What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bragging, venting, crowing, grieving!!!! (1 Viewer)

TZMarkie

Footballguy
 OK, so I started off this one last year, after seeing the version the previous year by MT.

It seemed to go over well, we all had a place to gripe and #####, and a few of us could even gloat~!  :P

I COULD start off by saying that I got sniped on three successive picks last night in a 12 team draft, but I won't and I I'll save all the  #####ing for Thursday night when the season starts.

I assume/hope this one will get stickied like the last few years. Most guys seemed to enjoy it.  And if there is another one around here somewhere that I have missed, feel free to delete this one mods.

This thread is always a good one for a few laughs each week, and I look forward to it every year.

OH, and to start it off with the ceremonious gripe, let me begin by saying I have waited for this day for months, the season is finally here tomorrow, and in all my leagues I don't think I have a single #######  player playing Thursday!!!!!  :(    (I have DT and J. Stew but benched them for other options)

LET'S GO BOYS, START THE CROWING, BRAGGING, #####ING, AND GRIEVING!!! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Was able to grad Cam at 4.10 in my draft, but am very thin behind David Johnson at RB

Ready to the season to begin.

Kept David Johnson for a 10th round pick & Rawls for and 18th rounder...somehow L. Bell still fell to me at the 10th overall pick in my main draft!

felt great about that until I read Rawls still isn't 100% and Michael now listed as the starter...now I have to roll with Crowell as my RB2  :wall:

hey, at least football is back!

Was sitting waiting til my last pick for wil lutz and a guy tries to take Kai forbath for his 4th kicker (no joke or exaggeration). Someone says he was cut and after some paper flipping and shuffling he just says "so who's New Orleans kicker? Give me him." And someone spits out the name. Oh well, go janikowski. 

So I have a bit of another "preseason" gripe/vent. (sort of a draft gripe I suppose)

As a commissioner of several leagues, someone brought up some "odd happenings" in a draft last night.

One particular owner drafted in such a way that it affected the integrity of the draft for the rest of the league. (before anyone says "its his team he can draft anyway he wants", the rest of the story is, yet another owner -that no one else knows btw- drafted in such a fashion almost exactly opposite of the other owner)

What effectively happened is one particular owner drafted 6 successive RBs to start IN A START 3 WR LEAGUE / no flex and only 2 RB spots. (K, T, DEF also)

Sound OK right?

Then another owner (that no one else knows) drafted 5 of his first 6 picks as WRs.

Not 5 minutes after the draft, a trade is proposed and accepted where the RB heavy owner Obtains OBJ for Todd Gurley from the WR heavy owner.

My issue isn't the trade, I think its completely fair.

Moreso that its almost certain these two members are either A. the same guy, and or B. drafted like this from the onset in obvious collusion.

Several of the other owners have contacted me and said "something doesn't look right here".

I can also state that I am close enough with the "RB-RB-RB-RB-RB-RB" owner that I know he never, EVER drafts in this fashion, in fact its the opposite. He is "that guy" that never gets depth at RB and is scrambling in week 4. This is completely unlike anything in his history, of YEARS of drafting.

Also realize that the WR-WR-WR-WR-WR-WR owner is someone only the RBx6 owner knows, and he was a "last minute add" in the last spot a week or so ago.

I think I have figured it out, and know how to deal with it, but this seemed as good a place as any to gripe.    :ph34r:

Let the season begin!

That story sounds bizarre, Markie, but I'm missing the problem, provided the trades are fair.  If 6RB guy had gone WR-5RB drafting OBJ, and 6WR guy had gonr RB-5WR drafting Gurley, we'd be right where they are now, and no one would feel cheated, right?

Now if he was trading RB1 for WR6 or vice versa, that's a problem.  But surely this was RB1 for WR1...

Pin this!

I thought the pinned thread was just always there. Didn't even notice it wasn't. 

My b****ing is that this thread isn't pinned yet!

My bragging is also going to be a confession. I was asked to start a FF league for my family. My team in this 10 team .5 point PPR: Cousins, Julio, Alshon, Landry, Watkins (via trade), Josh Gordon, Elliot, McCoy, Rawls, Henry, Gore, DWill, Barnidge, Fleener, Gano (waivers), Bills D. I didn't trick anyone and tried my best to help but they were determined because "they know football". Houston D and Brady in Round 5, Will Fuller and Carson Palmer in round 3. Four or five teams had back up QBs by round 10. I don't feel bad because I really did put in an honest effort to stop the madness (also gave them all Fantasy Pros cheat sheets from that morning) but looking at my team if feel like I have some serious bad FF karma coming my way. 

Pin this!

I thought the pinned thread was just always there. Didn't even notice it wasn't. 

My b****ing is that this thread isn't pinned yet!

My bragging is also going to be a confession. I was asked to start a FF league for my family. My team in this 10 team .5 point PPR: Cousins, Julio, Alshon, Landry, Watkins (via trade), Josh Gordon, Elliot, McCoy, Rawls, Henry, Gore, DWill, Barnidge, Fleener, Gano (waivers), Bills D. I didn't trick anyone and tried my best to help but they were determined because "they know football". Houston D and Brady in Round 5, Will Fuller and Carson Palmer in round 3. Four or five teams had back up QBs by round 10. I don't feel bad because I really did put in an honest effort to stop the madness (also gave them all Fantasy Pros cheat sheets from that morning) but looking at my team if feel like I have some serious bad FF karma coming my way. 
Thanks.

I am pretty sure this will get pinned once the mods see it. (it normally does get pinned, but they are likely busy tonight)

You wrote "I have some serious bad FF karma coming my way".

That may or may not be the case, but I always go back to this golden rule in life. "No good deed goes unpunished".   :ph34r:    

TZM

Another reason to vent.

Just found out I have supposedly been "paying" for RedZone, and instead I have had a number of movie channels activated that I do NOT watch.

Just happened to click on RedZone, and it says "not authorized".

Now upon calling I need to call back to get the plan corrected, but it must be between 8 am and 9 pm.

Bastards.

Yeah I was just about to post where is everyone spewing over Janovich getting the TD....?   LOL    :X

TZM

So my good buddy calls me shortly ago.

There is a bit of a ruckus in the background, and it was followed by laughter.

Apparently he was facing the CJ Anderson owner tonight.

(but the CJ Anderson owner BENCHED him in favor of Latavius Murray)    :excited:

TZM

Passed on CJ on my pick in the 3rd taking Watkins thinking CJ would easily make it back to me in the 4th, of course he went 2 picks before me. :rant:

I know it's early and against a tough D, but I am glad I stayed away from D.Thomas and Sanders at their current ADP.  

Only stock I have in Benjamin is an early draft 1/6 leagues.

Loved CJ at his ADP and wanted him everywhere, got sniped on him 6/6

:kicksrock:

Only stock I have in Benjamin is an early draft 1/6 leagues.

Loved CJ at his ADP and wanted him everywhere, got sniped on him 6/6

Oddly enough, I was targeting CJ everywhere during the offseason.

I tend to go WR-WR in my leagues (start 3 WR leagues) and CJ was one of the big names left I could shoot for to pair with two elite WRs. It literally was happing in most every draft where I went late round.

Needless to say, as it worked out in all of my drafts, I never got CJ anywhere.   :(

I know its recency bias and its only 1 week, but Devontae Booker did himself absolutely favors last night either.  No matter how we break it down, CJA is looking very good from this point forward.

I still wasn't buying any part of Kelvin Benjamin. He looked decent last night. I even had him during his rookie breakout as my WR3.  I'm sure he will be fine this year, but I have better options everywhere so I am not missing him whatsoever.

TZM

Oddly enough, I was targeting CJ everywhere during the offseason.

I tend to go WR-WR in my leagues (start 3 WR leagues) and CJ was one of the big names left I could shoot for to pair with two elite WRs. It literally was happing in most every draft where I went late round.

Needless to say, as it worked out in all of my drafts, I never got CJ anywhere.   :(
Exact same. 

The only league I have Benjamin in drafted about a week before all the conditioning/overweight/Funchess Hype

Another semi "pre-season" #####/gripe.

Took 2 days and hours of phone calls to finally get my cable straight, and more specifically  RedZone! (which I have been paying for all along) And NOW I have to pay yet an additional $10 a month for, for a service I was supposed to be getting all along for the old price.

Can't wait until tomorrow.

Let's go~!

TZM

Very surprised there haven't been a bunch of "thank you for nothing GRONK" posts here thus far.

So glad I stopped drafting this guy years ago.

TZM

I started my week out right. I won my college matchup, and it was a nail-biter. Final score was 213.9 - 213.16.

TZMarkie said:
 Very surprised there haven't been a bunch of "thank you for nothing GRONK" posts here thus far.
He's my keeper - starting ... Vance McDonald.  Let's hope he slangs some happy meals!

One of my teams, already missing Brady and Gordon for 4 weeks, also is missing Gronk and Rawls this week. Instead of those 4 I am playing Stafford, Fuller, Forsett and Higbee.

A - This needs to be pinned, as others pointed out. (usually is this time of year)

B - I have Demaryius as my 4thWR in one league.   ####   :angry:

TZM

Someone file a missing persons report on Mike Evans.

Jameis Winston stinking up the field too....WTF.

:wall:

TZM

Winston started sluggish, but he turned on the charm late, and he finally got in touch with Evans I see.

Surprised there are no more Keenan Allen  ranters in here.

On Gary Barnidge - Did you guys actually buy in to him being a solid TE factor this year??

TZM

Is David Johnson going to break one or not?

So glad I drafted this guy this year. (and could hang onto him unlike last year where I had to cough him up before he was named the starter)

TZM

Went into the weekend down 43 - first year in a new league - open up in a HUGE hole.  He has Brees, I am screwed.  Thanks to Luck, I am now somehow down only 139-131, he has DeSean Jackson and I still have Antonio Brown, DeAngelo Williams, Jordan Reed, Robert Quinn and a half left from Jamie Collins.  Still not sure about what average scores are in this league - but I could wind up with around 180 and the next highest projected total is 147...and it is the guy I am playing.  Here's hoping for a little luck to start the new league off right.  Thank you Luck, Snead, Reshad Jones and Abdullah.

I started Ingram Freeman Duke

Got smoked

(9 straight to end last season tied the 24 year league record, win would have broke it)

Lions won so who cares

FF will never mean as much as RL wins

I traded away Keenan Allen in dynasty because I was tired of him being hurt all the time.

Used the picks on Sterling Shepard and Deion Jones.

(Of course I feel bad for Allen.)

I laugh every season when I hear the narrative "Allen will break the catch records, a load of yards blah blah blah".

I really hate to see anyone injured, trust me I have been there.

But drafting known injury risks sets itself up for disaster as far as I'm concerned. (dynasty is a bit different I realize, but I am referring to mainly redraft)

I guess you got lucky trading him when you did, but it still sucks for Allen.

Hopefully he rehabs and comes back next year and tries again.

(says me.... the guy who ended up with Ryan Mathews in one league somewhere/something I said I would never do again)

The saints wonder why they can't win games you got a 2 Td lead and your star RB only gets 12 carries??!!! WTF you know you have a horrible defense why not feed your Rb??

I'm going to vent about how TZMarkie jumps into the breech and starts this thread when the official folks are sleeping at the switch, then gets no respect when the "official" one goes up days later.

Not even the backhanded acknowledgement of a merge...

I'm going to vent about how TZMarkie jumps into the breech and starts this thread when the official folks are sleeping at the switch, then gets no respect when the "official" one goes up days later.

Not even the backhanded acknowledgement of a merge...

Appreciate that sir.

I even went so far as to PM 2 guys that should have access and "thread pin ability".

I am not trying to stick my chest out and say "post here", only that we should merge these two in some fashion.

To be frank, I DID start this thread on the Wednesday before the Thursday game, so it might not have gotten noticed much at first.

No need for two threads, but this one has enough responses where it should be merged with the other, at the least.

TZM

Brag: 

IDP league. Decided to say "hell with defense!" & took 9 straight offensive players - even when the run on D started.

VBD and took Brees in the 5th & Snead in the 9th. 

I think I'm going to enjoy Brees to Snead. 

:wub:

Brag: 

IDP league. Decided to say "hell with defense!" & took 9 straight offensive players - even when the run on D started.

VBD and took Brees in the 5th & Snead in the 9th. 

I think I'm going to enjoy Brees to Snead. 

:wub:

Err, Snead went 9 for 9. Let's hold the phone here.

He may not do that the rest of the season.

(not saying I don't like him in a WR3 sort of way, I'm just saying that performance screams outlier to me)

One thing is for sure, the Saints defense was bad, and got worse yesterday/injuries.

They should be trying to put up a bunch most weeks.

TZM

Jared Cook.

I don't think I need to say any any more.    :wall:

Which BTW I think both GB cornerbacks are out this week, or it appears that way at this point.

I'm betting the defense will be in disarray, so I quietly scooped up Kyle Rudolph. Plus we don't even know who the starting QB will be, and if its Sam Bradford, he may very well dink and dunk at first, which lends itself well to Rudolph.

If I were a DFS player, I would give a very hard look at Kyle Rudolph this week.

TZM

Kyle Rudolph, welcome to my squad.

Jared Cook, welcome to free agency.  Which is exactly where your over hyped non-performing ### should have been the whole time.

Now I need to find someone I am more comfortable with, as I think Rudolph is just a temporary band-aid at TE.

Bragging -  In four leagues this year........  Went 4-0  this week. :football:

The bad news - In one particular "start 3 WR" league, my 4 WRs are  Amari Cooper, Demaryius Thomas, Randall Cobb and Sammy Watkins.

Between Thomas and Watkins, it looks like its going to be a tough choice and injury-riddled "will he play or won't he play" kind of weekly decision.

Thomas who may or may not even play in a ideal matchup Sunday, or Watkins who by all accounts seems gimpy but says he will play.

So play a possibly injured WR in a tough matchup on a short week, or wait on a top flight WR in a perfect matchup Sunday, but there is speculation he won't play at all this week.

I will likely wait on DT to play over the weekend, but this could be a dicey choice the rest of the year, if neither of them can get healthy.

TZM

Maybe I should just "vent" in this thread until it is eventually merged in with the other one.

:excited:

TZM

I had to dump 1 RB late last week to pick up an IDP.  Had to decide between Forte and Rashard Jennings.  Ended up trading Forte for Bobby Wagner as I figured Forte would split with Powell and Rashard although older is the NYG RB1.  Of course I'm playing the guy who I traded Forte to this week.

I had to dump 1 RB late last week to pick up an IDP.  Had to decide between Forte and Rashard Jennings.  Ended up trading Forte for Bobby Wagner as I figured Forte would split with Powell and Rashard although older is the NYG RB1.  Of course I'm playing the guy who I traded Forte to this week.

I am kind of getting the feeling Jennings looks like someone who will be a decent RB2 the majority of the year.

Coming out of the draft, I had an uneasy feeling about him honestly, but its looking better.

Then again, I bet its tough having to reflect back and see what Forte did, as a former owner.

Jennings will be startable for the most part, but OMG you have to feel bad about losing Forte.

I said it in another thread, but I am trying to acquire Bilal Powell everywhere. If Forte goes down, Powell should be an easy RB1 and three down back.

TZM

General rant on guys looking to trade.

I posted about someone sending me a "flurry of texts" to try and acquire one of my studs. He essentially said "I will give you 2 good guys for one". That was in the midst of about 5-6 other texts in the span of about 4 minutes.

(hey, when they want what they want, they want it right ####### NOW I guess LOL)  

If you are going to try and offer a trade, at least try and make it respectable. Even if its not,  FOR GODS SAKE BE COURTEOUS WHEN TRYING TO MAKE A DEAL .

Don't get all pissy when the other party isn't interested.  I get it, everyone sees players in different lights. There is no need in going silent when a deal is not met. Just say "OK, maybe we can make a deal later on".

Trust me, I remember these things, and just because you didn't get a stud handed to you on a silver platter for a heap of dog #### that will rot my bench, its no need to completely disregard the other "non trading" party and ignore all other forms of contact.

Maybe I pissed the guy off when I said "Hey man, this guy was my first round draft pick, I didn't draft him there under the premise of wanting to trade him after week one".

Whatever, I am tired of these monkeys wanting something for nothing.  When its the other way around, these are always the first ones to point out how "that guy sucks, I'm not trading for that".

/end of rant.

TZM

Really no substitute for cultivating good working relationships with your fellow owners, as far as facilitating successful trading down the road. 

Guys like TZM describes are likely looking to rob guppies or badger the weak-willed into doing something dumb.  In the short run, I guess that must work often enough to keep them trying it (kind of like Nigerian royalty scams or mass market mailings).  But over the long haul, these guys are hurting their chances on future trades by being so obnoxious.

Really no substitute for cultivating good working relationships with your fellow owners, as far as facilitating successful trading down the road. 

Guys like TZM describes are likely looking to rob guppies or badger the weak-willed into doing something dumb. 

I think the first point you brought up is of paramount importance.

I kind of think it is somewhat "our job" as winning fantasy players, to try and be universally liked when it comes to trading and dealing with other league managers in general.

The fact that they enjoy the trade and see it as "fair"/pleasurable, thats only the icing on the cake~!

No, I'm not taking a "holier than thou" stance, but an even more cutthroat angle than you may realize.  What more can you want, than for someone to be "satisfied" and they enjoy the league (and trading) so they come back year after year and donate?

This may seem brutal to some of you, but lets call it what it really is. I want each and every owner to come back every year, and be "happy" in general with the trades, the settings, camaraderie... and pretty much everything. This works to our benefit as winning fantasy players, as its a source of yearly income right...?

(if you want to take it a step further, we should all treat each other fairly in life overall, but I am not going that far , just making a point)

Not only that, I like my leagues and the ones I commish, to be DRAMA FREE.  Unfortunately, I have learned its not always that easy. Certain people (even ones I used to consider "friends") just HAVE to have some type of drama around them. Simply put, they aren't happy unless there is some trouble or conflict going on around them. This is sad, but its true in life.

So I try and have the leagues drama free, and make sure everyone understands and likes everything.... AND I MEAN EVERYTHING. This way when you do win money, you don't have to listen to a bunch of ####, or "yeah you shouldn't have won except for that BS trade". etc. etc.  There will always be a bit of that, but keeping it to a minimum in my leagues is the best I can do for all parties involved.

When a guy wins in my leagues, I want him to be able to say with pride... "THIS WAS MY YEAR~!".

You also mention that sometimes its an owner looking to "badger the weak-willed into doing something dumb".  We have a few guys like this, and apparently they think if they keep making bad offers over and over long enough, sooner or later they will get the weak willed person to accept a trade. I have seen it happen, but generally the guys in my league don't go for that garbage.

One particular owner in my leagues, is notorious for just not paying too much attention, and nor is he a "smart owner".  He drafts poorly, and he doesn't necessarily make good moves throughout the season, then he likes to complain about certain things. But the real kicker is, he is widely known for "last minute heroics". He will go all the waydown to the last day or two before the trade deadline, and has often gotten some very lopsided trades in his favor, typically from a team thats out of contention too. (I know damn well these offers sometimes come with a "I will give you some $$$ if I win after this" type of underhanded agreement)

Fortunately he has never ultimately won any of our leagues, but I know this type thing has taken place before.

I guess I have prided myself over the last few years, on most of the deals I have made.  Even if the guy I am looking to deal with doesn't agree to something, they tend to at least think it was a "fair offer" or a pleasant interaction anyway.

Every time now when a deal is (or is NOT made) I ask a question towards the end. (more often when its NO deal made) Every time they tend to answer now "we might not have made a trade, but I will admit that you gave me a fair offer".... OR " I was thinking or hoping I could get a little more, but I do think the deal is fair".

This response (and Arodin's) will likely go unnoticed since its tucked in this "Bragging/crowing" thread, but I think this is something important that all winning fantasy players should keep in mind or learn from.

It helps to be "liked" in your league, and that people view you as " pleasantly trade able".  I very rarely make trades or deals, but almost every time I need it,  I get something done or work out something that benefits my team in some fashion.

Let's have some great games this afternoon!

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread