What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Garrett Grayson - Colorado State (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
Impressed watching this guy - great pocket presence, strong arm, accurate, easy throwing motion. Biggest knocks I could see is that he's only 6-2, will trust his arm too much and make risky throws, and tends to lock onto to his first read.

Looks like a poor man's Roethlisberger (smaller, little less running ability).

Side note: WR Rashard "Hollywood" Higgins should be one of the top WR's in the 2016 draft. Looks much faster than his listed 4.53 40.

Watched some more of Grayson and less impressed than I was. Seems to have benefited greatly from Higgins (your 2016 rookie draft 1.1, IMO), similar to how Mettenberger did with Beckham.

I think the "non-elite" QBs are incredibly important to get a feel for in deep 2QB/Superflex leagues (where the QB position actually has elevated value and the benches are deep enough to warrant stashing long-term projects). Nabbing a starting QB in the later rounds of a rookie draft can reap huge value benefits, and getting one as an UDFA is like picking up free gold off the street.

Carr was a guy whose stock was depressed by public opinion that represented good draft value last year as a result, and Mettenberger was a great UDFA target (talent generally regarded to be above NFL draft slot, good arm, pro-style experience, terrible QB(s) ahead of him on the depth chart).

With the consensus opinion being that there are only 2 QBs worth anything in this year's draft, I think it's going to be a great year to grab a value play in the late rounds or after the draft if anyone can find a nugget out there to be mined.

I hope this thread garners a few other opinions, because he's one of a handful of guys that I think might fit into that category this year.

The value guy this year is Petty. He needs a little bit of development like Mariota because of the offense he played but I think he can be a NFL QB.

I have a draft where we have Flex QB in a 16 team league that scored 6 per TD.

We do our 1st round before the NFL draft. I like these QB's and my team could use a developmental guy. But will they drop due to circumstances. Garropollo went 2.11 last year and Mettenberger went 3.4. I have 2 1st round picks including the 1.14 but dont pick till the 2.16 after this. Also IDP league so some of them will go between.

I got the 1st 7 picks being in no particular order Winston, Cooper, White, Gurley, Parker, Gordon, Mariota

Next 5 will probably be Strong, Maxx W, Perriman, Funchess(as a TE) and Green-Beckhum

Leaving a few guys out there for the next picks.

Does the QB drop that far with them needing seasoning and are they worth taking in the 1st round with guys like Agholor, Abdullah, Walford(TE premium league that get 1 per 10 while others get .5 per 10) or do you take a Bryce Petty. Or how about Hundley who has good chance to be available also. Or do you got the WR and hope the QB's drop because not immediate impact

Tough decision I have been dwelling on for a while.

I posted this in the Pro Day thread.

He killed it in at his Pro Day FWIW but the thing that caught my eye was the mention that he 'could be' the third QB taken in the draft.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/724852-2015-nfl-scouting-combine-pro-days-thread/page-9

Colorado State Ram QB Garrett Grayson isn't seen as a first round pick and may not even be the third QB taken in the draft but he had a pretty good Pro Day and he's got the size and a good arm with some teams scheduling him for private workouts.

================

RSENetwork @RSENetwork · Mar 23

CSU QB Garrett Grayson has private workouts scheduled with San Diego, St. Louis, Cleveland and Miami. #RSEN

=================

RSENetwork retweeted

Donovan James @DonJamesSports · Mar 23
Grayson's pro day lived up to the hype. It was an A+. Best pro day by any QB so far and not even close including his combine interviews...
=================

RSENetwork @RSENetwork · Mar 23

Garrett Grayson was listed at 6'2 1/2 214 lbs. Posted a 34" inch vertical, ran uo 4.59 40 yd and a 10-1" broad jumpgraysonproday

=================

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · Mar 23

Garrett Grayson 70-of-74 in workout -- 1 drop -- threw a variety of 3-, 5- and 7-step drops -- mostly five -- with a few rollouts.

I didn't know his Pro Day went that well. He's been my 3rd rated WB for a long time now, though. I like him but he's a distant 3rd to Winston/Mariota. I'd have a hard time drafting him in the 2nd but he will probably go there.

I think he's got the right look to him as a development player. Put him in the right situation - whether it's offense or coaches - where he could spend a 2-3 years refining his game. He could be a solid #2 FF QB.

Grayson’s passing numbers dropped significantly last year when targeting receivers not named Higgins. When targeting Higgins, Grayson had a 16-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a Total QBR of 96. Throwing to all others, Grayson had a 16-6 ratio and an 83 Total QBR.

cstu said:
The value guy this year is Petty. He needs a little bit of development like Mariota because of the offense he played but I think he can be a NFL QB.
I think my vote would go for Brandon Bridge. Petty, Grayson, Hundley, Mannion, they all seem years away to me. Hundley might have a higher upside than a guy like Bridge but Bridge may not even get drafted while some people think there's a chance Hundley is a second day pick. Grayson seems like a strong choice... if you really need a 3rd QB this year and are hoping to develop a backup QB later in his career. I assume SD's interest means Sorenson/Clemens need some competition.

Really wish SD had a 7th round pick to stick Bridge on the practice squad for two years. If Bridge went to PHI look out for the hype train, he could be effective a whole lot earlier in that offense than anywhere else.

Grayson’s passing numbers dropped significantly last year when targeting receivers not named Higgins. When targeting Higgins, Grayson had a 16-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a Total QBR of 96. Throwing to all others, Grayson had a 16-6 ratio and an 83 Total QBR.
Is that uncommon when you're talking about stud versus other WRs?

Is that uncommon when you're talking about stud versus other WRs?
I think it's tough to tell when a QB is drafted whether he made the WR's better or the WR's made him better.

It does help explain after the fact why a QB was able to put up good stats in college but was an outright bust in the NFL. For example, Josh Freeman looked much better his sophomore year than his junior year and all he had was a NFL 2nd round WR to throw to - turns out that guy was Jordy Nelson.

In hindsight, it wasn't Manziel who made Mike Evans, it was Evans who made Manziel.

ETA: This is making me more worried about Winston, whose numbers took a major hit after he lost Benjamin and was throwing to potential 2nd round pick Rashad Greene.

Last edited by a moderator:
From Yesterday's Denver Post:

-------------------

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27896712/when-it-comes-nfl-pro-potential-garrett-grayson-has-it-covered?source=rss

When it comes to NFL pro potential, Garrett Grayson has it coveredBy Troy E. Renck
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/11/2015 10:20:38 PM MDT

In a hotel room in Indianapolis, sandwiched between coaches and executives, Garrett Grayson's dream flowed from a marker onto a grease board.

He listened to NFL assistant coaches discuss five plays, five protections and five formations at the league's annual scouting combine. The league's version of speed dating had begun with the team trying to microwave its relationship with Grayson. Then came the surprise — and the reason the former Colorado State star has stepped from the shadows into the spotlight since his college career ended nearly four months ago.

Ten minutes after the football concepts were introduced, a coach asked Grayson to write down everything he remembered.

His lifelong ambition, which began when his father lectured him about the importance of winning after a T-ball game, hinged on recollection.

Grayson grabbed a pen, and wrote football poetry.

"I was comfortable," the quarterback said last week. "A lot of the formations is the same stuff we ran at CSU. It's a little different verbiage, but not much.

A formation they called 'trio right' was our 'train right.' "

Since his college career ended, Grayson has excelled in formal interviews with the Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Rams. He nailed exams at the scouting combine and in private sessions last month with the San Diego Chargers and Miami Dolphins. He continues to create buzz in scouting circles, ranked by some as the third-best quarterback available in the April 30-May 2 draft, behind Florida State's Jameis Winston and Oregon's Marcus Mariota.

"I think it's either Grayson or (Baylor's) Bryce Petty after those two," said NFL draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN. "Grayson can come in right away and help a team. I think he's a second-rounder."

In his mind, Grayson had been preparing for this moment since he fizzled in a loss to Tulsa during the second game of his junior season.

It was then, in his darkest moments, that he was filled with doubt. He wasn't thinking about the NFL but heading to the bench.

Grayson, who has met with Broncos scouts, always had been comfortable improvising, trusting his athletic ability. He ran a spread offense in high school as a highly regarded dual-threat quarterback. He wasn't in high school anymore.

Grayson had to learn to watch film the right way.

"He had to make an adjustment," said former CSU offensive coordinator Dave Baldwin, who now runs Oregon State's offense. "But I believe the fact that he knew we weren't going to pull him helped. He felt that it was his football team.

"I told him, 'You are going to be the guy. Let's get this done.' "

Playing well against Alabama

In study sessions with then-CSU head coach Jim McElwain and Baldwin, Grayson absorbed details and accepted a sobering truth. Offense are built to function in bites, not mouth-gorging chunks. Or, as Baldwin explained, "Checkdowns equal first downs equal touchdowns."

Two weeks later, at Alabama, Grayson cemented his position. In a 31-6 loss to college football's top-ranked team, he completed 24-of-38 passes for 228 yards. No touchdowns, but no turnovers.

Grayson's ascension from an unsure quarterback to a legitimate NFL prospect began that day in Tuscaloosa, Ala. While Grayson didn't lead the Rams to a win, the game began to slow down for him.

"Before that I was trying to hit the home run instead of just taking what the defense was giving me. I finally knew the meaning behind every play. Some were designed for 2 yards, some for 15," Grayson said. "Going against one of the best defenses over the last 10 years and putting up decent numbers, my confidence took off from that."

At last he was beginning to realize the promise he showed in high school. He wanted to go to Tennessee, having grown up with posters of Peyton Manning in his room at his home in Vancouver, Wash. But Lane Kiffin, Tennessee's coach at the time, showed little interest. Grayson figured he would sign with Louisville, but then-Cardinals coach Steve Kragthorpe didn't want three quarterbacks in one recruiting class. So he called then-CSU coach Steve Fair- child, and Grayson became a Ram.

If Fairchild planted seeds, McElwain allowed Grayson to blossom. Baldwin witnessed the growth, pleased that Grayson trusted what his coaches were telling him.

"We preached to him that this is a pro-style offense. That it is going to prepare you for the next level," Baldwin said. "But you have to learn the coverages. You have to go through your progressions."

By Grayson's senior season, he checked out of plays, and CSU coaches gave him the freedom to take shots down the field. If the Alabama game restored his faith, it was a visit to Manning's passing academy in Louisiana last summer that fueled his NFL dream. He soaked up everything Manning said and departed the camp mesmerized by the Denver star's attention to detail.

And something else happened. Grayson felt he belonged.

"I performed against the best of the best, and I didn't think there was any difference," he said.

"He can run a pro offense"

Grayson guided CSU to a 10-win season last year. He displayed pocket presence, and made wise decisions that masked average arm strength. Some of his most difficult moments explain why he could play in the NFL. Losses "disgust him," the exact words his father Brad drilled into him after seeing Garrett accept defeat after a T-ball game.

"Garrett is a great leader," said offensive tackle Tyler Sambrailo, an NFL prospect who starred at CSU with Grayson. "Something you don't see as a fan is how he is in the locker room, in the weight room. He's always a guy motivating, always doing what he's supposed to do to help us win. You can't replace that."

Baldwin knows what translates in the NFL. Brian Hoyer and Drew Stanton, two of his former pupils, have carved out pro careers through intelligence and coachability, something "Garrett definitely can do."

Grayson, who will fly Friday to visit another NFL team, hears talk of his rising draft stock but tries to ignore it. It's all noise until his name is called.

It's a certainty Grayson will be drafted. The film, after all, doesn't lie.

"When I talk to NFL scouts, I tell them to let him show what he knows. He can run a pro offense, and I also tell them to put on the film," Baldwin said. "I tell them to watch the Boston College game, when he hurt his shoulder, hobbled to the line of scrimmage and wouldn't come out. Or watch when we went down to San Jose State and he pulled his hamstring and had a great day. His toughness is what you want. And his knowledge of defenses is definitely what you should want."

Rotoworld:

Garrett Grayson - QB - Rams

Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson "may be incapable of handling a complex offense at the next level but if asked to play in a run-oriented system as a pocket passer, Grayson is starting material," notes TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

"Vertical passer with a next-level arm," reads Pauline's scouting report. "Possesses a quick release, immediately gets the ball out of his hand and can make all the throws. Poised in the pocket, has good size and withstands the rush. Delivers the ball to check-down receivers, puts touch on throws when necessary and has a terrific sense of knowing where receivers are." As for weaknesses, Grayson is poor when moved off his spot, with his accuracy and anticipation suffering. He's not terribly mobile and must work on sensing the blindside rush if he wants to stay upright at the next level.

Source: JetsInsider.com

Apr 16 - 9:09 PM

Rotoworld:

The Browns put Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson through a private workout
Mary Kay Cabot suggests the Browns could even use a second or third round selection on Grayson. That would be shocking, but so many teams need a quarterback that one or multiple will be selected before they should. Grayson has worked through progressions in the pocket while coached by Jim McElwain.

Source: Cleveland.com
Apr 17 - 12:40 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan believes Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson "may go higher than most expect."
"While Bryce Petty is the favorite to be the 3rd QB picked, Garrett Grayson may go higher than most expect," Caplan tweeted. The CSU prospect has been ranked anywhere from the third, fourth or fifth quarterback in the class by draft evaluators. The 6-foot-2 1/2, 214-pound Grayson has showed that he can be successful from the pocket and can be productive throwing from the shotgun. Grayson posted 7,975 yards and a 55/18 TD/INT ratio across 27 starts for the Rams over the past two years.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
Apr 17 - 2:33 PM

Rotoworld:

Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson is an underrated prospect who "ranks as one of the more pro-ready passers in this year's relatively weak class," writes CBS Sports' Rob Rang.
"Athletic and accurate with a strong enough arm to make every throw in the pro-style offense he ran in new Florida head coach Jim McElwain's pro-style scheme at Colorado State," Rang wrote. "Grayson struggles when pressured and therefore I wouldn't invest more than a mid-third-round pick on him but he -- not Baylor's Bryce Petty or Oregon State's Sean Mannion -- was the most impressive quarterback at the Senior Bowl." Enough steam is behind Grayson that it at least appears on the surface as though he's hopped UCLA's Brett Hundley to enter a two-man race with Petty to become the No. 3 QB picked. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan recently wrote that Grayson "may go higher than most expect."

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 19 - 4:24 PM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora believes Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson "will be high in that second wave of quarterbacks taken after the gulf between Winston/Mariota and the rest of the passers subsides."
"Question is, does that divide last all the way until Saturday and the start of the fourth round?" he wrote. The 6-foot-2 1/2, 214-pound Grayson can be successful from the pocket and the shotgun, though he struggles when forced off his spot. Grayson put up 7,975 yards and a 55/18 TD/INT ratio across 27 starts for the Rams over the past two years.

Apr 19 - 7:00 PM

Rotoworld:

Frank Cooney of NFLDraftScout.com believes Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson "improved remarkably year over year."

"Grayson wanted to play in the NFL since he was five years old and, despite a lack of impressive athletic ability and size he somehow made it here to the brink of that dream," Cooney wrote. "Go ahead, you tell Grayson he is not good enough. He's heard it all before." Over the past two years, Grayson posted 7,975 yards and a 55/18 TD/INT ratio. "We were pro style, we became a little bit more spread my senior year," Grayson said. "That was partly personnel, partly coach Baldwin getting to install his offense a little bit more. But we were basically as much pro style as you could get my sophomore, junior years and as I said, transitioned a little more spread my senior year." Grayson could go anywhere from Round 2 to Round 4.

Apr 25 - 4:20 PM

Rotoworld:

Frank Cooney of NFLDraftScout.com believes Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson "improved remarkably year over year."

"Grayson wanted to play in the NFL since he was five years old and, despite a lack of impressive athletic ability and size he somehow made it here to the brink of that dream," Cooney wrote. "Go ahead, you tell Grayson he is not good enough. He's heard it all before." Over the past two years, Grayson posted 7,975 yards and a 55/18 TD/INT ratio. "We were pro style, we became a little bit more spread my senior year," Grayson said. "That was partly personnel, partly coach Baldwin getting to install his offense a little bit more. But we were basically as much pro style as you could get my sophomore, junior years and as I said, transitioned a little more spread my senior year." Grayson could go anywhere from Round 2 to Round 4.

Apr 25 - 4:20 PM
Funny how his growth coincided with the arrival of Rashad Higgins.

Rotoworld:

An anonymous NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Colorado State QB Garrett Grayson "at best ... becomes a guy like Jon Kitna or (Ryan) Fitzpatrick" and clarified "that's not a negative."

"Good processor of the game," he said. "Got a pretty quick mind. Average physical characteristics. I see him better than Matt Flynn." Grayson has broken his collarbone three times, an area to keep an eye on. "Pocket guy," another scout said. "Little better athlete than you think. He can at least escape the rush and get the ball off under duress." A third scout called him a "career backup probably."

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Apr 28 - 8:23 PM

i like him a lot. he's got a live arm, smart and heady player. if they can fix his ball security/pocket awareness and mechanics on deep throws then he's got a future as the heir apparent. brees isn't going anywhere. grayson can learn behind a surefire HOF qb.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Somebody post me a note of encouragement about what the Saints just did.

Thanks.
They got the 3rd best QB in this draft. Does that makes better?

This is the earliest the Saints have taken a quarterback since selecting Archie Manning No. 2 overall in 1971.

That is amazing.

That stat was oft repeated on tv but it's inaccurate, the Saints took Dave Wilson, QB, from Illinois, in the 1st round of the 1981 Supplemental Draft, which IIRC would have been the Saints 1st round pick of the 1982 draft. The Saints traded Archie not long after. Pretty much they botched 85% of his career. The Saints would have picked 3rd overall in the 1st round in 1982.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
That stat was oft repeated on tv but it's inaccurate, the Saints took Dave Wilson, QB, from Illinois, in the 1st round of the 1981 Supplemental Draft, which IIRC would have been the Saints 1st round pick of the 1982 draft. The Saints traded Archie not long after. Pretty much they botched 85% of his career.

The Saints would have picked 3rd overall in the 1st round in 1982.
Must have been awful watching McMahon win the Super Bowl.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
That stat was oft repeated on tv but it's inaccurate, the Saints took Dave Wilson, QB, from Illinois, in the 1st round of the 1981 Supplemental Draft, which IIRC would have been the Saints 1st round pick of the 1982 draft. The Saints traded Archie not long after. Pretty much they botched 85% of his career.

The Saints would have picked 3rd overall in the 1st round in 1982.
Must have been awful watching McMahon win the Super Bowl.
Right, in NO no less. - But that was pretty much almost every Saints draft until Reggie Bush with a few exceptions. The road of franchise history is littered with busts. The very first pick in Saints history was the 1967 draft's No. 1 overall pick which turned into HOFer Bubba Smith, aside from a backup caliber QB the Saints got the Colts' 1st round pick at the end of the draft which was used on a FB who never played a down on offense. Dave Wilson was a bust too.

[SIZE=12pt]New Orleans Saints Head Coach Sean Payton[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Friday, May 1, 2015[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Opening Statement: [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]“Obviously it was a busy night for us tonight. There were some need fits,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]… So that took place and the two players obviously, the third round, Garrett Grayson the quarterback. Going through this process,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I’ve said this before, does the fit time out where there is a player you have evaluated well and[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]does it fit with a grade. We worked him out late last week and kind of went under the radar. We[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]were kind of hoping it would. I’d worked out a few other players. We kind of looked at the[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]class, certainly there was a couple of guys at the front of the class and then what happens is you[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]are waiting and you don’t know if there is going to be a run on guys or you are kind of waiting,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]in our case for that first quarterback to go off the board. So for us there wasn’t more than one,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]this was the player if he was available, and if not we probably would have went without drafting[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]a quarterback. But his workout was great. Again, we like his fit, his makeup. He is extremely[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]athletic. We actually think he has got a good stature and from guys that I have worked out over[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]the years, 6’2 ½”, 215 pounds, real good quick release, good decision maker so that’s exciting[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]for us. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Did you say some of the other quarterback workouts were throwing people off?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“No, we would never go that, no, honestly they were just to evaluate. Look, I had a good visit[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]with Bryce Petty and worked him out. I like him a lot as a prospect. So no, there is too much[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]going on to spend time flying somewhere, or spending, it is really just trying to get to know the[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]talent group of that class. So with Garrett (Grayson) there is some film, obviously a lot of film to[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]study, Senior Bowl, workout at the Combine and then last week the four of us flew there. I think[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]it was, the power went out here, Monday morning. We had just gotten out on a flight before that[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]storm hit and I remember flying back and it just cleared so our timing from a flight standpoint[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]worked out, but it was that Monday that we were out there in Fort Collins and worked him out.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Were there any discussion with Drew Brees prior to the draft?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“No, no. I think every year we are just constantly evaluating the players at positions. I think it[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]would be different if all of a sudden we are taking a quarterback in the first round and we had a[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]different vision, but in our case it is pretty clear, we love our starter. It gives the young players[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]behind him a chance to mature and develop. Look, nothing is given to any of these guys, you guys have been here long enough to see us operate as a staff. Garrett (Grayson) is going to have[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]to come in and compete with Ryan (Griffin). He is going to have to compete with Luke[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](McCown), but no.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Why take a quarterback now?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“It was only the right time because, we’ve said a year ago with a grade on a quarterback hoping[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]it maybe might fall and it didn’t. He was taken earlier. Two years ago, maybe three years ago,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](Mike) Glennon was a guy we had a real good grade on. The answer to the question would be[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]why now at the Sam linebacker? Why now at the offensive tackle position? You’re really trying[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]to look closely at the draft and how you have these players graded. We really liked this player.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Would you have made this pick if you had the standard picks?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“It gives you more flexibility, to answer your question. We graded him as a late second, and[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]forget applying the grade, you’re trying to manage the draft that way but we really came back[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]from the workout like this is a guy that we’d like to have and would like to see him compete. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Obviously when you have more than your standard allotment of picks, there is flexibility.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]What did you like about his workout? He said it was probably his worst workout.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“He is accurate. It was good. It was really good. That is good news. A lot goes into that[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]position, the makeup, presence, decision making. Pete Carmichael, Mike Neu, those guys spent[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]a ton of time, our scouts, on looking on film. It is one thing to look at a highlight tape but to[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]really go back and look at the season, a tedious look at last season and then go see the player in[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]person, work them out. A lot goes into a decision like that, and the things we are looking for, he[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]appears to have that. I am anxious to see him come in and compete. And I mentioned this[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]earlier, it will be, first off, the work ethic of the guys ahead of him, the way they train, the way[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]they study, all of those things will be different from a college player coming in specifically with[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]that group.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Did you say some of the other quarterback workouts were throwing people off?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“No, we would never go that, no, honestly they were just to evaluate. Look, I had a good visit[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]with Bryce Petty and worked him out. I like him a lot as a prospect. So no, there is too much[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]going on to spend time flying somewhere, or spending, it is really just trying to get to know the[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]talent group of that class. So with Garrett (Grayson) there is some film, obviously a lot of film to[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]study, Senior Bowl, workout at the Combine and then last week the four of us flew there. I think[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]it was, the power went out here, Monday morning. We had just gotten out on a flight before that[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]storm hit and I remember flying back and it just cleared so our timing from a flight standpoint[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]worked out, but it was that Monday that we were out there in Fort Collins and worked him out.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]You mentioned trying to be under the radar with Garrett Grayson’s workout. Did you plan[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]it late in the process for that reason?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“No. Don’t give me that much credit. The storm came at the right time. When you go out in the[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]morning, there’s a picture with the Starbucks lady, and then we are having lunch at the Subway[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]place, and it’s not only out there, but people have timelines if they really look at it with those[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]people tweeting those pictures. It was never about that. We will have people that will look[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]closely at the various teams, because if you look at the news outlets, which we do, you can keep[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]track of every team. Here is Garrett Grayson; we know he’s worked out for Cleveland, we know[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]he’s worked out for St. Louis, we know his private workouts, and all of that information literally[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]sits in the room as you are looking at the picks ahead of you. It just so happened that there was[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]nothing on our workout with him, and that was not a stealth move on our part, it just happened to[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]not be out there. There was nothing written about it.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]What do you see in Garrett Grayson?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“That’s a guy I think caught Sean’s eye early on, as well as our scouts and our assistant coaches.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The more we dug into him in terms of the evaluation, the background, all of the things that you[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]look for, it just seemed like every box was checked in terms of a quarterback that you want to[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]help develop. We went and worked him out and had a great visit with him. He’s a good[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]candidate for us. I like the fact we have another guy in the mix with Luke (McCown) and Ryan[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](Griffin). We think a lot of both of those players as well. I think the time was right. The cost in[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]terms of the draft pick was right. It’s a great situation for any young quarterback to sit back and[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]learn from one of the best that’s ever played the game.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]The 2014 Mountain West Conference Offensive player of the Year comes to New Orleans following a standout[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Senior campaign where he completed 270-of-420 passes for 4,006 yards and 32 touchdowns. Grayson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]established or tied 16 school records over his career, including passing yards (9,190), completions (688) and[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]touchdowns (64).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]… Grayson is the first quarterback picked by New Orleans since[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]former Oregon State signal-caller Sean Canfield was picked in the seventh round in 2010. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]Grayson is only the second player taken by Colorado State in Saints history, joining[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]defensive end Brady Smith, who was also a third round draft pick in 1996. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]In 2014, Grayson was named the Mountain West offensive Player of the Year and first-team[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]All-Conference, as he started all 13 games, completing 64.3% of his passes (270-420) for[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]4,006 yards and 32 touchdowns, with seven interceptions. His passing yardage total set a new[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]CSU single-season record and ranked fourth among NCAA FBS leaders. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]As a junior in 2013, Grayson started all 14 games and completed 62.1% of his passes (297478)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]for 3,696 yards and 23 touchdowns, with 11 interceptions.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]**************************************************************************[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]17 GARRETT GRAYSON QB[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]HEIGHT: 6-2 WEIGHT: 220[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]COLLEGE: COLORADO STATE[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]DRAFTED: 3rd ROUND (75th OVERALL)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]BORN: 5/29/91[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]COLLEGE CAREER[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] – The 2014 Mountain West Conference Offensive player of the Year[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]comes to New Orleans following a standout season campaign where he completed 270-of-420[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]passes for 4,006 yards and 32 touchdowns. Grayson established or tied 16 school records over[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]his career, including passing yards (9,190), 300-yard passing games (11), completions (688) and[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]touchdowns (64). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]CAREER TRANSACTIONS –[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Selected by Saints in the third round (75[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]th[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] overall) of the 2015[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]NFL Draft.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2014[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]– Started all 13 games and completed 270-of-420 passes for 4,006 yards and 32[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]touchdowns, leading conference in passing yards and TDs…Named Mountain West Offensive[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Player of the Year and garnered First-Team All-Mountain West…TD pass total tied for 8[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] in NCAA FBS and his passer efficiency rating of 166.2 was ranked 5th in NCAA FBS and 1st among MWC QB…Passed for 434 yards at Boise State, Sept. 6 and 425 yards vs. UC Davis,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sept. 13, making his 859 yards, most-ever by a CSU passer in consecutive games…Last minute[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]TD pass on 4[/SIZE][SIZE=8pt]th[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]-and-11 against Boston College, Sept. 27, helping CSU win third straight against a[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Power 5 conference team…78% completion percentage on 290 yards passing and a TD helped[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]lead Rams to a win at San Jose State, Nov. 1…Threw for four more TDs against Hawaii, Nov. 8.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2013 [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]– Started 14 games…Completed 297-of-478 passes (62.1%) for 3,696 yards and 23[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]touchdowns and 11 interceptions, with his completion total ranked 14[/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]th on NCAA FBS and first[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] on CSU’s single-season list…Against Boise State, Nov. 2, threw for 397 yards…In win over[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Washington State in Gildan New Mexico Bowl, Dec. 21, threw for 369 yards and two TD passes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2012[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]– Played in only six games with five starts due to broken collarbone…Threw for 946 yards[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]and seven touchdowns…Played in his first Rocky Mountain Showdown vs. Colorado, Sept. 1[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]and threw for 173 yards and two TDs in turnover-free performance…At San Jose State, Sept. 15,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]completed 24 passes for 297 yards and two TDs and rushed for another score. 2011– Saw limited[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]action in four games as a freshman with three starts…Completed 43-of-77 passes with two[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]touchdowns and six interceptions and carried 47 times for 193 yards with one touchdown.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]PERSONAL:[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt] Communication studies major…Appeared three times as the first[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]-[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]team QB in[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]both his conference and region, at Heritage (Vancouver, Wash.) HS…Broke most of[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Washington's Class 4A state passing records, and had nation's highest completion percentage as[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]a senior (73.2%)...Topped 10,000 yards in total offense during career...Garnered consecutive[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Greater St. Helens League MVP in both 2008 and 2009...Three[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]-[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]year starter and letterwinner, also[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]played FS, CB and WR, and served two seasons as team captain...Guided Timberwolves to three[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]straight Class 4A playoff berths and a GSHL championship in 2008...Conference Player of the[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Year in 2009, when he completed 238[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]-[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]for[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]-[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]325 passes (73.2%) for 2,720 yards, 18 TDs and five[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]interceptions and averaged 8.2 yards on 117 carries (958 yards), with nine TDs…Uncle, Danny[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Grayson, was an All[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]-[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]American LB at Washington State, selected in seventh round of 1990 NFL[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Draft by Pittsburgh…Garrett Bradley Grayson was born May 29, 1991 in Vancouver, Wash.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]New Orleans Saints Quarterback Garrett Grayson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Friday, May 1, 2015[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]How do you feel about coming to New Orleans and learning under Drew Brees?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“I said all along through this whole process that New Orleans was one of my dream teams to go[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]to for that exact reason. I want to go to a situation, as a competitor you want to come in and[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]compete right away but I wanted to go to a place where I was going to have a spot behind, or[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]have a good spot behind, a NFL Hall of Famer potentially. So this is honestly just a dream come[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]true for me. I am beyond excited to be a part of the Saints organization.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]What do you feel like you need to work on?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“I would like to quicken up my release. That is something through this whole process I had to[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]talk to people about. It all happened, it kind of got longer as the season went on because I hurt[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]my AC and SC joint early on in the year. It just did not hurt as bad to throw with the longer[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]release and so it got me in some bad habits and that is something that I am trying to tighten up[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]because I know those defenses in the NFL are coming off the edge quick, so obviously you do[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]not want to have that release or the ball hanging out there too long. It is just something to try and[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]tighten up. Like I said, I am just trying to learn anything I possibly can from Drew (Brees).”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Can you talk about your head coach Jim McElwain at Colorado State and how he[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]prepared you for the next level?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“Coming out of high school I was a full spread guy and that was quite a big decision or a big part[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]of my decision coming out from high school to CSU (Colorado State University), Coach (Steve)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Fairchild was there at the time and had a pro style system. I was extremely happy that Coach[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Mac (Jim McElwain), when he got hired because I knew obviously from watching him at[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Alabama what kind of system he was bringing. I wanted to be in a pro style system and I feel[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]like that translates guys that play in those systems that they are the ones that translate and have[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]the most success early on in their careers and have extended careers. Again, I am just extremely[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]excited and just want to get down there.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]What were your meetings like with the Saints?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“I actually had a workout with them this last Monday, four days ago. Honestly I walked away[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]from the workout and thought, I personally didn’t think it was my best workout through the[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]process, and was extremely disappointed. I actually texted Coach (Mike) Neu, the quarterbacks[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]coach, because I was extremely disappointed (and) like I said. New Orleans has been a dream[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]team for me. I was definitely extremely upset that night but obviously whatever it was, they[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]thought I did something good. I am just extremely happy, (and was) when I saw that number[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]flash on my phone because my dream had come true.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Can you talk more about that workout? Why didn’t you feel like it went well? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“It started out, we went into our indoor facility and threw some routes. That was really the part[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]that I was upset at myself about. As far as going into the classroom and on the board work, they[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]tested me on formations, (and) they gave me some plays they wanted to talk through and explain.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I thought I did really well with those. I was extremely happy with that part of it. Just the work[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]out part, I had some throws that I missed or was low on. That’s something I’ve always had pride[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]in in myself, is being one of the more accurate QBs. I walked away from that workout and I feel[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]like I left some something out there.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Were there some similarities between the offense you ran and some of thing the Saints[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]discussed with you about theirs?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“Actually the couple plays they had me run or draw up on the board and the formations they had,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]those three plays, progressions and everything, were exactly what we would do and how we[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]taught it at CSU. The formations were exactly the same as what we had, just the verbiage was[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]different. Something I’ve learned throughout this whole process talking with all the teams that[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I’ve talked to in preparation for playing in the pros, Coach Mack has taught me a ton. Like I said,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]really the only thing that’s been different is the verbiage and different terminology for the plays.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]But as far as formations, protections, everything like that, it’s all very similar. Again, I just have[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]to thank Coach Mack (McElwain) for putting me up here.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]People have been calling you the heir apparent to Drew Brees? What do you think of that?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“I don’t know. He’s an NFL Hall of Famer in my book. I’m just extremely excited to get behind[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]him and learn as much as I can. I’m going to come down there and compete like I’m a starter, I[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]think as any position should. I’m just extremely excited to learn from him. I hope to learn as[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]much as I can to prepare me for the next couple of years.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Are you fine sitting for a few years?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“I am coming to compete like a starter, like anybody should. But I have no problem sitting[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]behind a Hall of Famer like Drew Brees and learning, just like Aaron [Rodgers] did with Brett[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Favre. I have no issue with that. I’m not just saying this, this is really a dream come true for me.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Was that workout on Monday your only workout with the Saints?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“That was the only workout with them.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]You mentioned some changes you want to make mechanically with your throwing motion.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In the workout did you show your old motion or what you are working on recently?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“Through the whole process, I have tightened that thing up. Like I said, I developed some bad[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]habits and it is not going to get better overnight. It is going to take some time. Hopefully working[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]with Drew Brees, he can give me some pointers and things like that. He is definitely top three, if[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]not the most, accurate quarterback in the NFL. Any pointer I can get from him I am going to[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]take.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Are you going to wait for him to give it to you on his own or are you going to ask?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“I will ask him. I am sure he will get annoyed with me because I will be asking him questions[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]like crazy.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Can you run through your injury history? I think they mentioned three collarbone injuries[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]or AC joint injuries.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“I hurt my collarbone and broke it three times. The second time I hurt it, the bone never broke[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]but I shifted the plate that they put in it. They took the plate out, and I re-broke it, so now there’s[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]a plate back in it. I hurt my AC and SC joints this season in week four. I pulled my right[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]hamstring while training for the combine, but other than that I’ve been pretty healthy and I[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]haven’t missed a game since 2012. The AC and SC were on the throwing shoulder.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Have you spoken to Drew Brees or been to New Orleans before?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“I have not spoken to Drew Brees, but I have been to New Orleans before. I went to the Manning[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Passing Academy last year. I was one of the guys that were helping out. I got to coach up some[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]kids, learn from them, and hang around the Manning family. I stayed in New Orleans for a[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]couple of days after the game, and I loved the people down there. The southern hospitality is a[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]true thing, and that’s something that I’m definitely excited to be a part of. I love being around[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]people and I’m very social; I just love being in that type of environment. It’s definitely[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]something I’m excited to be a part of.” [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Sean Payton has a great reputation for working with QBs. What do you envision your[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]relationship being like with him?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]“I’m just extremely excited. Like I said, the Saints have been one of my dream teams throughout[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]this entire process, and seeing what he has done with Drew Brees and the kind of relationship[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]that they have had while watching them on TV has been great. Seeing how they go about their[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]process and how routine-oriented those guys are, as well as talking to them about what their[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]week is like, I think they mesh together extremely well. I’m excited to see that and be a part of[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]that, to sit in that quarterback room and learn from those guys, because like you just said, he[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt](Sean Payton) has a reputation of developing quarterbacks and getting them into situations to be[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]successful, so again, I’m just extremely excited about it.” [/SIZE]

Finding the Fits: Saints could cash in with rookie P.J. Williams at nickel

Excerpt:

Finally, while no one is suggesting that Garrett Grayson will be pushing Brees for snaps anytime soon, it wasn't surprising to see the Saints look for a talent to develop with their All-Pro entering his 15th season in the NFL. Grayson steadily improved in then-CSU head coach Jim McElwain's pro-style offense, earning Mountain West Player of the Year honors in 2014 and clearly outplaying the other quarterbacks invited to the Senior Bowl. Grayson will have to show more mettle under pressure (and that is tough to do while holding a clipboard on the sideline) but I like his combination of athleticism and accuracy on the intermediate and deep routes so important in Payton's offense.

Any chance this guy gets a good look with Brees possibly hurt? More 2nd string reps and a start down the road maybe?

Not major news but Grayson was released. A little surprised by this. But oh well, i guess i have an extra space on my taxi squad now.

Not major news but Grayson was released. A little surprised by this. But oh well, i guess i have an extra space on my taxi squad now.
Payton said in the preseason that he expected Grayson to be further along in his development at this point. It didn't happen but maybe he lands on the PS instead,

Convo for the Saints thread, but what a jack-knife this is. 2011 Brees is supposed to play 5 more seasons, he gets paid like he should plus make up for what he did before, then he would retire a greybeard and the Saints would bring in the young heir to be - turned out to be Grayson - to replace him. Now the Saints resign Brees at the end, his backup is as old or older than he is (no I didn't check) and Grayson is cut, so never mind and this was a 3rd round bust and the QB whisperer whiffed on both the talent and development.

Convo for the Saints thread, but what a jack-knife this is. 2011 Brees is supposed to play 5 more seasons, he gets paid like he should plus make up for what he did before, then he would retire a greybeard and the Saints would bring in the young heir to be - turned out to be Grayson - to replace him. Now the Saints resign Brees at the end, his backup is as old or older than he is (no I didn't check) and Grayson is cut, so never mind and this was a 3rd round bust and the QB whisperer whiffed on both the talent and development.
i don't know that Payton is a QB-whisperer. he's an offensive genius *maybe* but I trusted Lombardi as the QB coach with managing Brees at his peak. i'm glad he's back even if Payton/Loomis control everything within the organization. Grayson didn't pan out, I guess, and we haven't done a good job of preparing for a future without Brees. for me, the concern isn't so much about Brees' decline but his recovery from injury. he's going to be more susceptible to injury, need longer recovery, and more a target for attacking defenses as a result.

Users who are viewing this thread