What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need a good kitchen knife. (1 Viewer)

jamny

Footballguy
One "must have" kitchen knife. Not looking for a set.

Something for both slicing meat and cutting up vegetables.

As a chef, I use a seven inch chef knife at home for almost everything. Mine is a very basic wood handle, fully forged and full tang. You being able to keep it sharp is more important than spending a bunch of money on an expensive knife.

wait... you've said many, many times before that you don't cook and won't ever cook. EVER.

:oldunsure:

what do you need the knife for, gb? 

wait... you've said many, many times before that you don't cook and won't ever cook. EVER.

:oldunsure:

what do you need the knife for, gb? 
Wrong poster. I love cooking and grilling and have been stepping it up over the past few months.

As a chef, I use a seven inch chef knife at home for almost everything. Mine is a very basic wood handle, fully forged and full tang. You being able to keep it sharp is more important than spending a bunch of money on an expensive knife.
At what restaurant (if not a private chef) are you a chef?  

I just bought a $4 knife sharpener thing on Amazon. I'm sure it's not the best but I was surprised how much it helped and brought life back to our knives. 

THIS!

I have a couple Henkels at home but my go to is a $10-20 white plastic handle restaurant supply chef knife that i run through a $9 accusharp before every use or two. Thing is about a decade old and only took it in once for a professional resharpening. Prob due for another one. 

I don't get the fancy knife trend... unnecessary IMO. 

So do you give much thought to weight or grip when deciding or just go with it and you'll get used to it?

Really is not the knife but the sharpness of the knife.  Look for a local place that sharpens knifes.  I found this hardware store that does restaurant chefs knifes.   Took them 6 of my old knifes that would not cut warm butter and they are now like razors.  Cut the tomatoes thin like the infomercials without pressure. 

I've been happy with Victorinox as a brand.  I have one of these and they are light and work great.  As someone else posted, and many chefs will tell you, you don't need to spend a lot on a knife as long as you keep it sharp.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-45520-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B008M5U1C2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481899762&sr=8-3&keywords=victorinox+knife
This is 100% the right answer unless you like spending extra money for no reason.  It's come out on top of Cook's Illustrated chef knife tests multiple times.

Really is not the knife but the sharpness of the knife.  Look for a local place that sharpens knifes.  I found this hardware store that does restaurant chefs knifes.   Took them 6 of my old knifes that would not cut warm butter and they are now like razors.  Cut the tomatoes thin like the infomercials without pressure. 
I know sharpening will be the next step but I really have next to nothing as far as a good knife. I have a couple of serrated knives that came in a set with eating utensils that are probably 20+ years old and I doubt cost us more than $20.

This is 100% the right answer unless you like spending extra money for no reason.  It's come out on top of Cook's Illustrated chef knife tests multiple times.
Agreed, it's what I have and use daily.  Get the accusharp sharpener, too.

On top of that I get a bread knife that is my slicer and a fillet knife for boning.  

I've been happy with Victorinox as a brand.  I have one of these and they are light and work great.  As someone else posted, and many chefs will tell you, you don't need to spend a lot on a knife as long as you keep it sharp.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-45520-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B008M5U1C2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481899762&sr=8-3&keywords=victorinox+knife
This has been my go-to for over a decade as well. Got this set a few years ago (OXO everything is great in the kitchen) and find myself using the smaller ones as i get more arthritic, but i've used the light-but-subtantial Vic for everything from butchering to buttering for as long as i remember. JUST DONT USE PLASTIC CUTTING BOARDS -

I really don't get why people want to do the whole knife sharpening thing.  Just use serrated knives.  They work great for years.

This has been my go-to for over a decade as well. Got this set a few years ago (OXO everything is great in the kitchen) and find myself using the smaller ones as i get more arthritic, but i've used the light-but-subtantial Vic for everything from butchering to buttering for as long as i remember. JUST DONT USE PLASTIC CUTTING BOARDS -
Why?

At what restaurant (if not a private chef) are you a chef?  
I had spent about 25 years in private clubs in the Cleveland area. The last 5 I have been the chef manager for a group of 75 nuns. Definitely a step back in the culinary part of my job, but the weekends off and the early nights are perfect for me at this stage of my life.

Kyocera Ceramic Knife

I don’t have time to maintain and re-sharpen metal knives, so that’s why I use my ceramic knives. They’re insanely sharp and I don’t have to do anything to maintain them. They make prep work a breeze.

Went with this one. I'm sure it's all I need and I expected to pay closer to $100 when I first started looking.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Henckels set from Costco, which is nothing terribly fancy, but I love the Santoku knife that was in the set.  I use the honing steel every time before I use it and it's stayed razor sharp for about 15 years now.  As said above, just be sure to maintain the blade and you don't need to buy a $150 knife.

I use and love Victorinox (mostly 10" at work, 8" at home). They make one hell of a knife, and of course, it's dirt cheap compared to other good knives. The one at work gets put through the ringer. More than half a gallon of fine diced onions every day, along with bell peppers, tomatoes, carrots, cabbage, potatoes, ham, turkey, brisket, burgers, etc. It gets abused and holds a great edge for at least 3 months between sharpenings. By abuse, I mean heavily used. Not mistreated. I catch somebody mistreating my good knives and I lose my mind.

For sharpening, I'm a huge fan of whetstones. About 10 minutes of work on a 1000 grit stone (I like King), and it gets a great edge. Passes the paper test with ease. Will slice through a tomato parallel to the board without touching the tomato with your hand. 

And of course, daily steeling (I like the Victorinox steel as well).

THIS!

I have a couple Henkels at home but my go to is a $10-20 white plastic handle restaurant supply chef knife that i run through a $9 accusharp before every use or two. Thing is about a decade old and only took it in once for a professional resharpening. Prob due for another one. 

I don't get the fancy knife trend... unnecessary IMO. 
I've used the ol' Sam's white handle knives quite a bit, and they are a great bang for you buck. I do find they need to be resharpened more often than a Victorinox, but for somebody cooking at home, that won't matter much. There a bunch of people out there that mostly use some terrible set comes with a knife block, and the white handle jobs would be an instant upgrade for them (I've actually bought some to keep at people's houses where we cook and there are just no good options). 

I do like Victorinox better, but that's not a very expensive option. If Victorinox didn't exist, I'd use the white handle jobs every day, and mostly be fine with it (though, I would probably check out a Tojiro for ####s and giggles).

Really expensive knives aren't my cup of tea, but I do sort of get it. If you're going to use it a lot, nothing wrong with splurging for something you like.

This is the one. Pretty much everywhere online will tell you, unless you're looking to spend $150+, the victorinox fibrox's are the way to go. Lifehacker has a ton of articles about it and always highlights when they go on sale. You won't find a negative review.
Now I'm psyched!

Did the free trial of Prime so the knife comes in on Sunday. :excited:

Damn you people.  Now I'm going to buy the Victorinox just to see. I do have a Dexter fillet knife and a serrated slicer that seem similar to the Victorinox and I love them.  And the Accusharp sharpener does work great for those.

Damn you people.  Now I'm going to buy the Victorinox just to see. I do have a Dexter fillet knife and a serrated slicer that seem similar to the Victorinox and I love them.  And the Accusharp sharpener does work great for those.
It's nothing great, just handy. You'll likely go "what's the fuss all about" because it doesnt have the feel of a great knife at all. But it's light and substantial and you just find yourself using it for more than you think you would an 8incher.

I had spent about 25 years in private clubs in the Cleveland area. The last 5 I have been the chef manager for a group of 75 nuns. Definitely a step back in the culinary part of my job, but the weekends off and the early nights are perfect for me at this stage of my life.
gotcha...was just wondering if I had eaten your cuisine.  I am in Hudson right now...just finished a burger and pint at Kepner's.

It's nothing great, just handy. You'll likely go "what's the fuss all about" because it doesnt have the feel of a great knife at all. But it's light and substantial and you just find yourself using it for more than you think you would an 8incher.
Yeah, in a lot of ways, it's kind of boring. It certainly doesn't look like a high end knife, it's stamped not forged, stainless not carbon, the handle doesn't look cool, doesn't "feel" cool etc.

But you pick it up, it feels good in the hand, it's sharp, it stays sharp, and it just does what you need it to do without much fuss. And that ugly handle really comes in handy when it gets wet.

Having gotten so used to the 10", I do much prefer it over the 8" (that's what she said), but most homes (like mine) just don't have the counter space for a cutting board to accommodate the 10". But if you have the space for a 15" or so cutting board, the 10" really is more handy, imo. Oddly, the 10" is usually even cheaper than the 8" for some reason (I guess because the 8" is a lot more popular). 

gotcha...was just wondering if I had eaten your cuisine.  I am in Hudson right now...just finished a burger and pint at Kepner's.
No,  fortunately I've been out of restaurants for a long time.  If you have been to Signature or Cvac you may have tasted my food.  I live about a mile from Kepners

Yeah, in a lot of ways, it's kind of boring. It certainly doesn't look like a high end knife, it's stamped not forged, stainless not carbon, the handle doesn't look cool, doesn't "feel" cool etc.

But you pick it up, it feels good in the hand, it's sharp, it stays sharp, and it just does what you need it to do without much fuss. And that ugly handle really comes in handy when it gets wet.
That's why I went with it. I was expecting to spend in the $100 range but I'm no frills if it gets me a comparable item.

Came in today, unfortunately after I had cut up everything for our slow cooker sausage and peppers, but just slicing the rolls was incredible. Like butter! Obviously I don't have anything to compare it to since I never had anything good but I love it so far. Sliced up a little cherry tomato for it's first use.

How do you recommend getting a nick out of a knife blade?

Users who are viewing this thread