What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nixon Even Worse than I Thought (1 Viewer)

whoknew

Footballguy
This article is on the NY Times - so its behind a paywall. But new notes discovered from H.R. Haldeman show Nixon directed his staff to interfere with LBJ's peace negotiations with Vietnam. What a scumbag. Not totally surprising - Nixon was a terrible person who only cared about himself. But still ridiculous.

Nixon's Vietnam Treachery

A newfound cache of notes left by H. R. Haldeman, his closest aide, shows that Nixon directed his campaign’s efforts to scuttle the peace talks, which he feared could give his opponent, Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, an edge in the 1968 election. On Oct. 22, 1968, he ordered Haldeman to “monkey wrench” the initiative.

He was so revered before this story broke. Hope it doesn't gain too much traction, hate to see Nixon's legacy tarnished.
The next paragraph in that article:

The 37th president has been enjoying a bit of a revival recently, as his achievements in foreign policy and the landmark domestic legislation he signed into law draw favorable comparisons to the presidents (and president-elect) that followed. A new, $15 million face-lift at the Nixon presidential library, while not burying the Watergate scandals, spotlights his considerable record of accomplishment.

This article is on the NY Times - so its behind a paywall. But new notes discovered from H.R. Haldeman show Nixon directed his staff to interfere with LBJ's peace negotiations with Vietnam. What a scumbag. Not totally surprising - Nixon was a terrible person who only cared about himself. But still ridiculous.

Nixon's Vietnam Treachery

A newfound cache of notes left by H. R. Haldeman, his closest aide, shows that Nixon directed his campaign’s efforts to scuttle the peace talks, which he feared could give his opponent, Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, an edge in the 1968 election. On Oct. 22, 1968, he ordered Haldeman to “monkey wrench” the initiative.
Probably wouldn't have made much difference but if true thats pretty fn bad.

Then again so were the treasonous lies Kerry used to dishonor an entire generation of our veterans around the same time (relatively speaking).

Then theres illegally paying the terrorist Iranian gov billions of dollars (who r killing our soldiers) and orchestrating a knife in the back of israel on your way out of office. Yes, nixon was a bad guy but prbly not nearly as bad as Ted K, Kerry and the jv community organizing narcissistic ideologue in office at the moment.

occasionally, i think you aren't but you reallyreally are. quite sad...
Newsflash: Ted Kennedy was a horrendous human being in so so many ways; ignorance isn't always bliss.....................

“On 9-10 May of this year,” the May 14 memorandum explained, “Sen. Edward Kennedy’s close friend and trusted confidant [John] Tunney was in Moscow.” (Tunney was Kennedy’s law school roommate and a former Democratic senator from California.) “The senator charged Tunney to convey the following message, through confidential contacts, to the General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, Y. Andropov.”

Kennedy’s message was simple. He proposed an unabashed quid pro quo. Kennedy would lend Andropov a hand in dealing with President Reagan. In return, the Soviet leader would lend the Democratic Party a hand in challenging Reagan in the 1984 presidential election. “The only real potential threats to Reagan are problems of war and peace and Soviet-American relations,” the memorandum stated. “These issues, according to the senator, will without a doubt become the most important of the election campaign.”

http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/27/ted-kennedy-soviet-union-ronald-reagan-opinions-columnists-peter-robinson.html

Last edited by a moderator:
why are there flies in here in January?! i definitely hear the buzz of ####-sniffing vermin, they even seem to be trying to form intelligible sounds, but you'd think it would be just too wintry for them now. hmmmm -

Newsflash: Ted Kennedy was a horrendous human being in so so many ways; ignorance isn't always bliss.....................

“On 9-10 May of this year,” the May 14 memorandum explained, “Sen. Edward Kennedy’s close friend and trusted confidant [John] Tunney was in Moscow.” (Tunney was Kennedy’s law school roommate and a former Democratic senator from California.) “The senator charged Tunney to convey the following message, through confidential contacts, to the General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, Y. Andropov.”

Kennedy’s message was simple. He proposed an unabashed quid pro quo. Kennedy would lend Andropov a hand in dealing with President Reagan. In return, the Soviet leader would lend the Democratic Party a hand in challenging Reagan in the 1984 presidential election. “The only real potential threats to Reagan are problems of war and peace and Soviet-American relations,” the memorandum stated. “These issues, according to the senator, will without a doubt become the most important of the election campaign.”

http://www.forbes.com/2009/08/27/ted-kennedy-soviet-union-ronald-reagan-opinions-columnists-peter-robinson.html
Or that could be utter nonsense with serious issues with credibility. The short version: Tunney denies it. No record from from Reagan Library, Senate Historical Office, and the "source" is a KGB officer. 

Despite such public disagreements, the memoirs of Reagan's disarmament negotiator Max Kampelman suggest that the administration appreciated the back-channel information conduit that Kennedy maintained with the Soviets.

Kampelman's memoirs say he welcomed Kennedy's contact with the Soviets and in 1985 Reagan approved the arrangement.

"I learned that the senator never acted or received information without informing the appropriate United States agency of official," Kampelman wrote

Then again so were the treasonous lies Kerry used to dishonor an entire generation of our veterans around the same time (relatively speaking).
Wow, that's a pretty long stretch there, considering that Kerry was serving in the military at the time and was not discharged until over a year later.

Kerry got his first Purple Heart (of 3 that he was awarded) a month AFTER Nixon tried to sabotage peace.

But yeah, treasonous lies. :rolleyes:

[scooter] said:
Wow, that's a pretty long stretch there, considering that Kerry was serving in the military at the time and was not discharged until over a year later.

Kerry got his first Purple Heart (of 3 that he was awarded) a month AFTER Nixon tried to sabotage peace.

But yeah, treasonous lies. :rolleyes:
We are talking about almost 50 years ago, so yes as I said, "around the same time (relatively speaking)" is when the fraudulent clown Kerry gave his treasonous winter soldier testimony.

saintfool said:
Or that could be utter nonsense with serious issues with credibility. The short version: Tunney denies it. No record from from Reagan Library, Senate Historical Office, and the "source" is a KGB officer.
I know this is a totally separate issue from the OP...

..... but:

- Of course (if true) Tunney would deny it.

- If Kennedy communicated with Andropov via Tunney, then there is little reason that Kennedy would have put that into the Senate archives and we can be sure Kennedy would not have told the WH about it.

- The fact that it turns up in KGB archives is pretty damning. That would have been a contemporaneous record. Now it's true that KGB officers had a bad record (like a lot of Soviet industries) of inventing accomplishments which never happened, that I could see....

At any rate, more here:

In 1992, Tim Sebastian published a story about the memorandum in the London Times. Here in the U.S., Sebastian’s story received no attention. In his 2006 book, The Crusader: Ronald Reagan and the Fall of Communism, historian Paul Kengor reprinted the memorandum in full. “The media,” Kengor says, “ignored the revelation.”

“The document,” Kengor continues, “has stood the test of time. I scrutinized it more carefully than anything I’ve ever dealt with as a scholar. I showed the document to numerous authorities who deal with Soviet archival material. No one has debunked the memorandum or shown it to be a forgery. Kennedy’s office did not deny it.”

I know this is a totally separate issue from the OP...

..... but:

- Of course (if true) Tunney would deny it.

- If Kennedy communicated with Andropov via Tunney, then there is little reason that Kennedy would have put that into the Senate archives and we can be sure Kennedy would not have told the WH about it.

- The fact that it turns up in KGB archives is pretty damning. That would have been a contemporaneous record. Now it's true that KGB officers had a bad record (like a lot of Soviet industries) of inventing accomplishments which never happened, that I could see....

At any rate, more here:

this whole story is based on a single KGB memo found in a KGB officer's files? color me skeptical. for me, it's not so much that Kennedy would write a memo that documents anything that is suggested here. but rather there is no mention of it in Reagan's or anyone else's notes. There would be gossip after all from someone not of the Soviet KGB variety, 

Users who are viewing this thread