What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Logan Thomas, Free Agent (2 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
Logan Thomas, Cards rookie QB, rejects 'project' label

By Kevin Patra

Around the League writer

Published: May 17, 2014 at 10:15 a.m.

Updated: May 17, 2014 at 06:51 p.m.

Most quarterbacks taken on Day 3 of the draft are deemed "projects" by NFL teams. Arizona Cardinals rookie Logan Thomas, a fourth-round pick, however, rejects that term.

"I think I'm a lot more ready than people think," he said Friday, per the Associated Press. "I think people labeled me as a project simply off stats, which I can understand what they see, what they think."

Thomas said people use the word project when "you're thinking of building something from the ground up," and believes his issues aren't so deep.

The 6-foot-6, 248-pound Thomas pointed to his offseason work where he began the process of correcting mechanical mistakes. Still, scouts see him as a raw athlete with a long road to playing quarterback in the NFL.

"He's got 25 or 30 (game) tapes out there," NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock said last week. "Twenty-three of them are bad."

Following the draft, Around The League's Chris Wesseling dissected when to expect this year's rookie quarterbacks to make their first start. The esteemed seer has so little faith in Thomas that he predicted Thomas would eventually be converted to tight end. (Ouch.)

Thomas knows he won't get a shot to play in 2014 -- he'll fight for a roster spot behind Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton -- and said he hopes to get his chance in Arizona down the road.

Thomas might not like the tag, but he is the definition of a quarterback project.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" plays the post-draft version of the game "What's More Likely" and breaks down all the latest news.

Last edited:
Evaluating the Arizona Cardinals after off-season workKent Somers, azcentral sports

Excerpt:

Quarterback Logan Thomas, the fourth-rounder, has an incredibly strong arm. But he doesn't always know where the ball is going. He's as advertised: athletically talented and bright. But not that many quarterback become more accurate in the NFL than they were in college. Receivers aren't as open and there isn't nearly as much room for error.

Thoughts from a week spent at the NFL combineBruce Feldman

Excerpt:

As I wrote a month ago, Virginia Tech QB Logan Thomas is a fascinating case for NFL personnel people. Thomas actually didn't have much quarterbacking experience before arriving in Blacksburg. He was recruited as a tight end. He had a terrific sophomore year but was shaky the past two years as the skill talent around him declined. His accuracy is suspect, as is his decision-making. His physical tools and size are jaw-dropping as NFL folks now can attest. At 6-feet-6 and 250 pounds, he had the fastest 40 among all the QBs (4.61), the best vertical (35.5 inches), longest broad-jump (9-10) and also most velocity on his throws (60 mph ... Pitt's Tom Savage was next at 57 mph I'm told). Having spent a lot of time around Thomas for the past two months for my upcoming QB book, I've found him very easy-going and likable. Of course, the latter two impressions don't necessarily mean he'll impress NFL brass who are looking for presence and confidence in their QB prospects. Still, Thomas as a developmental project will be very tempting for some NFL teams I suspect.

Logan Thomas not the only QB teams are eyeing as a tight endBy Bryan Fischer

Excerpt:

Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas is a divisive prospect as a signal-caller but continues to intrigue teams with his 6-foot-6, 248-pound frame and 4.61 40-yard dash. Most consider him a likely third-day selection if a team is looking for a developmental quarterback, but a few clubs could be interested in moving him to tight end, as well.

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah said on Monday's edition of Path to the Draft that he's heard several teams actually do have Thomas listed as a tight end on their draft boards and have even mentioned the possibility of the move if he winds up being drafted by them.

It's not terribly surprising teams are thinking about moving him considering Thomas was Rivals' top-ranked tight end coming out of high school. He did have a successful career in high school under center, and though he was slated to become a tight end when he arrived at Virginia Tech, he continued to work out as a quarterback for the Hokies from the start.

"I grew up picturing myself as a receiver," Thomas actually told CBS Sports back in 2012.

Analyst: QB Thomas further along than Cam Newton was in '11By Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas is a work in progress, but still is further along as a natural passer than Cam Newton was heading into the 2011 NFL Draft.

That's the opinion shared by NFL Films producer Greg Cosell in a piece he wrote for Yahoo Sports.

Newton, of course, was the No. 1 overall pick in the '11 draft after leading Auburn to the '10 national championship, and he guided the Carolina Panthers to the playoffs last season. Thomas is seen by most analysts as a potential third-day (Rounds 4-7) draft pick.

Cosell calls Thomas "the best thrower in the 2014 draft class." He writes that Thomas has "somewhat scattershot accuracy" but also made "a significant number of throws that few, if any, of the quarterbacks in this draft can make."

Cosell says the same was said of Newton, whom he described as "an erratic passer who frustrated and thrilled."

In addition, Cosell writes that "Thomas also lacks touch on shorter throws" -- and that Newton had the same issue.

"Here's the reality, which to many is inconceivable given the negative perception of Thomas and Newton's relative success in the NFL after three seasons: Thomas is further along as a natural passer than Newton was at the equivalent point in time, having played more games in college and learning an offense with far more complexities than Newton's Auburn offense," Cosell writes.

Cosell also writes Thomas has "an outstanding arm capable of making every NFL throw with little effort. ... Those quarterbacks do not come along in every draft. It makes Thomas the most intriguing quarterback prospect in this class."

No one doubts that Thomas is an intriguing prospect. He's a big guy (6-foot-6, 248 pounds) with great athleticism and a huge arm. But it's interesting that Pittsburgh's Tom Savage and SMU's Garrett Gilbert -- two other quarterbacks known more for their size and strong arms than their production -- are said to be ascending on draft boards, but not Thomas, who has far more tape than either of those guys.

That's the thing: Thomas' tape is maddeningly inconsistent. Arm strength never has been an issue. But every other thing that comes with playing quarterback has been an issue, from his mechanics to his decision-making to his accuracy. While he was a three-year starter for the Hokies who threw for 9,005 yards and 53 touchdowns, he also tossed 39 interceptions and completed just 55.6 percent of his passes.

In addition, his best season came in '11, when he was a sophomore. He seemed to regress as a junior and senior, two seasons in which he had a combined 10 games in which he completed fewer than 53 percent of his passes and seven outings in which he completed fewer than 50 percent.

Cosell is right: Virginia Tech's offense was more complex than the spread offense Newton ran in '10 at Auburn. Newton's completion percentage, though, was 66.1 percent and he tossed 30 TD passes and just seven picks. He had six games that season in which he completed at least 70 percent of his passes. In three seasons as a starter, Thomas completed 70 percent of his passes in three games.

To be fair, completion percentage is a tricky stat because of the differences in offensive schemes -- the spread is all about getting players in 1-on-1 matchups in space -- and the differences in competency among receivers (Thomas didn't exactly play with top-level wide receivers at Virginia Tech). At the same time, it's hard for receivers to make catches when the ball is sailing over their head or sailing behind them -- and if you watch Thomas' tape, you see a lot of those occurrences.

Newton also benefited from better offensive coaches than Thomas.

Thomas' physical attributes are noteworthy -- NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah said Monday on NFL Network's "Path to the Draft" that he has been told several teams have Thomas listed as a tight end on their board and have spoken to him about playing the position. Thus, that seemingly means there are a few teams that have seen Thomas' film and decided he can't be an NFL quarterback.

Yes, Thomas has an intriguing skill set. But it's also going to take a Herculean effort by an offensive coordinator and/or quarterback coach to turn him into an effective NFL starting quarterback. Even Cosell acknowledges that, saying Thomas "may never become a high-level NFL starter. I'm certainly not suggesting it's a given."

Actually, an effective starter, high-level starter and plain old starter are three different things -- and Thomas becoming anything more than a plain old starter would seem to be asking too much.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Thomas is draft's most intriguing developmental QB option

By Bucky Brooks

Excerpt:

If I had to pick a mid-to-late round quarterback prospect to draft and develop, I would invest my time and effort into Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas.

Now, I know there are plenty of skeptics who believe the former Hokie is better suited for a position change at the next level, but I believe Thomas offers more upside than nearly all of the quarterbacks being discussed as developmental prospects in this year's class. In fact, I would take Thomas over Pittsburgh's Tom Savage and SMU's Garrett Gilbert because he is more talented, athletic and experienced than those players, who are two of the fastest risers on the board at the position.

Of course, the naysayers will point to Thomas' maddeningly inconsistent tape and scattershot accuracy as reasons for bypassing the Virginia Tech standout, but I would point out that the NFL is a developmental league. Thus, I'm more concerned with Thomas' natural talent, athleticism and football IQ as a possible late-round pick. Measuring 6-foot-6 and 248 pounds, Thomas is an impressive athlete with physical traits that are comparable to 2011 No. 1 overall pick Cam Newton.

(click on the linked article to see the table)

I'm not suggesting Thomas is a playmaker of Newton's caliber, but it's important to note that several observers viewed the Virginia Tech standout as a first-round talent after his sensational sophomore year that saw him pass for 3,000-plus yards with a 19:10 touchdown-to-interception ratio, while tallying 11 rushing touchdowns. The big-bodied playmaker was so impressive guiding the Hokies' offense during the season that most expected him to challenge for the top overall spot in the 2013 draft, if he played up to his potential as a junior.

Although Thomas didn't match the production or performance of his breakout season in subsequent years, he isn't a throwaway at the position based on his arm talent, athleticism and developmental potential. He flashed promise running a more traditional offense in 2013, exhibiting improved pocket presence and anticipation directing a vertical passing attack. Sure, there were plenty of questionable decisions and inaccurate throws, but every quarterback viewed as a Day 3 (Rounds 4-7) prospect has warts on their respective games. Thus, a patient quarterback coach adept at polishing footwork and fundamentals could clean up Thomas' game and help the big-bodied playmaker develop into a quality starter down the road.

This is the same argument supporters of Savage and Gilbert are making in discussions with NFL executives; it's one that Thomas' team should pitch to teams looking for an athletic backup prospect with the potential to run an offense that features zone-read concepts, traditional play-action vertical routes and movement-based passes like bootlegs and sprint outs.

(click on the linked article to see the tables)

Watching Thomas work throughout the week at the Reese's Senior Bowl, I believed he possessed enough talent to convince a team in need of a developmental prospect to take a chance on him. He showed the biggest arm of any quarterback in attendance, and flashed the ability to string together completions in 7-on-7 and team drills when he trusted his reads and progressions.

After witnessing his significant improvement as a passer under the watchful eye of an NFL staff, I consulted with noted QB guru George Whitfield, Jr. about how Thomas' talent compared to some of his former pupils, including Newton and Ben Roethlisberger. He told me the Virginia Tech standout was on par with the Pro Bowlers from a physical standpoint and just needed some seasoning to become a viable option as a quarterback at the next level.

Looking at potential situations that would fit Thomas' skills and potential, I believe San Francisco, Carolina, Kansas City and Philadelphia would be ideal spots based on their experience developing young, athletic quarterbacks.

Although those aforementioned teams aren't in need of a quarterback, the opportunity to bring along an intriguing developmental prospect in a low-pressure environment could pay huge dividends down the road.

Oh, I know there has been a lot of interest and speculation about Thomas switching to tight end as a pro. Although Thomas was rated as the No. 1 tight end prospect coming out of high school in 2009, it's tough to make a position change at the NFL level. First, Thomas must fully embrace making a position change and diligently work to master the nuances of a new position on the practice field. While Thomas certainly possesses the athletic attributes to thrive at the position, he hasn't expressed a desire to make a move to tight end nor has he worked out as a tight end in public workouts. Thus, any team considering Thomas as a tight end prospect must vet the prospect to see if he would enthusiastically make the change before pulling the trigger on the Virginia Tech standout with a late-round selection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Logan Thomas Cardinals' New QB ProjectDarren Urban

azcardinals.com

Logan Thomas is anything but a lock to eventually turn into a long-term starting quarterback for the Cardinals.

On the final day of the NFL draft, though, that’s basically the point.

“When you are convinced you have the franchise quarterback, you take him in the first round,” General Manager Steve Keim said. “If you think a guy can be a franchise quarterback, you take a chance later in the draft.”

There was only one quarterback Keim thought fit that first-round bill. He wouldn’t say who, although Blake Bortles was the only quarterback taken before the Cardinals were on the clock with their first pick. From there, it was about taking that chance – which came Saturday morning with a fourth-round selection of Thomas.

Thomas is specimen you would draw up for a perfect QB. The Virginia Tech product stands 6-foot-6, weighing 250 pounds. He can run, with a 4.61-second 40 time. He has, with due respect to Peyton Manning’s one-time commercial, a laser-rocket right arm, with Cardinals coach Bruce Arians saying it’s the best arm he’s seen the last decade.Yet Thomas is a gamble, questionable to translate his game to the NFL thanks in large part to lingering accuracy issues. Even he understands the skeptics.

“Everybody is basing it on the season, and I understand that’s what’s on film,” Thomas said. “But this offseason was the chance to really be able to refine some things and I feel really, really good about it.”

Thomas’ development will be one of the Cards’ most intriguing storylines of the year, even though he is unlikely to ever play in 2014. Carson Palmer is the starting quarterback and Arians said the No. 2 spot manned by Drew Stanton “ain’t changing.” That leaves Thomas to battle with third-stringer Ryan Lindley, and Arians insisted that was no sure win for Thomas.

Then again, Arians said Friday night he was happy with his current three quarterbacks and that the Cards probably wouldn’t select a QB – only to open Saturday’s picks with Thomas.

“I lie pretty good,” Arians said with a grin.

He needed to lie because he was concerned some other team would take Thomas before the Cards were on the clock. Arians said he knew of two teams ready to take Thomas picked soon after the Cardinals. In the end, it wasn’t a problem.

“When you are talking about a developmental quarterback, and in these rounds that’s what they all are, you want a guy who’s got all the tools,” Arians said. “Outstanding intangibles, one of those guys everyone gravitates to.

“Now, is he ready to play? No.”

“You can check all the boxes,” Keim added. “Now it is up to him whether he pans out and develops.”

Thomas completed just 55.6 percent of his passes in four seasons in Blacksburg, with 53 touchdowns and 39 interceptions. As a senior, he had 16 TD passes and 13 interceptions, completing 56 percent of his passes for 2,907 yards. His best season statistically as a passer was 2011 when he completed nearly 60 percent of his throws.Some think he could be a better tight end in the NFL. It’s a position he came to Virginia Tech to play, and he actually resisted the idea of playing quarterback at first. That has changed.

“When (teams) asked me questions about (playing tight end), I was like, ‘Look, I’m a quarterback first. That’s what I want to be,’ ” Thomas said. “That’s what I’m going to be. I understand if you want a package or two that I play two or three plays a game when I’m backing somebody up and learning, if that’s what you want. But I really want to be a quarterback solely.”

Arians agreed, saying Thomas would be a quarterback. Arians took part personally in the workout the Cardinals put Thomas through at Virginia Tech back in March. Arians said Thomas was hurt by coordinator changes and a lack of offensive talent in college, and called his accuracy issues “easily correctable” with better footwork.

Thomas’ offseason has been guided with quarterback coaching guru George Whitfield, the same man who coached Cam Newton, Andrew Luck and Johnny Manziel in their preparations before their drafts. His footwork has been at the forefront of that process, along with adding touch on the passes coming from his big right arm.

Thomas said he was hoping to come to Arizona. He liked his interaction with Arians and quarterbacks coach Freddie Kitchens during his workout, and he likes Arians’ history with working with quarterbacks like Ben Roethlisberger, who has similar physical traits.

“It kind of shows he’s willing to work with a guy and build him up and create him pretty much a monster in the way they play football,” Thomas said. “I couldn’t have gone into a better situation.”

Arizona Cardinals Rookie QB Logan Thomas is a Work in Progress

June 17th, 2014 at 5:06 AM

By Steve Smith

The Arizona Cardinals drafted quarterback Logan Thomas in the fourth round of this year's NFL Draft with an eye towards tomorrow.

The Virginia Tech product may be the Red Birds' starting signal-caller of the future. Time will tell.

Thomas has been impressive so far during team OTA's and rookie minicamp. The 6-foot-6 quarterback has been far from perfect but it's not hard to see that Thomas is very talented. He has a strong, live arm but must work on his accuracy issues.

Thomas is working hard on that aspect of his profile. He's putting in the work.

He'll have good days and bad. It's all part of the learning process as stated by Arizona head coach Bruce Arians via espn.com:

"He (Thomas) has all the talent in the world. It's processing information and getting the ball out of his hand. And that's experience."

Thomas took about 25 percent of the snaps during Cardinals OTA's and the vast majority of the snaps during rookie minicamp. Being able to take so many snaps was a huge benefit to Thomas. You can never get enough reps.

"It means a ton because you get to see multiple different things that you don't normally get to see, " Thomas said via espn.com. "I get two snaps every five reps (during OTA's) and here (at rookie minicamp) I get every one of them, so it's very nice to be able to have that chance to see things."

Logan Thomas learning with steady reps

By Josh Weinfuss | ESPN.com

May 23, 2014

TEMPE, Ariz. – Some of Logan Thomas' passes during the Cardinals' rookie minicamp Friday were darts.

They hit receivers in stride, whether it was from 5 or 30 yards. But some of Thomas’ passes sailed high, wide, low and wobbly.

All of them, however, were seen in person by the entire Arizona Cardinals’ staff. For the first time since the drafted rookies and undrafted free agents convened here last week, they, along with 17 tryout players, had the full attention of the coaching staff.

During the three-day organized team activity earlier this week, the rookies were relegated to the Cardinals’ second practice field, where they were able to get reps but away from the live eyes of Arians, who watched them on tape after practice.

For Thomas, who Arians said got 25 percent of the snaps during OTAs, rookie minicamp was a chance to take the majority of the snaps.

“It means a ton just because you get to see multiple different things that you don’t normally get to see,” Thomas said. “I get two snaps every five reps [during OTAs] and here I got every one of them, so it’s very nice to be able to have that chance to see things.”

Arians said he was impressed with a few of the tryout players, enough to say they had a chance to unseat a few of the rookies.

With the entire staff watching, that meant the coaches saw the good, the bad and the ugly.

“A couple [of tryout] guys caught my eye that may look better in these two practices than the guys who’ve been here for eight days,” Arians said. “We’ll swap them out. That’s the cold part of the business. Every single day you’re being evaluated, and learning is one of the things I put the most premium on.

“If you can’t learn it by now, the basic stuff and you’ve been here eight days, you’re probably not going to be able to learn it because the volume is just going to get bigger.”

Arians acknowledged how difficult it is for the rookies to only have about a week’s worth of time learning the offense before trying to run it full speed. That includes Thomas, the Cardinals’ fourth-round pick out of Virginia Tech, whose accuracy fluctuated at times. Some plays weren’t his fault, while other times the ball seemed to get away from the 6-foot-6 signal-caller.

Thomas’ first full-team drills were two run plays then he progressed into passes. A few were behind receivers while others were out of reach. Thomas, however, showed the poise of a veteran while throwing the ball away when nothing was open. He also fumbled a snap.

“When he knows what he’s doing and the guys around him know what they’re doing, he’s pretty good,” Arians said. “Biggest thing for him is try not to, as you’re dropping back, decide where you’ll throw. Get back there. It takes him too long to get back, and then he’s ready to throw but his feet aren’t there yet. Get back, move your feet. He has all the talent in the world.

“It’s processing information and getting the ball out of his hand. And that’s experience.”

Rotoworld:

Logan Thomas - QB - Cardinals

Cardinals rookie QB Logan Thomas completed 11-of-12 passes for 113 yards and a touchdown against the Texans.

Thomas did all his damage against the Texans' third-string unit, but it was an impressive display of precision from a player who struggled with accuracy during his college career. It was only one performance, but it appears Thomas is headed in the right direction.

Aug 9 - 11:43 PM

That stat line caught my eye... Arians may end up a bit of a passing game savant when we all look back on his career. Good place for Thomas to develop...

That stat line caught my eye... Arians may end up a bit of a passing game savant when we all look back on his career. Good place for Thomas to develop...
No kidding. It looked like Roethlisberger had switched uniforms with Thomas.

Kent Somers is a well-respected reporter. If nothing else, I would begin the conversation by taking what he reports as credible. §

Thomas has a ton of physical ability. He's an exceptional athlete who could realistically play TE or some other position in the NFL. He's got a cannon for an arm and can make all the throws. He's never been able to get his footwork down and tries to throw with his arm alone too much. His accuracy and decision making are, or have been, major problems. If he can learn to play the position with more technical soundness he's got potential to be a starter in the league. That's asking an awful lot from him given where's he's at IMO but it's certainly within possibility.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ron Jaworski believes Logan Thomas was the most impressive rookie quarterback in last week's preseason games.

Operating against the Texans' third- and fourth-stringers, Thomas completed 11-of-12 passes for 113 yards with a touchdown. Overreacting to this would mean ignoring three years of erratic tape from Virginia Tech, but it's certainly notable for Dynasty purposes. The uniquely athletic Thomas looks the part at 6'6/250 and Carson Palmer will turn 35 in December.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Aug 13 - 11:57 AM

Ketamine Dreams said:
Something to see here, or no?
yeah, I dunno Personally Ive watched a lot of youtube of his play, and truly blame quite a bit of the bad rep on his WR's. Now Im no expert to say "that Pick was on the QB" Or "That WR gave up on the play/didn't fight for possession"..

Im really just saying that if you go watch the tape w/ a positive attitude, that I believe youll agree that he plays well.

Id say w/ the weapons available, that its almost scary!

Now if you only listen to the positive reviews, I believe hes worth your time to follow. "He can make every NFL throw"

There is nothing to see here. The Cards are in a world of trouble if this is their QB. While the blind squirrel did find a nut with the lucky pas to Ellington, 99 out of 100, that is either incomplete or going the other way. He's so inaccurate that tiny John Brown is completely neutralized. Sadly with Calvin hurt, it looks like I have to start Brown and can only hope for a busted play that sends Brown deep and this bum runs around and then chucks it to him.

Could be a desperation play against Washington week six??? Sounds like his college career was not too special but he has some physical gifts a la Kaepernick

Ketamine Dreams said:
Something to see here, or no?
yeah, I dunno Personally Ive watched a lot of youtube of his play, and truly blame quite a bit of the bad rep on his WR's. Now Im no expert to say "that Pick was on the QB" Or "That WR gave up on the play/didn't fight for possession"..

Im really just saying that if you go watch the tape w/ a positive attitude, that I believe youll agree that he plays well.

Id say w/ the weapons available, that its almost scary!

Now if you only listen to the positive reviews, I believe hes worth your time to follow. "He can make every NFL throw"
I have him on two dynasty teams simply because his potential makes up for the 99% chance he won't pan out.

This is probably too early for him unfortunately. An athletic project starting 6 weeks in is not exactly a recipe for success. This was a guy who was drafted to develop.

I'll admit I'm intrigued. He's always had the physical tools...

Part of a Logan Thomas add to your roster is betting on Bruce Arians truly being a QB whisperer.

JFS171, on 06 Oct 2014 - 3:16 PM, said:I'll admit I'm intrigued. He's always had the physical tools...Part of a Logan Thomas add to your roster is betting on Bruce Arians truly being a QB whisperer.
Evan Silva said much the same thing on the DLF podcast. He didn't think he'd be ready for 2-3 years, however.

There go that...

Carson Palmer signs an extension:

On Friday afternoon, Mike Florio reported that the Cardinals and quarterback Carson Palmer could agree to a contract extension soon.

Soon didnt take long. The Cardinals announced a bit later on Friday afternoon that they have signed Palmer to a three-year extension through the 2017 season. .

Jason LaCanfora of CBS Sports reports the payout is $50 million, although there arent any details about how the deal is structured in terms of guaranteed money and injury protection at this point. Palmer could have become a free agent after the season, which was apparently something the Cardinals didnt want to risk.

Palmers season was interrupted by an injured nerve in his right shoulder, but hes played well since being back in the lineup and has posted his best numbers since his early days in Cincinnati. Palmers first year in Arizona got off to a rocky start, but hes thrown 25 touchdowns and 10 interceptions while the Cardinals have gone 11-2 in his starts since the midpoint of the 2013 season.

With Palmer off the market, Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer stands as the most attractive of the potential free agent quarterbacks. His record as a starter over the last two years is almost as good as Palmers, which will make for some interesting decisions in Cleveland if things keep going well for him over the remainder of the season.

How damning is it that he's being benched still in favor of Ryan Lindley, who the entire world knows is awful... wow.

How damning is it that he's being benched still in favor of Ryan Lindley, who the entire world knows is awful... wow.
Basically says the Logan Thomas should not be in an NFL uniform. Pretty much like I said in October.

It says he's no where near ready. It says he's a project. That in the game situation they felt Lindley had the best opportunity to not screw it up. If stanton's out for a few weeks though I think they may give Thomas a shot and tailor the offense around his legs. Can't see Lindley having enough upside to win a game from start to finish.

Rotoworld:

Coach Bruce Arians said the Cardinals could have a package of plays for Logan Thomas as the quarterback in Week 16 against the Seahawks.

The Cardinals are going to have to pull out all the stops to try and get by until Drew Stanton (knee) returns -- if he returns at all. Ryan Lindley and Thomas are all they have. Thomas has the bigger arm and loads more talent, but isn't NFL-ready, while Lindley has at least made starts at this level and could try to manage his way through the game. Avoid the entire Arizona passing attack in Week 16.

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter

Dec 14 - 8:44 PM

Rotoworld:

Speaking Monday, coach Bruce Arians confirmed the Cardinals are "leaning" towards starting Logan Thomas against the 49ers.

Drew Stanton (knee) isn't ready and Ryan Lindley has looked completely overwhelmed, so Arians doesn't have much of a choice as the Cards jockey for playoff seeding. Arians did say Thomas would have to practice well to earn the nod, and that he'd be on a short leash on Sunday. Stanton is hardly a capable NFL quarterback, but the Cards will be one-and-done in the playoffs if he isn't ready to go.

Related: Drew Stanton, Ryan Lindley

Source: Darren Urban on Twitter

Dec 22 - 2:12 PM

Rotoworld:

Speaking Wednesday, coach Bruce Arians said there are "no plans on how long" starting QB Logan Thomas plays at San Francisco Sunday.

On Tuesday night, Arians said Thomas will at least play the first half. Now he's not even guaranteeing that. The bottom line is that the very raw Thomas will be on an extremely short leash and his range of production is vast. Even at minimum price on some DFS sites, it's very hard to trust Thomas in this spot.

Source: ESPN.com

Dec 25 - 10:19 AM

Rotoworld:

Speaking Wednesday, coach Bruce Arians said there are "no plans on how long" starting QB Logan Thomas plays at San Francisco Sunday.

On Tuesday night, Arians said Thomas will at least play the first half. Now he's not even guaranteeing that. The bottom line is that the very raw Thomas will be on an extremely short leash and his range of production is vast. Even at minimum price on some DFS sites, it's very hard to trust Thomas in this spot.

Source: ESPN.com

Dec 25 - 10:19 AM
Reports are now that he had a bad week of practice and is benched.

Rotoworld:

The Cardinals plan to get Logan Thomas "a ton of reps" this offseason.

"He's going to get a ton of work," Bruce Arians said. "We drafted him for two years from now, not November." The Cardinals need to find out what they have in Thomas, who should open the season behind injury-prone QBs Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton. He struggled on limited snaps in 2014, and was passed over for Ryan Lindley in two late-season starts. Thomas won't prevent the Cardinals from drafting a long-term answer at quarterback.

Source: azcardinals.com
Mar 27 - 8:07 PM

Users who are viewing this thread