What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SF, Marin visit with young kids- advices (1 Viewer)

El Floppo

Footballguy
Hi All,

I'm taking the kids (8yo boy, 4yo girl) back "home" for a visit over their spring break to see grandma, uncle and cousins (HS and college aged- not playmates). None of my friends out there have the same week off as us, so I'm looking for things to do with the kids during the weekdays. 

I'll be staying in Southern Marin at casa floppo- will likely take them to:

- Muir Woods (both been there) and/or short Mt Tam walk (rock springs to Dad O'Rourke's bench- my favorite place and short enough walk for the 4yo),

- Discovery museum in Sausalito (both been there)

- maybe the Exploratorium. 

after that, I'm looking for better/other ideas. 

TIA.

You already hit the first couple of things I would have suggested that my daughter liked to do when younger.  

In case you missed it, Exploratorium isn't at the Palace of Fine Arts anymore, it moved down to the Embarcadero a couple of years ago.

http://www.marinmommies.com/ is a pretty good resource for young kid activities around here.

Stinson Beach or Muir Beach, if it's nice.  

Let me know if you're up for grabbing a beer while you're here.

take then to the place at the end of the trolly line and get them some irish coffees one that is a major thing that everyone should do and numbero dos they will probably be pretty mellow after that just sayin take that to the bank bromigo 

Aquarium/Rainforest at CAS in GG Park

Walk across GG Bridge (that'll wear 'em out)

Giants/A's game

good stuff, guys. thanks.

alcatraz... mebbe so, but I think it will be better when they're a little older and I can leave them there. or maybe at the castro cinema. do they still have the guy play his organ? so to speak.

Duck- was hoping you'd chime in. yeah- I heard about the exploratorium move- thanks! was thinking about driving out to bolinas to visit a good friend- but the youngest gets car-sick... don't think she'll handle that over the hill tam trip (still debating getting her to rock springs), so maybe Muir Beach in combo with the woods is a better bet. thanks for the marinmommies link- given the similar types of sites here in NYC, that scares me a bit... but I'll brave-up. my inlaws have a pond where the kids go fishing- not trout, but don't know that they'll need that kind of action.

lol @ ghiradelli. good god- my gbs and I used to bus/ferry over to pier 39 and fishy wharf to play video games- there was an arcade right near ghirardelli square back when it was still a semi-functioning chocolate factory.. they used to sell broken bits for pennies- we would gorge on that and bounce through those arcades hopped up.

irish coffee fo sho. 

of course scarves. what are we, cretins?

jones- we live a couple blocks from chinatown here in NYC, so I feel ok skipping it out there... even though it's got a cooler vibe in SF with the big gate and all.

Quint- took the kids to the CAS last time, but daughter was way too young. good idea- I think they'd both be into it this time. plus, I love the building. baseball is bleh to me, so even though lifelong giants fan- no.  I've had two friends jump from the GG... haven't walked or biked it since the last one. 

is the musee mechanique still around? used to be over the Cliff House.

Alcatraz needs to be booked insanely early, FYI.  So if that's a possible option, do it now.

exploratorium is the best kid's museum we've ever been to.  

it has been a good long while but in all honesty muir woods is awseome and you can see the gifford pinochio rock he was the founder of the forest service you know so bam get out there and see some trees take that to the bank bromigo 

good stuff, guys. thanks.

Duck- was hoping you'd chime in. yeah- I heard about the exploratorium move- thanks! was thinking about driving out to bolinas to visit a good friend- but the youngest gets car-sick... don't think she'll handle that over the hill tam trip (still debating getting her to rock springs), so maybe Muir Beach in combo with the woods is a better bet. thanks for the marinmommies link- given the similar types of sites here in NYC, that scares me a bit... but I'll brave-up. my inlaws have a pond where the kids go fishing- not trout, but don't know that they'll need that kind of action.
Schoonmaker Beach in Sausalito is a lot more convenient, and usually 10 degrees warmer than the beaches out in West Marin.

Also, http://www.calacademy.org/ in Golden Gate Park is pretty cool, can be part of a whole visit to the park and Ocean Beach (grab yourself a beer at Beach Chalet).

Musee Mecanique is near Fisherman's Wharf now, right behind Boudin Bakery and all of the sidewalk crab places.  If you're going to do the Wharf and Ghiradelli, my daughter always liked the touristy stuff like the aquarium, Ripley's, and the Wax Museum.  And in exchange she has to sit through me drinking a couple of Irish Coffees at Buena Vista.

Muir/stinson

gg park: CAS, japanese tea garden, botanical gardens, stow lake, cliff house/ocean beach

beaches a little further north (Dillon and Doran), great oysters around there (tony's and nick's)

take the ferry to pier 39/warf 

ball game

Crissy field: house of air

zoo

if interested, let me know...try to grab a drink or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got done taking my son fishing at alpine lake, skip it. Earthquakes game, horse races over in Berkeley, brewery tour....oh, right damn kids.

You could drive down to see the Flintstone house in Hillsbourgh but your kids would hate you because they probably don't even know who the Flintstones are.

bierfiend said:
Muir/stinson

gg park: CAS, japanese tea garden, botanical gardens, stow lake, cliff house/ocean beach

beaches a little further north (Dillon and Doran), great oysters around there (tony's and nick's)

ball game

zoo

spend a day in santa cruz and/or monterey?

The new Exploratorium is fantastic.  You will likely spend an entire day there.  It's the number one place I would take any kids visiting.

I always try to find things my kids wouldn't normally see.  That actually might mean spending more time in Marin if you live in NY;  Muir, the Headlands, Point Reyes, etc.

elbowrm said:
Alcatraz needs to be booked insanely early, FYI.  So if that's a possible option, do it now.

exploratorium is the best kid's museum we've ever been to.  
Yeah- I think I'm waiting on Alcatraz until the kids are older than 4 and 8. Will probably be out there again in a year or so- my family and a lot of my friends still live out there.

SWC said:
it has been a good long while but in all honesty muir woods is awseome and you can see the gifford pinochio rock he was the founder of the forest service you know so bam get out there and see some trees take that to the bank bromigo 
yeah- even as a native, muir woods always is awe-inspiring. not a fan of tourists- and it's got those in spades, but just looking up consistently takes my breath away. my oldest has been there a few times already- seemed bored the last time, so might shake it up a bit. banked.

bierfiend said:
Muir/stinson

ball game

zoo

was thinking about taking the ferry in from Sausalito, where my mom lives, to go to the exploratorium in its new digs. might hit up pier 39 too, only to see the sea lion colony. my mom is friends with a guy who does kids books about them and sent some to us when my daughter was born. I think she'd get a kick out of seeing them in person. except for pierre- that one is a thieving *******.

CGRdrJoe said:
Just got done taking my son fishing at alpine lake, skip it. Earthquakes game, horse races over in Berkeley, brewery tour....oh, right damn kids.
I still haven't taken them to cosmos/nyc/rb game... just a game at the old CU. don't think I'll break them in with the quakes. might head over to Montclaire to see some good friends- if I do, I'll think about some poker in emeryville and the races.

Baloney Sandwich said:
Wine country, I prefer Sonoma over Napa but both are great. Perhaps spend a day at each.  Maybe hit a spa for a mud bath.
I'm from there- this is for the kids who are 4 and 8. they prefer beer anyhow.

You could drive down to see the Flintstone house in Hillsbourgh but your kids would hate you because they probably don't even know who the Flintstones are.
love that place. my kids are idiots.

The new Exploratorium is fantastic.  You will likely spend an entire day there.  It's the number one place I would take any kids visiting.

I always try to find things my kids wouldn't normally see.  That actually might mean spending more time in Marin if you live in NY;  Muir, the Headlands, Point Reyes, etc.
yeah- this is my mindset as well. a lot of stuff in SF is available to us here in NYC, so skippable, IMO. CAS is fantastic, albeit small. I haven't taken them to the explorator yet, but used to love it as a kid... especially the tactile dome, which is probably a little freaky for the youngest- not sure. but I'm definitely taking them this trip, especially given the praise from all of you. don't think I've taken them up to the Headlands- they might enjoy that. Point Reyes might be good too... used to have a friend in INverness- beautiful up there. did somebody mention Nick's? that place was awesome- bbq oysters... delicious.

the trampoline place... chrissy field? do they have stuff for younger kids? or at least for 8yos who are scared of their own shadow and likely to fall down while walking to the bathroom?

Bike ride from Blackies Pasture to Sam's Anchor Cafe or the Tiburon Tavern (usually have good Groupon deals)

Ferry from Tiburon to Angel Island

Off the Grid food trucks.  If you go to the Novato ones, they're there on Thursday evenings.  You could then do Hopmonk and Moylan's.  If you go to the Larkspur ones, they're there on Sunday afternoons.  You could then do Marin Brew Co. 

Rodeo Beach in Sausalito (thru the 5-min red light tunnel).  Easy access, easy parking.  Close proximity to the Marine Mammal Center (another fun place to take the kids for some learnin'). 

Bike ride from Blackies Pasture to Sam's Anchor Cafe or the Tiburon Tavern (usually have good Groupon deals)

Ferry from Tiburon to Angel Island

Off the Grid food trucks.  If you go to the Novato ones, they're there on Thursday evenings.  You could then do Hopmonk and Moylan's.  If you go to the Larkspur ones, they're there on Sunday afternoons.  You could then do Marin Brew Co. 

Rodeo Beach in Sausalito (thru the 5-min red light tunnel).  Easy access, easy parking.  Close proximity to the Marine Mammal Center (another fun place to take the kids for some learnin'). 
thanks bob.

was thinking about rodeo beach (I grew up calling it cronkhite beach and drank a lot of underage beers & fooled around with a lot of girls out there), but forgot about the mammal center- my dad used to volunteer there. I'll look into their hours.

never thought about tiburon for them (or me)- they might enjoy sitting out at Sams, or maybe hiking up on ring mt. it's been about 20 years since I've headed over there. haven't thought about Angel Island either... definitely a pretty spot. I haven't been there since an insanely drunk 4th 20ish years ago on a friend's boat.

not going to head up-county past Mill Valley in all likelihood, and the kids are... kids. if it's not tan colored and recognizable, they're not eating it. plus, we've got food, including food trucks covered here in NYC. brew co... might meet up with a couple of old friends there one night. used to be a go-to after soccer game spot.

Most of the top SF ideas have already been mentioned.  Big fan of the Exploratorium and Musee Mechanique but note that both have moved since you lived in the area.  If you're at the Mechanique, the Jeremiah O'Brien Liberty ship or the ships at Hyde St. Pier are both kind of fun.

Playgrounds are always a good way for kids to burn off some energy off or to split up or let one adult do something else for an hour or two.  The big playgound at GG Park isn't as fun or dangerous as it was before the remodel but the big slides are unchanged.  Dolores Park has also been remodeled and is one of the prototypical SF places to be on a nice afternoon.  The playground at Yerba Buena Gardens is close to downtown shopping and museums.  Alta Plaza in Pac Heights has great views but is kind of out of the way.

Planning to drive up the CA Coast this summer to take the wife and kid to SF.  Some good stuff here.  Nice work.

What have they added/improved there?  I went there as a kid, but that was some time ago. :bag:  

Sorry i missed this earlier but looks like the majority of activies have been mentioned.  Several other's that my nephews really enjoyed.  Tour bus of the city, very cliche but actually informative and fun.  Boat tour of the bay (or you can just jump on the ferry).  I like hiking around mount Tam but may be bit agressive for young kids.  Larkspur landing always has fun events for the kids on the weekends and there is a brewery there for you.  

Santa Cruz and Monterey are both good if you're coming up from the south.
Just spent this past weekend in Santa Cruz.  Great tide pooling at Natural Bridges State Beach.  We saw 5-6 whales and 8-10 dolphins just off the coast.  There were even 3 sea lions that were swimming within 10 feet of people just wading in the water (knee height).  Oh yeah, great scenery provided by UC Santa Cruz female students sunbathing.  Just up the street off of Swift St., on Ingalls St. is West End Tap & Kitchen.  Great place for brews and food, and they have booths with chalkboard walls so the kids can doodle while you drink.

What have they added/improved there?  I went there as a kid, but that was some time ago. :bag:  
The new Exploratorium is bigger so it's less cramped.  On the downside, it's more spread out so I think it would be easier to lose a kid if you're playing one-on-two defense (my kids are grown but that's always been a hazard with this museum). 

It's right on the bay now so they've taken advantage of their location with some new exhibits including a camera obscura.  The new location also includes more computer/Internet based stuff.  I'm not sure this is a good thing because it'll get obsoleted more quickly than the museum's classic mechanical contraptions.

It's $30 for adult admissions nowadays which is pretty steep.  We always kept a membership when the kids were in the age sweet spot but that's not really a cost effective option for tourists.

Playgrounds are always a good way for kids to burn off some energy off or to split up or let one adult do something else for an hour or two.  The big playgound at GG Park isn't as fun or dangerous as it was before the remodel but the big slides are unchanged.  Dolores Park has also been remodeled and is one of the prototypical SF places to be on a nice afternoon.  The playground at Yerba Buena Gardens is close to downtown shopping and museums.  Alta Plaza in Pac Heights has great views but is kind of out of the way.
thanks, e. I don't know any of these playgrounds... where's the big on in GG? big slides ring some bells- but I'm really drawing blanks. was also thinking about the japanese gardens (even though brooklyn botanical has nice versions). also, pac heights is closer for me coming in from sausalito.

Sorry i missed this earlier but looks like the majority of activies have been mentioned.  Several other's that my nephews really enjoyed.  Tour bus of the city, very cliche but actually informative and fun.  Boat tour of the bay (or you can just jump on the ferry).  I like hiking around mount Tam but may be bit agressive for young kids.  Larkspur landing always has fun events for the kids on the weekends and there is a brewery there for you.  
"hiking" is going to be a loose term. I'm going to take them to my favorite spot- great sunsets and views, isolated, but also a very short walk from rock springs parking lot. was also thinking about the little loop around the east peak of tam, or just up to the ranger station there.

The new Exploratorium is bigger so it's less cramped.  On the downside, it's more spread out so I think it would be easier to lose a kid if you're playing one-on-two defense (my kids are grown but that's always been a hazard with this museum). 

It's right on the bay now so they've taken advantage of their location with some new exhibits including a camera obscura.  The new location also includes more computer/Internet based stuff.  I'm not sure this is a good thing because it'll get obsoleted more quickly than the museum's classic mechanical contraptions.

It's $30 for adult admissions nowadays which is pretty steep.  We always kept a membership when the kids were in the age sweet spot but that's not really a cost effective option for tourists.
I'm hioping some of our friends still have memberships... but everybody's kids are older than mine so I'm not hopeful.

The cafeteria is really convenient as well, has good food choices, a view of the ocean, and is kid friendly.

thanks, e. I don't know any of these playgrounds... where's the big on in GG? big slides ring some bells- but I'm really drawing blanks. was also thinking about the japanese gardens (even though brooklyn botanical has nice versions). also, pac heights is closer for me coming in from sausalito.
The GG Park playground is near the carousel and Hippie Hill.  It used to be better with barrel swings that almost went vertical and lots more climbing stuff.  There were many days when I brought my kids home smiling and bleeding from a day at the park.  It's all safe now except for the old concrete slides that you slide down on a piece of cardboard.  My son slid down once sitting on his skateboard and caught air on the bumps.  The Japanese Tea Garden is lovely and the kids can climb on the bridges but the playground is more kid friendly.

The playground in Pac Heights really isn't a destination for visitors but it's nice if you're in the area.  SF isn't a great city for playgrounds; there's nothing here comparable to Hyde Park or Jardin du Luxembourg.

Hey GB El Floppo - how far south of SF are you willing to go?  I spent a couple of years in SF but last year went to Monterey with the wife for a few days and loved it.  Some great stuff there including the Aquarium your kids would love.

If you are not opposed to a BART ride to Oakland, I can recommend the best taqueria in the Bay Area.  It is right off the BART line, too.

Hey GB El Floppo - how far south of SF are you willing to go?  I spent a couple of years in SF but last year went to Monterey with the wife for a few days and loved it.  Some great stuff there including the Aquarium your kids would love.

If you are not opposed to a BART ride to Oakland, I can recommend the best taqueria in the Bay Area.  It is right off the BART line, too.
big fan of monterey and the aquarium... it's a bit far for this trip, but my kids would love it. next time. will probably hit CAS instead, and really leaning towards the marine mammal center in the headlands. 

I might head in to the east bay to see some friends in montclaire, but wouldn't spend time over there. 

wait... I can't believe I've forgotten the taqueria on 16th or 17th and.. Valencia? probably long gone, but dammit- so good. also was partial to Gordo's in the inner Haight- lived near there for a bit after college and ate WAY too many burritos. small animals became afraid [paraphrase]

big fan of monterey and the aquarium... it's a bit far for this trip, but my kids would love it. next time. will probably hit CAS instead, and really leaning towards the marine mammal center in the headlands. 

I might head in to the east bay to see some friends in montclaire, but wouldn't spend time over there. 

wait... I can't believe I've forgotten the taqueria on 16th or 17th and.. Valencia? probably long gone, but dammit- so good. also was partial to Gordo's in the inner Haight- lived near there for a bit after college and ate WAY too many burritos. small animals became afraid [paraphrase]
Taqueria San Jose - hole in the wall but amazing and cheap.  Right off the BART. 

It has been so long since I lived there and only go back on occasion now.

Such a great trip. Kids made the cross country trip without mom, really well and easily and the weather was perfect. Thanks again for the ideas, really helped make it work.

ran into friends at CAS, which made a great place even better. Loved the planetarium and of course reef. Food was surprisingly decent. Speaking of, seriously fantastic sushi at Exploratorium. Friends said he was a well known sushi chef in sf before "retiring". So great to see a lot of the same exhibits from when I was a kid and SO much more. Kids loved it, barely put a dent into it.

hit Muir Woods on weekday morning. Still crowded, but no matter how many times I've been there, still breathtaking. Took the kids up tam to my favorite spot in the world- dad o'rourkes bench.

Marine mammal center was also interesting and worthwhile. Learned a bunch and amazing to see the animals. Realized I hadn't been there in 40 years.

playgrounds on my street and at old mill n mill valley. So many great memories old and newly created.

lots of time with my family and friends... Just a perfect trip.

thanks again!

Such a great trip. Kids made the cross country trip without mom, really well and easily and the weather was perfect. Thanks again for the ideas, really helped make it work.

ran into friends at CAS, which made a great place even better. Loved the planetarium and of course reef. Food was surprisingly decent. Speaking of, seriously fantastic sushi at Exploratorium. Friends said he was a well known sushi chef in sf before "retiring". So great to see a lot of the same exhibits from when I was a kid and SO much more. Kids loved it, barely put a dent into it.

hit Muir Woods on weekday morning. Still crowded, but no matter how many times I've been there, still breathtaking. Took the kids up tam to my favorite spot in the world- dad o'rourkes bench.

Marine mammal center was also interesting and worthwhile. Learned a bunch and amazing to see the animals. Realized I hadn't been there in 40 years.

playgrounds on my street and at old mill n mill valley. So many great memories old and newly created.

lots of time with my family and friends... Just a perfect trip.

thanks again!
nice!!

Wife is from Mill Valley.  top of Mt Tam, Sausalito are good memories.

Users who are viewing this thread