What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg's Useless Trivia #13 (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
A collection of mostly useless but sometimes interesting things I've come across. There are bugs with opening a lot of spoiler boxes at once. Easiest to avoid if you close each box again once you read the answer. If that doesn't work, just reload the thread and they should work again.

Links to previous useless trivia:

1) We'll kick off Trivia #13 with a Friday the 13th question. A historical event from the 1300s is often mentioned as the cause of the superstition that Friday the 13th is a bad luck day. What event?

At dawn on Friday, 13 October 1307, King Philip IV of France had members of the Knights Templar (to whom he was greatly in debt) arrested, tortured into giving false confessions, and then burned at the stake. According to Wikipedia, this explanation may be a modern creation rather than the actual cause, citing 1955 as the first time it showed up in print as the reason.
2) There are 118 elements in the periodic table currently. How many occur naturally on Earth?

Different sites have different numbers, but going with wikipedia there are 94 elements which occur naturally, with another 6 that are only found as trace elements. Full credit for answering either 94 or 100.
3) What is the only country to have a square flag?

Switzerland. Vatican City does as well but does not count as a country.
4) What percent of the Earth's fresh water is contained in Lake Superior?

A) 1%
B) 5%
C) 10%
D) 20%
E) 30%

C) About 3,000,000,000,000,000 gallons, which is 10% of the world's fresh water
5) Why are most prescription drug bottles orange?

The orange bottles prevent ultraviolet light from degrading the potentially photosensitive contents, yet still let enough visible light through to see the contents.
6) The first commercially successful typewriter was the Sholes and Glidden typewriter of 1874. During development it originally had a keyboard laid out alphabetically, but then was reorganized to the QWERTY arrangement that we still use today. Why did they change it away from alphabetical?

When two keys with printheads near to each other inside the typewriter were pressed too quickly, they would jam. So the keyboard was rearranged so letters frequently typed together, such as S and T, were moved to places on the keyboard where their internal mechanisms would be further apart. We've never switched back due to the effort it would take people to learn a different keyboard.
7) Also known as the Queen of Soul, who was the first woman inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Aretha Franklin
8) A well-known fictional character was originally going to have a first name of "Mortimer", but the wife of his creator thought it sounded too pompous and suggested the name we know today. Who is the fictional character?

Mickey Mouse, who Walt Disney nearly named Mortimer Mouse but for his wife.
9) What meaning did the creator of the Olympic logo give for the choice of the number of rings in it?

Pierre de Fredy, Baron de Courbertin included in his explanation of the design that, "it represents the five inhabited continents of the world". Coubertin used a loose interpretation of "continent" that included Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceania.
10) True or False, most bird knees bend the opposite direction as ours do.

False. While that promiment bend in bird legs does bend the opposite direction, that bend is actually their ankle, not their knee. Their knee is up closer to their body and normally covered by feathers. https://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-4c5e36a3d0efca2a658378856d724e95?convert_to_webp=true
11) According to Google's Webmaster Trends Analyst Gary Illyes, what is the most searched for term on Google?

It's "Google".

Last edited by a moderator:
I got 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11 for 8/11.

I guessed 4 correctly, I'm not sure if I had heard that before so subconsciously went with the right answer, or if it was just dumb luck. Not sure I would have gotten it right without the choices though.

*Edit to add, not sure how I missed a bunch of these before. I love random trivia, and now to go waste an hour going back through the old threads. Thanks for these.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread