What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Train crash in Hoboken (1 Viewer)

Yeah, looks ugly. At least 3 dead and I'm guessing there will be more.

Have several friends who go through the station every day, but it looks like everyone is ok.

Can somebody from the NY/NJ area explain what area(s) this train serves?  Just NJ or does it go into NYC itself?

Can somebody from the NY/NJ area explain what area(s) this train serves?  Just NJ or does it go into NYC itself?
Hoboken is end of the line - most of the passengers then board the PaTH train ('bout 20 yds from the crash site) into the city

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
So, given this and the last big one where they conductor ran the train off in a sharp curve, why aren't these automated?  We're putting huge amounts of effort as a country into the ability for cars to be driverless.  Trains are a much easier problem and the consequences are huge for a mishap.  

Just musing as this looks to be a pretty bad incident - hate to see such a tragedy.

Honestly, I'm still in shock that only one person has been confirmed killed in this accident.  It's a mini-miracle.  If someone said, "A train slammed into Hoboken station at 30 mph at 8:30am on a Thursday, my initial thought would be a death toll of at least 25+.

Does this appear to be an accident as opposed to any sort of malicious act or is it too soon to tell?
I come thru that terminal about a dozen times per month ... always walk right down that indoor corridor where this took place (past the Dunkin Donuts adjacent to the Newstand, and the NJ Transit waiting area/bathrooms) ... and those trains come in at a snail's pace, as if they're being pushed from behind - any more than 5 mph would shock the #### outta me-  so how this particular line had enough speed/momentum to crash through is mind boggling, just defies any logic 

that's the impression I get as well.. when these things come in at anything other than a crawl, you are kind of taken aback

I know that it obviously was but 21mph doesn't sound that fast when you look at the destruction.  I sort of imagined it going 50mph or something 

I know that it obviously was but 21mph doesn't sound that fast when you look at the destruction.  I sort of imagined it going 50mph or something 
I wonder how quickly a train can stop from 21 mph...like full-on, panic stop. 

I guess F = M x A has a big F with M that big.   (That sounds like it's something sexual...)

Users who are viewing this thread