What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 New York Giants Thread (1 Viewer)

netnalp

Footballguy
Right now the Giants have the 10th pick in the draft. A loss to Philly keeps them about that spot. A win has them picking around 15th.

I don't know about Coughlin, It's time for him to go, but I want to see what the OC and DC can do with more time. Though I have no evidence to support it, I don't think it works to not allow a coach to hire his own OC and DC.

On other boards, people have mentioned Josh McDaniels. I wouldn't want him. Denver was a train wreck under him. Sure he's done great with NE, but it seems like it's hard to tank with Brady as your QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
@MikeGarafolo

Tom Coughlin meeting with ownership is over. He'll now be meeting with his coaching staff for a second time today.

----------------------------------------------------------------

After the loss to Philly, the Giants will have the 10th pick of the draft. Bucs have same record but have the tie breakers for a better pic. Also due to the loss the Giants will play the Rams next year in London instead of facing the Seahawks in Seattle if they'd won.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Giants coach Tom Coughlin has informed his staff he will not be back for 2016.

Quiz Part 1:

Name ALL of the 2015 NFL head coaches who have won two or more Super Bowls

Quiz Part 2;

Name all of the current and former living NFL head coaches who have won two or more Super Bowls

Quiz Part 1:

Name ALL of the 2015 NFL head coaches who have won two or more Super Bowls
I think Belichick is the only other one.
Quiz Part 2;

Name all of the current and former living NFL head coaches who have won two or more Super Bowls
Parcells, Walsh, Seifert, Shanahan, Jimmy Johnson all come to mind. There are probably others.

Quiz Part 2;

Parcells, Walsh, Seifert, Shanahan, Jimmy Johnson all come to mind. There are probably others.
Tom Flores.

Apparently Jerry Reece is being retained. Good argument he has been more of the problem.

Apparently Jerry Reece is being retained. Good argument he has been more of the problem.
Reese has been flat out bad, of late.

Coughlin has worked with less and less talent each year for a while now, it seems. Reese's drafts have missed more than hit, and we have a defense which nearly precludes the team from high upside competitiveness.

Reese has been flat out bad, of late.

Coughlin has worked with less and less talent each year for a while now, it seems. Reese's drafts have missed more than hit, and we have a defense which nearly precludes the team from high upside competitiveness.
Just read something that said of the 46 players that dressed on Sunday, only 14 of them were drafted by Reese. And one, Nicks, really shouldn't count since he is back as a FA. That is telling. Take a slate of your favorite HOF coaches, put them all on staff and I doubt they'd do much better. The lack of talent beyond Eli and Beckham is astonishing.

As far as I am concerned, they got rid of the wrong guy.

Avery said:
IMO keeping Reece is a big mistake. I agree that one can make a good argument that he has been more of the problem.

I guess we should get a coach first but here is a list of the Giants defensive free agents. Who should the Giants try to bring back?

JPP

Prince Amukamara

Robert Ayers

Cullen Jenkins

Trumain McBride

George Selvie

Jayron Hosley

Markus Kuhn

Craig Dahl

Jasper Brinkley

Bennett Jackson

Stansly Maponga

Trammain Jacobs

Barry Cofield

Brandon Meriweather

Nico Johnson

I guess we should get a coach first but here is a list of the Giants defensive free agents. Who should the Giants try to bring back?

JPP

Prince Amukamara

Robert Ayers

Cullen Jenkins

Trumain McBride

George Selvie

Jayron Hosley

Markus Kuhn

Craig Dahl

Jasper Brinkley

Bennett Jackson

Stansly Maponga

Trammain Jacobs

Barry Cofield

Brandon Meriweather

Nico Johnson

Does anyone else think that, having kept Reese, the obvious choice to replace Coughlin is promoting Spagnuolo? He has head coaching experience, although it wasn't a very good outcome; but Giants like guys who have gotten experience elsewhere and come back. It would allow continuity, and they can keep McAdoo as OC. And if it fails in 2016, you can fire Reese and everyone else and start fresh. Basically, a 1 year trial.

Pay for Payton IMO. Same coaching tree as Coughlin, proven but much younger, has playoff success, & a Super Bowl win under his belt. Keep McAdoo, & include some of Payton's offense (already have the Bush, Sproles RB in Vereen). Plus, it would drive Dallas fans crazy & sports talk radio around here would be great listening to them moan about it.

Payton was an offensive coordinator for the Giants as well. Under Fassel, under he lost the reigns and eventually left for the Cowboys. So there is some history already there for him too.

How many winning seasons has Payton had since his SB run a few years back? I wouldnt touch Payton with a ten foot pole.

Nor would I take Spags as HC he engineered one of the worst teams in NFL history in STL. He's not just bad he's historically bad.Giants def this season was one of the worst in NFL history.

Coughlin failed in each of the past 4 seasons just how long are we supposed to give him? Its a what have you done for me lately league..in his case, nothing.he's done nothing since 2011.

4 years is an eternity in the NFL..he got stale.

Not a McAdoo supporter either. I think you throw out the whole lot of coaches and start from scratch..

I'd call BOTH Harbaughs..I'd consider Josh McDaniels. Francesa was talking up Eric Mangini..watching him when he was an analyst on ESPN you could tell he really knows a lot about football..probably was the best analyst on ESPN ..but his person to person skills were lacking , maybe he's corrected that? He is familiar with NY media and how difficult it can be..

Mike Smith is out there..

Gase?

IrishTwinkie said:

JPP

Prince Amukamara

Robert Ayers

Cullen Jenkins

Trumain McBride

George Selvie

Jayron Hosley

Markus Kuhn

Craig Dahl

Jasper Brinkley

Bennett Jackson

Stansly Maponga

Trammain Jacobs

Barry Cofield

Brandon Meriweather

Nico Johnson
I'd bring back Brinkley also.

IMO keeping Reece is a big mistake. I agree that one can make a good argument that he has been more of the problem.
Yeah, Reese has done bad. I think he's reached for "athletes" rather than reliable players. None of his gambles seem to have paid off. Then there's David Wilson and that safety that nearly lost his leg. Can't blame him for those, just crappy luck.

Then he hits big on UDFA like Cruz and Will Hill and it doesn't last. They don't make up for his bad drafts, they should have been bonuses.

JPP

Prince Amukamara

Robert Ayers

Cullen Jenkins

Trumain McBride

George Selvie

Jayron Hosley

Markus Kuhn

Craig Dahl

Jasper Brinkley

Bennett Jackson

Stansly Maponga

Trammain Jacobs

Barry Cofield

Brandon Meriweather

Nico Johnson
I'd bring back Brinkley also.
McBride and Jackson too.

I'm warming up to the idea of McAdoo being HC. With a very experienced QB, I think it's a good time. Because if it works, then McAdoo will have 4-5 years as HC when it comes time to draft Eli's successor.

I was on fence about Brinkley. I wouldn't be opposed to the idea.

I'm reading more. I am thinking Reese is delusional at this point.

I don't like the idea of losing McAdoo. Eli's no spring chicken and McAdoo has him playing well. I'd prefer that Eli doesn't need to start over in a new offense again. Now if they'd ditch Randall....

JordanRaanan
Steve Tisch says #Giants hope to have a coach by end of the week. He's been talking to Jerry Reese every day.

Can't believe they axed him without having a guy in place. 7 interviews of largely lackluster folk? Coughlin still seems like the best answer, but I would guess no one's ego would allow a reconcilliation

McAdoo seems the most logical choice with Spags staying as DC.

But whoever is chosen the issue of Reese still being there doesn't improve the situation,imop.

Considering what they are looking at it seems like the Giants would have been better off keeping Coughlin in place for another season and then turning it over to McAdoo.

I read that the Eagles really like McAdoo. My guess is that the Giants will hire either McAdoo or Hue Jackson but it’s just a guess

JordanRaanan

Steve Tisch says #Giants hope to have a coach by end of the week. He's been talking to Jerry Reese every day.
I guess that rules out McDaniel's? That's who I'm hoping for if they don't hire Hue.

Ben McAdoo , how do you Giants guys feel about this. Obviously god news for the O
I think if they want to go with a young, inexperienced HC, then now with Eli is the best time. Offense stays similar I like that. If it works, McAdoo will be experienced when the time comes to pick Eli's successor.

@JordanRaanan 16s16 seconds ago
Jordan Raanan Retweeted Anthony Gargano
Hearing this too. With joe Philbin as a potential OC #giants

Ben McAdoo , how do you Giants guys feel about this. Obviously god news for the O
Probably a year or two earlier than the Giants wanted to do this but I think the plan was for McAdoo to follow Coughlin when he was hired as OC.

Hopefully the running game improves (not really counting on it if Phlbin is the OC)

The Giants have plenty of cap room so let's hope Jerry Reese can bring in some high quality players on the defense

I think if they want to go with a young, inexperienced HC, then now with Eli is the best time. Offense stays similar I like that. If it works, McAdoo will be experienced when the time comes to pick Eli's successor.
From the outside looking in....this is an unexciting hire. Not sure how happy I would be if I was a Giants fan.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I kind of like Spags as a DC, not thrilled but the team can do worse. Also, I felt that McAdoo was brought in to be Coughlin's successor and I think the offense played as well as the talent on hand would allow it. He has interesting potential as a head coach. On the other hand, the only thing that's really changed is that Coughlin is gone. Otherwise it feels like status quo following a 6-10 season and a stretch of missing the playoffs for years. If they had at least replaced Reese I would be more optimistic, but at this point I am not.

From the outside looking in....this is an unexciting hire. Not sure how happy I would be if I was a Giants fan.
Last time the Giants promoted a coordinator to HC they chose OC Ray Handley to be HC over DC Bill Belichick. The rest is dismal history.

Am I the only one that thinks that McAdoo hasn't done enough to make me think he will succeed as a HC? You go from Rodgers (where wasn't even a Coordinator, he coached TE and QBs) to two years of just telling another SB winning qb to throw to the best young WR in the game.

The complete lack of running game the Giants have had in the past two years is a huge red flag to me. This just reeks of McDaniels in Denver to me. A smart young guy with some success promoted way too early who is quickly in over his head.

I think this isn't good, not with Philbin as OC. McAdoo worked for him, & will now (supposedly) be calling the shots. I don't think that dynamic works well.

Calling it now, in their 2nd season together Philbin gets fired & McAdoo takes over play-calling duties. That is, unless Philbin gets McAdoo fired first.

This has bust written all over it.

Am I the only one that thinks that McAdoo hasn't done enough to make me think he will succeed as a HC? You go from Rodgers (where wasn't even a Coordinator, he coached TE and QBs) to two years of just telling another SB winning qb to throw to the best young WR in the game.

The complete lack of running game the Giants have had in the past two years is a huge red flag to me. This just reeks of McDaniels in Denver to me. A smart young guy with some success promoted way too early who is quickly in over his head.
Eli has had two of his best years with McAdoo coming in. I think that was another knock on Coughlin, that he had fought to keep Gilbride.

The running game was bad before McAdoo. The line is getting in shape but the RG spot suffered from injuries and RT just sucked. Then there have been several articles showing that the RB aren't the greatest at choosing the right hole. Additionally the RBBC was a big bust this year. That falls on Coughlin for either insisting on it or not shutting that down.

Promoting McAdoo is risky absolutely! But sometimes you have to take a risk. And I think it's important that Eli not to have another offense to learn this late in his career.

HC McAdoo. Sounds like a children's tv show. "You can do it, McAdoo!" Doo dodit doo doo!

I think this isn't good, not with Philbin as OC. McAdoo worked for him, & will now (supposedly) be calling the shots. I don't think that dynamic works well.

Calling it now, in their 2nd season together Philbin gets fired & McAdoo takes over play-calling duties. That is, unless Philbin gets McAdoo fired first.

What I've read is Philbin was OL coach when McAdoo was QB coach. So they were peers. Philbin and McAdoo had a good working relationship and stayed in touch. That's why he's the choice. They work well together and will be on the same page as far as the offense.

The bigger question would be, how well do Spags and McAdoo get along. Hopefully Spags realizes that the best way for him to wash the stink off of from his Rams, Saints and last years defense is to turn things around in NY. If he can build the defense into a top 15 or so defense, teams might start looking at him again.

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the Giants are expected to promote QBs coach Mike Sullivan to offensive coordinator.
It means Joe Philbin will be added to Ben McAdoo's staff as something else, likely assistant head coach.

I guess it makes some sense if the plan was to hand over the HC reigns, but God this played out a bit messy.

Thank god everyone had/has supreme class - in a lot of cities this would be really ugly by now.

I like McAdoo because he has a lot of upside as a coach and can help the offense in an offensive league. Would rather he than a retread who you know is not bad but also not going to ever be great or even very good.

Just wish we HAD changed full house. At least Reese.

netnalp said:
ebcpastor2004 said:

What I've read is Philbin was OL coach when McAdoo was QB coach. So they were peers. Philbin and McAdoo had a good working relationship and stayed in touch. That's why he's the choice. They work well together and will be on the same page as far as the offense.The bigger question would be, how well do Spags and McAdoo get along. Hopefully Spags realizes that the best way for him to wash the stink off of from his Rams, Saints and last years defense is to turn things around in NY. If he can build the defense into a top 15 or so defense, teams might start looking at him again.

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports the Giants are expected to promote QBs coach Mike Sullivan to offensive coordinator.

It means Joe Philbin will be added to Ben McAdoo's staff as something else, likely assistant head coach.
Appreciate the clarification. I think that dynamic would be easier to manage.

As for Spags, yes defense needs to improve but that includes better players. Hopefully Reese will do something about that. If not, the defense will basically stay the same (or get worse). :/

Users who are viewing this thread