What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cutthroat League (1 Viewer)

I am a big fan of Cutthroat Kitchen and specifically Alton Brown. For the uninitiated, he puts a twist on the classic chef competition formula by allowing the contestants to use their own potential prize money to bid on "sabotages" that they can use to thwart their opponents. And I've wondered, what about introducing this element to fantasy football? What if, during my annual redraft auction, owners could bid on a handful of sabotages to use against a weekly opponent? It would certainly shake things up a bit, but would it be in a fun unique way or a horribly misconceived disaster kind of way? Such as, what if you could force your opponent to swap his starting QB for his bench QB in a given week? Or push another owner to the bottom of the waiver priority list? Or switch scoring formats for a particular matchup? The possibilities are endless, but is the general concept enticing?

Just curious about what the Pool would think about playing in such a league...

Last edited by a moderator:
As a throw away league for fun I am sure a group could have fun with it. Could have sabotages during the auction or draft too. Pick an opponent and he can't draft the position you name for 3 rounds. Force two teams to swap their last drafted players. Etc.

Sounds fun, but you really need to be very specific on the rules. If they are too vague people will twist them into variations that wouldn't be in the spirit of the game.

Sounds fun.

Make it cost something though. Like if you win a bid on a sabotage you have to use a roster spot until you use them. Maybe only have 1 sabotage per player. People could win all 12 (or whatever) but at the obvious price. Any sabotages that weren't won go into the waiver/FA pool.

Sounds fun, but you really need to be very specific on the rules. If they are too vague people will twist them into variations that wouldn't be in the spirit of the game.
Absolutely. Any potential sabotage would have to be well thought out and carefully written. And you'd probably need a rule about declaring your intent to use sabotage before the games begin. I like the idea about using a roster spot for the sabotage. Makes it less likely that an owner would try to load up on them. And the draft variation is another good one. Handcuffing an opponent from drafting a particular position would be deliciously evil.

I think it would be a lot of fun, let me know if you guys decide to do it for $25 or so.

Because I'm a complete dork:

1) Swapped Out - Replace a starting QB with the back up *Both QBs must be playing that week.

2) The Boot - Kicker points are moved up by a teir. *40-49 worth 30-39, etc

3) Pass Inference - Force opponent to bench a WR of your choice.

4) The Dark Side - Take one of your opponents bench players to start for your team that week.

5) The Big Mo - Get a 5 point boost if your team is leading going into a Monday night game. *Must be used before the first Sunday game starts.

6) Cut the Line - Switch waiver priority with your opponent.

7) The Don - Veto a trade until next week. *Trade still goes through it players just don't switch teams until next week.

8) Slight Draft - Block a league mate from bidding on a player. *Must be a player you nominated and stated before the nomination.

9) Running Away - Choose a RB from your opponents starters. However, their other RB gets their points doubled.

10) Locked Out - Your opponent isn't allowed to make any trades, pick ups or drops for the rest of the Week.

11) Weak Defense - Opponent's defense automatically has the max points allowed. *Their defense gets 51+ or whatever regardless of how many points they actually allow.

12) Two Tight - Opponent must start a TE in their flex spot.

These are my ideas and haven't played Madden in a long time but they used to have cards you could play like this if you need some more ideas.

The question is the use of these

Could the same team be picked on each and every week if someone wanted. I know in my home dynasty league, I know for a fact, I would receive one of these each and every week and a league fav would almost be crushed.

1) Swapped Out - Replace a starting QB with the back up *Both QBs must be playing that week.

4) The Dark Side - Take one of your opponents bench players to start for your team that week.

5) The Big Mo - Get a 5 point boost if your team is leading going into a Monday night game. *Must be used before the first Sunday game starts.

7) The Don - Veto a trade until next week. *Trade still goes through it players just don't switch teams until next week.

8) Slight Draft - Block a league mate from bidding on a player. *Must be a player you nominated and stated before the nomination.

9) Running Away - Choose a RB from your opponents starters. However, their other RB gets their points doubled.

10) Locked Out - Your opponent isn't allowed to make any trades, pick ups or drops for the rest of the Week.

11) Weak Defense - Opponent's defense automatically has the max points allowed. *Their defense gets 51+ or whatever regardless of how many points they actually allow.

These are my ideas and haven't played Madden in a long time but they used to have cards you could play like this if you need some more ideas.
Imagine doing these in a dynasty league and have them be slotted with the rookie draft.

The question is the use of these

Could the same team be picked on each and every week if someone wanted. I know in my home dynasty league, I know for a fact, I would receive one of these each and every week and a league fav would almost be crushed.
Nice humblebrag.

First off: This concept is fantastic, and these ideas are fantastic. Especially with the rise of DFS, I think a lot of long-time redraft leagues are gonna have to start adopting some sort of twist on the standard format if they want to hang together in the years to come, and this is one of the best I've come across.

Off the top of my head, here are some thoughts on how these could be employed:

• The commish comes up with 20-25 ideas for these sabotages each summer and sends them out for an up/down vote among owners a couple of weeks before the draft. The 10 (or 8, or 15, or whatever) that get the most upvotes are implemented for the coming season. The selected ideas are written down on cards (or the electronic randomizing equivalent) before the draft.
  • One concept could be that everyone gets one sabotage - if using a snake draft, the owner in the 12-hole gets first choice of sabotage after the draft, followed by #11, etc. (this somewhat balances out the natural advantage that the early drafters get in most snake formats).
  • Alternatively, owners could bid on sabotages (either specific ones or random ones) out of their FAAB budget right after the draft (probably would want a rule that no owner could win more than, say, 3).
  • Another concept would involve allocating sabotages during the season at escalating (real money) prices ... the first one purchased at any point during the season (assuming a $100 buy-in league) costs $5, the next one $7, the third one $9, etc. ... and they'd be for random sabotages, which aren't revealed until purchased.
  • No team can play sabotages in consecutive weeks, nor can any team be the victim of sabotages in consecutive weeks (this is purely for fairness' sake, might not be necessary if you *really* want a Cutthroat Kitchen type of league).
I'm really digging this concept. Not sure I've got the right sort of leaguemates to try to push something like this through, but I'd love to hear if/how it works out from someone that does.

First off: This concept is fantastic, and these ideas are fantastic. Especially with the rise of DFS, I think a lot of long-time redraft leagues are gonna have to start adopting some sort of twist on the standard format if they want to hang together in the years to come, and this is one of the best I've come across.

Off the top of my head, here are some thoughts on how these could be employed:

• The commish comes up with 20-25 ideas for these sabotages each summer and sends them out for an up/down vote among owners a couple of weeks before the draft. The 10 (or 8, or 15, or whatever) that get the most upvotes are implemented for the coming season. The selected ideas are written down on cards (or the electronic randomizing equivalent) before the draft.
  • One concept could be that everyone gets one sabotage - if using a snake draft, the owner in the 12-hole gets first choice of sabotage after the draft, followed by #11, etc. (this somewhat balances out the natural advantage that the early drafters get in most snake formats).
  • Alternatively, owners could bid on sabotages (either specific ones or random ones) out of their FAAB budget right after the draft (probably would want a rule that no owner could win more than, say, 3).
  • Another concept would involve allocating sabotages during the season at escalating (real money) prices ... the first one purchased at any point during the season (assuming a $100 buy-in league) costs $5, the next one $7, the third one $9, etc. ... and they'd be for random sabotages, which aren't revealed until purchased.
  • No team can play sabotages in consecutive weeks, nor can any team be the victim of sabotages in consecutive weeks (this is purely for fairness' sake, might not be necessary if you *really* want a Cutthroat Kitchen type of league).
I'm really digging this concept. Not sure I've got the right sort of leaguemates to try to push something like this through, but I'd love to hear if/how it works out from someone that does.
People get to sabotage me? Sign me up, cant wait. Seems like fun to have others control my team.

The only restrictions I would have are no sabotages in playoffs and each sabotage is "used up" after it's use. I haven't seen Cutthroat Kitchen so I'm not exactly sure how it works.

Whatever format that is used for drafting is going to cost somebody a draft pick/auction nomination and money and also a roster spot. If I decide that I'm not going to buy any and every week some uses one on me then that also means someone had to burn a roster spot and a pick/budget so, I should have a natural advantage anyways.

Going to shotgun some thoughts. How I would do it if I was going to. If you don't agree, do it however you want, I'm not telling you you're wrong. I'm just saying what I'd want.

1) I would not try to start this up in an existing league. I would make a new one so you have people who would embrace it. That, and I want my normal leagues to be taken more seriously than to allow something like this.

2) If you have problems filling the league, one idea would be to go with a draft and go league. Do this at an auction or draft with sabotages only for that day, and then let the league play out with the rosters that result. If it's a live draft or auction, the sabotages can really be creative, like have to hit a bullseye on a dartboard in 3 tries or the person after you gets to pick, and then it's your pick again and back to the dart board, repeat.

3) I would want it as zany as the TV show. Something like 5 bonus points would not be in the realm for consideration. In the TV show, a sabotage can sometimes leave a chef barely able to even put anything edible on the plate. A good sabotage here, IMHO, should be something with the capability of leaving starting lineup spots empty, or filled with backup players, or changing up a team's roster to where he's scrambling to continue. The average score should plummet. I would want impactful sabotages and zany is better if you can come up with them. Some samples:

• Cannot start any player named Smith, Jones, Johnson, or with a first or last name that is a color or sounds like a color.
  • Can only start players who finished college ball in a state ending in a vowel or "y" (Alabama, Florida, California, Kentucky, etc).
  • Can only start WRs for whom the owner can find non-photo-shopped photos online that contain the player and any representation of a piece of fruit.
  • Cannot start any players who were drafted in the 1st round of the NFL draft.
  • Any starters whose NFL.com bio photo does not contain a beard, mustache, etc receive only 1/2 points for the game.
  • Starting QB is sabotaged and opponent receives 1/5 of any points of players who catch a pass from that QB in that game.
  • Passing and receiving touchdowns become worth -6 and interceptions and fumbles become worth +1. QB in lineup cannot be changed after sabotage is played.
  • In order to start a player, the owner must find a real life person with the same first name as the player and have them contact the commish with proof of their name, endorsing the player being started.
  • Must drop any players on the roster who have not started in a fantasy game for that team yet (don't give out this sabotage until later in the season).
  • Any players on the roster who have not started for you yet must start over any players who already have started. Players who have not yet started cannot be dropped to avoid them.
  • Can only start players who are playing at home..
  • ...Or away.
  • ...Or wearing or not wearing certain colors.
  • ...Or whose team name is an animal of some type
  • ...Or whose team name is a person of some type (Raiders, Patriots, Bucs, etc).
  • Must set your lineup now for your fantasy game 3 weeks from now. No changes can be made unless another sabotage specifically forces you to start a player.
  • Must start all players on roster with a Questionable injury status on Friday's injury report. Players already on injury report cannot be dropped.
4) I would want there to be a lot of sabotages being played every week if having weekly ones. Enough so, say, 2/3 of the league is hit with them every week.

More ideas;

- Once Immune. So, if you have this you could use it to block a sabotage.

- Same Fate. Whatever sabotage gets put against the opponent, has to be used by both owners.

- Best Ball. Both teams get to use their highest scoring roster combination.

- Pick 6. Any INTs your opponents QB throws count a 6 points for your team.

- Foreign Exchange. Opponent must start a player who was born outside the U.S.

- Fair Trade. Make a trade with two other teams players for that week. *One from each side, both playing that week, players involved must be drafted within two rounds of each other 1st and 3rd, 7th and 9th, etc).

*** I've been giving these names in case you are able to input "players" (with first and last names) into your league rosters.

As far as how to distribute sabotages, one simple idea that would work if wanting a lot of these each week would be each time a team loses a game they are given a random sabotage they must use that week. You could also have a couple of extras then that are up for bid.

Amazing idea, love it. Would be really interesting to do this in a friends league. Even if it was a small add in to a current league just do lets say $5 per "sabotage" max of 2 sabotages per team and allow them to be traded along with players/picks and such. You can chose to purchase some of them or chose to play "honorably" and try to win that way. If you purchase them, then all proceeds go to the winner of the league.

Fun concept, would be interesting to see if/when/how some people implement this idea into leagues (existing or newly formed).

Greg Russell said:
As far as how to distribute sabotages, one simple idea that would work if wanting a lot of these each week would be each time a team loses a game they are given a random sabotage they must use that week. You could also have a couple of extras then that are up for bid.
I like starting everyone out with 1 BLOCK and handing out the sabotages with losses. Guys that are losing are doing their best to bring the leaders back within grasp. I also like the idea that sabotages that are earned must be used for that next week of games. This then is constantly tilting the league.

This should be a new league with everyone onboard to playing in such a format.

If you want it to be more like the show it could be a survivor league format. Sometimes the best chef is eliminated early because everyone is gunning for him and he has multiple sabotages.

Like the idea and agree it should be a newly formed league. I'd join in a heartbeat if someone starts it up. I would also vote to use a victory point format.

Thus far, I've struck out in my attempts to integrate this idea into my existing leagues. Something about the "purity" of competition... whatever. So if any FBGs are thinking of doing a league like this, I'd definitely be interested.

I like this idea and likewise request to be included if anyone here starts one up. Might be easier just to allow one sabotage per owner and distribute via random assignment before the draft. Any not used during the draft will require a bench roster slot, and they could be traded for players or other sabotages.

Some good ideas so far, I have some possible additions:

1. Reverse scoring - the targeted owner must select one player for whom they will receive the inverse number of points the player actually scores that week. So if the targeted owner picks Andrew Luck and he scores 20 fantasy points that week, it's treated as a score of negative 20 for his team. If he starts T-Rich who scores -5 points because he lost 10 yards in carries and two fumbles the targeted owner would get a *positive* 5 points for his team. If the owner picks someone who doesn't even start that week or gets no points, it's treated as a score of negative 10 points for his team.

2. Prevent defense - the targeted owner cannot start the same defense more than once in a season.

3. Onside kick - for one week, the kickers from every other team will be reassigned to a targeted owner; the person playing the sabotage can designate himself as the target if he so chooses. The target's roster for the week can contain no skill players or defense and he must field a team with kickers filling every starting spot. All other owners will need to fill their starting K position with a waiver wire player unless they already carry a second kicker on their roster. All players will revert back to their original owners after the week is over.

4. Fire drill - All head-to-head matchups scheduled for the given week are discarded and new HTH matchups are randomly assigned.

This is a really fun idea. I am going to propose this in a 15 year running auction league. I think it is a great twist.

Hal

Users who are viewing this thread