What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Sterling Shepard, NYG (1 Viewer)

ESPN's David Bowen says Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard is a moveable offensive chesspiece who could have an immediate NFL impact like Seattle's Tyler Lockett.
"The Oklahoma product put on a clinic at the Senior Bowl with his ability to create separation at the top of the route," Bowen wrote. "Chop the feet, swing the hips and burst out the cut. All day." Shepard went on to answer questions about his long speed and athleticism at the Combine, running a 4.48 40 and leaping to a 41-inch vertical. NFL Media draft analyst Gil Brandt compares Shepard to Wes Welker.

Source: ESPN.com 
Mar 30 - 1:48 PM

NFL Media draft analyst Gil Brandt compared Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard to Wes Welker.

Shepard's now received two comps to current or former Patriot wideouts, as Gordon McGuiness of Pro Football Focus earlier compared him to Julian Edelman. And now a Welker comparison. Brandt included the 5-foot-10, 194-pounder on his list of the 10 most underrated players in this draft pool, writing that he has "great hands and quickness for the position." The analyst also believes he could carve out a role as one of the better punt return men in the NFL once he settles in with a team. "He's a great character guy who will be a Day 2 (Rounds 2-3) bargain for some team," Brandt concluded. The analyst also voiced the belief earlier in March that Sterling could eventually be a 100-catch receiver at the next level. 
Mar 22 - 2:26 PM

Source: NFL.com

Pro Football Focus' Gordon McGuiness compares Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard to Julian Edelman.

Shepard (5-foot-10 1/4, 193 pounds) took 68.9 percent of his snaps in the slot last year (1,015 yards and six touchdowns from the slot in 2015) and profiles as one of the better slot-specific prospects to enter the league in recent years. He's got great hands (just four drops on 89 catchable passes last year), solid speed (4.48 40-yard dash at the Combine), tremendous quicks and route technique and nice acceleration in and out of cuts. "He might lack the height that many people want and expect from a top receiver, but in today’s NFL a player who can do as much damage as he can out of the slot can be invaluable to an offense," McGuiness wrote. Shepard has also drawn comparisons to Randall Cobb, Tyler Lockett and Antonio Brown. We're big fans of his work. Mar 12 - 8:44 PM

Source: Pro Football Focus

Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard was extremely efficient in the slot, catching 82.5% of the targets thrown his way when aligning inside, according to Pro Football Focus.
This was the highest percentage in the draft class. To take the point further, 76.7 percent of Shepard's catches this season came after lining up as a slot receiver. It would be fair to conclude that Shepard is at his best in the slot and projects there in the NFL, however, Shepard possesses traits and flashes of an outside receiver, which theoretically improves his evaluation.

Source: PFF College on Twitter 
Mar 8 - 10:15 AM

Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard indicated that he believes he could play inside or outside in the NFL.
"I've gotten a lot questions about whether I can play inside or outside. I believe I can do both of them. I did it all throughout college, and I don't think size played a big factor in it," Shepard said. Oklahoma cornerback Zack Sanchez (himself draft-bound) stepped to bat for the 5-foot-10, 195-pounder, noting that the three toughest wide receivers he's ever covered in college were Amari Cooper, Tyler Lockett and Shepard (though obviously he never faced Shepard in game-action). Said Sanchez, "He's just a complete receiver. There's not too many like him. He's the best receiver in the draft in my opinion. I may be a little biased because he's my teammate, but from a complete wideout standpoint, I don't think there's a guy like him."

Source: Sports Illustrated Campus Rush 
Mar 6 - 4:23 PM

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. noted that Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard "showed everyone that the tape didn't lie" through his workouts at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Sheppard showed off not just his typical wideout skill-set with a 4.48-second 40-yard dash, 41-inch vertical leap and 123-inch broad jump, he also turned in a strength clinic with his 20 reps on the bench press. For reference's sake, that was four more than Kansas State G Cody Whitehair, who one scout recently called "probably the best guard in the draft." Among the highest on Shepard are NFL.com's Matt Harmon and former NFL scout John Middlekauff, with Middlekauff calling him his favorite wide receiver in the draft and Harmon enamored with the 5-foot-10, 195-pounder's route-running. Kiper believes Sterling's locked himself up a second-round selection, but given just how high some analysts are on him, if an NFL team similarly falls in love there's no reason he won't have a chance to sneak into the back end of the first round.

Source: ESPN Insider 
Mar 5 - 7:10 PM

Former NFL scout John Middlekauff called Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard his "favorite [wide receiver] in the draft."
"Love me some Sterling Shepard," Middlekauff wrote. The 5-foot-10, 195-pound wideout just finished up with his 40-yard dashes for the afternoon and logged unofficial times of 4.50 and 4.49 seconds. Those are nice numbers. Add on his ability to run routes--NFL.com's Matt Harmon's called him "bar none" the best at that particular aspect of the game in this draft class--and you have a player who's a borderline first-round selection. He's previously drawn a comparison to Randall Cobb from NFL Media's Mike Mayock.

Source: John Middlekauff on Twitter 
Feb 27 - 12:53 PM

NFL.com's Matt Harmon says Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard is "bar none" the best route runner in this year's class.
That's not all. The analyst calls Shepard his "favorite" wideout in the draft. Shepard, he wrote, displays "great ability to execute even the most in-depth and nuanced aspects of route assignments like an NFL veteran." The 5-foot-10, 195-pound Shepard, who threw down 233 receptions and 14.9 yards per catch over his collegiate career, has drawn comparisons to Randall Cobb, Tyler Lockett and Antonio Brown. Because of his tremendous quickness and route execution, Harmon says Shepard is difficult to contain man-to-man.

Source: Backyard Banter 
Feb 15 - 8:00 PM

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock pointed out that Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard and Randall Cobb share dimensions.
The pair share several similarities. Like Cobb, the 5-foot-10, 195-pound Shepard is a dangerous weapon in the slot whose value will transcend similar players of that ilk. Matt Harmon of NFL.com calls Shepard the best route-runner in this class. Similarly to Cobb, a former second-round pick of the Green Bay Packers, Shepard figures to be slightly under-drafted. Rotoworld's Josh Norris sees Shepard as a borderline top-20 overall prospect.

Source: NFL.com 
Feb 11 - 3:54 PM

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay noted that Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard " proved this [Senior Bowl practice] week...that he's one of the best route runners in this class."
Shepard's lack of top-end speed has already been documented, but McShay believes he makes up for that with a number of other attributes. "With good hands and quick feet," wrote the veteran analyst, "he has the look of a natural slot receiver at the next level." The 5-foot-10, 195-pound wideout caught 86 passes for 1,288 yards and 11 touchdowns this past season. Rotoworld's Josh Norris is likewise enamored, writing earlier this month that Shepard is "already precise in some of his breaks, creating separation and sustaining it." The former Sooner's also a catching savant (PFF graded him as having the best catch-rate in the country) and has the ability to haul in passes in contested situations.

Source: ESPN Insider 
Jan 29 - 7:37 PM

By Pro Football Focus' 2015 grades, Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard was the best wide receiver in the nation and also posted the best catch rate of any receiver.
"It would be unfair to label him as simply a slot receiver, as he demonstrated remarkable efficiency on deep routes," the PFF staff wrote. "He caught all 10 of the catchable balls thrown to him on passes that traveled 20 or more yards downfield, including four touchdowns. That’s a limited sample size, but shows what he’s capable of when utilized as a deep target." We totally agree and have made the same point, as have others. The 5-foot-10, 195-pound senior finished his final college season with an 86-1,288-11 receiving line. "He looks like he has a strong frame to absorb contact, and he showed the ability to separate from coverage during one-on-one drills," wrote PFF. The site believes Shepard may be "the best wide receiver prospect in Mobile this week." Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks him as the No. 22 overall prospect in the 2016 NFL Draft and the third-best player at the Senior Bowl.

Source: Pro Football Focus 
Jan 28 - 8:04 PM

Rotoworld's Josh Norris thinks Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard "can win in contested situations without creating separation."
The analyst argued that Shepard should not be catalogued solely as a small-game receiver. "Granted, Shepard mostly wins in the typical 'small game,' burst, explosion out of cuts, creating separation, zone spacing awareness and yards after the catch," he wrote. "However, this year I saw Shepard haul in difficult catches more than in years past. Catches that required adjustment, ones that required arm extension." Shepard, a two-time All-Big 12 selection, posted 86 catches for 1,288 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2015. Norris ranks him as the No. 22 overall prospect in the 2016 NFL Draft and the third-best player at the Senior Bowl.

Source: Rotoworld 
Jan 26 - 3:46 PM

Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard held a private workout with the Texans and has visited or worked out with the Panthers, Steelers and Cowboys.
This per the Houston Chronicle's Aaron Wilson. Shepard is viewed -- generally -- as being in a tier below Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell, Baylor WR Corey Coleman and TCU WR Josh Doctson. He has drawn comps to both Julian Edelman (Pro Football Focus writer Gordon McGuiness) and Wes Welker (NFL Media's Gil Brandt). Meanwhile, ESPN's David Bowen has offered a different comparison for the 5-foot-10, 194-pounder. He believes that in the NFL, he could be used as the Seahawks use Tyler Lockett.

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter 
Apr 16 - 12:21 PM

big fan of this kid. problem for him is going to be who claims him. patience may be required.
He is ready to go from day 1 and be a good NFL player. Whether he is a good fantasy player will definitely depend on who drafts him. What do you see as best case and worst case scenarios for SS?

http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/reception-perception-2016-nfl-draft-prospects-results.html

Sterling Shepard simply broke the system with an 82.8 percent success rate against man coverage, and 91.1 percent against press. Question his size, or a future as “just” a slot receiver, but that is a rare ability to get open. Over a full Reception Perception sample, Shepard posted SRVC numbers akin to that of some of the best wide receivers in the NFL. His advanced and nuanced route-running combined with tangible athletic gifts should make him a lock for a top-three ranking at his position.

Showed a video on ESPN recently and this kid really had people who doubted him and Stoops showed him some love out of respect to his father. Good story.

Last edited by a moderator:
An anonymous NFL scout disagreed with those comparing Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard to Randall Cobb, saying that Cobb "has more grit, versatility, big-play stuff."
""He's a slot," the scout said to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "He's quick, he's shifty, knows how to play. Not the biggest and toughest. He doesn't play as fast as he times but he should do well in there." The toughness comment is subjective, but it should be noted that Shepard tied Aaron Burbridge for most bench reps (20) among WRs at the Combine. "He is (just a slot), but most teams run 60, 65% of their offense in a three-wide receiver package," a second scout said. "So he's going to be on the field a lot. He's very steady. Really good hands. Very good route runner." Shepard, whose father Derrick played receiver in the NFL from 1987-'91, had a 233-3,482-26 line over his collegiate career. "He's not a real fast guy and not a real (big) guy, but he just has that knack and he's a pretty good punt returner," a third scout said.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

CBS Sports' Pete Prisco believes that Oklahoma WR Sterling Shepard has the ability to perform either as a slot receiver or an outside thread.
"I loved him when I watched him play on television for the Sooners," Prisco wrote. "But I loved his tape even more. This is a kid who will excel in the slot for any team, but I also think he can go outside and get the job done." Slot receiver remains his most probable NFL destiny. The 5-foot-10, 194-pound Sterling has drawn comparisons to Randall Cobb and Wes Welker.

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 25 - 9:03 PM

didnt plan on considering him in any of my leagues but this is a very good fit, still a little worried about his size but its going to be very tough for defenses to cover him and beckham so i could easily see if he stays healthy all year him being the top rookie WR

ESPN Giants reporter Dan Graziano believes second-round WR Sterling Shepard "will get every opportunity" to be the No. 2 receiver.
Shepard is a talented player, but it is not like the Giants have many other options behind Odell Beckham. Dwayne Harris is stretched as a primary target on offense, and Victor Cruz still needs to prove he is healthy and able to contribute. Despite his small frame (5'10/194), Shepard has the quickness, explosiveness and ball skills to win all over the formation. It would be an upset if he is not the No. 2 option.

Other than ODB, the Giants have nothing at WR and didn't ...well I was surprised they didn't do much of anything to fix that.

I'm afraid Cruz is done. Harris is not very good. "Stretched as a primary target" is very kind wording.

I still expect them to sign someone.

Shepard should play a lot regardless.

I like their UDFA Poe. It will be interesting to see him. I think the real sleeper is Anthony Dable. He's one of the better foreign athletes to play in the NFL. It's not that the NFL didn't see him as a special athlete either because BB tried to make him a LB. You don't see that position switch. WRs shouldn't...it's not right. He's got that take a hit and bounce off it like it's nothing, even jumps over tacklers. He's a baller if I ever saw one on tape. Orande Gadsden was a former Arena guy that had a real nice brief career with the Dolphins. He is the only one I can think of that was a WR that played LB and ..skip measurements that guy made plays and caught balls you didn't expect him to. Gmen should just put Dable in the slot and see what happens.

With Shepard filling outside maybe Poe and Harris backing up, as long as Dable can fill the slot (or Cruz), they really could go from a nothing WR corps to being surprisingly impressive.

If these guys don't pan out, wow is that a lot of pressure on ODB. They have "too many" RBs and better try em' at WR before they cut them. It's really a fascinating group for FF

Giants.com's Michael Eisen said second-round WR Sterling Shepard will be targeted "frequently" as a rookie.
"And I believe that will be true whether or not Victor Cruz again becomes one of Eli Manning’s favorite targets," Eisen continued. There appears to be hope Cruz will contribute this season, but there is little chance he returns as the same offensive force we saw in 2012. Shepard enters the offseason program as the clear favorite for the No. 2 job, and he could easily top 100 targets as a rookie.

Source: Giants.com 
May 14 - 10:24 AM

His college coach said they loved it when defenses used Man coverage on him, because he'd burn his man so badly.

I wouldn't worry about his height. It's same as OBJ and Shepard has a 3" higher vertical.

I think Shephard is a great WR addition for the Giants.

Just got to talk up the guy the Vikings got in the second round Mackenzie Alexander who I guess played well against him. He mostly played man.

Got the best of OU wide receiver Sterling Shepard in back-to-back seasons LInk

Becoming more bullish on Shepard as time goes on. Own the 1.05 in one league and pretty much dead-set on taking him there - also have the 1.02 in one league and considering trading down to 1.04-1.05 to take him. Think he could be a top-3 WR in this class.

Eli Manning says second-round WR Sterling Shepard has caught "everything" in OTAs.
It's a concern if you're not catching everything in OTAs, but it's notable in that all reports on the No. 40 overall pick continue to be positive. Shepard could challenge for WR3 value as Manning's No. 2 target this season.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter
May 23 - 1:27 PM

According to the New York Daily News, second-round WR Sterling Shepard "appears to be a lock" for a starting job.
Even if Victor Cruz (calf, Achilles') finally comes back, Shepard's role should be secure in two-receiver sets opposite Odell Beckham. Per the Daily News, Shepard drew "nothing but raves" at OTAs, demonstrating "terrific speed and great hands." Shepard should finish No. 2 on the Giants in catches this year.

Source: New York Daily News 
Jun 13 - 4:37 PM

He sounds a lot like OBJ (size, athleticism, advanced and pro ready skills), a key differentiator could be few WRs of any size have ever attacked the ball and had as acrobatic of an aerial game (Moss, Fitzgerald, few others come to mind) as OBJ - but even if Shepard isn't as good in that category or department, that still leaves plenty of room to be an exceptional WR.

Clearly Shepard will be the WR2, but historically many offenses have supported two WRs (ATL's Jones and White before he fell off the cliff, for just one recent example).

Is there a consensus on what his dynasty ceiling could be (top 20 - 10 - higher?).      

In Matt Harmon I trust. Hopefully his ADP doesn't creep up too much as the OTA and training camp fluff pieces start rolling in.

Becoming more bullish on Shepard as time goes on. Own the 1.05 in one league and pretty much dead-set on taking him there - also have the 1.02 in one league and considering trading down to 1.04-1.05 to take him. Think he could be a top-3 WR in this class.
Careful....if he is your target you may want to stay at 1.2. By the time draft rolls around I expect him to be in the conversation for 2 through 4.

6 weeks ago I was loving him as a sneaky grab I was hoping to get but now the lauding of him has gotten to be TOO much and he's not the value play anymore.  Going to be harder and harder to get and that usually means unless he is lights out, will be more disappointing to people than elating.  So, in dynasty, I am looking at him as an off-season buy now instead of a draft investment.

6 weeks ago I was loving him as a sneaky grab I was hoping to get but now the lauding of him has gotten to be TOO much and he's not the value play anymore.  Going to be harder and harder to get and that usually means unless he is lights out, will be more disappointing to people than elating.  So, in dynasty, I am looking at him as an off-season buy now instead of a draft investment.
The problem with that is that the price tag can still go up with any kind of productive season.

Why is his draft investment price so daunting now by the way? Immediately following the draft (pre-lauding, if you will) he was pretty firmly entrenched in the 1.05-1.07 range. Even if you'd now have to invest the 1.02, does that really change much? Who are you really bypassing? I like Treadwell, Doctson and Coleman all fine, but none are exactly sure studs.

I don't know about dynasty ADP, but his redraft ADP was WR53 on May 5th and the June 6th composite ADP shows him as WR50. So not exactly a huge swing in that regard.

I don't know about dynasty ADP, but his redraft ADP was WR53 on May 5th and the June 6th composite ADP shows him as WR50. So not exactly a huge swing in that regard.
I should have said "where I expect the price to go when the majority of drafts start happening en mass", given the chatter around him.  Not truly what I would say my stance is at this very moment (forecasting in general).

Shutout said:
I should have said "where I expect the price to go when the majority of drafts start happening en mass", given the chatter around him.  Not truly what I would say my stance is at this very moment (forecasting in general).
Gotcha. Yeah, I could see a big preseason game (or even just a highlight reel catch) leading to a huge ADP jump in August. People love them some rookies.

Dr. Octopus said:
The problem with that is that the price tag can still go up with any kind of productive season.

Why is his draft investment price so daunting now by the way? Immediately following the draft (pre-lauding, if you will) he was pretty firmly entrenched in the 1.05-1.07 range. Even if you'd now have to invest the 1.02, does that really change much? Who are you really bypassing? I like Treadwell, Doctson and Coleman all fine, but none are exactly sure studs.
I think that's the part where you have to go with your gut feeling or educated guess.  In my opinion (only), I don't think he will come out and play so well  that he obviously drives the price tag up (a situation like Amari Cooper where you draft him at 1.03-1.05 and he is Clearly demanding so much more now). 

So I think that leaves him in a scenario like you describe as without "any kind of productive season" and by that, I interpret as "good", "noteworthy and not forgotten" but also not exceptional. So when I think of that scenario, I compare it to other players with good buzz/hype, notable guys recently.  So, let's say Melvin Gordon, Tevin Coleman, Phillip Dorsett, Nelson Agholor, Duke JJohnson.  These are all players that were likely 1st rounders in good sized leagues.  Maybe as high as 3 (Gordon), but in the top 10-14 and with a good amount of chatter about them. 

Now, one year later, I'd rather buy them at their price now than use the 1st rounder because they can be had cheaper.  I'm obviously banking on some owners out there that are a little down on these guys emotionally (not all owners but there are some) that would be willing to wash their hands of it at this point. Again, not cut and dry and the consensus but there's usually a guy or three in most leagues that are a little on the impatient side. 

So I wouldn't say the price for Sterling in itself is daunting, I'm just thinking with a little patience, the price may be much friendlier.  If nothing else, if things go relatively as a lot of people expect them to, what will happen is OBJ will be awesome and a target hog and Victor Cruz will get some love and even if Sterling has a "nice" season, there will be owners who, one year in, will be thinking and saying "he's good but he's always going to be capped by the presence of OBJ.  ANd then you add to it Cruz.  Probably not enough to kill him but enough to pester his stat line.  And then Manning will be 36 or so.  It just seems like there are enough ingredients in the stew to set up a sell next year.

NJ.com expects Giants second-round WR Sterling Shepard to be an "instant-impact player."
The Giants are forcing Shepard into their No. 2 receiver role, but he's obliging by living up to the hype in padless practices. Shepard is in danger of being over-drafted, but with so many targets there for the taking in New York, his path to WR3/4 value is real.

Source: NJ.com 
Jun 26 - 3:16 PM

I think that's the part where you have to go with your gut feeling or educated guess.  In my opinion (only), I don't think he will come out and play so well  that he obviously drives the price tag up (a situation like Amari Cooper where you draft him at 1.03-1.05 and he is Clearly demanding so much more now). 

So I think that leaves him in a scenario like you describe as without "any kind of productive season" and by that, I interpret as "good", "noteworthy and not forgotten" but also not exceptional. So when I think of that scenario, I compare it to other players with good buzz/hype, notable guys recently.  So, let's say Melvin Gordon, Tevin Coleman, Phillip Dorsett, Nelson Agholor, Duke JJohnson.  These are all players that were likely 1st rounders in good sized leagues.  Maybe as high as 3 (Gordon), but in the top 10-14 and with a good amount of chatter about them. 

Now, one year later, I'd rather buy them at their price now than use the 1st rounder because they can be had cheaper.  I'm obviously banking on some owners out there that are a little down on these guys emotionally (not all owners but there are some) that would be willing to wash their hands of it at this point. Again, not cut and dry and the consensus but there's usually a guy or three in most leagues that are a little on the impatient side. 

So I wouldn't say the price for Sterling in itself is daunting, I'm just thinking with a little patience, the price may be much friendlier.  If nothing else, if things go relatively as a lot of people expect them to, what will happen is OBJ will be awesome and a target hog and Victor Cruz will get some love and even if Sterling has a "nice" season, there will be owners who, one year in, will be thinking and saying "he's good but he's always going to be capped by the presence of OBJ.  ANd then you add to it Cruz.  Probably not enough to kill him but enough to pester his stat line.  And then Manning will be 36 or so.  It just seems like there are enough ingredients in the stew to set up a sell next year.
They only need him to catch 4-5 passes a game for 50 yards or so. To be enough of an option opposite ODB.

Cruz shouldn't take away from Shepard til late in the season and maybe then. They each need to get some action and get used to the NFL-for different reasons. 

The Gmen have solid rugged TEs that can make a difficult catch but they're not big play guys. They'll certainly use 3 WR sets often if they need a big gain.

Cruz' experience could matter if the playoffs are on the line. I don't see them pushing the envelope at all til later in the year.

Need? I don't think it's really about need,  he's already their second best WR unless Cruz is actually his old self.

Back when the NYG coach was in GB he was part of an offense that made a mad man out of Cobb and they still had a huge outside presence while throwing a ton. I'm not trying to state the obvious, but isnt it pretty obvious what is about to happen? Hall of Fame QB with a great #1 option and a fast athletic sure handed slot guy. Sound familiar? Over thinking things is what leads to people calling a WR picked at slot 40, over many other WRs left out there, a mere role player. He may be, but thats what your guess is at this point? I guess he will be a role player, his role will be to be Cobb in the offense.

The Giants have no #2 option, what more do you need to know? Cruz? People are still buying that he will matter? Broke his knee and sat out an entire year and still isnt healthy, he is done. Not to state the obvious again, but isnt it pretty obvious what is about to happen? Cruz is now a role player, if anything and if he even stays on the team.

The wrong NY team got this kid if you ask this Jets fan.

• Smile
Reactions: LBH

Users who are viewing this thread