What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 rookie pick 2.01 post combine (1 Viewer)

Who would you select for pick 2.01 in a 2 QB league rookie draft?

• Evan Engram

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Deshone Kizer

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Patrick Mahomes

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • David Njoku

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Taywan Taylor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carlos Henderson

• Zay Jones

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Samaje Perine

• D'Onta Foreman

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Marlon Mack

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Chris Godwin

• Curtis Samuel

• Cooper Kupp

• Dont play in this format

Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Other (please post who you voted for so that player can be added to the next poll)

• Total voters

Biabreakable

Footballguy
This poll is to find out where rookie players stack up after the combine.

My goal is to run these polls up until the NFL and see how far we can get. Hopefully a top 25 at least, but if polls go fast maybe we can get deeper than that. Will have to see how this goes.

There are two polls, one for typical 12 team leagues 20 roster spots, PPR or standard scoring. Although there are some differences between these two scoring formats, I don't think the information gained by that difference is much, the order should be about the same except that WR should be valued more in PPR leagues.

The second poll is for 2 QB leagues as I want to see where the QBs are valued compared to other players in this format.

Please suggest players you think should be on the next set of polls or changes you might make to the players currently available in the poll.

I am pulling names from Mike Clays nice top 100 list here. But I will add new players based on the communities recommendations before just adding the next player from Mikes list.

Discussion very welcome.

Results

1.01 Leonard Fournette 73% and 48% at 52 votes

1.02 Dalvin Cook 65% and 43.75% at 84 votes

1.03 Corey Davis 45% and 23.4% at 68 votes

1.04 Mike Williams 40% and 23% at 80 votes
1.05 Christian McCaffrey 53% and 26% at 70 votes

1.06 Joe Mixon 75% and 26% at 76 votes

1.07 OJ Howard 33% and Deshaun Watson 20% at 92 votes

1.08 Alvin Kamara 38% and OJ Howard 12% at 80 votes

1.09 John Ross 53.6% and 12/5% at 62 votes (tie between Ross and Trubisky in the 2QB poll broken by the ohter poll

1.10 JuJu Smith-Schuster 61.8% and Alvin Kamara 20.6% at 69 votes

1.11 David Njoku 25.4% and JuJu Smith=Schuster 23.4% at 67 votes

1.12 Evan Engram 22.2% and Mitch Trubisky 27% at 64 votes

I think, particularly as we move out of round #1, that an early pathway to playing time will be of more significance than talent. 

I generally agree with the first round but would draft going forward based upon landing spot.

I have Godwin as a top 10 guy in the class, so he's the choice for me here.

Ideal size, speed, and production against good competition. There's a lot to like and I think he ends up sneaking into the 1st round of the NFL draft. 

I voted Mack again, but probably would have voted Foreman if I'd waited to see his 40 time. Not that I am so swayed by straight line speed, but big, fast, and 2000 yard season is better than just big and a 2000 yard season.  

Now while we are still situation-independent, I go with Godwin.  Some of these lower tier RBs could jump him if they get drafted into a clear shot at playing time, but till we get that info next month, git to go with ceiling in round 2.

Just not seeing Foreman or Perine as high-ceiling plays.

I'm also on the Godwin train here, I think his name will heat up, and he will sneak into the 1st rd of some ffl drafts by the time they happen. Those ffl drafts that happen before the actual draft he will be a nice steal.

If we're playing in idp, and idp actually have value (as in they score decently and you start more than 2) I'm taking foster here. If he's still available. 

Ideal size, speed, and production against good competition. There's a lot to like and I think he ends up sneaking into the 1st round of the NFL draft. 
I'm curious as to why you are so high on Godwin as I see a guy with some real work to do at the next level.  I know he really showed up at the combine and had a good bowl game against USC but watching the rest of the game tape available left me sort of underwhelmed.  From where I sit, he looked to be pretty easily covered by single coverage, struggled to create separation at the line of scrimmage on press coverage, and greatly benefited by having Barkley drawing extra attention by the safeties.  He does seem like a very aggressive and willing blocker and won a couple of 50/50 balls, but his hands don't seem as natural as I would like to see.

Just curious what I am missing so I can sharpen my opinion on the guy and start to zero in on this WR group.

Surprised people are taking Kizer over foreman in 2qb. Yes Kizer is a qb, but he's not that likely to be drafted somewhere to start right away.  If I'm staying a developmental qb, give me Mahomes.  

I'm curious as to why you are so high on Godwin as I see a guy with some real work to do at the next level.  I know he really showed up at the combine and had a good bowl game against USC but watching the rest of the game tape available left me sort of underwhelmed.  From where I sit, he looked to be pretty easily covered by single coverage, struggled to create separation at the line of scrimmage on press coverage, and greatly benefited by having Barkley drawing extra attention by the safeties.  He does seem like a very aggressive and willing blocker and won a couple of 50/50 balls, but his hands don't seem as natural as I would like to see.

Just curious what I am missing so I can sharpen my opinion on the guy and start to zero in on this WR group.
I actually watched him more as a sophomore because I was doing weekly Big Ten writeups for college football DFS here at FBG in 2015, so I can't comment too specifically on his junior film. That sophomore year, he got hot midseason and was making multiple big plays downfield every game. I thought he played a little like Michael Thomas and did a good job with the little stuff (especially on slants), had a knack tracking deep balls and for going up and winning jump balls.  I ranked him pretty high as a devy last offseason and he's always just sort of passed the "eye test" for me. 

Anyway, I'm not very good at scouting reports, but Matt Harmon is the best in the biz when it comes to WRs and his in-depth take on Godwin is a good starting point:

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/reception-perception-chris-godwin-underrated-wide-receiver-2017-nfl-draft/

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually watched him more as a sophomore because I was doing weekly Big Ten writeups for college football DFS here at FBG in 2015, so I can't comment too specifically on his junior film. That sophomore year, he got hot midseason and was making multiple big plays downfield every game. I thought he played a little like Michael Thomas and did a good job with the little stuff (especially on slants), had a knack tracking deep balls and for going up and winning jump balls.  I ranked him pretty high as a devy last offseason and he's always just sort of passed the "eye test" for me. 

Anyway, I'm not very good at scouting reports, but Matt Harmon is the best in the biz when it comes to WRs and his in-depth take on Godwin is a good starting point:

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/reception-perception-chris-godwin-underrated-wide-receiver-2017-nfl-draft/
Appreciate it.  That article is definitely a good read. Thanks!

Matt Harmon was on a recent "On the Couch" and thinks Godwin will end up being a first round pick in the NFL draft by the time it comes around - some one can correct me if they heard differently - but I'm pretty sure he was still talking about Godwin.

Surprised people are taking Kizer over foreman in 2qb. Yes Kizer is a qb, but he's not that likely to be drafted somewhere to start right away.  If I'm staying a developmental qb, give me Mahomes.  
If I don't get Watson/Trubisky at 1.08/1.09 then I don't take a single QB unless "starter gets hurt in TC and now Team X is forced to start (insert other rookie QB here)"

Matt Harmon was on a recent "On the Couch" and thinks Godwin will end up being a first round pick in the NFL draft by the time it comes around - some one can correct me if they heard differently - but I'm pretty sure he was still talking about Godwin.
That's what I heard. He also thought Goodwin was a top 3 WR in this class and would rank him higher than Williams. 

Users who are viewing this thread