What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scruples: What do you do? (1 Viewer)

Company A is a large, national healthcare insurance company.

• I keep the money. Eff 'em.

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • I return the overpayment.

Votes: 94 76.4%

• Total voters

Captain Cranks

Footballguy
Here's the situation:  You receive a service from Company A who's automatically billing your credit card $1,100 per month.  At the end of the year, you cancel service with Company A and begin receiving the same service from Company B; however, Company A continues to charge your credit card $1,100 even after termination.  You open up a dispute request with your credit card company stating that Company A should no longer be charging you for services.  At the same time, unbeknownst to you, your wife has called Company A and asked for a refund.  They agree to the refund and cut you a check for the amount they mistakenly charged.  Based on this, you figure your credit card dispute will be rejected so you don't do anything to cancel it.  Lo and behold, it's approved.  So now you've been erroneously credited $1,100.  What do you do?

My personal ethics aren't governed by who I am dealing with (generally).  Being overpaid by a small time business, or large corporation, and doing nothing, equals stealing regardless in my book.

How is this a question?  Return the money.  If your ethics don't force you to, it's likely at some point in time Company A will.  The size of the company makes no difference. 

Take the interest-free loan. Stick it in a CD with the length determined by how long you estimate it will take the company to notice the error. Or blow it on hookers and x, and then use a credit card to pay it back.

I'm a little surprised by the poll results.  I would have expected less people to keep the money from the local guy and more people to keep the money from the national company.

I've substantiated keeping the money pretty easily.  As a father with a son with a chronic disease, my wife is constantly battling with the healthcare insurance company to get them to cover his medical needs.  At the very least, this money compensates her for the time she's spent on the phone with them trying to convince them to actually provide the service we pay them for.  They're certainly not looking out for us, and I'm, in turn, not going to look out for them.  

Conversely, if this was a local vendor who had provided me good service in the past, I would certainly return the money.  

I don't care if the pool/landscaping company is locally owned, if they are charging you $1,100/mo for services then they are robbing you blind. Keep the money.

You may want to check the bill or service records to see how many times a week they were "servicing" your house. I would also be very suspicious of your wife, especially if she started stocking the fridge with Modelos and guacamole during the past year. 

Not only do you need to keep the money, you need to hide the money.

I'm a rather ethics-flexible person in some regards (torrents,for example) but I don't want to keep money that I'm not owed. 

We're trying to run a society here... return the money.

My wife does the same routine (T1 diabetes for the 8 year old) and it sucks - all the medical supply companies are completely incompetent and the tangle of byzantine insurance rules are silly, but that doesn't affect the decision at all.

What the hell kind of service are you getting where it costs $1,100 per month?

I'm a little surprised by the poll results.  I would have expected less people to keep the money from the local guy and more people to keep the money from the national company.

I've substantiated keeping the money pretty easily.  As a father with a son with a chronic disease, my wife is constantly battling with the healthcare insurance company to get them to cover his medical needs.  At the very least, this money compensates her for the time she's spent on the phone with them trying to convince them to actually provide the service we pay them for.  They're certainly not looking out for us, and I'm, in turn, not going to look out for them.  

Conversely, if this was a local vendor who had provided me good service in the past, I would certainly return the money.  
It is not your money regardless of which vendor it came from. Your wife is not entitled to a salary from a company she deals with on the phone.

The word you're looking for here is "rationalized," thief.

in that case, stealing from a national grocery store would surely be "substantiated" because other people are #######s.

You know you're not entitled to the money.  Don't rationalize it, your conscience should be worth more than $1,100.

I'm a rather ethics-flexible person in some regards (torrents,for example) but I don't want to keep money that I'm not owed. 
Hi cstu,

Seems most are in agreement with the original posters question - it's not your money to keep and it doesn't matter the company.

Can you elaborate on your opinion on torrents and ethics?

J

Last edited by a moderator:
in that case, stealing from a national grocery store would surely be "substantiated" because other people are #######s.

You know you're not entitled to the money.  Don't rationalize it, your conscience should be worth more than $1,100.
Fair enough.  I'm coming around and working my way towards detaching the ethical principle from the company impacted.  It's just tough because this company has been such a thorn in our side, doing whatever they can to reject reimbursement for medical expenses.  I saw this as a nice, "payback's a bish" moment.  I guess I need to get over that.  

As an aside, I'd like to hear from those that said they wouldn't return the money from the local business.  I'm not looking to judge; just curious what the rationalization is there.  

Fair enough.  I'm coming around and working my way towards detaching the ethical principle from the company impacted.  It's just tough because this company has been such a thorn in our side, doing whatever they can to reject reimbursement for medical expenses.  I saw this as a nice, "payback's a bish" moment.  I guess I need to get over that.  
I misread/misunderstood your two posts.  Giving the money back is still the right answer but I had thought the healthcare company was a different entity. 

Maybe keep it until next month and ensure they don't charge you again, but that isn't the route I'd take.

Even if you decide to keep the money, don't spend it cuz their billing/accounting dept will probably realize their error and ask for the money back.

Where is the poll option to keep the money until they ask?  They had no problem keeping your money until you asked.  What was their excuse to your wife on why they accidentally billed you?  Give them the same excuse.

J
Torrents are a blurry line imo.  I probably DL a torrent about once a month, and see no harm.  Imo, it's like copying a vhs back in the day.  As long as the person copying it isn't reselling it for a profit, then I don't think it should be illegal.  I don't go to the movies anymore, and certainly wouldn't buy a BluRay for +$20 (I don't even own a BluRay player).  So, it's not like they are going to get any money from me if I didn't torrent.  Hell, half the time I torrent a movie it's actually available on one of the services I pay for.  I just don't want to spend 45min searching through Netflix, Amazon Prime, or the dozen of on-demand channels I pay for.  Do they expect people to pay for cable, Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Cinema, Stars, etc.  And then still buy BluRays & pay for newer movies?  Maybe if they were like $3-$5 I would just buy them for the convenience, as I do on-demand sometimes, but even those prices are like $15-$20 for newer titles.

I answered what I'd want to do (return to local and keep from healthcare) but I know that ultimately I'd return in either scenario.

Someone above asked why the size of the company matters...it doesn't (at least IMO). The differentiating factor is that B involves healthcare/insurance who I deem to be greedy, poorly run and to a degree crooked. I've had so many negative experiences with healthcare where they stuck it to me that it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. If it I considered keeping the money it would be because of "and eye for eye" and getting even. Nothing to do with small vs large.

What hoops would you guys go through to pay a corporation back money you owe them?  How long would you wait on hold?  As I said before, I would pay it back, but they need to go through the trouble to contact me, and ask for it.

Maybe give the 1100 to charity and say its in the company's name. Preferably one of those contributions where your name gets into a listing somewhere either in the paper or on a plague of some sort.  Then send the paper with their name circled or a picture of the plague to the company so they get the satisfaction of knowing they contributed to a good cause.

Torrents are a blurry line imo.  I probably DL a torrent about once a month, and see no harm.  Imo, it's like copying a vhs back in the day.  As long as the person copying it isn't reselling it for a profit, then I don't think it should be illegal.  I don't go to the movies anymore, and certainly wouldn't buy a BluRay for +$20 (I don't even own a BluRay player).  So, it's not like they are going to get any money from me if I didn't torrent.  Hell, half the time I torrent a movie it's actually available on one of the services I pay for.  I just don't want to spend 45min searching through Netflix, Amazon Prime, or the dozen of on-demand channels I pay for.  Do they expect people to pay for cable, Amazon Prime, Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Cinema, Stars, etc.  And then still buy BluRays & pay for newer movies?  Maybe if they were like $3-$5 I would just buy them for the convenience, as I do on-demand sometimes, but even those prices are like $15-$20 for newer titles.

I voted return the money in all situations.....another question:  I cut the cord years ago in favor of netflix, amazon, etc.  However, i still watch a few show with my brothers directv logon.  Am i a bad person?  I don't lose any sleep over it but, i suppose it could be argued that i am stealing something. For what it is worth, he does use my amazon prime for free but i really don't think they care.  

I voted return the money in all situations.....another question:  I cut the cord years ago in favor of netflix, amazon, etc.  However, i still watch a few show with my brothers directv logon.  Am i a bad person?  I don't lose any sleep over it but, i suppose it could be argued that i am stealing something. For what it is worth, he does use my amazon prime for free but i really don't think they care.  
Are you a bad person and are you stealing aren't the same question.  The first question I'd answer with, "not necessarily" while the latter is a definite, "yes".   This brings up a good question.  How many of the saints on this board who emphatically answered, " you return the money without question " also illegally download music and video content?   I'm willing to bet there's a few of you that rationalize one and not the other.  

cappy cranks come on brohan on the path of the brohan you return the money yeah you are out of pocket but you are way full on karma bromigo take that to the bank 

Hi cstu,

Seems most are in agreement with the original posters question - it's not your money to keep and it doesn't matter the company.

J
Hey! For some reason I thought you didn't post here any more. Maybe I've just been spending too much time in the political threads. 

:missing:

Hi cstu,

J
I do consider downloading things without paying for them unethical, however it's one of the least unethical things you can do because no one is directly impacted by it.  Most of the media I consume I do pay for through one service or another but there are things I still download (movies before they reach Amazon/Netflix, foreign TV shows I can't buy, TV shows like GoT that I don't want to buy an entire subscription for).  Frankly, I consider media to be 'free' in a sense and what I am paying for is convenience.  It appears Netflix agrees:

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings also spoke with Tweakers in a video interview, and when asked if he thinks the Dutch consumers will switch to legal Netflix content, Hastings replies:

Well, certainly there's some torrenting that goes on, and that's true around the world. But, some of that just creates the demand. Netflix is so much easier than torrenting, because you don't have to deal with files. You don't have to download them, and move them around. You just click and watch. Click and watch, and so it's so easy.

I suggest you clean up the namecalling before trying to climb up on that high horse you're attempting to ride.  
Ok, what do you call it when someone takes money that isn't rightfully theirs?  Oh wait, I forgot that your wife was on hold for a while so you're owed it.  Carry on then. 

I pay for all :shrug:

I'd bet the CC company is the one that's out the $$.  They write off disputed charges all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread