What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Jimmy Clausen....Active (1 Viewer)

Plorfu

Footballguy
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 10m10 minutes ago

Stunner from Chicago: Bears starting QB Jimmy Clausen this week, per source.

0 replies 1,986 retweets 680 favorites

Reply Retweet2K Favorite680

More
:popcorn:

Get Detroits D fired up!

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Bears will start Jimmy Clausen over Jay Cutler in Week 16 against the Lions.

The Bears are benching Cutler just 14 starts into his seven-year, $127 million extension. Cutler has regressed in his second season in Marc Trestman's offense, leading the NFL in turnovers and averaging 6.9 yards per attempt. Owed a fully guaranteed $15.5 million next year, the Bears only option is to trade Cutler this offseason if they want to move on from him. Chicago would absorb $19 million in dead money by releasing Cutler before 2016.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Dec 17 - 6:41 PM

People actually think he is a better play than Cutler in the other thread. Like the WRs will catch balls better and like Garza wont completely be inept at blocking because Clausen is in there. Oh and if Clausen is so good why is he a backup and has not started a game in 4 years?

People actually think he is a better play than Cutler in the other thread. Like the WRs will catch balls better and like Garza wont completely be inept at blocking because Clausen is in there. Oh and if Clausen is so good why is he a backup and has not started a game in 4 years?
Sharks know all backups are better than starters.

does this make Detroit DEF the #1 Defense to have in championship games?

Cluassen cannot be counted on to have a strong game, right? And DET run Defense is very good ....

The media are professional over-reactors. St Louis shuts out the Raiders and the Skins and the media dubs them "the team that no one wants to play". Then they lose to the Arizona with a 3rd string QB and the hype machine goes almost completely silent.

It seems like the Bears' are making decision based on press over-reaction to Cutlers last game and lack of a press conference. The biggest reason the Bears are struggling is their once vaunted defense can't stop a nose bleed. Does anyone really believe that Jimmy Clausen is the answer? Jimmy Clausen versus the Detroit defense has disaster written all over it. I don't see how any good can come from this decision.

Stealthycat said:
does this make Detroit DEF the #1 Defense to have in championship games?

Cluassen cannot be counted on to have a strong game, right? And DET run Defense is very good ....
This has me worried. I own cutler and forte. FML...

The media are professional over-reactors. St Louis shuts out the Raiders and the Skins and the media dubs them "the team that no one wants to play". Then they lose to the Arizona with a 3rd string QB and the hype machine goes almost completely silent.
Getting OT here, but Arizona's 3rd-string QB went 4-10 for 30 yards. The Rams' defense didn't lose that game.

Trestman is trying to save his job. If he does well with Claussen, he can say, 'See? my system is fine, this clown won't run my offense.'

Getting OT here, but Arizona's 3rd-string QB went 4-10 for 30 yards. The Rams' defense didn't lose that game.
I am just saying that teams shouldn't be changing their lineups because of perceived pressure. All I heard 2 weeks ago on every sports program was that Cleveland needs to dump Hoyer and go to Manziel immediately. What is the story this week?

I'm not a fan of Cutler but Chicago coaching staff shouldn't be burning bridges. There are worse QBs playing in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am just saying that teams shouldn't be changing their lineups because of perceived pressure. All I heard 2 weeks ago on every sports program was that Cleveland needs to dump Hoyer and go to Manziel immediately. What is the story this week?

I'm not a fan of Cutler but Chicago coaching staff shouldn't be burning bridges. There are worse QBs playing in the NFL.
Cutler or Trestman are gone after this year. I doubt anyone is worried about burning bridges.

Probably Trestman as a Cutler trade with that contract seems inconceivable now that Al Davis is dead.

It seems like the Bears' are making decision based on press over-reaction to Cutlers last game and lack of a press conference. The biggest reason the Bears are struggling is their once vaunted defense can't stop a nose bleed. Does anyone really believe that Jimmy Clausen is the answer? Jimmy Clausen versus the Detroit defense has disaster written all over it. I don't see how any good can come from this decision.
So Cutler doesnt have anything to do with the Bears losing?

Hmmmm glad I have that straight....

EDIT - Why does the bolded matter? So what if Detroit kills Chicago not likely the Bears were going anywhere anyways?

Last edited by a moderator:

I never understood the bolded? Since when is not having the worst something to be accepting of? Shouldn't you be looking for one of the best?

Left Guard, Safety, Running Back, Slot Wide Receiver

Those are the positions you can have some average NFL player but at QB you need to have someone playing like a top 10 NFL player to have a chance in my mind. That is unless you hang the WHOLE season on your defence every game.

Those are the positions you can have some average NFL player but at QB you need to have someone playing like a top 10 NFL player to have a chance in my mind.
"Playing like" is an interesting differentiation. The last Ravens title, Flacco played like a top 10 NFL player. He is far from that but for that stretch he played like it. I think if Cutler is hot, he can play well for stretches like that. In general those types of SB wins are rare, riding on the back of a hot QB, but it's happened.

I definitely don't think you need an elite QB to be a legit contender. I think you can look at Arizona and Philly this year as examples of what Trestman hoped would happen. Put in a solid system, get a QB who can play in that system, and win. Both Az and PHI have solid defenses but not 2001 Ravens or 2002 Bucs defenses by any stretch. Palmer and Foles were good enough to get enough good plays, which led them to good records.

Ultimately the goal is SB not playoffs, but if you just look at SB winners it's also not clear. A lot of game managers win SB. Russell last year is an example. The years Brady won it was not a wide open offense with Brady playing like a top 10 NFL player. The years Ben won. The first goal is to have the QB not hurt you. Cutler is hurting the Bears with his play.

McCown looked much more comfortable with Trestman than Cutler does. Granted the games he played were quote unquote easy matchups. But if Trestman is a system guy he needs a guy who fits his system and maybe Cutler just isn't that. Cutler's arranged marriage with Martz also ended really bad. Maybe Cutler needs a defensive coach that will let him just wing it all day and hope for the best. Ultimately Trestman was in the room when they decided big money for Cutler over small money for McCown or a rookie, and if the answer is Cutler just doesn't work in his system, he deserves to get fired for making the wrong choice.

Anyone have insight about Clausen's pass tendencies? Does he air it out? Does he favor his TE or RB as a safety valve? I'm playing against M. Bennett and Cutler has been feeding him over the past 4-5 weeks, so I think this change in QB has to help my cause.

Anyone have insight about Clausen's pass tendencies? Does he air it out? Does he favor his TE or RB as a safety valve? I'm playing against M. Bennett and Cutler has been feeding him over the past 4-5 weeks, so I think this change in QB has to help my cause.
I watched him play a lot at Notre Dame and he aired it out all the time. Of course, his starting WRs were Golden Tate and Michael Floyd so that probably had something do with it. His numbers at Carolina suggest he was dumping it off a lot.

Rotoworld:

Bears OC Adam Gase said Jimmy Clausen is a "perfect fit" for the offense.

"He's really grown as a player," said Gase. "He and Jay [Cutler] have a great relationship. I felt like he’d be perfect for what we were trying to do offensively." By talking up Clausen, it sounds like Gase is trying to put pressure on Cutler. Though Cutler threw a career-high 28 touchdowns last season, he also tied for the league-lead in interceptions. ESPN's Matt Williamson believes Bucs backup Mike Glennon is better than both of them, but so far the Bears haven't shown any interest.

Related: Mike Glennon, Jay Cutler

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 15 - 1:24 PM

Users who are viewing this thread