What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is Puerto Rico’s energy infrastructure went from poor to non-existent.  It’s going to take a long time to build a completely new system.  Large parts of PR will be without power for a while.

OK, that's a wrap on our pool, guys.  If you had "the needless deaths of hundreds of American citizens" as the endpoint of the Trump troll shtick, you lose.  If you had "there is no bottom," you're a winner. Please PM me for payment information.
There are no real winners with this sad trolling.

Is the real reason Trump is threatening to pull out of PR because he feels he is not getting enough credit?
I dunno, would he be saying the same about Texas if they were in the same situation?

He just views PR as not as important as the "real" states, IMO.

went to a corporate event last night, hosted by a big consulting firm in dc.  At one point, they had 5 or 6 congressmen come and give off the cuff thoughts, and take questions from the crowd.  All except one were Republican congressmen, including a couple tea party guys.  None of them came out and said it, but I could tell the disdain they have for the administration.  It's palpable.  One question (to a Republican) was about DACA.  He said something along the lines of: "we really do want to get a deal, and I think we will get one.  We'll just need to get something in return, like more money for border security.  Not a 2000 mile wall; that's just ridiculous.  No, just border security."

The border wall being "ridiculous" -- I'm almost positive that is a direct quote. 
My company's PAC has hosted probably half a dozen Republican Congressmen/Senators over the last year.  All but 1 did the exact dance you just described; they used diplomatic language and non-verbal gestures to express their frustration and make it obvious that they had similar feelings about Trump.  The one that didn't distance himself was Duncan Hunter, who discussed how much he liked killing people indiscriminatly while he was in Iraq and how he 100% supported Trump. He's insane. 

Is the real reason Trump is threatening to pull out of PR because he feels he is not getting enough credit?
I don’t believe he wants disaster relief to transition to getting stuck with rebuilding Puerto Rico.  Given how poor Puerto Rico’s financial and infrastructure situations were prior to the hurricane I can see how one could lead to the other.

They have their own government.  They don’t pay federal income taxes to the US government.  They pay taxes into their own system to maintain and build their own infrastructure.

Disaster relief, crisis management support, loans, helping them restructure their debt, etc. is what we should be doing.  Rebuilding their electrical grid and highway/road systems is something we should not be doing.  Not on a grand scale anyway.

I don’t believe he wants disaster relief to transition to getting stuck with rebuilding Puerto Rico.  Given how poor Puerto Rico’s financial and infrastructure situations were prior to the hurricane I can see how one could lead to the other.

They have their own government.  They don’t pay federal income taxes to the US government.  They pay taxes into their own system to maintain and build their own infrastructure.

Disaster relief, crisis management support, loans, helping them restructure their debt, etc. is what we should be doing.  Rebuilding their electrical grid and highway/road systems is something we should not be doing.  Not on a grand scale anyway.
They're Americans.  Period.

I assume most of you have Riversco on ignore but if what he says is actually what the alt-right or even Republican Party thinks/believes... then holy #### is our country in for a world of hurt. The Republicans better shape up because they allowed the Tea Party to “take over” a little and now they appear to have flooded the party with this new way of thinking. The alt-right makes Germany look like a baby with some of this thinking. Europe and the world should be scared because who the #### knows what the alt-right is capable of if they have power. Democrats better put some person up that has great appeal who can help shelve this cancer in our history. Scary times. 

I assume most of you have Riversco on ignore but if what he says is actually what the alt-right or even Republican Party thinks/believes... then holy #### is our country in for a world of hurt. The Republicans better shape up because they allowed the Tea Party to “take over” a little and now they appear to have flooded the party with this new way of thinking. The alt-right makes Germany look like a baby with some of this thinking. Europe and the world should be scared because who the #### knows what the alt-right is capable of if they have power. Democrats better put some person up that has great appeal who can help shelve this cancer in our history. Scary times. 
The alt-right only has power if the moderates on the right are willing to go along for the ride as part of a faustian bargain.  I'm glad the Bob Corkers are finally beginning to state publically what we've all known for years now, but let's be honest, many of them owe their political careers to trading on a slightly less overt version of the Trumpism we're seeing now. Dog whistles have been an essential part of Republican strategy for decades.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. It’s a unique situation.
The situation is not technically "unique", as the people of PR have the same citizenship status as other organized U.S. territories (Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Hawaii prior to official statehood, etc.).

My understanding is Puerto Rico’s energy infrastructure went from poor to non-existent.  It’s going to take a long time to build a completely new system.  Large parts of PR will be without power for a while.
Good to know as the death count continues to rise.

Only if you're playing political :hophead:  games.  The way PR has been treated for a very long time is despicable.  
Puerto Rico is not a state.  The legal relationship between the federal government and Puerto Rico is entirely different than the relationship between the federal government and a state.  That’s not playing political games. It’s just a fact.

This Columbia Journamlism Review piece (apologies if it was posted already, I lose track sometimes between here and Twitter) suggests that Riversco is correct in one way. The goal of right wing media is to destroy mainstream media's credibility. Their reporters, their investigations, their "facts" all have to be blown up so that the alt-right viewpoint gets equality of presentation without having to do any of the actual work of establishing credibility.

The goal is, and always has been, a re-establishment of a political and cultural order of a time gone bye. If that means pulling NBC's "license" to make a point to all the rest of the opponents, then there will be no outcry from the right.

David Frum‏ @davidfrum 4h4 hours ago

Trump’s attitude to suffering on Puerto Rico an ominous indicator

of his likely attitude toward fatalities on the Korean Peninsula
:lmao:

Come on, man. If it isn't patently obvious by now that Trump only gives a #### about himself and Ivanka, then Mr. Frum hasn't been paying very close attention.

Chuck Schumer‏ @SenSchumer 4h4 hours ago

Replying to @realDonaldTrump

FEMA needs to stay until the job is done and right now, it's not even close to done.

The alt-right only has power if the moderates on the right are willing to go along for the ride as part of a faustian bargain.  I'm glad the Bob Corkers are finally beginning to state publically what we've all known for years now, but let's be honest, many of them owe their political careers to trading on a slightlyovert version of the Trumpism we're seeing now. Dog whistles have been an essential part of Republican strategy for decades.  
I’m not sure I’d say “decades”. Unless you just mean the last 20 years. This way of thinking is fairly new, imo. Like 2006ish type new. Some people hated the rise of Obama/Clinton and hatred spewed quick from the likes of FOX/O’Reilly etc., and talk radio. I guess what I’m saying is that hatred spreads quick. Peace/equality take time. 

Come on, man. If it isn't patently obvious by now that Trump only gives a #### about himself and Ivanka, then Mr. Frum hasn't been paying very close attention.
Frum has been paying very close attention, but obviously others on the right, including many Republicans/conservatives have not (see Trump supporters like HT on this forum in particular). So something like this needs to be pointed out even if it seems redundant.

Only if you're playing political :hophead:  games.  The way PR has been treated for a very long time is despicable.  
Puerto Rico is not a state.  The legal relationship between the federal government and Puerto Rico is entirely different than the relationship between the federal government and a state.  That’s not playing political games. It’s just a fact.
as I said before.......

Look, they are "different" because our politicians choose to treat them "different" and in doing so, they have created a convenient rock to hide behind when it comes to helping them.  We all know this to be absolutely true.  I get how things are technically "different"....NONE of those differences preclude our government from doing the right thing for those American citizens.  The way PR has been treated for a very long time is despicable.  

Increasingly, everyone on the right believes the democrat party is full of people who are racist against whites.  And that is driving the right to become increasingly racist themselves.  Its a mess.  
Demanding black people be treated equally is now "racist against whites"...... got it.  Black people being treated equally is not driving anyone to become more racist.  They already were racist and now it's starting to show.  

I dunno, would he be saying the same about Texas if they were in the same situation?

He just views PR as not as important as the "real" states, IMO.
He literally did not say the same:

"TEXAS: We are with you today, we are with you tomorrow, and we will be with you EVERY SINGLE DAY AFTER, to restore, recover, and REBUILD!"

PR: "...We cannot keep FEMA, the Military & the First Responders, who have been amazing (under the most difficult circumstances) in P.R. forever!"

This Columbia Journamlism Review piece (apologies if it was posted already, I lose track sometimes between here and Twitter) suggests that Riversco is correct in one way. The goal of right wing media is to destroy mainstream media's credibility. Their reporters, their investigations, their "facts" all have to be blown up so that the alt-right viewpoint gets equality of presentation without having to do any of the actual work of establishing credibility.

The goal is, and always has been, a re-establishment of a political and cultural order of a time gone bye. If that means pulling NBC's "license" to make a point to all the rest of the opponents, then there will be no outcry from the right.
Like this?

Chuck Schumer‏ @SenSchumer 4h4 hours ago

Replying to @realDonaldTrump

FEMA needs to stay until the job is done and right now, it's not even close to done.
This is an example of how Trump is a guy in the White House with a twitter account while his government just operates around him. FEMA will do their job.

The idea the left is not coming to grips with is it is not 1968 anymore.   Back then something like 70% of republicans trusted the mainstream press. So tactics being employed today would work back then.  But today that number is 0% so those same tactics only make the left look increasingly out of touch and make things worse.  

They need a massive change in strategy. Adapt or die. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread