What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Adrien "The JPP of TEs" Robinson (1 Viewer)

Scoonie Pencil

Footballguy
Projections for 2014?

Floor is clearly incredibly low. What do we think his ceiling and reasonable expectations are for this season?

65-750-6?

Last edited by a moderator:
I never do projections since it would just be me pulling numbers out of my a** anyways, but I'm cautiously optimistic about this guy. Saying he is the JPP of TE's is correct. He's a freak. Hopefully his injuries last year were just a fluke. He's the ultimate high ceiling, low floor guy. Definitely worth a grab considering where he is being drafted right now.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/TE-Adrien-Robinson-ready-to-make-impact/08f67d54-b47b-405c-8afe-5058b1d17c6a

TE Adrien Robinson ready to make impactPosted May 21, 2014

Michael Eisen

TE Adrien Robinson says he is ready to take advantage of his opportunities with the Giants in 2014EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Adrien Robinson believes this will be the year he begins to add some noteworthy achievements to his NFL resume.

His first two seasons left it virtually blank. Robinson, the tight end chosen in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft, has played in only three games and did not catch a pass. In 2013, he was on the field for exactly one play all season.

This year, the Giants have a new offensive system, Robinson has a new position coach in Kevin M. Gilbride, and the team needs a tight end to step up as a reliable receiving target for Eli Manning. Robinson believes he can and will make an impact.

“It’s my third year, my weight’s down, we’ve got a new OC (offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo), new tight ends coach. Everything is fresh; it’s like a clean slate. I’m just ready to go.”

He’s certainly waited long enough. As a rookie two years ago, he missed most of the team’s spring work while completing his academic requirements at the University of Cincinnati. Robinson played catch-up all year and played briefly in just two games. Last year, he suffered a foot injury before training camp and was inactive for the first 14 games. He made his debut on the opening kickoff at Detroit on Dec. 22 and promptly sprained his ACL, sidelining him again after just a few seconds of action.

“It was just tough luck,” Robinson said. “I didn’t need surgery, I just needed rest. It was good from that standpoint.”

Asked if he was frustrated in his first two seasons, Robinson said, “Pretty frustrated, actually. Everyone wants to play as soon as they get here, but there’s nothing you can do about injuries and that pretty much took up my whole second year. I’m just moving forward from there.”

He believes playing in McAdoo’s offense will help him move quickly.

“It’s completely different,” Robinson said. “We (tight ends) move around a lot more in the backfield, different routes. I feel like it’s more fitted for the things that I’m good at. … Especially with this offense, the tight end gets a lot more looks.”

Robinson has worked hard this offseason. He played at 285 pounds last year, is down to 270 and wants to lose another five pounds, which he believes will help make him quicker running pass routes.

“I stay extra every day, stay and get extra film,” Robinson said. “I’m on the elliptical every day trying to get my weight down more, so I’m just doing a lot of things differently. I feel like I’m more mature, I’m more of a professional now, so I have that approach.”

The Giants still have Larry Donnell – who played in every game but caught just three passes last season – and have added veterans Kellen Davis and Daniel Fells and just signed rookie free agent Xavier Grimble.

But the Giants hope Robinson can become the productive multi-dimensional tight end they need in their offense.

“It’s just a huge opportunity,” Robinson said. “They laid the opportunity right in front of me. I just have to go take it and make the most of it.”

I haven't seen much of him on tape, but I'm wondering if anyone who has can comment on his ability to catch the ball without seeing it come out of the QBs hand. Does he have the hands to snatch a ball that's on him as he turns his head or is it likely to eat him up? I just feel like that's something Eli will get a feel for and lock on to him if he can do it, especially in the end zone.

50-500-4 would be my guess on him, although I won't be surprised if they sign Keller.
Eh, I would be... I really don't think they will sign him. Even if they do, I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson gets the nod still. Obviously, based mostly on his camp. But the Giants really liked this kid when they took him back in 2011. The reason he hasn't played yet, despite his injuries, is that he was incredibly raw coming out. He was a athletic freak "ala JPP" but he was even more raw than JPP was coming out to be honest. The guy knew how to run in a straight line and catch a football. So he's had to really learn the whole game. He was supposed to be a 6-7th round pick in that draft and Resse traded up to get him because they loved the athletic potential in him.

If they're going to give the kid a chance this is really the year to do it. I look forward to seeing him in preseason to get a better idea of what he can really do hopefully.

I don't much see the point in making projections right now for him, however... I think looking at past Giants TEs doesn't help the matter. You're going to want to look at the GB TE situations. You're probably looking at something around 50-60 receptions and 650-750 yards and anywhere from about 2-10 TDs.

I could definitely see a situation where he develops as a huge end zone target for Eli. He'll be the biggest guy on the team, if he has a good post move he could definitely take over that role for the team.\

EDIT: Also, I think it's more likely they sign Finley if he decides to stick around the NFL than Keller. The past day he's tweeted the following:

Who knows, that good news could be a contract signing with the Giants sometime today.

50-500-4 would be my guess on him, although I won't be surprised if they sign Keller.
Eh, I would be... I really don't think they will sign him. Even if they do, I wouldn't be surprised if Robinson gets the nod still. Obviously, based mostly on his camp. But the Giants really liked this kid when they took him back in 2011. The reason he hasn't played yet, despite his injuries, is that he was incredibly raw coming out. He was a athletic freak "ala JPP" but he was even more raw than JPP was coming out to be honest. The guy knew how to run in a straight line and catch a football. So he's had to really learn the whole game. He was supposed to be a 6-7th round pick in that draft and Resse traded up to get him because they loved the athletic potential in him.

If they're going to give the kid a chance this is really the year to do it. I look forward to seeing him in preseason to get a better idea of what he can really do hopefully.

I don't much see the point in making projections right now for him, however... I think looking at past Giants TEs doesn't help the matter. You're going to want to look at the GB TE situations. You're probably looking at something around 50-60 receptions and 650-750 yards and anywhere from about 2-10 TDs.

I could definitely see a situation where he develops as a huge end zone target for Eli. He'll be the biggest guy on the team, if he has a good post move he could definitely take over that role for the team.\

EDIT: Also, I think it's more likely they sign Finley if he decides to stick around the NFL than Keller. The past day he's tweeted the following:

Who knows, that good news could be a contract signing with the Giants sometime today.
I really don't know much about the kid, so I will try to be as open as possible, but could this be another Ramses Barden situation? Freak athletic ability,but little feel for the game? I don't like the fact he has been unable to see the field (not like he was playing behind Gronk and Hernandez), and I do believe he was overweight last year. While he has been in the league and on the team for a while, is he anymore prepared than an Amaro or Ebron?

I really don't know much about the kid, so I will try to be as open as possible, but could this be another Ramses Barden situation? Freak athletic ability,but little feel for the game? I don't like the fact he has been unable to see the field (not like he was playing behind Gronk and Hernandez), and I do believe he was overweight last year. While he has been in the league and on the team for a while, is he anymore prepared than an Amaro or Ebron?
Oh, it's easily possible. More guys some into this league as freak athletes and leave as nobodies than the amount that actually make an impact.

He was drafted in 2012 but he was behind Martellus Bennett so obviously, he wasn't really slated to see much work. Then in 2013 they went out and signed Myers to a new deal. And Robinson was also hurt most of the year if I recall correctly. I think he had a midfoot sprain that he suffered in preseason.

And asking if he's more prepared than Amaro or Ebron seems a little silly to me. No, probably not. Those guys were also hot prospects who came out of college with great numbers and measurables. Adrien Robinson came out of Cincinnati with 12 receptions, 183 yards and 3 TD in his senior year while playing in 13 games. He was drafted purely for his physical ability and ceiling possibilities.

Like when I say he was raw, I mean it. There wasn't even really any game tape on the kid, he had 29 receptions, 434 yards and 5 TDs in his 4 year career in college. Ebron and Amaro surpassed his collegiate career numbers by like Week 4 of last season. They aren't a real comparison to him. Until we see Robinson on the field and playing we really have no idea how much he's developed in the past 2 seasons.

I thought the Giants were a little higher on Robinson than it appears. I figured that had a lot to do with not going out and getting a decent veteran TE. Then again, I didn't realize how raw Robinson really was. 29 catches in his entire college career is pretty darn raw.

Looking forward to the preseason to see this guy with my own eyes. If he can at least become a good blocker, he should be on the field and see some open looks being the 4th option in the passing game.

I thought the Giants were a little higher on Robinson than it appears. I figured that had a lot to do with not going out and getting a decent veteran TE. Then again, I didn't realize how raw Robinson really was. 29 catches in his entire college career is pretty darn raw.

Looking forward to the preseason to see this guy with my own eyes. If he can at least become a good blocker, he should be on the field and see some open looks being the 4th option in the passing game.
Yeah, I'm hoping Robinson gets a real chance as I happen to own him on two dynasty teams. At the same time though, I can definitely see them going with Donnell or even Grimble both of whom are less raw than Robinson was coming out. One thing all these guys have in common is that they're simply massive guys. Each one of them is like 6' 5" 265lbs, so you know the type of TE they want at least :shrug:

Adrien Robinson - TE - Giants

Giants TE Adrien Robinson has "failed to separate from the pack" at spring practices, where he's rotated with Daniel Fells, Larry Donnell, Xavier Grimble, and Kellen Davis.

"It's fully open right now to all five guys," said TEs coach Kevin Gilbride Jr., who wants Robinson to "develop his consistency," improve his "body control," and become a better "point-of-attack blocker." Per beat writer Jordan Raanan, Robinson did "flash a bit more," but "failed to blow away the competition." GM Jerry Reese may have to explore upgrading tight end before or during camp.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger Jun 19 - 10:15 PM

Rotoworld:

Giants TE Adrien Robinson has shed 10-12 pounds and checked in at 276 heading into training camp.

That means Robinson ballooned up close to 290 pounds after an injury-riddled 2013 season. Robinson will get the first crack at the tight end job for the G-Men, but this is position that is likely to be filled by a committee. Robinson will work with the first team, while Kellen Davis and Daniel Fells mix in behind him.

Source: Jordan Raanan on Twitter

Jul 22 - 12:12 PM

I haven't seen much of him on tape, but I'm wondering if anyone who has can comment on his ability to catch the ball without seeing it come out of the QBs hand. Does he have the hands to snatch a ball that's on him as he turns his head or is it likely to eat him up? I just feel like that's something Eli will get a feel for and lock on to him if he can do it, especially in the end zone.
There's not much tape to see ... He didn't do much in college and has done nothing in the NFL

Adrien Robinson is listed as the No. 5 tight end on the Giants' initial training camp depth chart.
Yikes. Blocker and special teamer Larry Donnell is listed as the No. 1. That should tell you this isn't a serious exercise, but it's painfully obvious Robinson failed to impress this offseason. At this point, it wouldn't be the most shocking thing if he was left off the 53-man roster. The G-Men are going to go with a committee at tight end. Robinson is highly unlikely to come into any fantasy value.

Source: Dan Graziano on Twitter
Jul 24 - 1:07 PM

Adrien Robinson is listed as the No. 5 tight end on the Giants' initial training camp depth chart.
Yikes. Blocker and special teamer Larry Donnell is listed as the No. 1. That should tell you this isn't a serious exercise, but it's painfully obvious Robinson failed to impress this offseason. At this point, it wouldn't be the most shocking thing if he was left off the 53-man roster. The G-Men are going to go with a committee at tight end. Robinson is highly unlikely to come into any fantasy value.

Source: Dan Graziano on Twitter
Jul 24 - 1:07 PM
Wow.....looks like I'll start taking a peek at the waiver wire and see whats there.

Giants TE Adrien Robinson ran with the second- and third-team offenses in Sunday night's Hall of Fame game.

Robinson is a measurables freak, but he's so poor at football that he couldn't beat out Larry Donnell or Daniel Fells in training camp. Robinson's best receiving season in college was 12-183-3 in 11 games as a senior. Once dubbed the "JPP of tight ends" by GM Jerry Reese, Robinson has little or no Dynasty value.

Aug 3 - 10:36 PM

Again it's the first preseason game but dang it doesn't even look like he can block from what i

I've seen... Big and slowish looking... I'm cutting bait

All the news about him has been terrible so far. The only plausible explanation I can think of running him with the 1's is giving him one last good look before they decide to cut. I don't see how he'd go from last on the depth chart to 1st after doing nothing.

Rotoworld:

Giants TE Adrien Robinson caught his first career pass in New York's Week 4 win over the Redskins.

Robinson's 15-yard catch, and lone target, was over two years in the making. It came deep in a blowout, and after Larry Donnell and Daniel Fells combined for four touchdowns. Robinson won't come into fantasy value this season.

Sep 26 - 12:48 AM

Rotoworld:

Giants.com gives Adrien Robinson the slight edge for the No. 3 tight end job.

With Daniel Fells backing up Larry Donnell, Robinson needs to hold off UDFA Matt LaCosse and Jerome Cunningham. Robinson was limited to 77 snaps last year and hasn’t developed as the Giants expected. 26-year-old Robinson will get one last training camp to make an impression.

Source: giants.com
Jun 12 - 4:47 PM

Users who are viewing this thread