What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 rookie pick 1.06 post combine (Closed) (1 Viewer)

Who would you select for pick 1.06 in a 2 QB league rookie draft?

• Ju Ju Smith-Schuster

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Joe Mixon

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • OJ Howard

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • John Ross

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Evan Engram

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Deshaun Watson

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Mitch Trubisky

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Deshone Kizer

• Patrick Mahomes

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • David Njoku

• Taywan Taylor

• Kareem Hunt

• Zay Jones

• Dont play this format

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • Other (please post who you voted for so that player can be added to the next poll)

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Biabreakable

Footballguy
This poll is to find out where rookie players stack up after the combine.

My goal is to run these polls up until the NFL and see how far we can get. Hopefully a top 25 at least, but if polls go fast maybe we can get deeper than that. Will have to see how this goes.

There are two polls, one for typical 12 team leagues 20 roster spots, PPR or standard scoring. Although there are some differences between these two scoring formats, I don't think the information gained by that difference is much, the order should be about the same except that WR should be valued more in PPR leagues.

The second poll is for 2 QB leagues as I want to see where the QBs are valued compared to other players in this format.

Please suggest players you think should be on the next set of polls or changes you might make to the players currently available in the poll.

I am pulling names from Mike Clays nice top 100 list here. But I will add new players based on the communities recommendations before just adding the next player from Mikes list.

Discussion very welcome.

Results

1.01 Leonard Fournette 73% and 48% at 52 votes

1.02 Dalvin Cook 65% and 43.75% at 84 votes

1.03 Corey Davis 45% and 23.4% at 68 votes

1.04 Mike Williams 40% and 23% at 80 votes
1.05 Christian McCaffrey 53% and 26% at 70 votes

1.06 Joe Mixon 75% and 26% at 78 votes

Last edited by a moderator:
Mixon. I think there's a gap after Mixon. I expect all 6 to be startable at some point year 1.

Ross, Kamara, Howard and JuJu are the next tier. Happy (but not surprised) if I can start them year one but expect year 2 to be in my line up. 

Well I'm one of the 3 that voted for JuJu.   :unsure:
I'm really interested in this because I see him sliding to 10 or later, and I respect your thoughts a lot.  I see kamara as the consensus 7th guy and Ross, Howard and possibly one or two others sneaking ahead of him too. But a year ago juju would have been top 3. What's the argument for taking him here, and how high would you go? 

I think Ross is gonna be the first WR taken in the draft. Hes being overlooked in early rookie rankings imo.
He's more valuable to an nfl team than a fantasy team because he draws coverage away.  Do you see Ross as having higher fantasy upside than DeSean Jackson?  

My concerns are that he's not that fluid, he's going to be boom or bust every week, and he seems injury prone (I think most speed receivers are susceptible to hammy pulls and big hits because they're little guys putting a lot of torque on their bodies and a small decrease in speed can take away the most important part of their game). 

I'm really interested in this because I see him sliding to 10 or later, and I respect your thoughts a lot.  I see kamara as the consensus 7th guy and Ross, Howard and possibly one or two others sneaking ahead of him too. But a year ago juju would have been top 3. What's the argument for taking him here, and how high would you go? 
This would be as high as I go on him and it's close between him Mixon and OJ.  I don't view Ross or Kamara in the first round at all of rookie drafts so those guys aren't even on my mind.  From my notes I see JuJu as a better version of Mike Williams actually.  If you can name 3 guys whose speed is unmatched and ultra productive then I'll concede to Ross but he isn't a #1 wrs.  And I've said before that it's just hard for me to trust Mixon at 1.06.  JuJu seems safer with a super high ceiling so the safe aspect makes the choice for me.

He's more valuable to an nfl team than a fantasy team because he draws coverage away.  Do you see Ross as having higher fantasy upside than DeSean Jackson?  

My concerns are that he's not that fluid, he's going to be boom or bust every week, and he seems injury prone (I think most speed receivers are susceptible to hammy pulls and big hits because they're little guys putting a lot of torque on their bodies and a small decrease in speed can take away the most important part of their game). 
That's how I see him.  DeSean/wallace/fuller type.  Not quite as dynamic as Tyreek Hill but a good field stretcher. 

JuJu has nice size but he's not incredibly fast, not incredibly explosive, not incredibly strong, and I'm not sure where he dominates at in todays NFL. His ceiling is like the 20th best WR in the league unless he has that Keenan Allen like knack for getting DB's off balance........

JuJu has nice size but he's not incredibly fast, not incredibly explosive, not incredibly strong, and I'm not sure where he dominates at in todays NFL. His ceiling is like the 20th best WR in the league unless he has that Keenan Allen like knack for getting DB's off balance........
Dez Bryant 6'2 217 4.52 14 reps

Juju smith 6'2 215 4.54 15 reps

And like Bryant, his biggest strength is his strength.

But it also seems like he's projected to go in the late second or early third.  Seems similar to Michael Thomas last year in that there's a lot of good tape on him and he's got very good but not elite measurables, but he's considered that next tier down among WR prospects because something explainable happened to keep his stats down (for Thomas it was usage with Elliott leading the charge, for juju it was injuries).

So on the one hand he seems like a great buy low guy because he seems to have dez bryant potential.  On the other, it scares me that people see him as good but not great at anything like you said, or invoke the usc receivers suck in the nfl meme. 

I think Ross is gonna be the first WR taken in the draft. Hes being overlooked in early rookie rankings imo.
I'm not sure that would bump him up in dynasty drafts any more than it did for Fuller.

Lots of speed guys have been drafted much later in fantasy drafts than their NFL draft slot would dictate.  If anything the smaller guys that ended up excelling in the NFL were typically the ones picked later in the NFL draft (DJax, Hilton, Brown) compared to the ones that were picked early in the draft (Heyward-Bey, Ginn, Troy Williamson, Fuller). 

Dez Bryant 6'2 217 4.52 14 reps

Juju smith 6'2 215 4.54 15 reps

And like Bryant, his biggest strength is his strength.

But it also seems like he's projected to go in the late second or early third.  Seems similar to Michael Thomas last year in that there's a lot of good tape on him and he's got very good but not elite measurables, but he's considered that next tier down among WR prospects because something explainable happened to keep his stats down (for Thomas it was usage with Elliott leading the charge, for juju it was injuries).

So on the one hand he seems like a great buy low guy because he seems to have dez bryant potential.  On the other, it scares me that people see him as good but not great at anything like you said, or invoke the usc receivers suck in the nfl meme. 
I actually looked up Dez's numbers before I posted so it's funny that you used him as a comp too. I think it's a good comp but Dez is much more explosive. So JuJu is more of a poor man's Dez. 

He is faster, more explosive and roughly the same strength as Mike Williams, but people don't discount him.  I like him more than all the WR's other than Corey Davis in this years class but the arguments against him are fair (other than the USC thing).  Athletically doesn't seem to excel in 1 particular area, but he's a do everything kind of guy with injuries that MIGHT have played a part in that average athletic profile.  I saw similarities to Julio and Dez when I watched him, which made me really high on the guy.  He also seemed to run more routes than a guy like Williams, which is another reason I have him higher.  He needs to work on them but his exposure was more in tune with an all around player than a 1 trick pony.  

He is faster, more explosive and roughly the same strength as Mike Williams, but people don't discount him.  I like him more than all the WR's other than Corey Davis in this years class but the arguments against him are fair (other than the USC thing).  Athletically doesn't seem to excel in 1 particular area, but he's a do everything kind of guy with injuries that MIGHT have played a part in that average athletic profile.  I saw similarities to Julio and Dez when I watched him, which made me really high on the guy.  He also seemed to run more routes than a guy like Williams, which is another reason I have him higher.  He needs to work on them but his exposure was more in tune with an all around player than a 1 trick pony.  
Yeah I'm not high on Mike Williams either. Dez is still a better athlete. Its close but hes bigger, faster, more explosive. Julio is not a good comp. Julio is an out of this world athlete. 

I think hes more like Cooks than Fuller. Better hands and a much better route runner than Fuller. Hes a more complete WR than Fuller will ever be imo.

Users who are viewing this thread