What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (6 Viewers)

Hot Chocolate 15K Race Report

Coming into this, as I already mentioned, I've been feeling good health-wise as my achilles hasn't given me any problems and I was able to run 30 miles last week comfortably.  While my fitness still isn't anywhere near where it was, I felt it was good enough to try and give a good effort here.  My goals were to negative split this race (force myself to start slower) and see if I could at least beat my time for this race from last year since this was my first repeat race.  Last year, I had a good start and then struggled mightily from miles 5-9.  I remember how awful that felt for the entire 2nd half of the race.  My official time to beat was 1:17:28 (8:19 mile).

My wife has been much more relaxed about racing and arriving early.  It's awesome.  With it being even colder this year, we didn't want to get there too early.  Got up at 5:30, did the business, had some yogurt with jelly and honey as well as some coffee for breakfast.  Temp this morning was even colder than expected at 18 degrees.  Put on my new fleece lined tights over the wind resistant boxers and a pair of shorts (mostly for the pockets).  Thermal base on top, t-shirt, then a running jacket top.  Neck gaiter and hat and the new gloves.  Picked up some slightly thicker saucony socks yesterday at the expo and wore those (the only new thing I hadn't tried) with the new Kinvara 9's.   Ended up dressing perfectly for this thing.  Left the house about 6:40, drove 10 minutes to the park and had a little over one mile hike to the start line.  We jogged the mile and it was a perfect warmup, arriving about 15-20 minutes before race start.  I will say the gloves I linked above were fantastic.  Hands never felt cold the entire race and I truly can't recommend them enough.  Saw our friend, took a couple pre-race pics and then we were ready to go.  I decided to stay near the 8:30 pacer to start.

Mile 1 -- 8:28, HR 153

It's a big race with lots of people but we were placed in Corral A because of our times last year so we are at the front.  This was nice as it wasn't terribly congested.  Nice easy start and this mile ticked away pretty quickly.  I was happy with the easy effort and the pace.  I could see the 8:00 pacer ahead of me and was far enough behind as he kept gaining distance which was perfect for me.  I knew the 8:30 was close behind and I was pleased that I kept it slow enough the first mile.  A decent uphill at the end of this mile but I managed it well.  Good start.

Mile 2 -- 8:13, HR 161

This mile had a steep downhill to start so I let it go and tried to get a little time with it since it was early on.  That was followed by a continuous uphill the rest of the mile.  Still a decent effort but when I saw the pace to finish the 2nd mile, I would have preferred it be a little slower.  I didn't want to fall into the trap of going out to fast too early and had to remind myself that I really wanted to negative split.  While I felt good, I wanted to make sure I kept the effort easy.

Mile 3 -- 8:09, HR 163

This was a relatively flat, net downhill.  I consciously was making sure I was holding it back.  I ran almost the entire race without looking at my watch so I was basing it all on effort.  This was a pretty comfortable mile and I was surprised at the time.  But, it was making me nervous because this was now going to make a negative split more difficult.  And I knew more hills were going to come.

Mile 4 -- 8:34, HR 167

And here was the hill.  And this mile sucked.  I started thinking I was going to get into big trouble again here.  So I backed it off and tried to reset here.  I wasn't going to make the same mistake as I did last year and I kept reminding myself of my primary goal.  In hindsight, I think this was my best mile because of this.  I kept it disciplined.  Also stopped at the water station with a water and short walk with it.  By the end of the mile, I started feeling much better.

Mile 5 -- 8:12, HR 167

I knew at this point if I wanted to negative split, I needed to start to pick it up a little.  Started off with a downhill and then another uphill but this one felt much better.  I was in good shape.  Then, toward the end of this mile, the 8:30 pacer starts running next to me.  WTF?  This didn't make sense to me because I knew I was at a faster pace than that overall.  We crossed the 5 mile marker and he goes "we're right on pace".  I'm looking at my watch and it says 42 minutes.  I asked him and he said his pacing was to account for the extra distance that we'll end up running which made sense.  I'll admit I was initially a little disheartened to see that but I figured I could now use that as a little motivation.  I ran with him for most of the next mile and then knew I'd have to keep picking it up.  I also knew that my next split was unlikely to be faster than my first 5K.  And I thought of this thread and me posting about wanting to negative split.  Time to HTFU.

Mile 6 -- 8:13, HR 166

Another relatively flat mile.  Pretty uneventful.  We hit the turnaround toward the end and I started passing the runners behind us.  I was feeling good.  And I remembered how awful this was for me last year and how much better this was for me this year.  A little over 5K to go and I was in great shape.  I felt like I had enough to keep this up and hopefully push at the end. 

Mile 7 -- 8:09, HR 167

This was a net uphill but it didn't get to me at all.  I was feeling good.  I was feeling strong.  And I kept a nice steady pace despite the uphill.  When I saw the final lap split I was thrilled.  I was going to make it.

Mile 8 -- 8:38, HR 166

And then mile 8 happened.  Started off with a nice downhill and then another awful uphill.  This was bad.  My level of fitness caught up with me.  My legs felt good but I was working on this hill.  I knew I had to slow down or I was going to blow up.  So i bit the bullet and slowed it down.  Stopped toward the end of the mile at the water station, walked a little bit at the station knowing I had a little over one mile to go.  I wasn't too happy with the split but overall I knew it wasn't the end.  I knew the last mile was going to suck.

Mile 9 -- 7:43, HR 167

Time to make the negative split happen and finish strong.  And thankfully this was a good downhill to make it happen.  I started picking up the pace and told myself I was a BMF.  I made it this far so let's HTFU and give it all I've got left.  So I did.  I knew I was picking up earlier than I probably should but in doing the quick math I figured I had a shot to PR from last year too.  The only bad part was that I couldn't see the finish line for any kind of motivation but I knew it was coming up.  One last little uphill and then time to finish.

Mile 9.3 -- 7:11, HR 169

Screw it, I'm starting the final kick early.  I'm giving everything I have.  I could see the finish and I'm just passing people left and right.  Only one person passed me in the final 1/2 mile.  I was strong.  I'm thinking I might puke but I don't care.  The last 2/10ths were truly a blur.  I crossed the finish line, saw my wife was waiting, and almost passed out. 

Final -- 1:17:16 (8:18 pace), 281/2784 overall, 21/107 in AG

Well, good enough for a 12 second PR from last year's race.  Considering where I'm at just coming back from not running, I'll definitely take it.  And better yet, a negative split.  Goals accomplished.  So, while not the best time in the world and I know I have better in me with more training and ideal fitness, I'm thrilled with the result.  On top of that, I overall felt so much better for the entire race compared to last year.  I feel like I raced it much better and much smarter.  Really didn't have anything left at the end.  Almost fell after crossing the line from being dizzy and needed a couple minutes to get it back.  Feel great now.  Dressed well, new shoes were awesome.  Sidenote, my wife also PR'd from last year by over 30 seconds (8:01 on Strava) and just smoked it.  6th in her AG out of 206.  So proud of her.  She keeps getting faster and faster and she hadn't even run much this last month either overall. 

Time to rest a little and enjoy some football today.  Have a good weekend, fellas.

ETA --- Not sure whose idea it was to put ice in water for the water stations when it's 18 degrees outside but that was awful.  I couldn't really drink the water because of it.  That hurt. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Put on my new fleece lined tights over the wind resistant boxers and a pair of shorts (mostly for the pockets).  Thermal base on top, t-shirt, then a running jacket top.  Neck gaiter and hat and the new gloves.  Picked up some slightly thicker saucony socks yesterday at the expo and wore those
then finished building a big igloo out back (should last 'til the guys come in June) and took the sled dogs out for some training.   :P   

--

Great job of running your race strategy, and great finish to get the PR you wanted, especially when you weren't as prepared as you would've liked!  :pickle:

Great job on the PR! Good of you to have a plan and execute on it. Hope you and the little misses enjoy a deserved celebration tonight. 

Awesome @gianmarco, always love to see negative splits and a race ran well.

This weather can #### itself. Its been raining and in the low 40s the last few days after getting up to 70 last weekend.  But at least I've been enjoying the indoor trainer, great purchase. Now I just need to decide whether the ifit membership is worth $12 for a few months. 

You know you're getting old when you go out in the wet and cold, run fairly well, feel pretty darn good about it, then get back to the house, go to drink a cup of water and feel like you pulled your shoulder. 👴 Thankfully it felt better after the shower but that was weird. 

@tri-man 47 When you post the template for the year-end reports, would you consider including an additional question? I was thinking of a question similar to “What lessons did you learn this year?” 

Last week, @pbm107 alerted me to a study that the University of Delaware is doing on achilles injuries in runners.  I immediately filled out the questionnaire.  If you fit their age/speed criteria (unknown to the survey responder), they'll accept you into the study.  If not, they just delete you and you'll never hear back.

I haven't heard back yet.  :kicksrock:  Keeping my fingers crossed - I'd love to participate.
I heard back last night that I was chosen for this study.  They sent me a ton of details on what they're going to be doing, but it basically comes down to this:

• A bunch of questionnaires on my running and injury history
  • 2 testing sessions that will be walking, running, jumping, and calf endurance tests
  • 3 different ultrasounds, measurements, pain palpitations, etc
  • Run at home for 2 weeks and take detailed log (they supply the log and data elements to track).  While running at home, they give you Milestone foot pods to collect whatever data those things collect.
I'm looking forward to this - I'd like to learn more about the achilles.  Ironically, my achilles flared up on me Friday night after playing indoor soccer at my son's bday party.  I don't think it liked all of the sudden sprints (damn kids are getting fast).  It came out of nowhere, but feels fine after a couple days rest.

@gruecd, hat tip on the single leg RDL.  It's opened my eyes to some weaknesses I didn't know were there before.  It's now a part of every strength workout until further notice.  Need to work out some imbalances and get stronger up the middle.  I was already well aware of the latter, but had no idea of the former until I realized how much more difficult the single leg RDL was on my left leg vs. right.

So im kinda back from my MIST surgery.  I didnt die.  Lots of nasal bleeding.  Thats certainly interesting.  Its been almost 2 weeks and I still get some good blood redness in my nose blows.  Still lots of sinus headache stuff.

I had my first ride on Sat morning.  Nice and lazy, same as the one this morning.  I will have my first run tomorrow, again nice and lazy.

Other than that, im up about 7lbs of fat, salt, and alcohol.  Im guessing this will take at least a month to get over.  During this time I will also be trying to curb alcohol intake.  I find my alcohol intake correlates to sports team excitement.  The eagles are in the toilet, WVU football is over with a meaningless bowl game in which our Heisman want to be QB is skipping, and WVU basketball is in a rebuilding season.  With sports being rather uninteresting for the next 7 months, I should be in a good spot to bring alcohol way down.

What did I miss?

Coming into this, as I already mentioned, I've been feeling good health-wise as my achilles hasn't given me any problems and I was able to run 30 miles last week comfortably.  While my fitness still isn't anywhere near where it was, I felt it was good enough to try and give a good effort here.  My goals were to negative split this race (force myself to start slower) and see if I could at least beat my time for this race from last year since this was my first repeat race.  Last year, I had a good start and then struggled mightily from miles 5-9.  I remember how awful that felt for the entire 2nd half of the race.  My official time to beat was 1:17:28 (8:19 mile).
Awesome work!

You guys have a kid from my neck of the woods on your squad...Jordan McCabe.  He won Wisconsin's Mr. Basketball for 2018.
Love McCabe.  Im guessing he will redshirt, but aside from his youtube videos I think he has a good court presence.  His AAU highlights were impressive.

Long-timers in the thread know that I've jumped in here a couple of times over the years but running (and at times exercise in general) has never really stuck for me.  I don't feel like I have a good build for it, I don't necessarily enjoy grinding out miles and I don't really have a huge desire to log a lot of miles.  Having said that I've been back at it for a few months and do enjoy shorter runs and even some "longer" runs - longer for me being 5-7 miles.  Anyway, this thread is always super motivating as many of you are just BMFs and I'm in awe constantly with the group we have here - so thanks to everyone for that.

Now, I have a question - my right hamstring has been "injured" for about 6 weeks.  I assume it's just a strain but I'm trying to figure out how best to get it back to normal without possibly shutting down for the year.  It feels almost a little swollen and definitely like a pull.  When it first happened I took a few days off (I'm running at most 2-3 days a week) and it would feel better but then I'd get out there and it would almost be like having a flat tire.  I could tell it was off even if it didn't hurt and after 2 miles it would start kind of hurting again.  So I would rest longer - 3-4 days but same thing.  Last time I went almost 7-8 days and thought it felt good (not great) and it happened again.  So I waited almost another week and ran again - that was 2 days ago and I was able to go at a pretty good pace for me.  I stopped short of 2 miles thinking it would be the smart.  Next day hamstring bothered me again.  Note, it's not hurting bad at all - I could go run right now but I think I'd have that "flat tire" effect again.

So, now I don't know what to do.  My thought was to just keep going out 2-3 times a week and deal with the "pain" and wait for really cold weather and then shut it down.  Is that dumb?  Should I just shut it down now and if so, how long?  If it matters, it doesn't hurt any worse than the last 6 weeks - pretty dull pain, almost inflammation.  Just annoying and obviously not helping my performance.

Long-timers in the thread know that I've jumped in here a couple of times over the years but running (and at times exercise in general) has never really stuck for me.  I don't feel like I have a good build for it, I don't necessarily enjoy grinding out miles and I don't really have a huge desire to log a lot of miles.  Having said that I've been back at it for a few months and do enjoy shorter runs and even some "longer" runs - longer for me being 5-7 miles.  Anyway, this thread is always super motivating as many of you are just BMFs and I'm in awe constantly with the group we have here - so thanks to everyone for that.

Now, I have a question - my right hamstring has been "injured" for about 6 weeks.  I assume it's just a strain but I'm trying to figure out how best to get it back to normal without possibly shutting down for the year.  It feels almost a little swollen and definitely like a pull.  When it first happened I took a few days off (I'm running at most 2-3 days a week) and it would feel better but then I'd get out there and it would almost be like having a flat tire.  I could tell it was off even if it didn't hurt and after 2 miles it would start kind of hurting again.  So I would rest longer - 3-4 days but same thing.  Last time I went almost 7-8 days and thought it felt good (not great) and it happened again.  So I waited almost another week and ran again - that was 2 days ago and I was able to go at a pretty good pace for me.  I stopped short of 2 miles thinking it would be the smart.  Next day hamstring bothered me again.  Note, it's not hurting bad at all - I could go run right now but I think I'd have that "flat tire" effect again.

So, now I don't know what to do.  My thought was to just keep going out 2-3 times a week and deal with the "pain" and wait for really cold weather and then shut it down.  Is that dumb?  Should I just shut it down now and if so, how long?  If it matters, it doesn't hurt any worse than the last 6 weeks - pretty dull pain, almost inflammation.  Just annoying and obviously not helping my performance.
Tough to say as you’ve already tried a few days rest and then you tried a few days more. Since it still doesn’t feel right and it sounds like you prefer to keep running, a PT should probably take a look and might be able to straighten it out quickly.  Or recommend a stint of rest and/or strengthening moves.  Good luck. 

Couldn't stomach another treadmill run this morning so I got outside and decided to try to go for a fast/short run.  There's a wetlands area near my house and a ~3km loop around them.  I haven't attempted to PR my time around the loop since August but I guess this morning was as good a time as any to try.  

Temps were about -1C (30F), light winds.  Running tights + shorts, wool baselayer, light 1/4-zip on top of that.  Wool socks.  Gloves, touque, & headlamp.  Took the first 0.5km easier then hit the segment start for the loop.  Quickly discovered that over the last 3 months I've really gained some speed.  Rolling-through 4:40kms was definitely work but a few months ago not a sustainable pace.  This morning it was.  

Did the first loop and then another.  Both ended-up being PRs for me (9th overall among Strava users) and I also see I PR'd my 5K (23:28).  

Ran a little easier for the last km and then literally 100m from my house I wipe out on a neighbour's icy sidewalk  :rant:  (and have a great bruised knee to show for it now).

Couldn't help myself so on the way to work I put some ice melter on my neighbour's walk and left a *very friendly* note asking them to keep an eye on it in the future (they're the worst on the block for this but this is the first time I've actually slipped).

Anyways, great run.  Nice to see I'm adding some speed (by running slow) and after 8 consecutive days of treadmill it was refreshing to get outside for once.

?

I can only assume this is Canadian for bacon hat? 
Yeah like a knit cap/hat.  There are very few "Canadianisms" which don't translate well to the US but this is one.  A touque is a specific kind of hat.  Cold weather, no brim, covers at least the top of the ears (if not all), meant to keep you warm instead of fashionable.  

Oh and it's pronounced "tewk" (rhymes with "Groot").

Yeah like a knit cap/hat.  There are very few "Canadianisms" which don't translate well to the US but this is one.  A touque is a specific kind of hat.  Cold weather, no brim, covers at least the top of the ears (if not all), meant to keep you warm instead of fashionable.  

Oh and it's pronounced "tewk" (rhymes with "Groot").
Just in time for Bob and Doug's 12 days of Christmas.  5 Golden Touques!

Got my steroid injection in my knee on Monday (5.5 months from last one).  Thankful that Moxon didn't burst through the door and stop Vilmer from the injection.  

Now we wait for it to take effect.  Last time took about 4 or 5 days to start feeling good.  Got in 5.5 miles this morning and a little sore. 

mr. furley said:
Saucony Men's Triumph ISO 4 - for $30 at ****'s today

normally $160
Nice. $50 now but still a good price.

ISO 3 was on sale for $50 a week or so ago on Amazon, bought a pair. I went to the local run store to pick up a couple prizes (son placed 2nd, I placed 3rd a few weeks ago), and they had ISO (1 i guess?) On sale for $50. So I used a card for the discount there and bought some nutrition for the upcoming 50k. 

So now I have three pairs of Saucony to rotate through. Or I can keep a pair ready for the spring.

Kind of a random question, but do you guys find running on a treadmill harder than street running at a given pace?  For whatever reason (maybe it's that I set incline at 2% to offset lack of wind resistance, or maybe it's because I always overheat and sweat like @gruecd when on treadmills) I find that even a few minutes at a 5:00min/km pace is so much harder to sustain than running my entire HM at that pace.

This morning I tacked-on some 5:00 kms at the end of my usual treadmill session and my HR drove way up quite quickly.

Probably just me. :shrug:
The lack of wind to wick away the sweat is the worst part if you ask me. I sweat pretty bad anyway and without the elements to help, I am a dripping disgusting blob by the time I'm done. I have to have a hand towel to wipe off my face and head repeatedly and my shirt literally weighs more than a pound by the time I'm done. The stickiness becomes a bit oppressive sometimes but I'm getting used to it at this point mostly. Of course, I've been concentrating on longer, slower runs right now and watching my heart rate.

I've taken to running 50 minutes at a time - basically slowly increasing the pace to finish 5 miles in the 46-48 minute range and then slow it back down for a little cool down. Then doing some light lifting and/or sets of push ups and sit ups all to build a little strength - mostly core strength is what I care about right now. 

I've started getting used to it but I am definitely a sweaty blob by the time I'm done. At the slower pace, I feel about the same as when I set myself at that kind of pace outside - I can just keep going. But I do find the faster I bump it, the less I feel comfortable maintaining that if I were running a similar pace outside. I find I have to concentrate on breathing more on the treadmill as well as the distraction of trying to corral the ooze coming from every pour being worse than if I'm on the road. 

Looking for some cold temp gloves for us as well.  I was about to ask so I'm glad we've activated GloveTalk.

Not for super cold temperatures, but I did just pick up a pair of these and absolutely love them.  Ridiculously comfortable, good for temps in 20's and above (hasn't gotten colder yet), and yet with good feel that they are the closest thing to not wearing gloves while wearing them.
I picked up a very similar pair from costco a while back. They've been pretty good so far when I've been outside but I haven't really tested them yet in anything extreme. They are nice for driving too. 

Final -- 1:17:16 (8:18 pace), 281/2784 overall, 21/107 in AG

Well, good enough for a 12 second PR from last year's race.  Considering where I'm at just coming back from not running, I'll definitely take it.  And better yet, a negative split.  Goals accomplished.  So, while not the best time in the world and I know I have better in me with more training and ideal fitness, I'm thrilled with the result.  On top of that, I overall felt so much better for the entire race compared to last year.  I feel like I raced it much better and much smarter.  Really didn't have anything left at the end.  Almost fell after crossing the line from being dizzy and needed a couple minutes to get it back.  Feel great now.  Dressed well, new shoes were awesome.  Sidenote, my wife also PR'd from last year by over 30 seconds (8:01 on Strava) and just smoked it.  6th in her AG out of 206.  So proud of her.  She keeps getting faster and faster and she hadn't even run much this last month either overall. 

Time to rest a little and enjoy some football today.  Have a good weekend, fellas.

ETA --- Not sure whose idea it was to put ice in water for the water stations when it's 18 degrees outside but that was awful.  I couldn't really drink the water because of it.  That hurt. 
Very nice! Nice strong finish. 

For the record, I'm still somewhat sporadic in here but the motivation from this thread is awesome. I'm still lugging around a lot of extra weight but fitness level is getting better. Slowly losing while also enjoying the holidays is good by me. The thread is still great motivation. Even when not here I think you of you guys, particularly if I'm debating on if I "can" get out there or not. Usually more of a "will" than a "can" but the idea of the community here definitely is one of the things that makes me more bummed about missing than in actually getting out there. 

Right now I'm basically running 2 days a week very consistently. Trying to get myself to do 3 or 4 but when you work IT in the retail world plus have other holiday events going on, life gets in the way on top of excuses. It's nice to have a change of attitude. It's gone from being happy to have excuses not to work out to being bummed if a planned run doesn't happen. Just need weekends to free up a bit so I can get out for the longer runs then. 

Running a 5k this Saturday with a couple friends, so that will be something. Made it down to 220 finally. Still dreaming of getting down to 200ish or less (185 in a dream world but that's a long ways off right now). 

Went to the Podiatrist yesterday because I couldn’t put much weight on my left foot/ankle after the 11 miler Tuesday. He said I have Posterior Tibial Tendonitis, and recommended I get an x-ray. Also tried to put me in a walking boot but didn’t have one my size. He gave me some orthotics and told me not to run for 2 weeks. I’ve had some rough weeks after my half marathon. Haven’t been able to string together any runs. My Sciatica is killing me, and I think this is causing my left leg to pick up the slack. Which is having a negative impact on my surgically repaired knee. Which is spreading down to my leg/ankle/foot. Knee is really swollen along with my leg and foot. On top of all this, I’ve been really sick the last 2 and a half weeks. I just signed up for the Treasure Coast Marathon (same marathon I was a BMF last year). I planned to begin my training on Monday, not looking so well. Anyone deal with a pretty severe case of Posterior Tibial Tendonitis?

For the record, I'm still somewhat sporadic in here but the motivation from this thread is awesome. I'm still lugging around a lot of extra weight but fitness level is getting better. Slowly losing while also enjoying the holidays is good by me. The thread is still great motivation. Even when not here I think you of you guys, particularly if I'm debating on if I "can" get out there or not. Usually more of a "will" than a "can" but the idea of the community here definitely is one of the things that makes me more bummed about missing than in actually getting out there. 

Right now I'm basically running 2 days a week very consistently. Trying to get myself to do 3 or 4 but when you work IT in the retail world plus have other holiday events going on, life gets in the way on top of excuses. It's nice to have a change of attitude. It's gone from being happy to have excuses not to work out to being bummed if a planned run doesn't happen. Just need weekends to free up a bit so I can get out for the longer runs then. 
The gains really start happening with consistency over time.  So you’ve got the right idea of trying to get from 2 up to 3-4 runs per week. 

Kind of a random question, but do you guys find running on a treadmill harder than street running at a given pace?  For whatever reason (maybe it's that I set incline at 2% to offset lack of wind resistance, or maybe it's because I always overheat and sweat like @gruecd when on treadmills) I find that even a few minutes at a 5:00min/km pace is so much harder to sustain than running my entire HM at that pace.

This morning I tacked-on some 5:00 kms at the end of my usual treadmill session and my HR drove way up quite quickly.

Probably just me. :shrug:
Definitely the lack of wind to cool you down. Same thing on the indoor bike. I really start to overheat 20-30 minutes in unless I have the garage door open and it's in the low 30s. 

I'm no expert, but you haven't gotten much input.  If it's been 6 weeks and keeps reappearing, I have to wonder if it's a slight tear rather than a strain.  I think it makes sense to shut things down now, rather than pushing through for a few/several weeks when the colder weather arrives.  For how long?  I don't know ...a few weeks?

Anyone deal with a pretty severe case of Posterior Tibial Tendonitis?
Yes. In September. Sports med doc gave me a 6-day Medrol (oral steroid) dosepak. Literally went from not being able to walk without a limp to running 18 miles pain-free in 2 days.

gruecd said:
Yes. In September. Sports med doc gave me a 6-day Medrol (oral steroid) dosepak. Literally went from not being able to walk without a limp to running 18 miles pain-free in 2 days.
Whoa! How do I get my hands on this magic drug you speak of? 

tri-man 47 said:
I'm no expert, but you haven't gotten much input.  If it's been 6 weeks and keeps reappearing, I have to wonder if it's a slight tear rather than a strain.  I think it makes sense to shut things down now, rather than pushing through for a few/several weeks when the colder weather arrives.  For how long?  I don't know ...a few weeks?
@AAABatteries no matter the diagnosis, the remedy for hamstrings is, first, rest.  The more you try to run on them then come down with the same thing the more rest you need to get right again. With each ailment more scar tissue builds up that needs increasingly more time to heal.

I dealt with hammy problems for years.  @Ned did too.  And I'm sure others as well.  They suck.  Getting over them is frustrating.  How to get them right again and stay that way once healed is a completely different animal.  But to get to that point you have to let it rest.  Get your exercise in via other means while you wait.

@AAABatteries no matter the diagnosis, the remedy for hamstrings is, first, rest.  The more you try to run on them then come down with the same thing the more rest you need to get right again. With each ailment more scar tissue builds up that needs increasingly more time to heal.

I dealt with hammy problems for years.  @Ned did too.  And I'm sure others as well.  They suck.  Getting over them is frustrating.  How to get them right again and stay that way once healed is a completely different animal.  But to get to that point you have to let it rest.  Get your exercise in via other means while you wait.
Funny I was just reading  @AAABatteries post.

Dude, hamstring injuries (and groins are a close 2nd) are the absolute worst.  They're so damn finicky; as you've experienced, just as you think its healed up, BAM it's back again.  You have to rest and rest more than you think you need to.  Don't stretch it, ice as much as you can stand, and let it heal on it's own.  Go see a good sports massage therapist.  I also wouldn't rule out going to a PT and getting them to work in it.

I know that feeling of "if I fall off the wagon I may not get back on", but if you keep going you're just going to make it worse.

Thanks guys - appreciate the experienced opinions.  It is frustrating because most of the time I feel pretty good and it's never bad enough where I'm in real pain, just annoying.

The nice thing for me is I cannot stand running in what I consider cold weather.  I'd much rather run when it's 60-70 out than 50 and below.  But I've lived in the South my entire life so the heat doesn't bother me (even if it may be affecting my runs).

Hamstrings suck.  I've been dealing with a mild strain for a few months now.  

Users who are viewing this thread