What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Zach Miller - TE - Chicago Bears (1 Viewer)

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
Miller has been around - and gone - a really long time...

Where the hell has he been?

Before half right now he's 4/4/100/2. Last week he had another score.

Where has he been? Why did he leave the game and come back? How did he even do that?

eta - Ok, ok, I screwed up and had the wrong Zach Miller. I edited a lot of the above. He just looked like the other Raider/Seahawk Zach Miller. This is the Zach Miller formerly with the Jaguars. Still, until week 2 this year he hadn't caught a pass since early 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
Former UNOmaha (who doesn't even have a football team anymore) Qb had to learn how to both play the game and stay healthy, foot injury kept happening back in the day. He's an athlete though. Worth a shot on wire, but I'd likely have perillo or Tye ahead of him based on longterm upside

Any new thoughts on this hombre?

Bennett's gone but together they combined for 126/87/878/8 and Miller did a lot more with less, getting nearly 13 ypr and 5 of the 8 TDs. He reminds me the most of Barnidge in that he sat around on the bench for many a moon before being utilized.

Last edited by a moderator:
He does have a history of concussions, but I'm trying to grab him everywhere in the 11th or 12th or 13th.

Was worried about him staying healthy going into the season.  Didn't disappoint.  Hurt all of preseason.  Bum

Not much chatter about this guy but Jay Cutler loves his TE.  Gives 25% of his passes to the TE.  Great target and I'd trust him over Gabbert and McDonald.

Not much chatter about this guy but Jay Cutler loves his TE.  Gives 25% of his passes to the TE.  Great target and I'd trust him over Gabbert and McDonald.
I have seen him listed as a sleeper by a lot of people.  Last year was the first year of his career that he stayed mostly healthy and he looked really good as a receiver.  I am not as high on McDonald as some.  Chip Kelly is throwing more to the TE position but they don't have a lot of TDs so McDonald has more value if you are playing PPR.  

Any new thoughts on this hombre?

Bennett's gone but together they combined for 126/87/878/8 and Miller did a lot more with less, getting nearly 13 ypr and 5 of the 8 TDs. He reminds me the most of Barnidge in that he sat around on the bench for many a moon before being utilized.
He's my #1 TE in a dynasty league. I'm not proud yet I think he's got a lot of potential in this offense until the inevitable happens, he'll be hurt and done, I mean done. Ride him till the wheels come off. If he were to stay healthy, I could see 65-750-10. Seriously. He's talented but he can't stay healthy. Realistically, I see 35-450-4 before he's toast.

Miller has proven to be a nice piece on offense when healthy, but he will need to prove to the organization he can bounce back quickly this offseason in order to secure a spot on offense.

Amen to that. Zach was treated here in NO and I'm glad to hear he came out ok.

Rich Campbell‏Verified account @Rich_Campbell 3h3 hours ago

Fox said he was on phone with Miller's wife when Zach grabbed the phone: "Typical Zach, he was arguing about catch/no-catch."

Likely the last play of his career and the NFL robbed him of a heroic catch while his knee was shattered. Later, NFL. Better ways to spend my Sundays. 

I can't help but cheer for this guy.

Haven't seen many updates... is he really unlikely to ever play again?
Almost certainly not. One can't be 100% sure when it comes to these kinds of things, but based on his age and the severity of the injury, I'd say there's no chance he plays football professionally again. The team already put him on the PUP/reserve list, ensuring he won't play this year, and I'd be surprised if they re-up him for another year after this one. It took Bridgewater 16 months to recover from a similarly gruesome injury (which was ahead of schedule), so I can't imagine a scenario where a team is willing to take a chance on an a nearly 35 year old TE coming off an injury like this one.

I see this as a thank you from the team, as a show that they care about his family and health, and a way to ensure he has access to top-notch medical facilities and trainers as he works to maintain basic mobility.

I'm sure someone like @Dr. Dan could shed more light on the recovery time frame for an injury like this though, and the likelihood of him regaining full mobility.

Almost certainly not. One can't be 100% sure when it comes to these kinds of things, but based on his age and the severity of the injury, I'd say there's no chance he plays football professionally again. The team already put him on the PUP/reserve list, ensuring he won't play this year, and I'd be surprised if they re-up him for another year after this one. It took Bridgewater 16 months to recover from a similarly gruesome injury (which was ahead of schedule), so I can't imagine a scenario where a team is willing to take a chance on an a nearly 35 year old TE coming off an injury like this one.

I see this as a thank you from the team, as a show that they care about his family and health, and a way to ensure he has access to top-notch medical facilities and trainers as he works to maintain basic mobility.

I'm sure someone like @Dr. Dan could shed more light on the recovery time frame for an injury like this though, and the likelihood of him regaining full mobility.
Ah wasn't aware of a lot of that. In this case ya, that's cool of the bears for sure. 

That doesn't ensure anything.  They can take him off at any time before the regular season and they'll have a window to do so after week 6 as well. 

I agree it's unlikely he plays again and it's a pretty solid move to get him signed so he can have access to the team's medical resources.  That's the best care he's going to get anywhere.  I'm not even sure he'll be carried into the season, because that would require paying him the salary.  Right now they aren't on the hook for anything other than the medical which is mostly a sunk cost.  Would they actually pay him $458k?  It's a nice severance pay if so, but it's ultimately a business so it wouldn't shock me if he's not carried after August.

That doesn't ensure anything.  They can take him off at any time before the regular season and they'll have a window to do so after week 6 as well. 

I agree it's unlikely he plays again and it's a pretty solid move to get him signed so he can have access to the team's medical resources.  That's the best care he's going to get anywhere.  I'm not even sure he'll be carried into the season, because that would require paying him the salary.  Right now they aren't on the hook for anything other than the medical which is mostly a sunk cost.  Would they actually pay him $458k?  It's a nice severance pay if so, but it's ultimately a business so it wouldn't shock me if he's not carried after August.
I believe he’s guaranteed that amount and would make the full minimum if he were able to play. I think it’s a great move for the Bears. Could go a long way in signing FAs in the future. Shows they care about their players. 

I believe he’s guaranteed that amount and would make the full minimum if he were able to play. I think it’s a great move for the Bears. Could go a long way in signing FAs in the future. Shows they care about their players. 
Well it depends on what they do with him.  He signed a split deal which means if they put him on IR they only owe him the smaller amount.  To earn the full what, $715k? he'd have to be on the active roster - a virtual impossibility.  And he's not guaranteed anything according to spotrac, if they cut him they don't have to pay him.  Even if they do that and he doesn't earn any money it's still a good move because he gets access to the medical resources but the more I think about it the more I think they intend to carry him on PUP/IR.  He seems like a great guy and a good veteran to have around the young guys and the salary is a pittance to in the grand scheme of the team's budget.

Users who are viewing this thread