What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Alfred Blue - RB Houston merged thread (1 Viewer)

loose circuits

Footballguy
I always thought Alfred Blue got kind of a raw deal in college. Just as he started to breakout he tore up his ACL. By the time he came back, Jeremy Hill had taken the job and ran with it. The kid doesn't have a lot of tread on the tires and reminds me of a poor man's Arian Foster with soft hands and decisive cuts. Seems like the Texans are a perfect fit for him and he only has Andre Brown to beat out to become the 2nd string RB behind a back coming off a back injury. Brown also has his own health issues. I'm sure Blue wasn't 100% recovered last year and you can see a significant difference in explosion from his previous years. Doesn't it take most RB's over a year to completely recover from that type of injury?

Having said all that, so far he's been a waiver add and a 5th round pick in my 2 12 team dynasty leagues and both by me. I'm not sure why he's so cheap. To me, there seems to be a lot of untapped potential here and a pretty good situation for that to happen.

It does seem like many close to the Texans believe that Blue could compete for #2 duties: http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog/2014/05/31/sott-mailbag-houston-texans-week-1-otas-edition/

<title edited by FBG Mod to help with searching>

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought he looked terrific. The Tigers always had a surfeit of great RBs too, it wasn't just Hill.

I agree, anyone looking for a deep sleeper should put him on their list.

If nothing else, I am not sure why he is going undrafted and Storm Johnson is going above RBs drafted in the 3rd or 4th round.

Texans coach Bill OBrien joked Wednesday hes not ready to place rookie running back Alfred Blue in the Pro Bowl. But its clear after rookie minicamp and the initial two days of OTAs the Texans are impressed with their sixth-round pick from Louisiana State.Arian Foster is the Texans primary runner but is coming off midseason back surgergy. The 6-foot-2, 222-pound Blue is competing with Andre Brown and Dennis Johnson, among others, for backup time.

Hes doing pretty well. Hes a guy that came in here as a talented young player that has shown us early on very early now, OK? So were not sending him off to the Pro Bowl just yet, OBrien said at NRG Stadium. But hes able to learn and hes got some instincts and he so far he seems like a good team guy. Ive enjoyed being around him.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/05/rookie-rb-alfred-blue-making-strong-first-impression/#23724101=0

with report that Andre Brown is ticketed for a 2 down thumper role, seems like Blue could be versatile like Foster will be used and his direct back-up. or will Dennis Johnson be used more like Kevin Faulk/Woodhead used to be if Foster goes down?

"He was absolutely a steal," Miles said Wednesday a Houston Touchdown Club Luncheon. "He will play special teams snaps, start to finish. I think you guys will love him."

The 6th-round ball-carrier averaged 5.9 yards a pop in his career for the Tigers, and played in 40 career games. He only started seven during his time in Baton Rouge, but Miles doesn't doubt that he'll be an impact player in Houston.

"Alfred Blue will be a great addition to the team," Miles said. "One, he's a very bright player. A very talented guy. Two years ago when we started the season, he may well have been the finest back in

slideshow-icon.png
VIEW GALLERY | 25 Photos
Draft Picks: Rounds 6-7
our conference."

Blue was off to a stellar 2012, cracking the 100-yard mark against North Texas and Washington. But a knee injury in a Week 3 win over Idaho ended his season, and he finished with 270 yards on 40 carries.

"He took some time to rebound off the injury," Miles said. "But his speed is very good. His ball skills are great. He will run aggressively."
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Les-Miles-Texans-get-steal-in-RB-Alfred-Blue/5885a0de-02ef-46f1-92fb-a5b1bec4a657

Rotoworld:

Sixth-round pick Alfred Blue is competing for the Texans' No. 2 running back job.
Andre Brown remains the favorite to back up Arian Foster, but Blue would likely be part of a committee if Foster went down. Foster will be used in an every-down role provided he stays healthy. Even if Blue loses out, he should be a lock to make the 53-man roster. Dennis Johnson and Jonathan Grimes are the Texans' only other running backs.

Source: ESPN.com

(on how Alfred Blue has picked up the other aspects of being a running back) “Good. Yeah, I’ve been impressed with his football knowledge. It hasn’t always been perfect, but he’s a big guy. Football is very, very important to him. He’s good on special teams. I think he’s done a decent job of running the football. He’s been out there every day, which is big. Been out there every single day. That helps him. He’s just got to keep improving every single day.”
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Day-6-of-Training-Camp/ecf33f15-ace6-4da4-b77a-a9797b3a1bea

9. Alfred Blue did some nice things on Saturday. He made one catch, in particular, that was impressive. Bill O’Brien wants his running backs to be able to catch the football and Blue showed off his hands, at one point fully extending to grab an errant throw. The more impressive Blue looks, the less the Texans will need Andre Brown, the veteran of the backups. Where we’ll really want to see Blue is when the team puts on full pads and has some live sessions. If he can block, he might win that backup job away from Brown.
http://www.csnhouston.com/football-houston-texans/talk/10-observations-day-1-texans-camp

Texans rookie RB Alfred Blue tries to fill Arian Foster’s shoes:

http://blog.chron.co...oes/#26934101=0

He must be rostered in all leagues right? Hammys are bad and we know Houston has some experience with them, do they hold Foster out longer?

He got stuffed at the goalline. If he can put those in, he will salvage some value. Overall he didn't look all that impressive (minus his 50 yarder). But first heavy load, things should improve. With bye weeks and all the injuries, he has to be an option.

Okay so I have a problem - the whole fantasy season we've been told by certain FBG guru's to stash players like Alfred Blue incase the starter goes down.

Here we are week 11 - Foster is unlikely to play and now all I am hearing is don't start Blue!!!

I'm kinda peeved cause the only reason I've been carrying him is because FBG content has been touting him as a great stash.

Thoughts?

I was wondering about this too ... I know nothing about this guy. Can we expect anything close to typical Arian?

Only people saying dont start him are on this forum, most "professional" experts are saying he is a mid range rb2 if foster is out. Run friendly offense, he can catch passes, and will have the whole workload to himself. He isnt foster by any means, but he's a better start than 90% of the other rbs out there stuck in rbbc, have tough matchups, or coming back from injuries.

Cleveland has been a little bit better of late against the run and there are some folks saying that the Browns will stack the box to try and dare Mallett to beat them.

He's the clear back on his team which is a plus - any random play where Houston ends up with the ball at 2-yard line could easily convert into a TD for him.

There's worse starts out there for sure. There's just question marks as to how much he'll really do :shrug:

Right now I have him in my lineup. I still might pull him for Greg Jennings though (or less likely Fitzgerald).

-QG

Whether or not you should start him has a ton to due with your other options but there's no doubt he's at least top 24 option based on volume alone. I mean, the expert consensus has dudes like SJax, TRich and DMAC as RB2s this week so of course Blue is going to be considered solid option. It's those who have to choose between multiple top tier options that are going to have a difficult decision. Ultimately though, think for yourself.

Different people have different views of players.

I don't think Blue has much to him that is special. If it's there, I haven't seen it yet. Perhaps a better way of putting it is, I don't expect Blue to replace Foster's production on a regular basis. It also doesn't take a stud RB to put up good numbers for a given game, so that doesn't mean he can't go have a decent or even great fantasy outing this week even if I am right about him in general.

I'll say that I am definitely focusing more on my evaluation of Blue when I post about him, than I am on his matchup against Cleveland and where that places him amongst other RBs this week.

Cleveland has been a little bit better of late against the run and there are some folks saying that the Browns will stack the box to try and dare Mallett to beat them.

He's the clear back on his team which is a plus - any random play where Houston ends up with the ball at 2-yard line could easily convert into a TD for him.

There's worse starts out there for sure. There's just question marks as to how much he'll really do :shrug:

Right now I have him in my lineup. I still might pull him for Greg Jennings though (or less likely Fitzgerald).

-QG
True, but consider....

Rushing yards against:

71 - Against the Raiders. THE RAIDERS. Third-worst rushing team in NFL.

113 - Against the Bucs. Fourth-worst.
g-yawn2.gif

86 - Gio-less Bengals that were just completely lost all game.

CLE just lost Phil Taylor, too.

-QG
I think I read somewhere that CLE lost another DL guy that was good against the run. CLE has looked better vs the run, but got run on pretty good by the following:

Bell

Ingram

Talieferro/Forsett

Denard Robinson

They held Green/Sankey/etc. in check too.

In the last 3 games they held McFadden/Rainey(sorta as he had 102 yards in the first half but nothing in the 2nd cos Lovie abandoned run)/Hill in check (where Dalton had a meltdown on that Thu night game). I am not overly impressed with that run stopping ability. I picked up Blue thinking he would not start for me, just as a depth move, but if Foster doesn't play he could be in line for 20 carries vs a def that can be run on and has had some significant injuries in the run stopping dept.

My other choices are TRich/Sims so I might be rolling with Blue. Sims is still at the show me state of his career as far as even getting carries and TRich is facing a team that could get out to a big lead or force Ind to pass to keep up. Blue seems like the pick here with Murray on bye. He is the only guy of the 3 that probably wont be splitting carries. I can only see the other two outscoring him if they score a TD and Blue does not. :shrug:

Blue or stewart?
Is there any upside with Stewart? If there is, I haven't seen it in years.At the same time though, Blue and his 3 YPC really hasn't looked good at all. Grimes looked a heck of a lot better in the preseason but he is a forgotten man here right now. I wonder how long of a leash Blue will have if he continues to be this ineffective.

The Browns' primary defensive weakness is on the ground, where Mike Pettine's unit ranks 30th in Football Outsiders' run-defense DVOA and permits 4.54 yards per carry to opposing running backs. With Arian Foster (groin) looking shaky to suit up, Alfred Blue will be in play as a flex option should Foster's name be included amongst Houston's inactives. The Texans were a run-heavy, ball-control team with Fitzpatrick under center, and I wouldn't expect that the change with Mallett at the controls, even if Foster sits. ... Third-stringer Jonathan Grimes has touched the ball just twice since Week 3. Blue is Foster's clear-cut handcuff and needs to be rostered everywhere considering Arian's brittle body. Although Foster has dominated on the field, he's battled hamstring, groin, knee, and rib ailments over the course of the season. The Texans have one of the NFL's softest run-defense schedules down the stretch.

Blue or stewart?
Is there any upside with Stewart? If there is, I haven't seen it in years.

At the same time though, Blue and his 3 YPC really hasn't looked good at all. Grimes looked a heck of a lot better in the preseason but he is a forgotten man here right now. I wonder how long of a leash Blue will have if he continues to be this ineffective.
I guess you must have missed all the posts from EBF since 2010. :hophead:

Considering my options for my RB2 are Oliver, Sankey, Tate, or Blue, him getting the start is a gift. Now if he can get me a TD and 50 yards, I'll be happy.

Hopefully you guys were paying attention...too bad I sold him for a 4th in one of my leagues during cutdown time. Much more valuable now.

Thanks Faust for bumping this thread and not the other one that came after!!!

Users who are viewing this thread