What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Cardale Jones*** - Newest Charger (1 Viewer)

ShamrockPride

Footballguy
Midway thru this playoff game against Bama. This guy looks dominant. 6'5", 250. Has one of the best deep balls I've seen in a long time. Stands tall in the pocket against pressure and turns into Brandon Jacobs when he decides to tuck and run, where he also has some darn nice wheels. Makes adjustments before the snap. Obviously with the body, the Culpepper & Jamarcus comparisons will flood in.

Much more to see with this guy in the next year as he develops in his junior year, as teams get more tape on him, if he even stays at OSU, but he certainly is on my watch list.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no guarantee he will even start next year. He will have to compete with Barrett and possibly Braxton Miller next year. He throws a better deep ball and is a better runner than Barrett but Barrett is a superior passer overall. It will be very interesting to see how it shakes out next year.

Heard Cris Carter on the radio a couple weeks ago. Said Braxton Miller is the starter next year. No doubt in his mind.

Cardale looks darn good. Would start for 99% of teams next year.

There's no guarantee he will even start next year. He will have to compete with Barrett and possibly Braxton Miller next year. He throws a better deep ball and is a better runner than Barrett but Barrett is a superior passer overall. It will be very interesting to see how it shakes out next year.
If he doesn't implode in the 4th or play poopy next game (assuming they beat Bama), he can pretty much transfer to any school of his choosing next year (though transfers do have to wait a year IIRC). Still would be a typical 5 year player. Not ideal but it's an option he has.

Heard Cris Carter on the radio a couple weeks ago. Said Braxton Miller is the starter next year. No doubt in his mind.

Cardale looks darn good. Would start for 99% of teams next year.
Miller will start, it just is a question if where. He was looking at Duke among others .

Shark Pool should want to talk about Ezekial Elliot a lot more. Barrett is a far more complete QB. I get the drool over Jones arm and he played really smart tonight but he would be a big project. I would hate for someone to take him as a savior and ruin him because he's not ready.

Jones should come out. Seriously, if he ends up backing up the younger Barrett going forward that does nothing for him. He's shown enough to be a mid-round pick at WORST with his tools, and hell he could be a late riser with his arm, size, and what he's doing now.

Midway thru this playoff game against Bama. This guy looks dominant. 6'5", 250. Has one of the best deep balls I've seen in a long time. Stands tall in the pocket against pressure and turns into Brandon Jacobs when he decides to tuck and run, where he also has some darn nice wheels. Makes adjustments before the snap. Obviously with the body, the Culpepper & Jamarcus comparisons will flood in.

Much more to see with this guy in the next year as he develops in his junior year, as teams get more tape on him, if he even stays at OSU, but he certainly is on my watch list.
Only time I watched him in the Sugar Bowl. He has a serious howitzer for an arm.

Midway thru this playoff game against Bama. This guy looks dominant. 6'5", 250. Has one of the best deep balls I've seen in a long time. Stands tall in the pocket against pressure and turns into Brandon Jacobs when he decides to tuck and run, where he also has some darn nice wheels. Makes adjustments before the snap. Obviously with the body, the Culpepper & Jamarcus comparisons will flood in.Much more to see with this guy in the next year as he develops in his junior year, as teams get more tape on him, if he even stays at OSU, but he certainly is on my watch list.
Only time I watched him in the Sugar Bowl. He has a serious howitzer for an arm.
Fair enough. But each one of those 7 or 8 long balls he launched over the game had a perfect spiral to each of them and hit his receiver dead in the chest on 5 or 6 of them, even if those receivers couldn't haul most of them in. I'm sure we'll get to see more of it in the NC.

Heard on the radio (so take it for what it's worth) that there's a possible Miller to Florida State connection for next year...

Was listening to some overnight radio on this.

Apparently, the gameplan was so stripped down for him that it took almost every piece of decision making out of his hands.

1) We're calling a lot of deep passes. Drop back, and if it doesn't look like a total goat rodeo downfield, go ahead and chuck it and we'll see what happens.

2) Every other called pass, if your first read is wide open, throw it to him.

3) In all other scenarios, tuck and and run up the middle for all you're worth.

Worked awesomely. :shrug: So, no criticism here. Just Urban knowing inside and out his guy's abilities and limitations.

Does say to me though that he'd have a lot of work to do to take over the reigns to an offense as a starter. Absolutely criminal that this beast is a 3rd stringer when there are D1 bowl-bound teams trotting out guys without a tenth of his raw ability or athleticism.

I'm not sure if this guy can catch, but watching him run around out there he looks like a TE.

His arm is ridiculously strong but every throw is a 100 mph fast ball it seems. To say he's rough around the edges as a passer/QB is putting it lightly.

His arm is ridiculously strong but every throw is a 100 mph fast ball it seems. To say he's rough around the edges as a passer/QB is putting it lightly.
I feel like I could say the same thing about Mariota after watching him last night.

Was listening to some overnight radio on this.

Apparently, the gameplan was so stripped down for him that it took almost every piece of decision making out of his hands.

1) We're calling a lot of deep passes. Drop back, and if it doesn't look like a total goat rodeo downfield, go ahead and chuck it and we'll see what happens.

2) Every other called pass, if your first read is wide open, throw it to him.

3) In all other scenarios, tuck and and run up the middle for all you're worth.

Worked awesomely. :shrug: So, no criticism here. Just Urban knowing inside and out his guy's abilities and limitations.

Does say to me though that he'd have a lot of work to do to take over the reigns to an offense as a starter. Absolutely criminal that this beast is a 3rd stringer when there are D1 bowl-bound teams trotting out guys without a tenth of his raw ability or athleticism.
:goodposting:

Heard on the radio (so take it for what it's worth) that there's a possible Miller to Florida State connection for next year...
Gonna be a lot of that. He has graduated, so can transfer anywhere with no loss of eligibility as Russel Wilson did. OSU might be able to block an intra-conference transfer, not sure, but Miller's going to be linked to a bunch of programs, including Oregon, for a while.

barrett is def gonna be the starter next year,

miller should transfer to the rb/wr role that percy harvin had with meyer.

cardale should transfer to a school that needs a qb.

Can you imagine Barrett in shotgun, EZ-E on his right, Miller to his left? Read option to Elliot left, sprint right with Miller trailing in the option look, pitch to Miller for run/pass option? How do you defend that? So many things you can do with that personnel.

Jones shouldn't transfer. Either trust Meyer will get him some exposure either via injury or personnel, or just declare and get on with it. Jones is already 22, transferring loses a year of eligibility and then only has one year in a new system. He may as well just go get drafted in the 5th and get some NFL coaching.

Can you imagine Barrett in shotgun, EZ-E on his right, Miller to his left? Read option to Elliot left, sprint right with Miller trailing in the option look, pitch to Miller for run/pass option? How do you defend that? So many things you can do with that personnel.

Jones shouldn't transfer. Either trust Meyer will get him some exposure either via injury or personnel, or just declare and get on with it. Jones is already 22, transferring loses a year of eligibility and then only has one year in a new system. He may as well just go get drafted in the 5th and get some NFL coaching.
NFL doesn't spend much time on third string qb's. If he wants a good shot at the pros then he needs to show more in college.

NFL doesn't spend much time on third string qb's. If he wants a good shot at the pros then he needs to show more in college.
The NFL doesn't get many 3rd stringers stuck behind two Heisman candidates. If he's got the goods, he'll get a shot to develop.

The NFL doesn't get many 3rd stringers stuck behind two Heisman candidates. If he's got the goods, he'll get a shot to develop.
He's only started for like a few games. The only thing impressive in what I saw the Sugar Bowl was his physical attributes. Freelove's post was pretty spot on when it came to Meyer's game plan with him. I do believe there is something more cerebral as far as a QB mindset in Jones, and I thinks that's valid given the stage he was on, and I believe he will compete well in the NCAA Championship. If he competes well above in the NCAA Championship, his stock soars IMO.

BTW, I don't watch much 'Bama, but who is that big John Riggins truck of an RB/TE/Truck? Henry? Any thread on him yet?

BTW, I don't watch much 'Bama, but who is that big John Riggins truck of an RB/TE/Truck? Henry? Any thread on him yet?
Derrick Henry He's a sophmore, so there's a some Dev discussion about him, but I don't recall a dedicated thread yet.

I've never seen anything good come from the QB position at Ohio St. since Rex Kern and Art Schilichter and the former was turned into a DB and the latter is a degenerate gambler. Let's see how Jones develops as a passer, if he is even the starter in the future. I do like his field presence and he runs with authority.

i mean he will be a third stringer in the nfl, those are the types general managers like but coaching staffs largely ignore because they are pre occupied with winning the next game to worry about developing backup quarterbacks, especially ones with as little experience as him.

JohnnyU said:
I've never seen anything good come from the QB position at Ohio St. since Rex Kern and Art Schilichter and the former was turned into a DB and the latter is a degenerate gambler. Let's see how Jones develops as a passer, if he is even the starter in the future. I do like his field presence and he runs with authority.
just curious, why does it matter who has played qb at OSU before these guys? Each one is different. Implying that somehow there performance is correlated makes me wonder why miss valley state didn't have more WR's in NFL since they had the very best or Jackson State OR Florida RB's

When he shows up at the combine and throws his deep ball with his size and measurables, some teams won't care if ever played a down of college football.

When he shows up at the combine and throws his deep ball with his size and measurables, some teams won't care if ever played a down of college football.
oh he will get drafted, but then what?If he wants a career he needs more experience. If he wants a paycheck then declare.

JohnnyU said:
I hate when people make this argument. What previous QBs have done at Ohio State is irrelevant. Different coach, different team, etc. Not a valid comparison at all.

JohnnyU said:
I hate when people make this argument. What previous QBs have done at Ohio State is irrelevant. Different coach, different team, etc. Not a valid comparison at all.
:goodposting: almost as relevant as comparing the color of underwear they wear to the combine

Users who are viewing this thread