What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k - Official Thread (4 Viewers)

Ned said:
pbm107 said:
Ned said:
This is the downside to registering for a race 7 months in advance...

We're only 45mins from Philly, but it's always a hassle to drive in and park before all of the road closures. We've always kicked around staying the night in Philly, but always decide not to because of the cost. So I go to print out my race confirmation for packet pickup and I open the email to see its a confirmation for a hotel. WTF? I bought a hotel but not the race??? Turns out I did register for the race (whew!) and must've bought the room the same day (4/1). I guess we're staying the night! :bag: :lol:
That's funny, where are you staying? I guess you are picking up your packet tomorrow then. I will be picking mine up during lunch today.
Yeah, picking up tomorrow afternoon. We're staying at the Loews Hotel with comfortably numb. We must've coordinated that back in April and just totally forgot!

Assuming you're maroon corral?
Yeah maroon, bib #898. I forgot what I put down for my estimated finish time (3:03), it's funny how expectations can change over a training cycle.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Ned said:
pbm107 said:
Ned said:
This is the downside to registering for a race 7 months in advance...

We're only 45mins from Philly, but it's always a hassle to drive in and park before all of the road closures. We've always kicked around staying the night in Philly, but always decide not to because of the cost. So I go to print out my race confirmation for packet pickup and I open the email to see its a confirmation for a hotel. WTF? I bought a hotel but not the race??? Turns out I did register for the race (whew!) and must've bought the room the same day (4/1). I guess we're staying the night! :bag: :lol:
That's funny, where are you staying? I guess you are picking up your packet tomorrow then. I will be picking mine up during lunch today.
Yeah, picking up tomorrow afternoon. We're staying at the Loews Hotel with comfortably numb. We must've coordinated that back in April and just totally forgot!

Assuming you're maroon corral?
Yeah maroon, bib #898. I forgot what I put down for my estimated finish time (3:03), it's funny how expectations can change over a training cycle.
I'll take the under (always a safe bet in this thread). Go crush it!!!

Ned said:
Nigel - looking forward to seeing you fully recovered! Patience, GB.

3K - Holy crap, man. You tri guys cease to amaze me. That swim sounded terrifying to me. And I had to laugh at you saying 80 degrees was nice for the run. WTF?
Honestly, I get cold hands (Raynault's maybe?) when I run and it's under 70, so 80ish is a nice temp for me.

Still following this thread, but a 2nd child, a move, and work have severely limited my time availability.

Just wanted to pop in quick to say that so many of you are doing incredible things, from 5K's to marathons and beyond and it's a definite source of motivation. I love the write ups ranging from daily training to full race reports. A huge thanks to everyone that contributes!

So in part thanks to this thread, I've signed up for my 2nd 5k of the fall. This one will be tomorrow AM when apparently some of you will be running halves or fulls. Just trying to beat the 26 and change I got in the 5k I did a few weeks back, and not die. Long gone are the days of my sub 20s. Thanks again for all the motivation, and maybe I'll be doing those halves with some of you next year.

Still no afib since the ablation but man I'm really laboring on my runs. I felt as spent during and at the end of 4M @ 8:05 yesterday as I dind with my HM @ 7:26 four weeks ago. I feel like I'm back to where I was a year ago fitness wise and dreading my runs. I guess I need to be patient but it's really frustrating.
Was this expected?
Not sure. I've read a lot about people taking more time off than I did afterwards. But my doc said as long as my groin is healed I could resume whatever I was doing before with no risk. Didn't really talk about performance expectations. I guess it makes sense that as my heart is still healing it wouldn't be working optimally but I feel so good otherwise that mentally I was expecting to pick up where I left off. I have a follow up in two weeks and I'll get some clarity then, will keep grinding away and hope for a breakthrough in the meantime.
Took me about 7 weeks or so to feel normal again. Felt like the ablation shaved off all my cardio fitness immediately following the procedure and then one day, it was just back. You gotta be patient but it does suck.
Good to know, and look at you now!

In the meantime another ####ty 4M at lunch, but it was around 60 and sunny here in Boston so beats not being out at all. Trying to stay positive!!

So in part thanks to this thread, I've signed up for my 2nd 5k of the fall. This one will be tomorrow AM when apparently some of you will be running halves or fulls. Just trying to beat the 26 and change I got in the 5k I did a few weeks back, and not die. Long gone are the days of my sub 20s. Thanks again for all the motivation, and maybe I'll be doing those halves with some of you next year.
No matter the distance, they all count. :thumbup:

Good luck tomorrow. We will expect a full report. :thanks:

Funny story that has nothing to with running but will share with my 10k crew...

I think it was three years ago that I completely forgot my wedding anniversary. The good news is that she did too...neither of us remembered until two days later. We laughed about it but I've been very careful since.

Last night I was out with my son and remembered "oh crap, tomorrow's our anniversary!" So I stopped and got flowers and snuck them into the house, with plan to give her this morning. We have guests coming into town this weekend and my wife's been preoccupied, running around getting ready. I said to my son "I bet mom forgets, this will be great". Sure enough we wake up today and she doesn't mention it, neither do I. As I'm getting ready to leave the house I give my son and my two daughters a heads up that I'm about to give her flowers, "come in the kitchen, this will be hilarious...".

So they do, and I fetch the bouquet, hand it to her and say happy anniversary. She looks at me with a stunned look and I say "hah! You forgot didn't you?!". Silence...then she replies calmly "what's the date?" I say triumphantly the "The 20th!!!". Kids are cackling. Then she says "you idiot, our anniversary is the 30th!!!" :bag:

Talk about self-ownage. I turned and as I walked out of the house said "let's never talk about this, forget it ever happened...". "Oh we'll talk about it!!!" she exclaimed gleefully as the door closed behind me.

Been getting happy anniversary texts from friends and family all day.

Snowing now. Suppose to be 10 degrees tomorrow morning. :kicksrock:
Treadmill season?
I think I might snow run this morning after I finish this second cup of coffee. I'll go to the gym tomorrow for the first time since this spring. Once it starts becoming routine again, I usually don't mind the treadmill unlike a lot of our fellow posters. There is something to be said for treating yourself like a lab rat with predetermined paces without excuses for wind, hills, precipitation and temperature. I guess it would probably be good for me to lift weights and stuff too.

Snowing now. Suppose to be 10 degrees tomorrow morning. :kicksrock:
Yeah ...total slopfest out there. I wanted to push a long tempo run, but the conditions were awful. 33 degrees and an ongoing wet snowfall. I drove out to the Prairie Path (Elmhurst) and got in 6 miles, but much of it was effectively running in an inch of ice cold water. Good leg work, lifting the soaked shoes through that stuff.

When the snow stops later this afternoon, the temp is supposed to fall, so it'll all freeze up for a day or two. Winter training!!!

68 degrees here today but tomorrow will be high 20s to 40s.

Took my dog for two runs thus week, he does alright but will need to learn consistency. He'll get there. Thinking back to the two dogs we had before kids and how I would take them off the leash, run 20 miles with them and they'd stay right with me throughout. Don't know if Murphy will get there but he has potential. My usual route is much more traveled, so he'll stay on the leash here.

Pretty sure my foot issue is tendon. It wasn't too bad today but I could feel it starting to strain. How does someone strengthen their foot tendons?

FUBAR said:

Took my dog for two runs thus week, he does alright but will need to learn consistency. He'll get there. Thinking back to the two dogs we had before kids and how I would take them off the leash, run 20 miles with them and they'd stay right with me throughout. Don't know if Murphy will get there but he has potential. My usual route is much more traveled, so he'll stay on the leash here.

Pretty sure my foot issue is tendon. It wasn't too bad today but I could feel it starting to strain. How does someone strengthen their foot tendons?
trail running, I probably should have been out weeks after a fall in April but since I have such strong feet I was able to get back out there 9 days later. I think that foot strength comes from all the trail running.

FUBAR said:

trail running, I probably should have been out weeks after a fall in April but since I have such strong feet I was able to get back out there 9 days later. I think that foot strength comes from all the trail running.
Along that line, actually, I believe there's benefit from just balancing on one foot in a sort of superman pose. The tendons/muscles in the foot/ankle work really hard to maintain that balance ...you can feel things twitching around, and I think that's helpful.

This is from the results site. Obviously something with the timing system if off with that halfway split.

Location Net Time Clock Time Time of Day Pace Pace Between START 00:00 0:25 7:15:28 10K 42:14 42:38 7:57:41 6:47 /mi 19:23 /mi Halfway Split 2:55:59 2:56:23 10:11:26 13:25 /mi 30K 2:07:38 2:08:02 9:23:05 6:50 /mi 6:47 /mi Finish 2:59:08 2:59:33 10:14:36 6:49 /mi

This is from the results site. Obviously something with the timing system if off with that halfway split.

Location Net Time Clock Time Time of Day Pace Pace Between START 00:00 0:25 7:15:28 10K 42:14 42:38 7:57:41 6:47 /mi 19:23 /mi Halfway Split 2:55:59 2:56:23 10:11:26 13:25 /mi 30K 2:07:38 2:08:02 9:23:05 6:50 /mi 6:47 /mi Finish 2:59:08 2:59:33 10:14:36 6:49 /mi
Another sub-3 for the group? Awesome! Lotta great races going on this fall. Way to go, PBM!!!

Damn you dudes are fast around here. Congrats pbm!

Me? I'm slow as hell. I'm going to be up in Oregon for Thanksgiving and signed up for a road 10K near my parents house on Thursday. So I went out today during my daughter's lacrosse clinic to try out a little "quicker" running on the road just to get an idea of what pace I might be able to expect on Thursday. Two miles of warmup then I moved into what I would consider a "tempo" effort where my breathing is hard but controlled - and I ran two miles in the 8:50s. A little slower even that I expected, but I figure that gives me a starting point for how to go out in the race. If that feels right then I'll stay there for the first 4-5 miles, then try to finish strong. Sound right? I really have no idea how to pace these short things.

With my next goal race either a 100K in May or 100M in June (the States lottery is next Saturday, so I'll know which then), I think I'm going to do a little "reverse periodization" and do basically a half-marathon training plan for the next 8 weeks or so to try and build up a little speed and strength. Higdon Advanced seem like a good one? Any others that you all like? I'll have the 10K results from Thursday to plug into VDOT to give me the paces to use, and I'll probably start wearing my HRM again so that I can correlate those paces to HR so as I transition back the trails and get more ultra-specific again but keep a weekly workout in there.

SFBayDuck said:

Me? I'm slow as hell. I'm going to be up in Oregon for Thanksgiving and signed up for a road 10K near my parents house on Thursday. So I went out today during my daughter's lacrosse clinic to try out a little "quicker" running on the road just to get an idea of what pace I might be able to expect on Thursday. Two miles of warmup then I moved into what I would consider a "tempo" effort where my breathing is hard but controlled - and I ran two miles in the 8:50s. A little slower even that I expected, but I figure that gives me a starting point for how to go out in the race. If that feels right then I'll stay there for the first 4-5 miles, then try to finish strong. Sound right? I really have no idea how to pace these short things.

With my next goal race either a 100K in May or 100M in June (the States lottery is next Saturday, so I'll know which then), I think I'm going to do a little "reverse periodization" and do basically a half-marathon training plan for the next 8 weeks or so to try and build up a little speed and strength. Higdon Advanced seem like a good one? Any others that you all like? I'll have the 10K results from Thursday to plug into VDOT to give me the paces to use, and I'll probably start wearing my HRM again so that I can correlate those paces to HR so as I transition back the trails and get more ultra-specific again but keep a weekly workout in there.
:thumbup: I'm looking forward to seeing where this takes you! Any way you could fit in closer to 12 weeks than 8 and have a more complete cycle? Regarding that Higdon plan, I don't know how beneficial those 3 mile runs will be for you since you already have such a solid endurance base. Also, I'm not a fan of the Higdon tempo runs since you don't hold the effort for long. I prefer the longer, more steady tempos described by McMillan or Pfitzinger.

Thanks guys, just got back after consuming many beers. HR was much higher than expected after the first few miles, 167 when I expected to see 155. Pretty much followed the 3 hr pace band and picked it up over the last six miles.
Congrats! Great to see all that hard work pay off. Sounds like you ran a smart race. I can't wait read the full race report!

SFBayDuck said:

:thumbup: I'm looking forward to seeing where this takes you! Any way you could fit in closer to 12 weeks than 8 and have a more complete cycle? Regarding that Higdon plan, I don't know how beneficial those 3 mile runs will be for you since you already have such a solid endurance base. Also, I'm not a fan of the Higdon tempo runs since you don't hold the effort for long. I prefer the longer, more steady tempos described by McMillan or Pfitzinger.
Thanks Juxt, I appreciate any and all input from you fellas that have used a variety of these training programs. I agree that 3 mile runs aren't going to do me much good so I'll just keep doing my normal 5-8 mile trail runs on "easy days", as those shouldn't interfere with the workouts. I also will bump up the weekend long runs a little, but probably no more than 15 miles for the next couple of months so those don't impact the workouts either, as they'll just be such a new training stress for me. In any case, I'll check out McMillan and Pfitz plans as well, thanks.

As for the time I can dedicate to this it depends on which race I end up in. If I get into States I have until the end of June, so 12 weeks would take me to mid-February and still leave me 18 weeks until the race - probably about right but even then I think I'd be more comfortable with 20 weeks of ultra training going into my #1 A race of a lifetime that I may never get another shot at. But if I don't and I'm doing the 100K on May 7th then 12 weeks would only leave me 11 weeks until race day, and I don't think I'd feel comfortable with fewer than about 15 weeks of really focused ultra training going into a 100K with over 14,000' of elevation gain.

SFBayDuck said:

You may be slow, but I'm more envious of your runs and races than anyone else (other than Steve, but let's face it, he's on a different planet)

SFBayDuck said:

Duck: A thought - You're used to the unevenness of trail running. HR elevates on uphills, you stabilize, and things get easier on the downhills. No steady pacing, really. One option for the 10K is to deliberately create some of that unevenness rather than trying to play the steady-pace, road race game. A way to do this would be to use each turn as an acceleration point ...push the pace to zip around the turns, then let your pace fall back to something sustainable over the next 100-150 yards. The effect would be that you'd be focused more on the course than the miles ...not unlike a trail race. :shrug: Just a random thought.

Fall Classic 2015

I popped my half marathon cherry at this race last year and it did not go well - 1:43. This race has been circled on my calendar since, which has added to my recent hamstring frustrations as this time last month I thought I was headed towards a sub 90. I finally saw a sports doc Friday who put my mind at ease. I have multiple adhesions in one leg and one signficant adhesion in the other, but while he is not sure how I've been running through these problems he said it will be a pain tolerance issue only after one session. He thinks I need at least two more before they're back to normal, but that's another story.

Anyway, today. Thankfully, Cleveland is a big city. I got a few inches of snow over night, it was very windy, and it was still coming down. The race is on the other side of town where it was sunny with very little wind and no snow on the ground. Spirits were up on the drive in, but I was running a bit late...and then I saw the line for the bathroom. Oops. Well, it's ten minutes to the gun and there's no way I can get through this line...so, plan b. It was cold and those I knew coming to watch weren't coming til either halfway or the end, so I wore these old sweat pants that I planned to dump at the start line and if I couldn't find them afterwards - oh well. Instead, they were used as tp. I jogged out of the woods after I took care of business and slid into line about five-seven rows back literally ten seconds before the gun. Never been more proud of myself.

The actual race, fairly uneventful, which is a good thing. It's an out and back pancake flat course in a valley in a metro park that's repeated. I wanted to go out close to 7 minute pace, but between my hamstrings and the cold temps it took me a while to get loose so sub 90 quickly became a long shot as I danced around 7:15 pace. To be fair, it was probably never in the cards though. After getting loose I then got too warm towards the beginning of mile 4, but I knew I had someone at the halfway point to unload clothes so I pressed on, maintaining the same 7:15 pace. I began to disrobe at the mile 6 mark and softball tossed a ball of cotton about two minutes later - winter hat, long sleeve shirt, short sleeve shirt, gloves - leaving me in just a sleeveless, shorts, and a head band (keep my ears partially covered). The next split ended up being my fastest one until the last one, so I really needed the wardrobe change. I thought I was too far off pace to chase sub 90, so I kept the more vigorous pace for a bit just to see but things started getting twingy in my legs during mile 9 so I mailed in the dream and settled into a pr pace instead. The leg problems settled down at the second turnaround, so I steadily picked up the pace and began picking people off throughout the last three miles, the last one being 6:53. It sure was nice finishing one of these not in agonizing pain but rather coming in strong and with a kick!

Finishing time - 1:34:03, 37th of 1,000, 5th in age group, and a pr by almost four minutes. Going out like Costanza and finishing on a high note this racing season. That's a wrap!

I had my Beerd 5K run this morning. I knew the course well and I felt like it was going to short. Ended up only being 2.7 miles. I was on pace for a PR 5K and I was going to run out the last .4 miles to get tot he 5K so it would count, but they had free beer after the race, so I didn't :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/437386457

Very fun race with lots of people in costumes and half the women wore fake beards (at the start)

http://beerdrun.com/

I will definitely do this race next year.

Fall Classic 2015

I popped my half marathon cherry at this race last year and it did not go well - 1:43. This race has been circled on my calendar since, which has added to my recent hamstring frustrations as this time last month I thought I was headed towards a sub 90. I finally saw a sports doc Friday who put my mind at ease. I have multiple adhesions in one leg and one signficant adhesion in the other, but while he is not sure how I've been running through these problems he said it will be a pain tolerance issue only after one session. He thinks I need at least two more before they're back to normal, but that's another story.
What is an adhesion?

end of the year for the freshman....nike (nxn) cross regionals...18:42 in the open race...

only one kid from the team made the championship race....which the winner was 14.41...WOW

he had a really good year i think...

5k best was 18:07....

dealt with some bronchitis issues and really didn't know how to race in a big starting pack...

winter training starts on the 30th for the track season and then a full summer of camps....

just glad he is excited to be running and competing...

pbm - you're a beast! Yesterday's conditions were not easy at times. :excited:

MAC - Awesome step forward with a big PR! Finishing strong is a great sign of your fitness coming together.

Shawn - Congrats on another great race! Watching your growth this year has been awesome!

ydoc - Congrats to your son! A freshman running in the low 18s is impressive.

----------------------

The plan with pbm yesterday went to crap when we ran into security that was much further out from the race (they apparently widened the security zones) and it took forever to get through. pbm patiently waited as long as he could, but we never found each other pre-race. I felt bad and was worried I caused him some unnecessary stress, but he was obviously fine.

Since I had lost my purpose (pacing him was my only real motivation), I wasn't sure what I was going to do. So I just ran. In the chaos of running around looking for pbm I realized I didn't warm-up at all, didn't do any stretches, etc. I decided to start out nice and easy and just see what my body had. I really had no idea.

I was sluggish at first, running around 7:05. Then things loosened up really well. I was fairly comfortably running 6:45ish for a while. Around mile 5 I thought, hmmmm I have a shot at running a solid time. Just keep the HR under 180 and enjoy the unexpected good day. No sense in trying to hammer it.

I crossed the 10K mat and saw the clock - dang I'm rolling pretty well here (was a mid 41 - considering I started about 30sec behind the gun). I'm still holding the 6:45 pretty easily and motivation is building. I get into race mode a bit, looking at targets to pick off. We got into Drexel University around mile 7 and I noticed my right hamstring didn't feel right. It didn't hurt, but felt weird. We were into some hills here, but it started to tighten up pretty quickly. I backed it off expecting it to loosen up. Then mile 8 we hit the first real set of hills and it was really tight.

I backed it off some more, but by the time we hit the biggest climb at 9.25, my left hamstring tightened up. Oh well, time to shut it down. I backed it way off, which normally would have me really disappointed, but I was actually pretty happy with myself. I was running much better than I was expecting - its no surprise my legs weren't ready for that speed for a prolonged time. I was thrilled my cardio was still very good. My HR stabilized quickly after I backed it off - a great sign.

Ended up just cruising it in and finishing 1:33:43. Way off of my PR, but considering I've been a fat slug since September, I'm happy with the run.

We stayed around to watch pbm finish - it was fun trying to find him in the sea of runners while watching the 2:5x clock ticking away! He looked really strong coming into the finish; super excited for him! Glad we were able to catch up post-race. I felt bad about giving him the run around in the AM. Congrats again, dude!

end of the year for the freshman....nike (nxn) cross regionals...18:42 in the open race...

only one kid from the team made the championship race....which the winner was 14.41...WOW

he had a really good year i think...

5k best was 18:07....

dealt with some bronchitis issues and really didn't know how to race in a big starting pack...

winter training starts on the 30th for the track season and then a full summer of camps....

just glad he is excited to be running and competing...
Outstanding freshman season!! That PR should translate to a varsity scoring role for track in the spring I would think. Do you and he have events he'll target to race?

Fall Classic 2015

What is an adhesion?
High notes below, credit to this link - http://www.bochnerchiropractic.com/articles/2007/12/8/hamstring-injury-tight-strings-or-loose-strings-keeping-your.html.

I first got them during training last Fall. I took some time off then focused more on strength training and trails to try and beat them, but they came back with a vengeance last month.

painful "knots" - if not treated, they then can lead to shortening of the muscle lengthwise- muscle tightness. With this tightness in place, the muscle will not lengthen properly or contract as strongly when exercised. This can eventually cause pain when enough fibers become involved. In this situation the location of the tightness is usually very high or low in the muscle, or the tendon itself can have the scar tissue. This muscle fiber tightening usually occurs either over the course of one workout or over days or weeks. Examples of immediate causes are a longer run than you are used to, or a faster speed session.

As noted above, the adhesions will cause tightness and pain, with the tightness leading to more pain and so on. If untreated, then with the decreased elasticity there is even less range of motion, and the uninjured fibers will have to work harder, causing them to tighten and form new adhesions. This makes the chronic injury more likely to keep occuring. Also, muscular adhesions in the related hip muscles (gluteals, piriformis) can refer pain to the hamstrings. This can cause a feeling of hamstring strain, when none is really present, or both the hamstrings and the hip muscles can have adhesions. Also, the sciatic nerve can be "caught up" in hamstring adhesions, or further up above in the hip muscles, and either problem can further tighten the hamstring or simulate the feeling of a strain.

In the chronic injury, the tightness must be treated by removing/reducing the adhesions in the muscle or where the muscle meets the tendon. Again, manual therapy will release the adhesions. The related muscles, such as the gluteals, piriformis, and hip flexors and also the adductors and calf muscles also should be checked. This will remove the adhesions as a pre-disposing factor. Also, the "referred hamstring pain" and sciatic nerve adhesion syndromes described above can be fixed by the active release technique.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Fall Classic 2015

What is an adhesion?
don't google-image search! :X (actually it''s pretty cool to look at, but if you're squemish be forewarned)

Users who are viewing this thread