What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deep dynasty RB stashes (1 Viewer)

mr roboto

Footballguy
Peterson, Charles, McCoy, Forte, Lacy... :yawn: Obviously if you have them, good for you. But between heightened concussion awareness, increased passing emphasis and the relative devaluation of the position (based on contracts and draft positions) the smart fantasy owner needs to have a read on the guys that don't make the front page of ESPN FF.

Guys like Joique Bell, Foster, Morris have come from relative nowhere. We are all familiar with the handcuff, what I'm talking about here is deeper than the handcuff. Off-the-radar guys that may be littering the WW of your dynasty leagues.

My first contribution - Dan Herron. Potent offense, young stud QB, and underwhelming production in front of him.

Who are you monitoring and ready to stash this year?

While I doubt they will ever give him a legit shot, Denard Robinson has been striking my fancy.

Surprisingly to me, Henry Josey has looked good albeit against 3rd and 4th stringers.

David Fleullen, he was just traded to Indy and we all know (some are still in denial) how bad TRich is and how fragile Ahmad Bradshaw is.. Very realistic chance he could become fantasy relevant this year and he is free.

Chris Thompson, while injuries have kept him from showing anything both coaching staffs that have had him have felt it necessary to highly compliment him. Shows some serious burst in his college highlights, if he ever gets a chance should be interesting to see if it translates.

Chris Thompson, while injuries have kept him from showing anything both coaching staffs that have had him have felt it necessary to highly compliment him. Shows some serious burst in his college highlights, if he ever gets a chance should be interesting to see if it translates.
so hard to hold onto him after very disappointing off-season

Spencer Ware made the Seahawks 53 last season when they definitely didn't NEED to keep him. He has barely played this preseason, but when I've seen him for Seattle he has generally looked like a capable power back. If not for the fact that he's stuck in probably the most crowded and talented backfield in the entire NFL, he might have a higher profile. I don't think he's ever going to be a top 20 back in the league, but he might be good enough to do a BJGE/Greene/J Bell somewhere if given the opportunity. If the Seahawks cut him, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone sign him. I've seen some pretty bad backup RBs around the league and, at the very least, he'd probably be an upgrade there for somebody.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll second the DuJuan Harris post. Seems like the whole world forgot about Lacy's injury-riddled past, and I don't buy a 2nd full season of health.

Lance Dunbar for many of the same reasons.

Spencer Ware made the Seahawks 53 last season when they definitely didn't NEED to keep him. He has barely played this preseason, but when I've seen him for Seattle he has generally looked like a capable power back. If not for the fact that he's stuck in probably the most crowded and talented backfield in the entire NFL, he might have a higher profile. I don't think he's ever going to be a top 20 back in the league, but he might be good enough to do a BJGE/Greene/J Bell somewhere if given the opportunity. If the Seahawks cut him, I wouldn't be surprised to see someone sign him. I've seen some pretty bad backup RBs around the league and, at the very least, he'd probably be an upgrade there for somebody.
I like Ware. I rostered him last year in hopes he might latch on somewhere and get a chance to compete to be a starter. But then he was cursed with the "tweener" label (FB/RB). Sprinkle in some minor injuries, an IR stint, and some minor legal issues and he's kinda faded away. I don't believe he was active for any/many games last year.

I coulda swore that I read SEA put him on waivers and he passed through unclaimed. So he ended up back with the 'Hawks. That didn't seem very promising to me. But I could be mistaken.

Lance Dunbar

Fits the bill of what Linehan likes in a running back as a pass catcher and a runner. Dunbar could do pretty well this year.

I know Davonte Freeman is all the rage, but I thought Antone Smith looked pretty impressive in his limited playing time last season.

Warpig said:
EBF said:
I like Ware. I rostered him last year in hopes he might latch on somewhere and get a chance to compete to be a starter. But then he was cursed with the "tweener" label (FB/RB). Sprinkle in some minor injuries, an IR stint, and some minor legal issues and he's kinda faded away. I don't believe he was active for any/many games last year.

I coulda swore that I read SEA put him on waivers and he passed through unclaimed. So he ended up back with the 'Hawks. That didn't seem very promising to me. But I could be mistaken.
Yea, I think your info is off. As far as I know he was never waived by the Seahawks. He was actually active for two games early last season. He had 3 carries for 10 yards. Then he hurt his ankle and was placed on IR for the remainder of the season.

I think the FB experiment has officially ended. Even last year he came into camp at 218 pounds and featured more as a runner than a blocker. This year I'm pretty sure they've abandoned the FB idea completely. That's the good news. The bad news is that he appears to be extremely low on the depth chart. I would not be surprised if he's cut this year. However, like I said, I think there's a decent chance someone else will grab him if that happens.

With starters being rested tonight for most teams and with Michael out injured, I would expect Ware to finally get a decent # of carries this evening. He's not the type to break a lot of long runs, but it could be an opportunity for him to showcase what he can do.

chinawildman said:
I know Davonte Freeman is all the rage, but I thought Antone Smith looked pretty impressive in his limited playing time last season.
Antone is actually pretty old in RB years and doesn't block. He's capable of an explosive play, but doubt he'd ever get enough carries to be relevant.

Couple guys I'm keeping an eye on in the games tonight that could be pretty relevant if the dice roll the right way...

In no particular order:

1) Denard Robinson - I've said it elsewhere that Gerhart has quite an injury history despite being a "break glass in case of emergency" type with Minnesota behind Peterson. Now he's going to be a full time guy with a heavy workload. I actually like Gerhart's talent, but there's certainly risk he'll break down. That's the type I look to throw darts behind.... Todman looked OK last year, but nothing special IMO. This preseason he's looked terrible. Robinson is up to 212lbs at 5'11"... that's pretty solid with his speed. He's looked great on limited touches this preseason... wouldn't be shocked if he passed Todman or saw an increased role despite Todman's presence. Robinson is also competing to be an option on KO returns, boosting value in those leagues.

2) Damien Williams - Also on record regarding Lamar Miller... I'm not much of a believer. I think he's pretty mediocre, a guy that looks great in shorts but lackluster when the pads come on. Helluva athlete, not the best RB. Moreno is what he is... solid pass protector, will get what's blocked... not very dynamic. Williams had some prospect buzz before getting kicked off the team at Oklahoma (a few of the national guys had him highly rated entering his senior year). Decent combine numbers.. big enough to be a clear workhorse and can catch the ball. Glowing reviews in camp so far... keeping a close eye on him tonight.

3) Boom Herron - In a Donald Brown sort of way I'm really starting to wonder if Herron just fits better in the current Colts situation than anyone else on that roster (I've heard a few guys in on Tipton and/or Fluellen, but neither have climbed the depth chart much). Herron doesn't have great top-end speed with that 4.6+ 40 at the combine, but he's quicker than fast with a reported 1.5 second 10-yard split according to Draftscout. A solid 3-cone and a great short shuttle at the combine show he's got some elusiveness. He can catch the ball out of the backfield as well, evidenced by 10 receptions thus far in the preseason, and he's been the most productive thus far averaging 5.8 per attempt. He's also an option on kick returns, which boosts value in those leagues.

4&5) Patriots Options - Jonas Gray and Brandon Bolden.... one of these guys is likey to make the team... conceivably both could if NE surprisingly cuts Ridley. Vereen has his role and isn't likely to do the heavy lifting between the tackles. White has struggled this preseason, and some were skeptical he could handle the work between the tackles as a prospect (specifically remember references to Wisconsin fans knowing he wasn't a great option in the trenches). It looks like his usage this preseason has been largely as Vereen's backup. Meanwhile Gray has received a ton of pub backing up Ridley, getting a ton of run thus far and being the most productive power back in that system. He's bounced around a little now after a knee injury ended his senior year at Notre Dame, but he may have found a home in NE. I'm pretty confident Bolden is JAG, but there's a chance he's more and we've not had the Pats lean on him, though I doubt it. There's a LeGarrett Blount-sized hole in this backfield as it currently stands that Gray could fill right away. That role could grow significantly if Ridley is either let go, or if he starts fumbling again. The Pats produce on the ground... they produce with a high volume of carries and great efficiency running, combined with the pace to run near the top of the league in total plays. Stacked together, it makes me less worried when I know there's a committee... there's enough to go around here. Tonight should be interesting.

Couple guys I'm keeping an eye on in the games tonight that could be pretty relevant if the dice roll the right way...

In no particular order:

1) Denard Robinson - I've said it elsewhere that Gerhart has quite an injury history despite being a "break glass in case of emergency" type with Minnesota behind Peterson. Now he's going to be a full time guy with a heavy workload. I actually like Gerhart's talent, but there's certainly risk he'll break down. That's the type I look to throw darts behind.... Todman looked OK last year, but nothing special IMO. This preseason he's looked terrible. Robinson is up to 212lbs at 5'11"... that's pretty solid with his speed. He's looked great on limited touches this preseason... wouldn't be shocked if he passed Todman or saw an increased role despite Todman's presence. Robinson is also competing to be an option on KO returns, boosting value in those leagues.

2) Damien Williams - Also on record regarding Lamar Miller... I'm not much of a believer. I think he's pretty mediocre, a guy that looks great in shorts but lackluster when the pads come on. Helluva athlete, not the best RB. Moreno is what he is... solid pass protector, will get what's blocked... not very dynamic. Williams had some prospect buzz before getting kicked off the team at Oklahoma (a few of the national guys had him highly rated entering his senior year). Decent combine numbers.. big enough to be a clear workhorse and can catch the ball. Glowing reviews in camp so far... keeping a close eye on him tonight.

3) Boom Herron - In a Donald Brown sort of way I'm really starting to wonder if Herron just fits better in the current Colts situation than anyone else on that roster (I've heard a few guys in on Tipton and/or Fluellen, but neither have climbed the depth chart much). Herron doesn't have great top-end speed with that 4.6+ 40 at the combine, but he's quicker than fast with a reported 1.5 second 10-yard split according to Draftscout. A solid 3-cone and a great short shuttle at the combine show he's got some elusiveness. He can catch the ball out of the backfield as well, evidenced by 10 receptions thus far in the preseason, and he's been the most productive thus far averaging 5.8 per attempt. He's also an option on kick returns, which boosts value in those leagues.

4&5) Patriots Options - Jonas Gray and Brandon Bolden.... one of these guys is likey to make the team... conceivably both could if NE surprisingly cuts Ridley. Vereen has his role and isn't likely to do the heavy lifting between the tackles. White has struggled this preseason, and some were skeptical he could handle the work between the tackles as a prospect (specifically remember references to Wisconsin fans knowing he wasn't a great option in the trenches). It looks like his usage this preseason has been largely as Vereen's backup. Meanwhile Gray has received a ton of pub backing up Ridley, getting a ton of run thus far and being the most productive power back in that system. He's bounced around a little now after a knee injury ended his senior year at Notre Dame, but he may have found a home in NE. I'm pretty confident Bolden is JAG, but there's a chance he's more and we've not had the Pats lean on him, though I doubt it. There's a LeGarrett Blount-sized hole in this backfield as it currently stands that Gray could fill right away. That role could grow significantly if Ridley is either let go, or if he starts fumbling again. The Pats produce on the ground... they produce with a high volume of carries and great efficiency running, combined with the pace to run near the top of the league in total plays. Stacked together, it makes me less worried when I know there's a committee... there's enough to go around here. Tonight should be interesting.
This turned into a pretty damned good post...

In no particular order:

This turned into a pretty damned good post...
a few really good posts in here. Murray, McKinnon, maybe Tipton (opportunity is coming), but yeah, I'd subscribe to JFS's blog.

Ha thanks guys... read the tea leaves I guess. Sometimes you get lucky.

Thankfully I followed my own advice on Denard. Own him everywhere, including 16-team start 2 RB dynasty, though a Yahoo waivers glitch (where they hadn't processed and I couldn't tell if I was awarded Bolden or not until 11 am) caused me to miss adding Jonas Gray (I wanted both or none). Cut bait on Herron too quickly for other darts, though they've panned out OK for the most part (Riddick, Hurns).

Damien Williams the same as Herron - I remain less convinced there since the coaching staff seems to shy away from him every chance they get, even giving additional carries to off-the-street Daniel Thomas, who we all know is extremely lackluster.

Tipton's gonna be one to watch potentially... like the profile a lot, and they don't seem convinced on Richardson or Herron (trying to claim Tate).

:thumbup:

If you want the "next" Spencer Ware, try Kenneth Farrow. He's the cheapo RB I'm stashing everywhere now. Similar type of player in some ways.

Its always fun to look back but I will tell you this year I'm a big Kenyon Barner guy I think Matthews is injury prone and Barner looks much quicker then Matthews and he follows his blocks very well. 

I know Zeke is the guy in Dallas, but darn Darius Jackson looked good in the preseason. Also, as a pass-catching specialist especially in a PPR, I like Josh Ferguson.

Daniel Lasco.

He made the Saints 53. The Saints currently have Ingram, Cadet, Hightower, Murphy and  Lasco.  Generally you can count on over a 100 receptions to Saints backs.  Right now, Cadet seems to have the receiving back role locked down, which should be good for a minimum of 50 receptions. Should Cadet falter or get injured, I think there would be a much larger role for Lasco who should easily pass Murphy.

With Ajayi in the doghouse, you'd have to think Damien Williams stands a significant chance for carries if Foster's body of glass breaks down again.

With Ajayi in the doghouse, you'd have to think Damien Williams stands a significant chance for carries if Foster's body of glass breaks down again.
Foster listed as questionable might get his chance this weekend. Grab him now if you believe in him.

Tex

Nero said:
Daniel Lasco.

He made the Saints 53. The Saints currently have Ingram, Cadet, Hightower, Murphy and  Lasco.  Generally you can count on over a 100 receptions to Saints backs.  Right now, Cadet seems to have the receiving back role locked down, which should be good for a minimum of 50 receptions. Should Cadet falter or get injured, I think there would be a much larger role for Lasco who should easily pass Murphy.
He's the only RB that looked good at the combine (other than Zeke and Henry), and he's going to fill a Khiry Robinson role which is decent production.  He also has the size but not quite the strength yet to be a workhorse.  Very interesting name for me as well.  Concussions already are a concern though.  

No kidding, I am actually not stashing as many deep RBs because of next year's RB class.  

If a deep guy ain't a rookie this year, I'm not interested in him being on my team after this season.  I love the Damien Williams call, and trying to it him in beyond the one team I have.  But after this season?  

I completely believe that this is the best RB class in decades.  And that's not counting the redshirt sophs and true juniors that haven't emerged yet, and will.  

Thoughts on Alex Collins. Does he have a future?
I would hold if I had him. His combine numbers were garbage but he did produce in college. I'm on the fence with him but I'd hold him on my bench if I had him in a deep dynasty league.

Tex

No kidding, I am actually not stashing as many deep RBs because of next year's RB class.  

If a deep guy ain't a rookie this year, I'm not interested in him being on my team after this season.  I love the Damien Williams call, and trying to it him in beyond the one team I have.  But after this season?  

I completely believe that this is the best RB class in decades.  And that's not counting the redshirt sophs and true juniors that haven't emerged yet, and will.  
Out of 2017 I'm grabbing a QB, TE, and the rest will be running backs! It's deep at every position. The only reason I'm not "planning" to grab a WR at this point is because I'm already Super Loaded at the position and I already have JuJu Smith and Mike Williams so I'm not looking in that direction unless someone just falls to me.

Tex

I don't really know a lot about him, but Peyton Barber seems to be a guy I have on my roster in a lot of deeper dynasties. Martin isn't young, and I really think Simms is just a change of pace/3rd down back.

They like Rawls a lot and he is cheap.
Of course you'd know better out there, but i get the sense that 1) Rawls is going to disappoint anybody who wants a bellcow, and 2) Carroll took full advantage of the great move to get Beast Mode. but would much prefer, esp w Magic Virgin @ qb, a Reggie Bush over a Lendale White in his backfield.

They like Rawls a lot and he is cheap.
They liked Lynch too, he wasn't cheap, and that didn't stop them from taking Michaels in the 2nd or 3rd round. Given how deep at running back the 2017 class is supposed to be I could see them taking a 2nd or 3rd round back and him being the starter.

Users who are viewing this thread