What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

POLL CLOSED Player #7 Community Dynasty Rankings (1 Viewer)

Who would you rank seventh in a 12 team dynasty league, QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/K/DEF PPR with standard

• Amari Cooper

Votes: 15 19.0%
  • Todd Gurley

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • AJ Green

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • TY Hilton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Julio Jones

Votes: 52 65.8%
  • Devonta Freeman

• Rookie Pick 1.1

• DeAndre Hopkins

• Dez Bryant

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Melvin Gordon

• Brandin Cooks

• Other (Place name in reply so I can add it)

• Total voters
To me this is where the parsing out of micro differences between players begins. In seeing players #1-#6, I found it easy to vote, my choice was clear and did not require much reflection.

I went AJ Green here because I think he is the safest choice left. Julio has a higher ceiling but tends to be nicked more often. As a matter of preference, I seek to minimize risk during the early portions of player allocations, but that is just me- I recognize that others have a different way of prioritizing and look forward to hearing about it.

I think you can go quicker on these, like after 15-20 votes.  Maybe a few more if a couple players are very close. 

But nice job on these though

I think you can go quicker on these, like after 15-20 votes.  Maybe a few more if a couple players are very close. 

But nice job on these though
Yeah especially when it's a blowout.  At the very least if the number of remaining votes to get to 50 aren't enough to knock out the 1st place player (IE if he's up by 20 and there have already been 40 votes cast, 10 more votes can't change that).

Either way agreed thanks for doing this Brisco, it's been fun.

Ack88 said:
To me this is where the parsing out of micro differences between players begins. In seeing players #1-#6, I found it easy to vote, my choice was clear and did not require much reflection.

I went AJ Green here because I think he is the safest choice left. Julio has a higher ceiling but tends to be nicked more often. As a matter of preference, I seek to minimize risk during the early portions of player allocations, but that is just me- I recognize that others have a different way of prioritizing and look forward to hearing about it.
For me Julio Jones is about the same value as Brown and the others that have gone so far. This poll helped me decide that I would go with Brown and Jones over Bell due to risk of suspension for Bell.

Bell has already been voted for, but AJ Green is rght there with Jones and Brown to me as well, not sure I take Green over Bell though. 

The main difference between Jones and Green over the last 3 seasons is that Jones has missed 3 games while Green has missed 9 games. So Green isn't really safer than Jones because of injury risk. Jones who just turned 28  is also younger than Green by 7 months, Green will be 29 in July, so a year younger at the beginning of the 2017 season.

Last year Julio was considered a clear top three, with Green the most common four.  That he's down to 7th now looks like a steal, since I didn't see anything this past year that makes me pessimistic about him longterm.  Not worried too much going forward about the foot, and losing Kyle could actually mean more TD opportunities...

Not sure how rest of you are voting but I'm voting like it's a startup and who I'd pick if it was a startup. No way, no way I say, am I picking a 28/29 year old WR in the first round of startup when I can get 23 year old highly pedigreed WR with a back to back 1,000 yards seasons and a likely long term QB at his disposal. So I've been voting for Cooper for a few votes now.

Not sure how rest of you are voting but I'm voting like it's a startup and who I'd pick if it was a startup. No way, no way I say, am I picking a 28/29 year old WR in the first round of startup when I can get 23 year old highly pedigreed WR with a back to back 1,000 yards seasons and a likely long term QB at his disposal. So I've been voting for Cooper for a few votes now.
It's one way to approach it, but that's if you're doing a startup and looking long term.

I'm approaching this as, in most leagues, would I trade player X for player Y.  I don't see myself trading Julio straight for Amari, for instance, in anything but a complete rebuild, and even then, I'm not doing it unless I'm getting some more back.  Similarly, even in a startup, I don't think I'm pulling that trigger and just trying to move back to get "something" along with Amari for Julio.

I do have Cooper in the same tier as Jones and Brown, however I would take Jones and Brown before Cooper because of their higher points per game totals.

Antonio Brown 23 points per game.

Julio Jones 20.3 points per game.

Amari Cooper 14 points per game.

Cooper would need to be putting up elite level numbers like Beckham (21.2) for the age difference to matter enough for me to take Cooper higher than Jones or Brown.

I believe Brown and Jones still have 3 to four elite level seasons before a decline in performance due to age might cause that to slip, Brown will be 32 years old in 2020, Jones will be 31. Both players will still likely be strong WR 2 after they do reach this age as well.

Cooper needs to show he can produce at a higher level (top 5 WR) than he has for him being younger to trump the points per game difference. At least for me.

Which brings me to Keenan Allen who has produced 22.1 points per game over his last 23 games and only two years older than Cooper. Allen is less safe due to the injuries and also I think some better receivers around him than a couple seasons ago, but it is kind of hard to argue that Cooper is a tier ahead of Allen by these numbers, or ahead of him at all. 

I do have Cooper in the same tier as Jones and Brown, however I would take Jones and Brown before Cooper because of their higher points per game totals.

Cooper would need to be putting up elite level numbers like Beckham (21.2) for the age difference to matter enough for me to take Cooper higher than Jones or Brown.

I believe Brown and Jones still have 3 to four elite level seasons before a decline in performance due to age might cause that to slip, Brown will be 32 years old in 2020, Jones will be 31. Both players will still likely be strong WR 2 after they do reach this age as well.

Cooper needs to show he can produce at a higher level (top 5 WR) than he has for him being younger to trump the points per game difference. At least for me.

Which brings me to Keenan Allen who has produced 22.1 points per game over his last 23 games and only two years older than Cooper. Allen is less safe due to the injuries and also I think some better receivers around him than a couple seasons ago, but it is kind of hard to argue that Cooper is a tier ahead of Allen by these numbers, or ahead of him at all. 
Cooper was much better in PPG in the 1st half of the season (19ppg) despite only 2 TDs, then faded down the stretch for the 2nd straight year alongside a few nagging injuries again.

Hard to know how much to account for two straight years of weak finishes after strong starts, and how that balances out overall.

It's one way to approach it, but that's if you're doing a startup and looking long term.

I'm approaching this as, in most leagues, would I trade player X for player Y.  I don't see myself trading Julio straight for Amari, for instance, in anything but a complete rebuild, and even then, I'm not doing it unless I'm getting some more back.  Similarly, even in a startup, I don't think I'm pulling that trigger and just trying to move back to get "something" along with Amari for Julio.
Even on an existing "win now" team I still might value Cooper over Julio, in fact on one team I know I do. It's been first or second in every category for 3 years in a row with Julio/Brown and the team looks better than ever next season but I still offered Julio for Cooper. Got rejected.

Now if my other stud WR with Brown was a younger player like Evans or Odell I might look at it different but I felt like I could risk giving up a few points.

I mentioned age but I do look a little deeper, which is why I value Brown over Julio. Don't like to speak ill of Julio, probably best WR in football today but if I'm going to identify a WR I'm going to choose to ride till their end of their career I'm choosing Brown because he's currently as good or better than Julio in PPG and does not take nearly the same kind of physical pounding.

I

Got to explain to me how you are coming up with those PPG numbers. That a 3 year look back or something, because that's more PPG then Brown or Julio put up last year but lower than their career averages? Serious question.

Even on an existing "win now" team I still might value Cooper over Julio, in fact on one team I know I do. It's been first or second in every category for 3 years in a row with Julio/Brown and the team looks better than ever next season but I still offered Julio for Cooper. Got rejected.

Now if my other stud WR with Brown was a younger player like Evans or Odell I might look at it different but I felt like I could risk giving up a few points.

I mentioned age but I do look a little deeper, which is why I value Brown over Julio. Don't like to speak ill of Julio, probably best WR in football today but if I'm going to identify a WR I'm going to choose to ride till their end of their career I'm choosing Brown because he's currently as good or better than Julio in PPG and does not take nearly the same kind of physical pounding.

Got to explain to me how you are coming up with those PPG numbers. That a 3 year look back or something, because that's more PPG then Brown or Julio put up last year but lower than their career averages? Serious question.
Yes I am using seasons 2014-2016 as the sample size for those numbers. The goal to try to have the most recent 3 seasons of data, which Cooper only has two so far.

Cooper gets way to much credit in FF just for being young.  Clearly a tier below the others in conversation to me...I'd even take Watkins ahead of him.

We also see Julio being 28 differently.  I dont think round 1 of a startup is the time to gamble on youth that hasn't had an OBJ-level breakout.  Five more years of a proven commodity in Julio isn't unreasonable to expect, is likely a longer value window than earlier choices Bell and Johnson, and (sadly, but significantly) likely exceeds the lifespan of the median dynasty startup.

Too great a risk that the startup folds just when your young guys come into their own not to lock up some solid immediate value in the mid-first, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread