What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 49ers thread...please find and use the new 2017 thread (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
2016 Draft:

Round 1, pick 7 (7): Deforest Buckner, DE Oregon

Round 1, pick 28 (28): Joshua Garnett, OG, Standord

Round 3, pick 5 (68): Will Redmond, CB, Mississippi State

Round 4, pick 35 (133): Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU

Round 5, pick 3 (142): Ronald Blair, DE, Appalachian St

Round 5, pick 6 (145): John Theus, OT, Georgia

Round 5, pick 37 (174): Fahn Cooper, OL, Ole Miss

Round 6, pick 32 (207): Jeff Driskel, QB, Lousiana Tech

Round 6, pick 36 (211): Aaron Burbridge, WR, Michigan State

Round 7, pick 28 (249): Charles Iworah, CB, Western Kentucky

Discuss the incompetence of the team here now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the 49ers could have bungled this Kaepernick situation more if they tried. The dude isn't at the stage of his career to be a developmental QB anymore. The guy is going on 29 years old and relied on his athleticism to date......that's now guaranteed $12 mil for 2016. Don't understand at all not eating some money (and getting at least a pick in return) to facilitate something.
With Broncos taking Lynch (and Sanchez as the current bridge), where's any suitor going to come from? I don't see a single fit anywhere. I'd much much much rather have Fitz in the familiar Gailey offense than Kaepernick)

Broncos GM John Elway confirmed the team will no longer pursue Colin Kaepernick after drafting Memphis QB Paxton Lynch with the 26th overall pick.
They'll also be out of the running for Sam Bradford. The Kaepernick trade had legs a few weeks back but talks had died down recently and now the Broncos have a potential franchise quarterback in Lynch. It remains to be seen if Kaepernick can patch things up with San Francisco after demanding a trade earlier this offseason. Per Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports, some teams think the 49ers will simply cut him.Apr 28 - 11:26 PM

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter

Colin Kaepernick's $11.9 million salary is now officially guaranteed for 2016.
The practical effect is that Kaepernick's release is no longer an option. He could still agree to a reduced salary as a means to facilitate a trade, with the tradeoff being he receives some guarantees for 2017. NFL.com's Albert Breer believes things have "thawed a little" between the Niners and their quarterback. Perhaps letting his salary become official is a show of good faith Kap will take to heart.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

*** Official SF 49ers 2016 thread *** Is there any hope?
Is there any hope?  Only if Drummer stays out of this thread.

I liked Pick 7.  I don't understand Pick 28 unless they thought Seattle was going to take him.  Still I don't think Garnett was worth the price they paid to move back into the first round again.

Really glad they got Buckner. After Bosa and Elliott went to SD and Dallas, I started to get optimistic he would get to them. Dial will make a better back up than a starter. 

Like most, surprised they moved up for Garnett, but like the player and Kelly was gushing about him after his pro day.  Also, Kiper was ranting that Garnett was HIS 67th ranked player and a huge reach, so I consider that a positive sign.    

Good start   

As expected, nobody took Kaep :kicksrock:
Color me shocked. 

Since they are so far under the cap and I could ####ing care less about Jebs money, I wouldn't be hurt if they just cut him. A huge waste of cash, but better to cut bait than have him around as a distraction. Roll with Gabbert this year , see what he can do with a full year under Kelly and if he sucks, draft a QB high next year, possibly with the top pick looking at the schedule. 

I loved the Buckner pick.  Honestly don't know much about Garnett, but we definitely needed a G.  

No issue with either of the picks really. But focusing on the offensive line when you don't have any palatable options at QB seems like watering the lawn while the house is on fire. I have no confidence that Baalke knows what he is doing. 

No issue with either of the picks really. But focusing on the offensive line when you don't have any palatable options at QB seems like watering the lawn while the house is on fire. I have no confidence that Baalke knows what he is doing. 
Build the OL so when you get your QB, he won't get killed I guess

Based on next years schedule, 4-12 range is likely, putting them in position to draft at the top or very near it. 2017 May be the year to grab the QB. 

Some are now speculating that Garnett could move to Tackle, not sure if that's reliable or just trying to justify the trade.  It feels like they traded up for a QB, then changed their mind.

Build the OL so when you get your QB, he won't get killed I guess

Based on next years schedule, 4-12 range is likely, putting them in position to draft at the top or very near it. 2017 May be the year to grab the QB. 
I get that, which is why I don't hate the pick. If none of the QBs left jump out at you, you shouldn't pick one just to pick one. There's just no reason to care about this year as a fan when 4-12 is a foregone conclusion and you aren't even developing any skill position guys to be excited about. 

thecatch said:
I get that, which is why I don't hate the pick. If none of the QBs left jump out at you, you shouldn't pick one just to pick one. There's just no reason to care about this year as a fan when 4-12 is a foregone conclusion and you aren't even developing any skill position guys to be excited about. 
I am just glad to see these foundation type picks, which tells me they realize it's a rebuild.  A good sign I think. 

Kind of warming up to Kelly a bit. Like the way he handled the media last night.  Talented guy and hope he learned some lessons in his 3 years in Philly. 

Pick #68 overall: Will Redmond, CB, Mississippi State

The San Francisco 49ers, once again, drafted a player coming off an ACL injury.

This time it was Mississippi State cornerback Will Redmond (6-0, 186), who was considered an early round prospect had he been healthy.

But Redmond tore his ACL in October, leading to his stock falling to the third round. San Francisco selected him with the fifth pick in the round, 68th overall.

Redmond was a four-star recruit, choosing between Ohio State, Notre Dame and Georgia before setting on Mississppi State.

I'm ok with the draft so far.  And I agree about Kelly, I'm warming up to him....but in the back of my mind I keep thinking "we can't score points"

2016 Draft:

Round 1, pick 7 (7)l: Deforest Buckner, DE Oregon

Round 1, pick 28 (28): Joshua Garnett, OG, Standord

Round 3, pick 5 (68): Will Redmond, CB, Mississippi State

Round 4, pick 35 (133): Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU

Round 5, pick 3 (142): Ronald Blair, DE, Appalachian St

Round 5, pick 6 (145): John Theus, OT, Georgia

Round 5, pick 37 (174): TBD

Niner WRs and their production as part of the SF organization:

Torrey Smith - 33/663/4
Quinton Patton - 36/472/1
Jerome Simpson - 5/54/1 (through five games due to suspension)
Bruce Ellington - 19/215/2 (one rushing TD)
Deandrew White - 2/18/0
Deandre Smelter - 0/0/0 (knee injury kept him out of 2015)
Dres Anderson - 0/0/0

i don't know if there's a more anemic, uninspiring group of WRs in the league (even with the addition of Burbridge at #213). SF has a lot of problems, and this is one Baalke & Co simply refuse to address.

welcome to 5-11.

Niner WRs and their production as part of the SF organization:

Torrey Smith - 33/663/4
Quinton Patton - 36/472/1
Jerome Simpson - 5/54/1 (through five games due to suspension)
Bruce Ellington - 19/215/2 (one rushing TD)
Deandrew White - 2/18/0
Deandre Smelter - 0/0/0 (knee injury kept him out of 2015)
Dres Anderson - 0/0/0

i don't know if there's a more anemic, uninspiring group of WRs in the league (even with the addition of Burbridge at #213). SF has a lot of problems, and this is one Baalke & Co simply refuse to address.

welcome to 5-11.
Yikes. When you see it written down, it looks even worse. 

####. Really need Smelter to be a player. 

Glad they have some really good players at TE.  Oh wait. 

Playing against CLE for the right to draft D. Watson #1 overall in the 2017 draft. Easily dead last in their division.

For those of us who went through the 70s and Joe Thomas years, this aint ####.  It hasn't even started getting bad.  Thanks for looking out.

Its funny, looking at different websites draft grades, the 49ers grade anywhere from A- to C-.

Most sites list the Jags at or near the top, which is cool, Id like to see them continue to get better, they were fun to watch last year.

Like Burbridge, not a bad pick for the 6th round.

In terms of draft grades, basically everyone has the 49ers near the bottom, I haven't seen many good grades, but that doesn't mean anything right now.

Like Burbridge, not a bad pick for the 6th round.

In terms of draft grades, basically everyone has the 49ers near the bottom, I haven't seen many good grades, but that doesn't mean anything right now.
A-: http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/30/nfl-draft-grades-teams-winners-losers-picks-analysis

B+: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

These were 2 of the first 6 or so sites that came up with "NFL draft grades" Google search. I saw another one had them graded a B- I think, the rest were Cs or worse.

I agree though, all the grades dont mean much.

A-: http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/30/nfl-draft-grades-teams-winners-losers-picks-analysis

B+: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/30/draft-2016-nfl-draft-grades-for-all-32-teams/

These were 2 of the first 6 or so sites that came up with "NFL draft grades" Google search. I saw another one had them graded a B- I think, the rest were Cs or worse.

One site said Garnett "played soft". Thought it strange that the Outland Trophy winner was soft. Went to another site that said Garnett had a "Mean streak". These sites are entertaining but worthless for evaluation of future performance. 

Kelly for all his flaws got the most out of Vick, Foles, Sanchez and Bradford. He won 27 games with those guys. I can see 6-10, 7-9 at least for SF this year.

I think the low draft grades are due to the masses thinking we had to make a terrible trade like the Rams/Eagles or reach like the Broncos to get a QB.  Its a good foundation draft that will fill some gaping holes.

FC-->the 2000s stunk, but we still had the 5 rings in 15 years to dull it a bit :)

Every ESPN beat guy gave his respective team a "thumbs up" except the Niners and Raiders writers. :lol:  totally meaningless but not a lot of reason to be excited in this thread. 

Any thoughts from you homers on Hyde this year? Is this RB they drafted any threat? 

I'm pretty high on Hyde but I feel like I'm alone on the island. If he stays healthy, it seems to me like he could have a huge year. What do you guys think?

Any thoughts from you homers on Hyde this year? Is this RB they drafted any threat? 

I'm pretty high on Hyde but I feel like I'm alone on the island. If he stays healthy, it seems to me like he could have a huge year. What do you guys think?
He won't stay healthy

If you're not worried about everything else in SF then I wouldn't worry about a 6th round back. Has the SF FO or Chip instilled any confidence of hitting on sleepers?

What do the homers feel about the current WR situation?  I know there's nobody to throw the ball but they didn't do very much to address WRs in the draft. 

fantasycurse42 said:
Details are still sketchy - I'm waiting for the evidence to come out before judging. He claims the sex was consensual and she still wanted a job afterwards. If that was true, it would cast serious doubt on her allegations IMO... Waiting to see if they actually have evidence of this.

DNA means nothing if sex is consensual - of course there is DNA if they had sex. 
She is disabled and seeking employment, I wonder if she was looking for work under the table. If she was wanting to work legally I would think she would go through a placement agency to keep everything legit.

kutta said:
Let's pretend he does.
I think he has the potential to have a big year behind a much better line and offensive system. But if you've seen him run, you'll know why he won't stay healthy. He fights like a crazy person for every inch of every carry and exposes himself to a huge unnecessary pounding. 

Boone22 said:
What do the homers feel about the current WR situation?  I know there's nobody to throw the ball but they didn't do very much to address WRs in the draft. 
It's terrible. Smith might be a look in some very deep leagues. 

I am interested to hear how the Kaep/Gabbert competition plays out. I think both could be successful in that offense. With those receivers I wouldn't be surprised if they end up running so much they need both of them(and maybe a third guy) to get through the season. I have always liked the raw tools of Lewis. Driskel is an interesting pet project that could pay off down the line. Still waiting to see what happens to Nick Foles, he played like a pro-bowler for Chip in the past.

For those of us who went through the 70s and Joe Thomas years, this aint ####.  It hasn't even started getting bad.  Thanks for looking out.
No kidding. Followed the team since 1970 as a pre-teen. After 1972, it was brutal until Walsh arrived. The team he took over in 1979 might have been the least talented team in NFL history.  Winning the super bowl in his 3rd year was mind boggling. After finishing 2-14 and 6-10, was just hoping to get over .500 and maybe sneak into the playoffs. After they layed a whipping on Dallas in the regular season, just felt a magical year happening. Good times. 

More I read on the mid to late round players drafted, starting to really like it overall. Got a lot of grief for the Robinson pick, but putting the suspension aside, kid has a massive upside. Great size and speed. Weight is up to 180 and his frame can easily support another 10 pounds.  Blair looks like a steal, similar to Lynch in 2014. Cooper played both left and right sides and was praised by his college coach as an excellent leader. Burbridge put up big numbers against tough competition and has good size and decent speed. Never can tell with these rounds but don't see any throw away picks. 

Users who are viewing this thread