What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ok Corey Washington earned his own thread (1 Viewer)

Ditka Butkus

Footballguy
I know his success has been against players that will not make the NFL...but watching his body control and route running he appears to have the talent to stick and maybe more.

Ok, due to the lack of responses I'll try and spice it up a bit.

HOF preseason game TD....beats his defender badly with a little hesitation move, ball way under thrown and Washington makes a nice adjustment and aggressive catch and run.

http://www.giants.com/videos/videos/WR-Corey-Washington-wins-jump-ball-for-73-yd-TD/3298596d-4189-45ae-87a1-00082c4f38d8

1st Preseason game TD....defender is playing him tight, both are hand fighting Washington adjusts his body and puts the defender to his back...nice box out move,,,,and makes a good catch on a contested ball.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/WR-Corey-Washington-continues-to-impress/fc4e9520-c012-4b57-ba3c-8e2c2d238552

Nothing really sticks out while watching him. He doesn't seem all that sudden or quick. His height seems to be his best attribute. The TD in the HOF game was nice - going up contested and coming down with it but again, with his height that should be expected. The TD last night was a nice catch well, but I don't know if anyone, let alone Painter, could have thrown a better pass. Would have liked to see him high point the ball better that instead of cradle it; he bobbled it a bit after he came down and a better CB may have knocked it out.

Definitely a guy to monitor, but I usually reserve spots at the end of my roster for guys that have something special that pops out in games, he just doesn't IMO.

http://nflspinzone.com/2014/08/10/giants-corey-washington-continues-impress/

Once considered a long shot to make the final 53-man roster, the un-drafted rookie receiver is continuing to turn heads. Although Washington didn’t replicate the stat sheet he had from the Hall of Fame Game, he caught what would turn out to be the game winning touchdown. The catch was impressive, as the rookie readjusted his body to locate the ball and haul in his second score of the pre-season.

The unheralded rookie is having a breakout pre-season similar to the one Victor Cruz had in 2010. By no means am I saying that Washington will definitely be the next Cruz, mind you. What I am saying is that after two pre-season games, Washington seems to be a lock to make the final roster.

At 6’4″, the rookie out of the miniscule Newberry college is the tallest wide receiver that the Giants have, and he can be a very scary red zone option for Eli Manning. Washington also has 4.5 speed, which is rare for a man of his stature

I posted in the Giants team thread about him this morning

You have seen the two TD’s in the preseason games but he has also been performing well in practice

I would like to see him get a chance to perform against better competition so we can see what he can do. At 5’8” Jerrnigan isn’t going to cut it on the outside. Beckham is going to return to practice today

I’m not sure what Washington brings in terms of special teams and there are other WR that are doing well (Harris comes to mind) but I think he has earned a bit more playing time against better competition.

Love his size speed combo that is for sure

I posted in the Giants team thread about him this morning

You have seen the two TD’s in the preseason games but he has also been performing well in practice

I would like to see him get a chance to perform against better competition so we can see what he can do. At 5’8” Jerrnigan isn’t going to cut it on the outside. Beckham is going to return to practice today

I’m not sure what Washington brings in terms of special teams and there are other WR that are doing well (Harris comes to mind) but I think he has earned a bit more playing time against better competition.

Love his size speed combo that is for sure
Thanks for the info :thumbup:

He's done everything he's been given the chance to do. He has caught all 4 targets and 2 of them have been for TD's. Obviously a very small sample size, but you can't ask anything more from him. Like Yenrub said, I think he has earned the opportunity to see some more snaps and even with the 1st stringers (especially if OBJ doesn't play this week).

The problem is that it will be tough for him to crack the starting lineup...assuming he makes the team. Either Randle or OBJ would really have to bust or there would have to be an injury for him to see regular season snaps.

Definitely a guy worth keeping an eye on or using your last bench spot on to see what he does this week. He currently just replaced Adrien Robinson in my last spot since it looks like the team has given up on him.

He's done everything he's been given the chance to do. He has caught all 4 targets and 2 of them have been for TD's. Obviously a very small sample size, but you can't ask anything more from him. Like Yenrub said, I think he has earned the opportunity to see some more snaps and even with the 1st stringers (especially if OBJ doesn't play this week).

The problem is that it will be tough for him to crack the starting lineup...assuming he makes the team. Either Randle or OBJ would really have to bust or there would have to be an injury for him to see regular season snaps.

Definitely a guy worth keeping an eye on or using your last bench spot on to see what he does this week. He currently just replaced Adrien Robinson in my last spot since it looks like the team has given up on him.
I've heard Randle is still struggling with the plays and being on the same page as Eli in practice......Is there any truth to that?

I've heard Randle is still struggling with the plays and being on the same page as Eli in practice......Is there any truth to that?
I haven't heard that, but that's not to say it's not true. I actually haven't heard anything negative about Randle since OTAs started.

I believe all the talk about struggling with the playbook and being on the same page with Eli was from last year. That was a different offense and all the WR's and even Eli have come out and said that this new offense should be easier since there are less reads and changes to the play at the line of scrimmage. There was a lot of disconnect last year and the hope with Randle was that it was just because of last years offense and that will be gone this year.

That being said, I don't see why Coughlin or the Giants feel like Randle should be locked into the starting job unless he really under-performs. Yes he was an earlier round pick a few years ago but I think that early round special treatment only lasts so long before you're just another guy competing for the team. Washington is a rookie, but everyone is new to this offense so it's the first year for all the WRs. I think Randle is given the starting nod by default because he's a veteran but I don't think he's glued in there if someone else is looking good.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/08/ryan_nassib_bumped_to_third_string_giving_curtis_painter_backup_reps_giants_training_camp_report.html

Corey Washington made two more spectacular catches today. The lanky 6'4" 214 undrafted free agent has had game winning touchdowns in each of his first two preseason games and continues to standout in practice. Washington's deep ball catches were against Zack Bowman and Prince Amukamara too.

"He's been on of those kids, you throw it up, he goes and gets it. That was good" Coughlin said

I really want to see OBJ get out there this weekend and play some snaps. But if he can't, I see no reason why the team wouldn't push Washington out there with the 1s for some snaps. At this point, I think we've determined Randle isn't really that special of a player. Washington could become a beast of a Red Zone threat with Cruz and OBJ being the 1 and 2 with Washington coming in on 3 wide sets and sliding Cruz into the slot. Eli misses having a Plaxico type of player, I think Washington could be that guy if he can refine some of the other skills like his route running and stuff. But from the clips out of camp and the first two games it sounds like the kid has the whole mid-air adjustment thing down.

I would really love to see him get a look against the 2nd stringers this week (at the least). He has a different height/weight combo than any of the other Giants WR's. You would think they would want to see him play against the 1's and 2's because of this, both for roster and/or matchup determinations during the course of the season.

I would really love to see him get a look against the 2nd stringers this week (at the least). He has a different height/weight combo than any of the other Giants WR's. You would think they would want to see him play against the 1's and 2's because of this, both for roster and/or matchup determinations during the course of the season.
No kidding what is the worst that can happen the Qb's go 2 for 16 of their first 18 throws? Maybe Washington can catch some of the errant throws I've seen.

Only thing that would suck about Washington running with the 1st team is that he'd have Eli throwing him the ball.

*sigh*

"Giants undrafted WRs Corey Washington and Marcus Harris are expected to get some work with the first-team offense in Friday's fourth preseason game.

It's expected to come at the expense of Jerrel Jernigan, who is in danger of being cut. Washington has been the Giants' best receiver this summer, reeling in all seven of his targets for 116 yards and three scores. Washington is fully expected to make the 53-man roster. Harris is likely competing with Mario Manningham."

"Giants undrafted WRs Corey Washington and Marcus Harris are expected to get some work with the first-team offense in Friday's fourth preseason game.

It's expected to come at the expense of Jerrel Jernigan, who is in danger of being cut. Washington has been the Giants' best receiver this summer, reeling in all seven of his targets for 116 yards and three scores. Washington is fully expected to make the 53-man roster. Harris is likely competing with Mario Manningham."
Don't drop the ball Washington....figuratively or literally.

Ditka Butkus said:
hotboyz said:

Has he seen a target yet tonight? Been in and out, realize he doesn't have a reception just curious if he was targeted or on the field.

Ditka Butkus said:
hotboyz said:

Has he seen a target yet tonight? Been in and out, realize he doesn't have a reception just curious if he was targeted or on the field.
Yahoo boxscore shows no targets for him as of yet.

Guess who just caught what is most likely the last TD of the game again?

He's like a super hero that is really really good at one thing and nothing else.

He's like a super hero that is really really good at one thing and nothing else.
Wasn't able to see the game, but he supposedly (per comments on twitter) just missed another TD earlier.

Is he the next Cris Carter? All he does is catch touchdowns
When asked after the game how Washington felt about scoring the TD, he replied "Not good. I only like catching game winning touchdowns and we already had the lead when I caught this one. Oh well, there's always next week!"

Disclaimer: Not a real quote.

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN

The Giants have placed S Cooper Taylor and WR Marcus Harris on season-ending injured reserve.

Harris being out of the picture (a IR stash maybe?) should help Washington a bit more.

They were both looking very good.

Also, Tom has some good things to say about him (Rotoworld's take is included FWIW):

(Rotoworld)Giants coach Tom Coughlin said undrafted WR Corey Washington has played in "superb fashion" and that "certainly gets your attention."

Analysis: Washington has put together a strong preseason, and has a touchdown in four straight games. He should be a lock for a roster spot. Washington could push for snaps in red-zone and four-wide packages.

With Beckham moving to the slot now, I think he'll get some chances. Parker is the "starter" in 3WR sets but unless he tears it up right from the beginning I think they'll give Washington some chances.

He's no different than any other low drafted or undrafted player, he's going to have very limited opportunities so he has to make a big impact on those opportunities.

Rotoworld:

Giants WRs coach Sean Ryan says Corey Washington remains "a work in progress."
"He's learning to run an entire route tree," Ryan said when asked why Washington isn't playing. "There is growing to be done with Corey. He works on his releases, his routes, his top of the breaks, getting out of those -- things he needs to improve on." At 6'4/214, Washington is merely a Dynasty stash and watch-list candidate. With Odell Beckham and Rueben Randle expected to see increased reps in the slot with Victor Cruz out, Washington could see a few snaps on the outside.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Oct 22 - 4:57 PM

i saw something a week or two ago. i think it was one of the beat reporters answering a mailbag. anyway, the question came up about Washington and why isn't he being brought along. this was around Cruz's injury maybe.

anyway, to paraphrase the comments from the beat guy - Vacchio, i think it was - were to the effect that nothing should be expected this year. the learning curve for Washington was pretty steep as he came from the small school. however, he said that the Giants still believed in him and obvious need for his skillset. it gave me the distinct impression that he was a situation to be monitored once the season was over. it seems unlikely that he'll get much burn right now.

i saw something a week or two ago. i think it was one of the beat reporters answering a mailbag. anyway, the question came up about Washington and why isn't he being brought along. this was around Cruz's injury maybe.

anyway, to paraphrase the comments from the beat guy - Vacchio, i think it was - were to the effect that nothing should be expected this year. the learning curve for Washington was pretty steep as he came from the small school. however, he said that the Giants still believed in him and obvious need for his skillset. it gave me the distinct impression that he was a situation to be monitored once the season was over. it seems unlikely that he'll get much burn right now.
I agree......It would take another injury for Washington to see the field..and that is only if they don't bring in a veteran free agent.

So how do Giants fans feel about Washington moving forward? No doubt dynasty stash, right? But will grandpa give him a chance to win PT next preseason, or is he doomed to the bench until he plays better on special teams (which makes no sense BTW)?

Users who are viewing this thread