What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg's Useless Trivia #24 (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
A collection of mostly useless but sometimes interesting things I've come across.

Links to previous Useless Trivia:

1) Canada's Wood Buffalo National Park is the second largest protected wilderness area in the world, larger than the nation of Switzerland. A researcher looking at satellite images of the park discovered a brown deforested patch in the middle of the park, about 3000 feet long and 500 feet wide. It turned out to be the world's largest known ________.

Beaver dam. Checking older satellite imagery shows the beaver dam has gradually been built up over the last 40 years by generations of beavers. With nothing but rugged wildness surrounding it and the park's huge size, the park rangers hadn't ever realized it existed.

2) The Great Lakes collectively contain about 20% of the planet's surface fresh water volume. However the world's largest fresh water lake contains a similar amount by itself. What lake is it?

Lake Baikal in Siberia. Though it is only the 7th biggest lake in terms of surface area, it is over a mile deep, making it the world's deepest lake and allowing it to hold a huge volume of water.

3) What do the following locations have in common?

A North Carolina Swamp
The Mediterranean Ocean
Waters 80 miles off Japan's Ryuku island chain
400 miles southwest of the Azore Islands

These are locations that nuclear weapons were lost and never recovered. The first three were losses from aircraft, the last one the sinking of the submarine USS Scorpion. 32 nuclear weapons in all are known to have been lost, with 6 still unaccounted for at the above locations including two in the Mediterranean plane crash and two in the USS Scorpion incident.

4) Operation Popeye was a US military operation that attacked another nation using what method?

Weather control. From 1967–1972, US aircraft seeded clouds in Southeast Asia to extend the monsoon season in select areas in support of US government efforts related to the Vietnam War. The resulting rains softened road surfaces to make the use of trucks on the Ho Chi Minh trail difficult, caused landslides and washed out river crossings. Tales of the program eventually went public in the press, and led to U.S. House and Senate resolutions in favor of banning environmental warfare being passed.

5) This city got it's current name in honor of the man who would become King James II.

New York City. Originally called New Amsterdam by the Dutch, when the English took over in 1664 they changed the name to New York to honor the Duke of York, who later became Kings James II.

6) What was the first human invention to break the sound barrier?

The whip. The crack it makes is a small sonic boom. I think I probably asked this one before.

7) How many eyes do iguanas have?

Three. They have a third, parietal eye on top of their heads. While they cannot see through it clearly like normal eyes, it allows them to make out shadows and motion above their heads.

http://www.greenigsociety.org/jpg/parietal.jpg

8) This species is part of an elite group that appears to be "biologically immortal", getting continually larger and stronger with age rather than deteriorating. In 2008 one was found that was 20 lbs and estimated to be 140 years old. Guinness reports another specimen found in 1977 was 44lbs and able to snap a man's arm with its claws.

Lobster.

9) At 507 years, this was the oldest animal on record. It could have lived longer, but in determining its age researchers had killed it before realizing they were in possession of the world's oldest animal.

Ming the clam.

http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles2/a99362_1384533365000-Ming-an-ocean-quahog-.jpg. Some other notable long-lived animals include a 250 year old tortoise, a 226 year old koi, and a 117 year old tuatara lizard which fathered his first brood of babies at the age of 111.

10) Coach Skinner was a high school gym teacher and basketball coach in Jacksonville. He once sent a group of students to the principal's office because their hair was too long, resulting in their suspension. This eventually became his claim to fame. How?

Coach Leonard Skinner's place in history was set when the suspended students later used his name as inspiration when naming their band, Lynyrd Skynyrd.

A collection of mostly useless but sometimes interesting things I've come across.

Links to previous Useless Trivia:

1) Canada's Wood Buffalo National Park is the second largest protected wilderness area in the world, larger than the nation of Switzerland. A researcher looking at satellite images of the park discovered a brown deforested patch in the middle of the park, about 3000 feet long and 500 feet wide. It turned out to be the world's largest known ________.

Beaver dam. Checking older satellite imagery shows the beaver dam has gradually been built up over the last 40 years by generations of beavers. With nothing but rugged wildness surrounding it and the park's huge size, the park rangers hadn't ever realized it existed.

2) The Great Lakes collectively contain about 20% of the planet's surface fresh water volume. However the world's largest fresh water lake contains a similar amount by itself. What lake is it?

Lake Baikal in Siberia. Though it is only the 7th biggest lake in terms of surface area, it is over a mile deep, making it the world's deepest lake and allowing it to hold a huge volume of water.

3) What do the following locations have in common?

A North Carolina Swamp
The Mediterranean Ocean
Waters 80 miles off Japan's Ryuku island chain
400 miles southwest of the Azore Islands

These are locations that nuclear weapons were lost and never recovered. The first three were losses from aircraft, the last one the sinking of the submarine USS Scorpion. 32 nuclear weapons in all are known to have been lost, with 6 still unaccounted for at the above locations including two in the Mediterranean plane crash and two in the USS Scorpion incident.

4) Operation Popeye was a US military operation that attacked another nation using what method?

Weather control. From 1967–1972, US aircraft seeded clouds in Southeast Asia to extend the monsoon season in select areas in support of US government efforts related to the Vietnam War. The resulting rains softened road surfaces to make the use of trucks on the Ho Chi Minh trail difficult, caused landslides and washed out river crossings. Tales of the program eventually went public in the press, and led to U.S. House and Senate resolutions in favor of banning environmental warfare being passed.

5) This city got it's current name in honor of the man who would become King James II.

New York City. Originally called New Amsterdam by the Dutch, when the English took over in 1664 they changed the name to New York to honor the Duke of York, who later became Kings James II.

6) What was the first human invention to break the sound barrier?

The whip. The crack it makes is a small sonic boom. I think I probably asked this one before.

7) How many eyes do iguanas have?

Three. They have a third, parietal eye on top of their heads. While they cannot see through it clearly like normal eyes, it allows them to make out shadows and motion above their heads.

http://www.greenigsociety.org/jpg/parietal.jpg

8) This species is part of an elite group that appears to be "biologically immortal", getting continually larger and stronger with age rather than deteriorating. In 2008 one was found that was 20 lbs and estimated to be 140 years old. Guinness reports another specimen found in 1977 was 44lbs and able to snap a man's arm with its claws.

Lobster.

9) At 507 years, this was the oldest animal on record. It could have lived longer, but in determining its age researchers had killed it before realizing they were in possession of the world's oldest animal.

Ming the clam.

http://www.oddee.com/_media/imgs/articles2/a99362_1384533365000-Ming-an-ocean-quahog-.jpg. Some other notable long-lived animals include a 250 year old tortoise, a 226 year old koi, and a 117 year old tuatara lizard which fathered his first brood of babies at the age of 111.

10) Coach Skinner was a high school gym teacher and basketball coach in Jacksonville. He once sent a group of students to the principal's office because their hair was too long, resulting in their suspension. This eventually became his claim to fame. How?

Coach Leonard Skinner's place in history was set when the suspended students later used his name as inspiration when naming their band, Lynyrd Skynyrd.
For 9 you forgot to include the Greenland Shark.

EYLive said:
I saw both 6 and 8 as the number. One site said 8 but had a lot of detail, and 2 of them I don't think could be considered viable. Like on one the conventional explosives went off on impact so it was presumably wrecked beyond use, so I went with 6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I didn't mention it in the list, but I think my favorite was an ordinary fishbowl variety gold fish that lived... think it was 49 years.

Users who are viewing this thread