What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It Appears Turkey Just Voted To Create Something Close To A Dictatorship (1 Viewer)

I listened to a podcast a few days ago that predicted this, mainly because over the past decade Erdogan has chipped away at their press to the point now that very few true critical journalists exists.  He said it was done very subtly, by giving funds to friendly newspapers and journalists and suggesting critical ones are bad.  Over the years, the Turks have no journalists that will investigate their leaders for fear of losing their jobs/businesses.  That leads to the public not being enlightened on their leaders.  Go figure, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
So he did?
Sort of.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/obama-turkey-225659

That doesn’t mean Obama has any love for Turkey’s longtime leader. Though he once saw him as a potential role model for Muslim leaders, Obama now considers Erdogan a thuggish autocrat who threatens Turkey's democracy almost as much as the generals who tried to overthrow him. But Obama also understands that he's stuck with Erdogan, a NATO partner he must deal with on critical security issues like the Islamic State and Syria. "You have to deal with the Turkey you have, rather than the one you'd like to have," said James Jeffrey, a former U.S. ambassador to Turkey under Obama.

I listened to a podcast a few days ago that predicted this, mainly because over the past decade Erdogan has chipped away at their press to the point now that very few true critical journalists exists.  He said it was done very subtly, by giving funds to friendly newspapers and journalists and suggesting critical ones are bad.  Over the years, the Turks have no journalists that will investigate their leaders for fear of losing their jobs/businesses.  That leads to the public not being enlightened on their leaders.  Go figure, right?
Wow, I would hate to live in a country where that sort of thing was happening.

Oh, wait...

Wow, I would hate to live in a country where that sort of thing was happening.

Oh, wait...
Were you upset when Obama administration was spying on journalists? Just curious

Regardless, journalism in this country isn't really journalism anymore, it's entertainment and propganda for targeted audiences

Were you upset when Obama administration was spying on journalists? Just curious

Regardless, journalism in this country isn't really journalism anymore, it's entertainment and propganda for targeted audiences
No

Only a moron would suggest party matters more than a free press.

Last edited by a moderator:
No

Only a moron would suggest party matters more than a free press.
That didn't bother you?
Sorry, I misread your question & answered 180 out from what I intended.

Let me try again. A respected, healthy and empowered fourth estate is an essential element of democracy. Politicians who attempt to limit or impede that part of our process are idiotic, though not quite as moronic as folks who think today's debate about Turkey is a left/right issue.

Let me know if I made that clear.

Yes pretty much this. Erdogan is intolerant of dissent and tries to silence all critics. There is no true freedom of press. 

I listened to a podcast a few days ago that predicted this, mainly because over the past decade Erdogan has chipped away at their press to the point now that very few true critical journalists exists.  He said it was done very subtly, by giving funds to friendly newspapers and journalists and suggesting critical ones are bad.  Over the years, the Turks have no journalists that will investigate their leaders for fear of losing their jobs/businesses.  Go figure, right?
Good thing we'd never elect someone that does this...

Users who are viewing this thread