What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MotoSafety - tracking teen driver (1 Viewer)

berndog

Footballguy
I'm looking for a way to monitor how fast my son is driving my car when he is by himself.  Is anyone here familiar with the MotoSafety device or use something similar?

My 17 year old son has had his license for 6 months and is driving my van to school etc.  Last night we went to my daughters band concert in separate cars.  After the concert I see  a van speeding thru the crowded parking lot.  At first I was like who is that idiot driving so fast then quickly realized it was my son.  He swears he never drives like that but I know he is full of crap.  For his safety and others I want to know how he drives when I'm not in the car. 

I'm sure this is not a unique situation so how have others handled this? 

Look into an app called Romex.  You can install it on your son's phone, and there's a buddy app that you install on yours that tells you speed and what not.  I think the app will also lock his phone down when it detects he's moving so he can't text, watch videos, etc while driving. My aunt has it on my cousin's phone and she swears by it.

Look into an app called Romex.  You can install it on your son's phone, and there's a buddy app that you install on yours that tells you speed and what not.  I think the app will also lock his phone down when it detects he's moving so he can't text, watch videos, etc while driving. My aunt has it on my cousin's phone and she swears by it.
So he can't use his phone as a passenger in a car or on a bus or on a train?

So he can't use his phone as a passenger in a car or on a bus or on a train?
So, I know very little about the app, havn't looked into it myself as my kids are 4 and 2, but I know it uses GPS to determine if he's moving too fast and locks his phone down based on what my aunt was talking to my mom about.  Maybe she just decided that she was willing to force her son to lose that ability in exchange for knowing he'd never be a "distracted driver".  Who knows.

No advice as I still have 6 years before this is a possibility.

We'll have automated flying cars by then, right?

No advice as I still have 6 years before this is a possibility.

We'll have automated flying cars by then, right?
There are automated ground cars already, why do we need flying ones?  I don't want to get in an accident and fall from the sky.

So, I know very little about the app, havn't looked into it myself as my kids are 4 and 2, but I know it uses GPS to determine if he's moving too fast and locks his phone down based on what my aunt was talking to my mom about.  Maybe she just decided that she was willing to force her son to lose that ability in exchange for knowing he'd never be a "distracted driver".  Who knows.
What if he's kidnapped and stuffed in a trunk and can't call for help?

did they think of that?

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife's ex husband installed something like this on my setp-daughters phone when she got her license.  One day he gets an alert that she is currently traveling 75 mph.  He immediately calls her (yeah, makes a lot of sense) and interrogates her about why she is traveling so fast.  Turns out she was on a school bus traveling back from her volleyball game.

Not sure if these apps have gotten better as this was a few years ago.  Verizon is advertising their plug in deal that is a monitoring tool for the kids if you have Verizon.

Really.? I'm not crazy for not wanting my child to kill themselves or others?
I have no idea why you caught so much grief for that.

Grounding is ZOMG!$# unreasonable, but putting an electronic tracker on your child is sensible? :shrug:
The only reason I thought twice about his comment was that taking away the car for a week for any amount of speeding sounds a little excessive to me. Extreme example, but doing 51 in a 50 doesn't seem worthy of the punishment. I'd be horribly hypocritical if I enforced that rule, as I'm typically 6-9  miles over (freeway - not taking many chances speeding on local roads given the gustapo by my place).

He didn't explicitly say he'd punish/ground the kid for any amount of speeding, but one could read it that way. Either way, I wouldn't say "OMG - don't ever have kids" to somebody who doesn't want their kids to speed. But what do I know, I don't have kids yet... 

Last edited by a moderator:
I did punish him for speeding in the parking lot.  Riding the bus gave him time to think what a privilege and responsibility it is to drive.

Now I'm looking for a way to monitor his driving habits when I am not in the car with him.  I simply will use it for a short time to monitor his speed and correct his behavior if needed to keep himself and others safe.  There is so much technology available today it think it would be silly not to use it.

Users who are viewing this thread