What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seantavius Jones WR - Promoted to Saints 53 (1 Viewer)

Defintely worth an add if you have a spot.

Him and Toon were both studs in training camp, and I think ultimately one of them will take over Colston's spot down the line.

It has been a long time, maybe over 2 seasons since Payton added a new wrinkle to the offense successfully. The most recent attempt was Josh Hill as a kind of TE2 and that has not worked. The offense has been losing playmakers, not gaining them, and in the draft Cooks and Grahams have been exceptions to the rule that the Saints have just not been drafting skill players well or maybe even at all.

Jones seemed to be constantly paired with Brandon Coleman in the preseason and offseason. Most thought Coleman, out of Cuse, with the big frame, long arms and long stride would be the UDFA to watch. But Coleman (as predicted by those who saw him in college) had a serious case of the dropsies. Jones however worked hard, stuck with it after a few drops of his own, and apparently has pleased Payton. He has really climbed the ladder. A Payton project is no small thing, it has great potential. And Payton is in a shake it up mode. Brees has been severely suffering for a lack of targets. Yes they miss Sproles and the loss of Cooks has had a big effect, even though Stills has taken over that role it's not the same. Jones may also be a useful red zone target. This offense used to be premised on limitless options and the high-low game. Now it just seems like Brees is looking at just 2-3 guys, hopefully this is a sign that Payton is getting creative again and expanding Brees' outlets.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/14019/saints-roster-breakdown-young-risers

WRs Brandon Coleman, Seantavius Jones -- I think the Saints are also high on the potential of their two undrafted rookie receivers from last year who spent most of the season on the practice squad -- which may be part of the reason why Kenny Stills was deemed expendable before his trade to the Miami Dolphins.

It's too early to project whether either guy will have a path to significant playing time, since they're still behind Marques Colston, Brandin Cooks and Nick Toon, and the Saints could wind up using one of their early draft picks on a receiver. But their progress will be an intriguing summer storyline.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/14019/saints-roster-breakdown-young-risers

WRs Brandon Coleman, Seantavius Jones -- I think the Saints are also high on the potential of their two undrafted rookie receivers from last year who spent most of the season on the practice squad -- which may be part of the reason why Kenny Stills was deemed expendable before his trade to the Miami Dolphins.

It's too early to project whether either guy will have a path to significant playing time, since they're still behind Marques Colston, Brandin Cooks and Nick Toon, and the Saints could wind up using one of their early draft picks on a receiver. But their progress will be an intriguing summer storyline.
Hey it could happen... Marques Colston, Terrance Copper, David Patten, Mark Campbell, Eric Johnson, Billy Miller, Lance Moore.... these are some of the illustrious names that have shown up as among stats leaders for the Saints in years past. - Jones and Coleman both had trouble catching the ball last preseason though. They're both both raw but also potentially good end zones targets.

For as long as I can remember Payton has always had a pet project UDFA WR on each of his teams he's coached.

I can't remember any panning out really and think I fell for the hype each time.

Not touching this one. Done with that.

Colston was pre-Payton. I think Patten was his Gmen project. Copper might have been his Dallas one.

Morgan had like 16 catches with the Saints.

But there's a name or two I'm forgetting. They got lengthy threads here and rrreally piqued some interest. One guy a couple years back had been with them three years and after two good preseasons, he was finally about to make a name for himself. He couldn't stay healthy in preseason and got cut.

Arrington! Adrian Arrington, I remember.

Telling ya...Payton projects are a very big tease

For as long as I can remember Payton has always had a pet project UDFA WR on each of his teams he's coached.

I can't remember any panning out really and think I fell for the hype each time.

Colston was pre-Payton. I think Patten was his Gmen project. Copper might have been his Dallas one.

But there's a name or two I'm forgetting. They got lengthy threads here and rrreally piqued some interest. One guy a couple years back had been with them three years and after two good preseasons, he was finally about to make a name for himself. He couldn't stay healthy in preseason and got cut.

Colston was drafted by Payton and the Saints in the 2006 draft. Lance Moore was an undrafred FA in 2005 under Jim Haslett, but stuck around with Payton and became a pretty decent player. Then there was the likes of Pierre Thomas, Graham, Jahari Evans, Carl Nicks, Armstead, etc. If there's one thing I trust Payton with; it's developing projects/mid-round talent along the offensive side of the ball

Brandon Coleman was given a third round grade by the NFL draft advisory board, but went unselected. 6'6" 225 and runs a 4.56. he's definitely raw but there is plenty to like if he can develop.

Colston was drafted by Payton and the Saints in the 2006 draft. Lance Moore was an undrafred FA in 2005 under Jim Haslett, but stuck around with Payton and became a pretty decent player. Then there was the likes of Pierre Thomas, Graham, Jahari Evans, Carl Nicks, Armstead, etc. If there's one thing I trust Payton with; it's developing projects/mid-round talent along the offensive side of the ball
I thought Colston was pre-Payton, my mistake it was Moore.

Sticking to WRs though...do you remember Arrington?

There's been a couple like him

ETA

An african name....On...ugh can't remember, I think he went to Arizona for a summer and fizzled after.

Ontarius On...oh I can't remember

I thought Colston was pre-Payton, my mistake it was Moore.

Sticking to WRs though...do you remember Arrington?

There's been a couple like him

ETA

An african name....On...ugh can't remember, I think he went to Arizona for a summer and fizzled after.

Ontarius On...oh I can't remember
You brought up three good names:

Arrington. When he finally had an open roster spot... he just went away, it didn't happen, though he did have repetitive injury issues. - Actually when I think of Arrington I think of Toon. Toon was drafted while Payton was out of the building in 2012 and he never has broken through.

Morgan - yeah, this is how he ended up in Walsh College. He may have also dragged down Stills since they were running buddies apparently (that's a post trade rumor...).

You're thinking of Onome Ojo - he was tall, rangy and pre-Payton, Haslett and Mike McCarthy project guy who never emerged.

I would also include:

- David Patten was a longtime vet who played for the Redskins and Pats and he had one pretty darned good year with Payton. They just brought him in and he was effective, just at the end of his career. His rep was as a gadget player and he was supposedly done, but then in NO he had 54 catches, his high had been 61 like 5 years before with the Pats.

And besides Colston and Moore people forget that these guys could have qualified as projects at one time:

- Jimmy Graham - 3rd round pick - he had 17 catches in his college career which had lasted one year. How many basketball playing tight ends have we heard of since Tony Gonzalez?

- Kenny Stills - 5th round pick - it was funny looking at that thread here about 4th round breakout WRs, and Stills was rarely mentioned on this board. Well he developed, he and Brees had the highest (or nearly highest) catch/target percentage for any duo in the league at one point. Let's see what that % is with Tannehill.

This year I will throw one more out there for people to chew on:

- Orson Charles - 4th round pick, 2012, same round as Ledarius Green and Adrien Robinson. - I know, hybrid, FB/TE, did zip at Cincy, but there he is sitting at the no. 3 TE spot. This guy had 45 receptions his final year at GA, 94 catches in 3 seasons, his rookie season he was 21. He was ranked tyhe top TE in the 2012 draft by Mike Mayock.

Btw I wouldn't count on Jones or Coleman or Toon, or Andy Tanner for that matter, let's just say it's not ridiculous. - Still, I'm hoping/expecting they take a WR and/or TE in the 1st or 2nd round.

Rotoworld:

Saints second-year WR Seantavius Jones appears to be ahead of Brandon Coleman on the depth chart at OTAs.

Prepare yourself for plenty of Jones and Coleman blurbs on Rotoworld over the next few months. They are competing for playing time with Nick Toon behind Brandin Cooks and Marques Colston. 6-foot-3 and 208 pounds, Jones ran 4.53 with impressive vertical (38 1/2") and broad (10'5") jumps before going undrafted in 2014. He's worth monitoring in a fairly wide-open Saints receiver corps.

Jun. 1 - 11:26 am et
Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

Seantavius Jones - WR - Saints

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports Saints WR Seantavius Jones remains on the roster bubble.

Jones hasn't made any noise since being noted as a "standout" at OTAs. He played 24 snaps in the preseason opener and caught 1-of-2 targets for a meager five yards. Jones has fallen behind both Nick Toon and Brandon Coleman in the battle for the Nos. 3 and 4 receiver jobs.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Aug 18 - 8:25 PM

Rotoworld:

Seantavius Jones - WR - Saints

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports Saints WR Seantavius Jones remains on the roster bubble.

Jones hasn't made any noise since being noted as a "standout" at OTAs. He played 24 snaps in the preseason opener and caught 1-of-2 targets for a meager five yards. Jones has fallen behind both Nick Toon and Brandon Coleman in the battle for the Nos. 3 and 4 receiver jobs.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

Aug 18 - 8:25 PM
And what has Coleman done?

@TheSaintsBeat what's up with Coleman not playing WR in 1st half last week but now featured in 3 WR sets? Do he/Jones both make roster?
His absence against the Ravens was very curious and still hasn't been satisfactorily explained. Sean Payton said Coleman did nothing wrong, and that coaches will get him more involved in the second preseason game.

Payton has said nothing that would suggest Coleman isn't a big part of their plans in 2015. I expect him to make the team and catch a lot of passes.

Seantavius Jones is on the bubble. If he doesn't make the roster, I think the Saints will stash him on the practice squad for another year.

WIDE RECEIVERS (6): Marques Colston, Brandon Cooks, Nick Toon, Brandon Coleman, Seantavius Jones, Willie Snead

CUT: Joe Morgan, Josh Morgan, Jalen Saunders, R.J. Harris, Lance Lewis

I found it strange not to see Coleman until the second half of the preseason opener, but Sean Payton said that won't happen again and he expects to give Coleman significant reps early against the Patriots on Saturday. As for Jones, he's recovered from a slow start and become the player we all expected to see throughout this camp. And what can I say about Snead except he does so much right and just continues to impress at every turn. To me, he's done enough to earn one of these hotly contested spots.
http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/nfl/saints/2015/08/18/saints-roster-cuts/31951423/

Coleman - zero catches

Jones - 1 catch for 22 yards.

So far this preseason Jones has 2 catches for 27 yards and Coleman has zero.

Coleman - zero catches

Coleman is running as the clear WR3 in practice and was covered by McCourty on his target last night. Jones reels in a 22 yd pass on the last play of a week 2 preseason game. Where exactly are you trying to go with this?

Coleman - zero catches

Coleman is running as the clear WR3 in practice and was covered by McCourty on his target last night. Jones reels in a 22 yd pass on the last play of a week 2 preseason game.Where exactly are you trying to go with this?

For what it's worth, Coleman pretty much dropped a TD pass on the Saints' opening drive last night.

Snead is now the 2nd UDFA WR to watch. Jones fell behind during camp and never caught up. He looks the part but needs at least another year of PS work, project.

Users who are viewing this thread