What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

House Democrats hold sit in over gun control (1 Viewer)

Wow. Ryan has the power to have them forcibly removed, but he'll never do it. Not sure this has ever happened before. 

Didn't they just have a gun control vote last week?

Wait a minute...isn't this an election year?  Now I see why.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hate this posturing bull#### no matter what side it's on. Force a vote that you know will fail? Maybe try communicating with colleagues and restoring Congress to a functioning branch of government?

Or just have a sit in. Either way. 

Hmmm...seems to me if you want a gun control vote you should, y'know, win the House back.  Didn't the Democrats have the House not too long ago?  Didn't they pass any gun control bills then?  Or at least bring them up for a vote?

Hmmm...seems to me if you want a gun control vote you should, y'know, win the House back.  Didn't the Democrats have the House not too long ago?  Didn't they pass any gun control bills then?  Or at least bring them up for a vote?
Yes. I don't know. I don't know. 

Were they singing "We shall overcome?" Did they hand out flowers? Do they know the sixties ended 50 years ago?

Did they do a fish cheer?

The Democrats shilling on gun control, is by far, Exhibit A that they are secretly a party of morons.

The Democrats went for the assault rifle ban in 94, and got NUKED in 94, then they went all chips in with Sandy Hook in 2012 and then got the biggest blasting they've received in 70 years with the Republicans nuking them in every governorship, house, senate and state. 

And now 56% of African-Americans see gun ownership as a good thing and the majority of Americans see assault rifle ownership as ok.

They might as well be working for the Trump campaign at this point. Literally. There is no political logic for this.

The Democrats shilling on gun control, is by far, Exhibit A that they are secretly a party of morons.

The Democrats went for the assault rifle ban in 94, and got NUKED in 94, then they went all chips in with Sandy Hook in 2012 and then got the biggest blasting they've received in 70 years with the Republicans nuking them in every governorship, house, senate and state. 

And now 56% of African-Americans see gun ownership as a good thing and the majority of Americans see assault rifle ownership as ok.

They might as well be working for the Trump campaign at this point. Literally. There is no political logic for this.
But if FEELS good!  That's what counts. 

"Part of the Gun Control 40 back in '16" - that might be enough for some low information Democrat voters to think they're really doing something.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/20/politics/cnn-gun-poll/

But support for specific gun control measures was very strong, with 92% saying they wanted expanded background checks, 87% supporting a ban for felons or people with mental health problems and 85% saying they would ban people on federal watchlists from buying guns. Among Republicans, that number is even higher -- 90% say they favor preventing people on the terror watch list or "no fly" list from buying a gun. That number is at 85% for Democrats.

Cue the Millennials to pick up on this and start sit in's over substantive issues like glitchy phone apps and poor wifi service at Mocha Tom's Pretentious Coffee Hous'.

we're paying attention to polling now?  like when 90% favored universal background checks?

where are these stats from?

also, what's the deal with the overuse of "shilling" these days?

So as I just demonstrated, everything you just wrote in this post is wrong. In fact, the polling shows the EXACT opposite of what you just wrote. Any comment? 

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/20/politics/cnn-gun-poll/

But support for specific gun control measures was very strong, with 92% saying they wanted expanded background checks, 87% supporting a ban for felons or people with mental health problems and 85% saying they would ban people on federal watchlists from buying guns. Among Republicans, that number is even higher -- 90% say they favor preventing people on the terror watch list or "no fly" list from buying a gun. That number is at 85% for Democrats.
They why is it that every time the Democrats go all in on gun control, they get blasted in the next election? It's like clockwork at this point. These polls are nice, but the only poll that matters are the people who actually vote.

They why is it that every time the Democrats go all in on gun control, they get blasted in the next election? It's like clockwork at this point. These polls are nice, but the only poll that matters are the people who actually vote.
which is why some folks have decided to protest. and voila we have this thread!

Do you have links for those stats?

Maybe they can figure out what happened with all the guns in the fast & furious debacle as well...

Good.

The lack of action on the part of congress re: Gun Control is a national embarrassment.

And it's cost a lot of lives.

where are these stats from?

also, what's the deal with the overuse of "shilling" these days?
Ya I wheeled out the shilling buzzword a little too much there.

54% of African-Americans see public gun ownership as a good thing. Up a whopping 25% from 29% two years ago.

The gun control argument is over. If the majority of African-Americans support gun ownership, then the Democrats pushing the gun control meme are just going to tank their elections and/or primary themselves out of the game.

54% of African-Americans see public gun ownership as a good thing. Up a whopping 25% from 29% two years ago.

The gun control argument is over. If the majority of African-Americans support gun ownership, then the Democrats pushing the gun control meme are just going to tank their elections and/or primary themselves out of the game.
Gun ownership and certain moderate gun control measures, such as removing the private sales loophole, are not the same thing. In fact, they have nothing to do with each other.

To answer your larger question, it's true that the vast majority which is on the side of gun control have not chosen to make this issue a priority when it comes to voting, while the NRA crowd has, and that is a major reason why the latter has won in the past. However, this appears to be changing before our eyes. I have a feeling Orlando was the final straw. We'll see. 

most people support gun ownership.  i support gun ownership.  Democrats aren't trying to repeal the 2nd amendment.  luckily we've got you here to construct strawmen so nothing ever gets discussed rationally.

if john lewis would have stayed quiet and played by the rules he would not have made the incredible contributions he did on bloody sunday so to anyone saying this guy is just playing games maybe learn a little history and see that this guy does not play games take that to the bank brohans 

So, let's have a genuine conversation about this.  Let's say the ban is passed....then what?  What changes in practical terms?

most people support gun ownership.  i support gun ownership.  Democrats aren't trying to repeal the 2nd amendment.  luckily we've got you here to construct strawmen so nothing ever gets discussed rationally.
Do gun rights groups wheel out straw men often? Yes. I agree.

But I'm talking about perception and electoral politics. My African-American support link wasn't a straw man, but showing how perception of the gun rights debate was shifting away from the modern Democrat position.

Also in regard to the strawmen used, I see why gun rights people use them. But they don't do a good job explaining why they use them.

They use them because the people arguing for gun control are insatiable in their desire to limit guns. Often when gun control comes up, it's related to an incident where the gun control laws they argue for would not have done much or anything to stop that related incident. Or they argue for something that is undemocratic and violates due process and the constitution. The strawmen are brought up because gun control people fight with strawmen themselves.

Do gun rights groups wheel out straw men often? Yes. I agree.

But I'm talking about perception and electoral politics. My African-American support link wasn't a straw man, but showing how perception of the gun rights debate was shifting away from the modern Democrat position.

Also in regard to the strawmen used, I see why gun rights people use them. But they don't do a good job explaining why they use them.

They use them because the people arguing for gun control are insatiable in their desire to limit guns. Often when gun control comes up, it's related to an incident where the gun control laws they argue for would not have done much or anything to stop that related incident. Or they argue for something that is undemocratic and violates due process and the constitution. The strawmen are brought up because gun control people fight with strawmen themselves.
then maybe instead of the "you started it" argument, you point out where its a strawman and not make the problem worse. I'd like 3 things:

1. Bring back the assault weapons ban

2. Universal background checks

3. Close the gun show loophole

Can i say definitively what would change if these were enacted?  Of course not.  Is there a possibility of a significant net benefit to society?  yes.  Is there a significant hindrance to society?  I don't think so, but i'm open to hearing it.

When you have one side of the debate not even able to entertain the discussion for threat of being primaried by a lobbyist group with unbelievable power, then there's a problem.  And yes, that exists on both sides.

So, let's have a genuine conversation about this.  Let's say the ban is passed....then what?  What changes in practical terms?
Well first off, don't forget they are pushing for 3 separate things:

1. An end to the private sales loophole for background checks.

2. Adding suspected terrorists to the list of people who are not allowed to purchase firearms.

3. A ban on assault rifles.

Personally I am in favor of #1 and #2 (though #2 without #1 is meaningless), and I am undecided about #3 though I tend to lean against. To answer your question, I don't know. Obviously it will be harder to purchase assault rifles, as it was during most of the 1990s. Will that in itself reduce (a) gun crime and/or (b) mass shootings of the Newtown type? Again I don't know. It might. 

To answer your larger question, it's true that the vast majority which is on the side of gun control have not chosen to make this issue a priority when it comes to voting, while the NRA crowd has, and that is a major reason why the latter has won in the past. However, this appears to be changing before our eyes. I have a feeling Orlando was the final straw. We'll see. 
I think this would've had to happen like 3 days before the election for it to make much of a difference. No progress is going to be made with a NRA GOP controlled congress, and voters' memories are way too short for this to be on their minds in November.

Well first off, don't forget they are pushing for 3 separate things:

1. An end to the private sales loophole for background checks.

2. Adding suspected terrorists to the list of people who are not allowed to purchase firearms.

3. A ban on assault rifles.

Personally I am in favor of #1 and #2 (though #2 without #1 is meaningless), and I am undecided about #3 though I tend to lean against. To answer your question, I don't know. Obviously it will be harder to purchase assault rifles, as it was during most of the 1990s. Will that in itself reduce (a) gun crime and/or (b) mass shootings of the Newtown type? Again I don't know. It might. 
Isnt this kind of a slippery slope? 

Users who are viewing this thread