What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chad Williams, wr, ariz (1 Viewer)

grateful zed

Footballguy
(Rotoworld) 98.7 Arizona's Mike Jurecki expects third-round WR Chad Williams to open the year as the Cardinals' No. 5 wideout.

Analysis: That's behind Larry Fitzgerald, John Brown, J.J. Nelson, and Jaron Brown. Williams is an intriguing height-weight-speed prospect out of Grambling State at 6'1/207 with 4.43 wheels. Fitzgerald talked Williams up at OTAs, but Williams is going to find it tough to make a 2017 impact if everyone is healthy.

John Brown = 5'10", 180 lbs.

Jaron Brown = 6', 200 lbs.

JJ Nelson = 5'10", 151 (yeah, 151) lbs.

They are basically the same guy, no?

Definitely a nice dynasty stash with Fitzgerald probably in his final season.  

Edit:  Well, maybe Nelson is in the same mold (ish) as Williams... but the Browns are definitely Smurfs.  

Last edited by a moderator:
John Brown = 5'10", 180 lbs.

Jaron Brown = 6', 200 lbs.

JJ Nelson = 5'10", 151 (yeah, 151) lbs.

They are basically the same guy, no?

Definitely a nice dynasty stash with Fitzgerald probably in his final season.  

Edit:  Well, maybe Nelson is in the same mold (ish) as Williams... but the Browns are definitely Smurfs.  
Jaron Brown is listed at 6'2" 205. Hes closer to Chad Williams than Nelson is size wise. 

I'll be targeting him at the end of the season. I don't think he's going to break out, but with Fitz's impending retirement he could easily pop next year.  There's also a good chance that he could end up getting dropped as the year goes on. People in my league aren't as patient with 3rd or 4th rounders and there's a lot of turnover there.

Jaron Brown is listed at 6'2" 205. Hes closer to Chad Williams than Nelson is size wise. 
2016    7.9    119    0.83    15.8                0
2015    11    144    1    23                
2014    22    229    2    32                
2013    10    127    1    17   

4 years of non relevance, chad passes him quickly.

Coach Bruce Arians called out third-round WR Chad Williams for being out of shape.

A favorite of the draft community for his high-end production at Grambling State and athletic measurables, Williams was being talked about as a potential sleeper in the spring. But it sounds like he's buried on the depth chart at the moment. "Until he gets in better condition he won't have a role," Arians said Tuesday. Williams isn't expected to be any higher than No. 5 on the depth chart come Week 1.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 1 - 8:46 PM

Coach Bruce Arians doesn't expect rookie WR Chad Williams to have an early-season role.

This has been the trending narrative on Williams after reporting to training camp out of shape. The Cardinals have a shaky depth chart behind Larry Fitzgerald, but Williams hasn't looked close to ready this preseason. It's shaping up as a developmental year for Williams.

Source:  ESPN

Aug 16 - 5:31 PM

Very bullish on Williams in dynasty leagues. Fitz compared to him to Anquan Boldin. Williams is a physical WR with good size, outstanding raw athletic ability, & strong hands (the trait Fitz specifically reminded him of Boldin).

Really came on in the pre-draft process & ended up being a 3rd round pick. That said, it's hard to say when he'll get his chance. I'm not expecting a whole lot until next season, but Williams could surprise if he can get some PT.

Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said third-round WR Chad Williams "is going to get his shot."

Arians hinted there was going to be a change to the receiver rotation following Sunday's loss, and John Brown's toe injury makes it even more likely Williams will get snaps. "Injuries are going to have some part of that, but it wouldn’t have mattered," Arians said. "He’s been practicing really, really well." Arizona has a nice schedule in the fantasy playoffs, making Williams a name to keep an eye on in deeper leagues.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter 

Nov 21 - 10:03 AM

Darren Urban of azcardinals.com lists Chad Williams as a projected starter.

He had him starting opposite veteran Larry Fitzgerald and ahead of both speedster J.J. Nelson, free agent signing Brice Butler and second-round rookie Christian Kirk. Williams was on the field for just 98 snaps as a rookie but should see more work this year following the offseason departures of John and Jaron Brown. "It just feels like Williams will be able to be the one who makes that step," said Urban. Fitzgerald is penciled in as the Cardinals' WR1, but it's anyone guess how the rest of the pecking order shakes out.

Source: azcardinals.com 

Jun 22 - 3:39 PM

Chad Williams is listed as the Cardinals' No. 2 receiver behind Larry Fitzgerald.

Williams gets the nod ahead of second-rounder Christian Kirk and J.J. Nelson. Williams was someone Bruce Arians' staff wanted to take on a bigger role down the stretch last season, but it never happened. Williams caught three balls for 44 yards this preseason. Williams entered the NFL as a high-end athlete who stuffed the stat sheet in college, but he was making the transition from small-school Grambling State. He should be more ready for the league in year two.

Sep 4 - 4:09 PM

Sam Bradford wants to get Chad Williams and Christian Kirk more involved in the Cardinals' passing game, especially early in games.

Coach Steve Wilks is also on board with getting more work for Williams and Kirk, who combined to catch one-of-five targets in Sunday's season-opening loss to Washington. "We targeted Larry [Fitzgerald] a lot last week, but I think those other guys are more than capable of making plays," said Wilks. "We've got to spread it around." Bradford showed zero chemistry with Arizona's non-Fitzgerald receivers in Week 1 and could be in danger of being replaced with first-round rookie Josh Rosen waiting in the wings. Offensively, the Cardinals are a disaster right now.

Related: Christian Kirk

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter 

Sep 12 - 7:55 PM

I'm adding him in dynasty to see how it shakes out.  He's currently listed a starter on the depth chart and has decent draft capital.  There is a new offensive coach in town who will likely go high volume passing attack if early indications are accurate... Fitz could still retire...

It's a long shot, but worth a roster spot for now if he gets dropped... Just in case he is the next Tyler Boyd. 

Cardinals’ 2019 WR Discussion

Excerpt:

Without question, this is a make or break year for 2017 3rd round pick Chad Williams. Williams came to camp in better shape last year and this year he will have to be in tip-top shape. It is imperative that Williams play with a giant chip on his shoulder, if he is going to make the roster and be a productive contributor. Chad Williams has the talent.

I think I own a share or two in my dynasty leagues but he's the first guy I'm dropping if I see something on the wire. I just think he would have shown SOMETHING, just a little flash if he really was going to be a player worth owning/starting in a dynasty league...

I drafted him in a couple of deep leagues and will wait to see how he is looking in camp, since he was small school and for those guys 3rd year is often the charm … but he's on a very short leash and reports better be awfully good about both production and lineup spot.

I dropped him at final cuts last year and don’t plan to pick him back up. He’s shown nothing.

hes on my wire. considering putting a very small bid on him, but I am expecting Arizona to take another wr this year. He hasnt shown anything to make me think hes any better than the other dime a dozen wrs to come through AZ lately not named Baldin or Fitzgerald 

He was terrible last year. I wouldn't completely rule out a 3rd round WR before his 3rd season, but it's not looking good for him.

He's got a 38% catch rate, is averaging 3.8 yards a target on over 50 targets.  I truly wonder if it's possible to find a WR with at least 50 targets who has been less productive.

Lots of talk in AZ about Antonio Brown maybe coming here. If that happens, Williams is even more useless. If that's even possible.

Lots of talk in AZ about Antonio Brown maybe coming here. If that happens, Williams is even more useless. If that's even possible.
Yeah I was going to put that in my post above, that they are in the AB sweepstakes. I cant imagine them giving up a 1st, even a 2020 1st. I would think maybe a 2019 2nd. 

People saying AZ would be dumb to get into the AB sweepstakes, but it wasnt that long ago when Arizona was one of the better teams in their division 

Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Kevin Zimmerman doesn't consider Chad Williams a lock to make the 53-man roster.

Williams missed six games last year, but he started seven when healthy. With the Cardinals adding rookies KeeSean Johnson, Andy Isabella, Hakeem Butler, and special teamer Damiere Byrd, he'll have to fight to keep his roster spot. It wouldn't be surprising if the Cardinals shop Williams this preseason.

SOURCE: arizonasports.com

Jun 29, 2019, 10:09 AM ET

The Arizona Republic expects the Cardinals to move on from Chad Williams.

Williams became expendable after Arizona drafted a trio of receivers. In a new regime, he's unlikely to make it past final cuts. Williams has good size and is still only 24, so it's possible he could fetch a late-round pick. Williams may be auditioning for other teams this preseason.

SOURCE: Arizona Republic

Jul 13, 2019, 10:15 AM ET

Chad Williams (lower body) has yet to practice at training camp.

Williams is losing valuable reps, and coach Kliff Kingsbury admitted it's been hard to evaluate Williams because he hasn't been on the field. A third-round pick in 2017, Williams looks to be one the outside looking in at a roster spot right now after the Cardinals drafted three wideouts behind Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk. We'd bet Williams isn't on the Cardinals come Week 1.

SOURCE: Josh Weinfuss on Twitter

Jul 31, 2019, 2:06 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread