What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg's Useless Trivia #14 (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
A collection of mostly useless but sometimes interesting things I've come across. There are bugs with opening a lot of spoiler boxes at once. Easiest to avoid if you close each box again once you read the answer. If that doesn't work, just reload the thread and they should work again.

Links to previous useless trivia:

1) According to Guinness, an Indian actor named K Brahmanandamhas has the most acknowledged film roles, with 857. But an American has the record for most leading roles. Who is it?

John Wayne. Of his 153 films, he played the lead in 142 of them.
2) How many times hotter would a lightning bolt have to get to be as hot as the the surface of the Sun (10,000 degrees fahrenheit)?

Trick question. Lightning bolts are already 5x hotter than the surface of the Sun, about 53,000 degrees.
3) How many sitting US Presidents have been assassinated?

Four. Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley and Kennedy. All were killed by gunshot.
4) What unique distinction do the words, "we leave as we came and, God willing, as we shall return: with peace and hope for all mankind" have?

They were the last words said on the surface of the moon, by astronaut Gene Cernan.
5) Though often regarded as the first emperor of Rome, Julius Caesar never held that title. What was Julius Caesar's actual title granted by the Roman senate?

Dictator
6) So then who was Rome's first actual emperor?

Julius Caesar's nephew Octavian became the first emperor of Rome after the Battle of Actium in 31 BCE. He took the name Augustus Caesar.
7) What country was the first to allow women to vote, in 1893?

A) United States
B) New Zealand
C) Switzerland
D) Sweden
E) Portugal
F) Saudi Arabia

B) New Zealand. Saudi Arabia granted the right to women in 2011, though it would be 2015 before they could exercise it.
8) About what percent of the count of bones in a human body are in your feet?

A) 5%
B) 10%
C) 15%
D) 25%
E) 35%

D) The 52 bones in your feet make up about 25 percent of all the bones in your body.
9) What was invented in 1937 by Ruth Graves Wakefield of the Toll House Inn in Whitman, Massachusetts?

The chocolate chip. Wakefield cut up chunks of a Nestle chocolate bar and added them to a cookie recipe. The cookies were a huge success. Wakefield reached an agreement with Nestle to add her recipe to their packaging in exchange for a lifetime supply of chocolate.
10) The Oscar awards for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and Best Screenplay are sometimes known as "The Big Five". Only three films have won all five. Name any of the three.

It Happened One Night (1934), One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (1975), The Silence of the Lambs (1991).
11) What do the following list of cities have in common?

Luxor, Egypt
Mexico City, Mexico
Upper Xingu, Brazil
Byblos, Lebanon
Argos, Greece
Sydney, Australia

They are listed as the oldest cities with continuous habitation for each of the major continents. The oldest is Argos, Greece, which is listed as having been continuously inhabited for the past 7,000 years.
12) There are 13 countries in South America. How many of them do not border Brazil?

Two. Only Chile and Ecuador do not border Brazil.
13) Shout out to the FBGs vs Kasparov- chess game thread. What is the only move in chess where a piece is captured but is not replaced on its square by the capturing piece?

En passant, which happens immediately after a pawn moves two ranks forward from its starting position and an enemy pawn could have captured it had the pawn moved only one square forward. The enemy pawn captures it but takes the position as if the pawn had only moved 1 square forward. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Ajedrez_captura_al_paso_del_peon.png

Last edited by a moderator:
5 right. Knew three, guessed two based on context of the question. Embarrassed I got the assassination one wrong.

Wow, 10/13. And there's another answer to the chess question.
Took that from the Wikipedia entry, which I only had read thanks to the thread. What's the other answer?

When I first read it, I considered whether taking the King at the end would also apply. But I am of the impression the King is never captured, since it ends on the losing player's turn with a checkmate.

Quiz #1, Question #10 is wrong. Dog Day Afternoon did not win Best Picture!
Whoops, don't remember what the source was back then. Still, it was a Best Picture nominee... and the other picture which was nominated but lost... lost to one of his other movies. I think pound for pound it's got to be the best filmography for an actor.

Got 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12. 8/13

Had never heard 9 before but guessed it based on the Inn name.

I had heard that lightning bolts were hotter then the sun, but didn't know the actual number. So I gave myself credit for recognizing the trick part

And I was reading number 8 as volume instead of count, so I guessed way low. Like "what % of your total body's bone mass is found in your feet"

Got 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 10, 12. 8/13

Had never heard 9 before but guessed it based on the Inn name.

I had heard that lightning bolts were hotter then the sun, but didn't know the actual number. So I gave myself credit for recognizing the trick part

And I was reading number 8 as volume instead of count, so I guessed way low. Like "what % of your total body's bone mass is found in your feet"
Updated wording of 8 to make clear it's count.

Can't do spoilers on mobile for some reason. Will post later.
I added into my spoiler a possibility I'd thought about when I first read it, but believed they were indeed correct. Is that what you were thinking of, or something else?
Nope, another situation. The king is absolutely never captured.
Promoted pawn via capture.
Sorry, should have added spoiler.
Right, when

a pawn captures on the back rank and becomes a queen (or whatever other promoted piece the player may choose)
. . . that satisfies the criteria Greg laid out.

Users who are viewing this thread