What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Coach Josh McCown (1 Viewer)

twistd

Footballguy
I will preface this by saying I am a Bear fan. I thought McCown did a fantastic job last year. I was really hoping that McCown would resign with the Bears as a back up. But prior to last year McCown was nothing more than a journeyman back up QB. He had been in the league for ten years and started 33 games for the Cardinals, the Raiders, and the Bears. But before last year no one considered him a legitimate starter in the NFL. His last shot at a starting job was with the Raiders in 2007 when he started 9 games. Since then he was a back up for the Panthers and the Bears. Although he had a terrific season last year, I believe Tampa will discover that nothing has changed. I think they will discover tha McCown is still a journeyman back up QB.

I think all the stars aligned for McCown last year. Alshon Jeffrey took a quantum leap forward and became a Pro Bowl caliber wide receiver. I think that gave the Bears, if not the best wide reciever tandem in the league, one of the top three. Bennett is a solid tight end. Forte is a terrific receiver out of the backfield and one of the top RBs in the league. Long and Mills solidified the O line, and made that an above average unit. But most importantly, Trestman did a masterful job of putting McCown in the position to be successful.

Now McCown is moving to Tampa. Vincent Jackson is a solid WR and Evans is a promising rookie. Evans will need time to develop, and Jackson is a step below either Marshall or Jeffrey. Behind them there is nothing. Wright has shown flashes at TE, but Bennett is much better at that position. Doug Martin is a pretty good back, but coming off a torn ACL. The Tampa O line was awful last year. So you have put McCown in a situation with a significant downgrade in the talent around him. But the biggest factor, I think, is Lovie. In Chicago we saw that Lovie hasn't a clue how to handle a QB. There is no comparision between Trestman and Lovie in that department. I know that Tampa has Tedford to help McCown. but looking at the whole situation, I think Tampa is going to find out that McCown is exactly what he appeared to be before last year. Either Glennon will be the starter again by the midpoint of the season, or they will be looking for someone new in the 2015 draft.

I hope I am wrong because I think McCown is a good guy, and as a Bears fan, I was thrilled with the season he gave the Bears last year. But journeyman back up QBs don't suddenly morph in to starters at the age of 34. I think the Bucs are about to find that out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone thinks he is a franchise QB...even TB. Never hurts to add quality QBs to the roster and I think he gives them a chance to develop Glennon or someone else without rushing. With two big targets last year McCown performed admirably.....now TB has two big targets.....I expect Evans to be given quite a few opportunities to make plays this season. A solid run game will also help and I think the veteran McCown will perform well again.

I do. A Lovie Smith offense is definitely NOT a Marc Trestman offense. Yeah, yeah, I know Lovie is not the offensive coordinator, but I saw enough for years here in Chicago to see the world of difference between the coaches.

I don't think anyone thinks he is a franchise QB...even TB. Never hurts to add quality QBs to the roster and I think he gives them a chance to develop Glennon or someone else without rushing. With two big targets last year McCown performed admirably.....now TB has two big targets.....I expect Evans to be given quite a few opportunities to make plays this season. A solid run game will also help and I think the veteran McCown will perform well again.
Three big targets, if you count ASJ.

I don't believe the expectation is a franchise QB, but an adequate starter. I don't think he will live up to that. I don't think adding QBs is a bad idea. But they didn't just add him, they signed him, and then handed him the starting job. If they brought in McCown to push Glennon I could understand that. But they just handed him the starting job and seemed to be ready to move on from Glennon. The rumor was that Glennon was on the trading block and could be had for a second or a third. I thought that a team like the Raiders or the Cardinals should have definitely looked at Glennon. I thought Glennon played well, especially considering the situation. Now the Raiders have Carr, but the Cards still need a QB, as do the Texans. The Bucs have said that Glennon is the QB of the future, but I don't know if they really believe that, or they are trying to maintain his value while they look for a trade partner.

TB has back pedaled faster than Deon in his prime on the McCown starting thing. Now they are doing the same on trading Glennon. Perhaps they've realized how stupid both those things were to begin with.

I'm of the opinion that McCown isn't a starter caliber QB in the NFL. Look at his career numbers and his past. There is enough to go on. He had a nice stretch last year but I think that was the stars aligning and an anomaly. Will he fail? That is a prudent of your expectations I suppose. I don't think he wins the starting job or holds onto it for very long because well, I don't think he's very good. If Glennon stays put, looks like he will at this point, I think he becomes the starter at some point this season.

The nice thing is TB really went out and got some weapons. Jackson was already a great target. Now they add Evans and ASJ. Martin comes back healthy and the online was in shambles due to injuries last season so a big uptick can be expected there. There are pieces in place for production out of the QB in TB if you ask me. I think the starter has decent value. I don't think the starter should be McCown.

I will preface this by saying I am a Bear fan. I thought McCown did a fantastic job last year. I was really hoping that McCown would resign with the Bears as a back up. But prior to last year McCown was nothing more than a journeyman back up QB. He had been in the league for ten years and started 33 games for the Cardinals, the Raiders, and the Bears. But before last year no one considered him a legitimate starter in the NFL. His last shot at a starting job was with the Raiders in 2007 when he started 9 games. Since then he was a back up for the Panthers and the Bears. Although he had a terrific season last year, I believe Tampa will discover that nothing has changed. I think they will discover tha McCown is still a journeyman back up QB.

I think all the stars aligned for McCown last year. Alshon Jeffrey took a quantum leap forward and became a Pro Bowl caliber wide receiver. I think that gave the Bears, if not the best wide reciever tandem in the league, one of the top three. Bennett is a solid tight end. Forte is a terrific receiver out of the backfield and one of the top RBs in the league. Long and Mills solidified the O line, and made that an above average unit. But most importantly, Trestman did a masterful job of putting McCown in the position to be successful.

Now McCown is moving to Tampa. Vincent Jackson is a solid WR and Evans is a promising rookie. Evans will need time to develop, and Jackson is a step below either Marshall or Jeffrey. Behind them there is nothing. Wright has shown flashes at TE, but Bennett is much better at that position. Doug Martin is a pretty good back, but coming off a torn ACL. The Tampa O line was awful last year. So you have put McCown in a situation with a significant downgrade in the talent around him. But the biggest factor, I think, is Lovie. In Chicago we saw that Lovie hasn't a clue how to handle a QB. There is no comparision between Trestman and Lovie in that department. I know that Tampa has Tedford to help McCown. but looking at the whole situation, I think Tampa is going to find out that McCown is exactly what he appeared to be before last year. Either Glennon will be the starter again by the midpoint of the season, or they will be looking for someone new in the 2015 draft.

I hope I am wrong because I think McCown is a good guy, and as a Bears fan, I was thrilled with the season he gave the Bears last year. But journeyman back up QBs don't suddenly morph in to starters at the age of 34. I think the Bucs are about to find that out.
Agreed.

You make it sound like McCown actually has something to fall from. He had some good games last season but I don't think anyone suddenly views him as a long term starting caliber NFL QB. He's a decent short term solution. Which is perfectly fine for where they are at. They've built a good defensive core, they've picked some exciting offensive weapons in this draft, and they can evaluate McCown and Glennon this season and go for the QB of their future in next year's draft.

But I'm quite excited about the weapons they've assembled now. 12 personnel with V-Jax and Evans outside, Wright in the slot, ASJ as the inline TE, and Doug Martin in the backfield...I'm not a Bucs fan but I'll be watching plenty of games this season to see how that plays out.

The run game will definitely be a beneficiary of a more settled and some would argue competent QB situation, better receivers and hopefully less injury among OL and RBs. But Tedford will have to be able to get creative with these weapons or it will all be for naught

I know what the OP means. I thought Trestman might make McCown FF worthy in CHI and he did. So what is McCown without Trestman? Now, actually (unfortunately, as a Saints fan) I think Tedford will be bringing some good things to the FF table this year, like Trestman and Kelly last year. Leaving my desire to see the Bucs flop out of it, they've added Evans, ASJ and Sims, plus VJax and Martin already there, I think this offense will be moving the ball. Tedford's system can be just as or almost as friendly to McCown.

I think TB is going to be one place for finding FF value this year.

TB has back pedaled faster than Deon in his prime on the McCown starting thing. Now they are doing the same on trading Glennon. Perhaps they've realized how stupid both those things were to begin with.

I'm of the opinion that McCown isn't a starter caliber QB in the NFL. Look at his career numbers and his past. There is enough to go on. He had a nice stretch last year but I think that was the stars aligning and an anomaly. Will he fail? That is a prudent of your expectations I suppose. I don't think he wins the starting job or holds onto it for very long because well, I don't think he's very good. If Glennon stays put, looks like he will at this point, I think he becomes the starter at some point this season.

The nice thing is TB really went out and got some weapons. Jackson was already a great target. Now they add Evans and ASJ. Martin comes back healthy and the online was in shambles due to injuries last season so a big uptick can be expected there. There are pieces in place for production out of the QB in TB if you ask me. I think the starter has decent value. I don't think the starter should be McCown.
I agree with you. I can't quite figure out why the Bucs announced that McCown was the starter as soon as they signed him. Maybe you are right that they realized it was stupid. If you say McCown is going to come in and compete, and then quietly shop Glennon he has more value. When you announce that McCown is the starter you basically say you don't think much of Glennon. I don't understand why they are so quick to give up on Glennon. He had a very good year considering the circumstances. I think that 19 TDs and only 9 INTs in a rookie year is really good. They do seem to be backpedaling on trading Glennon. I can't tell whether they really believe it or just trying save face a bit. The whole situation has been very poorly handled.

Lovie Smith: Josh McCown was in our ear to get tall WRBy Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

Tampa Bay looks an awful lot like home to Josh McCown.

After the Buccaneers used last week's draft to add 6-foot-5 Mike Evans at wideout along with the equally tall Austin Seferian-Jenkins at tight end, the team's starting quarterback acknowledged: "I'd be lying if I didn't say there was a comfort zone in that."

There's a clear parallel to a Chicago lineup from last season that saw the Bears overload secondaries with 6-foot-4 Brandon Marshall, 6-foot-3 Alshon Jeffery and 6-foot-6 tight end Martellus Bennett. The inherent matchup problems helped the 34-year-old McCown soar to career highs under coach Marc Trestman in completion percentage (66.5), touchdowns (13) and yards per catch (9.1).

"It's very similar, at least on paper (to the Bears)," the quarterback said Tuesday after working out with Evans and the rookies, per The Tampa Tribune. "There's still a lot of work to do."

Coach Lovie Smith acknowledged that McCown was "in our ear" to amass tall-as-trees targets. Factor in the 6-foot-5 Vincent Jackson, and the Bucs are well-equipped to win jump-ball matchups with diminutive cover men and go toe-to-toe with schemes loaded with bigger corners and safeties.

The X-factor for Tampa is McCown's ability to duplicate his league-leading 0.4 interception rate away from Trestman's watch. The Bears coach turned a backup passer nobody wanted into one of the NFL's most efficient throwers. With plenty of new weapons in-house, it's up to Bucs coordinator Jeff Tedford to continue the masterpiece.

The "Around The League Podcast" wrapped up the draft by picking our winners and losers.

You make it sound like McCown actually has something to fall from. He had some good games last season but I don't think anyone suddenly views him as a long term starting caliber NFL QB. He's a decent short term solution. Which is perfectly fine for where they are at. They've built a good defensive core, they've picked some exciting offensive weapons in this draft, and they can evaluate McCown and Glennon this season and go for the QB of their future in next year's draft.

But I'm quite excited about the weapons they've assembled now. 12 personnel with V-Jax and Evans outside, Wright in the slot, ASJ as the inline TE, and Doug Martin in the backfield...I'm not a Bucs fan but I'll be watching plenty of games this season to see how that plays out.
Agreed. He is a placeholder, both in FF terms and in NFL terms. Nobody I've seen is dying to go get him. Will there be a drop from his magical stretch last year? Probably, but not many are counting on that anyway.

If anything, I say he has some upside compared to where he is probably valued. When he came in to the league I was intrigued at what he might bring to the table, but then he never really took off. He's been around too long to expect much, but stranger things have happened than a brief show of excellence from a vet who has bounced around the league and finally ended up in a good spot for him. Let's face it, he started his career in a brutal situation.

Tampa's built this offense to resemble the one McCown worked with last year.

They also have a very talented defense that was horribly misused by the old regime yet still finished in the top half of the NFL in most metrics. Yeah, they lost Revis, but he wasn't used to his potential anyway. Verner can at the very least do what Revis was assigned last year. Michael Johnson patches the one glaring hole on this unit.

McCown's going to have to take a big step back to lose his job under Loyal Lovie this year. Certainly possible given his history, but I think he is being under rated right now.

Gannon comes to mind. Trestman may have flipped the switch for McCown the way Gruden did for Gannon.

The young big guys in TB are going to go through growing pains, but having VJax and Martin is going to help a ton. I could honestly see McCown go for 3500+ yds and 23+ TDs this year, with his production getting stronger as Evans and ASJ progress.

Im not sure why people expect him to fail? He looked pretty damn good to me last year and he has a nice set of big wr's to throw to just like in chicago....

They also have a very talented defense that was horribly misused by the old regime yet still finished in the top half of the NFL in most metrics. Yeah, they lost Revis, but he wasn't used to his potential anyway. Verner can at the very least do what Revis was assigned last year. Michael Johnson patches the one glaring hole on this unit.

McCown's going to have to take a big step back to lose his job under Loyal Lovie this year. Certainly possible given his history, but I think he is being under rated right now.
I disagree. I think McCown is being overrated for countless reasons.

Last year he was playing with arguably the best WR duo in the league and the best receiving RB. McCown had a wonderful 3 game stretch last year that caused everyone to get a little too excited about who and what to expect from him.

During that 3 game stretch of week 12 to 14 in those 3 games he got 23 receptions out of Jeffery, 20 out of Marshall and 16 out of Forte.

As good as Vincent Jackson is, he has still never caught more than 78 balls in a season. Martin is no Forte and Evans is a rookie and definitely not going to be his Jeffery.

McCown is going to flop this year and people will forget that the system and players in Chicago were the perfect storm. I would venture to guess his odds of finishing in the top 12 are extremely low. He is on my do not draft list.

Last year he was playing with arguably the best WR duo in the league and the best receiving RB. McCown had a wonderful 3 game stretch last year that caused everyone to get a little too excited about who and what to expect from him.

During that 3 game stretch of week 12 to 14 in those 3 games he got 23 receptions out of Jeffery, 20 out of Marshall and 16 out of Forte.

As good as Vincent Jackson is, he has still never caught more than 78 balls in a season. Martin is no Forte and Evans is a rookie and definitely not going to be his Jeffery.

McCown is going to flop this year and people will forget that the system and players in Chicago were the perfect storm. I would venture to guess his odds of finishing in the top 12 are extremely low. He is on my do not draft list.
He is the 34th, 35th, and 39th ranked QB according to these dynasty websites

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/rankings/qb-rankings/

http://www.fftoday.com/rankings/dynasty.php

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46385/69/2014-quarterback-dynasty-ranks?pg=2

I don't know in what world that can be considered over rated. If he flops then you're out a lotto ticket.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46385/69/2014-quarterback-dynasty-ranks?pg=2

I don't know in what world that can be considered over rated. If he flops then you're out a lotto ticket.
I was referring to redraft.

Im not sure why people expect him to fail? He looked pretty damn good to me last year and he has a nice set of big wr's to throw to just like in chicago....
Main reason is he had a real small sample size of success last year, and maybe playing for Trestman made him look better than he is.

He still comes pretty cheap so if he does fail he doesnt cost anyone much. Its worth the risk...

McCown had a great three week stretch last year. He did a good job in a couple other games (but they were not great fantasy production games). Would McCown average 40 passing attempts a game like he did over that 3 week stretch? He's now played in 59 games over his 10 year career. Which should be emphasized more, the 10 year track record or the 3 week hot streak? IMO, he's mostly been a journeyman back up for 10 years moving on to his 5th team. Maybe he can be a regular, productive starter now, but one has to wonder how many times QBs emerge starting at age 35. Rich Gannon came on late, but I can't think of other similar success stories.

I think McCown, assuming he stays healthy, will be a top 10 QB this year.
why?
I imagine it's because he thinks McCown will throw a lot of touchdowns to the plethora of sequoias the Bucs have catching passes.
Having two tall receivers does not mean he's a top 10 QB.
There is also the possibility that Evans and Sefarin-Jenkins stink.

I have no idea if they will, but right now, no one knows.

Here are a few reasons why I think we need to proceed with caution:

• Outside of last year, he never had higher than a 75 QB rating
  • Because he had Fitz and Boldin in AZ and he could not hold down the job with them as his WRs
  • He could not get on the field in Carolina in the pre-Cam days
  • Trestman is not going to Tampa with him
This kind of remind me when Todd Collins went 3-0 with a 5:0 TD/INT ratio back in 2007. He'd been a backup up until that time (at age 36), and was thrust into service in a system he felt very comfy with (old Saunders offense he learned while in KC). It extended his career by three years and when called into duty in 2010 he gave up 5 INTs in just 27 attempts.

Agreed with most of your points except

- McCown has been a decent value in all of my drafts so far including Mock redrafts

- Martin isn't Forte, but Sims could be an exceptional COP type back for them. He isn't Sproles but I won't be surprised if he ends the season with 60+ receptions.

I wouldn't be surprised if he goes undrafted in many redrafts. Focused on dynasty because those are the types of leagues that are deep enough to target guys like him.

But since you asked - 29th, 24th, and 25th

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=bloomearlyredraftQB14

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/qb-cheatsheets.php

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/id/10635304/2014-fantasy-football-quarterback-rankings

If I don't have a backup late and he's still there? The only downside is temporarily using the roster spot. If he struggles out of the gate he will be very easy to move on from for whatever flavor arises in September/October.

Rotoworld:

Josh McCown - QB - Buccaneers

The Bucs' website confirms Josh McCown is "expected to start at quarterback this season."

Bucs brass has called McCown-Mike Glennon a training camp battle at times since the draft, but it's pretty clear McCown is viewed as the 2014 starter. The Bucs also specifically drafted to suit McCown's skill set, arming him with plus-sized receiver Mike Evans, and jumbo tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins in an attempt to mimic the Bears' 2014 offense. Glennon will be Tampa Bay's clear backup. McCown will be worth a late look in two-quarterback leagues.

Related: Mike Glennon

Source: buccaneers.com

Jun 9 - 5:43 PM

McCown had a great three week stretch last year. He did a good job in a couple other games (but they were not great fantasy production games). Would McCown average 40 passing attempts a game like he did over that 3 week stretch? He's now played in 59 games over his 10 year career. Which should be emphasized more, the 10 year track record or the 3 week hot streak? IMO, he's mostly been a journeyman back up for 10 years moving on to his 5th team. Maybe he can be a regular, productive starter now, but one has to wonder how many times QBs emerge starting at age 35. Rich Gannon came on late, but I can't think of other similar success stories.
Other journeymen type QBs (beside Gannon) that found success later in ther careers that come to mind are Doug Flutie, Jon Kitna, Steve Beuerlein, Jim Plunket, Doug Williams and Alex Smith.

Other journeymen type QBs (beside Gannon) that found success later in ther careers that come to mind are Doug Flutie, Jon Kitna, Steve Beuerlein, Jim Plunket, Doug Williams and Alex Smith.
Alex a Smith is nothing close to a journeyman.

"journeyman type" - he didn't actually switch teams unto last season, but struggled under various OC changes in SF, until hitting his stride under Harbaugh and having a very good year in KC under Reid.

"journeyman type" - he didn't actually switch teams unto last season, but struggled under various OC changes in SF, until hitting his stride under Harbaugh and having a very good year in KC under Reid.
Still, Smith has been a starter every year of his career. McCown has been a backup every year but 1. McCown is a backup quality QB. Smith is a starter quality QB.

The major thing hindering the Bucs' ability to score points will be the "If's" on the offensive line. The weapons are certainly there.

McCown has been a journeyman for some really bad teams. He showed in Chicago that he can be productive if there is talent surrounding him.

The major thing hindering the Bucs' ability to score points will be the "If's" on the offensive line. The weapons are certainly there.

McCown has been a journeyman for some really bad teams. He showed in Chicago that he can be productive if there is talent surrounding him.
And he showed in Arizona he can be very mediocre with talented receivers (Fitzgerald and Boldin). True, McCown has played on some less than stellar teams, but TB isn't exactly great in their own right (4 wins last year).

And he showed in Arizona he can be very mediocre with talented receivers (Fitzgerald and Boldin). True, McCown has played on some less than stellar teams, but TB isn't exactly great in their own right (4 wins last year).
McCown had Larry for his rookie year in 04 and his monster 2005. He threw for over 1,800 yards in 6 starts (appeared in 9 games total) in 05. Boldin was hurt for most of 04 when McCown had the opportunity to start. He never really had both of them healthy at the same time while being a starter.

His next starting opportunity was in Oakland for the 2007 Raiders who were 4-12.

Grahamburn said:
Anarchy99 said:
Grahamburn said:

McCown had Larry for his rookie year in 04 and his monster 2005. He threw for over 1,800 yards in 6 starts (appeared in 9 games total) in 05. Boldin was hurt for most of 04 when McCown had the opportunity to start. He never really had both of them healthy at the same time while being a starter.

His next starting opportunity was in Oakland for the 2007 Raiders who were 4-12.
I would be more apt to give McCown some extra credit if he was consistently a backup on perennial winning teams or had his path regularly blocked by a future HOFer. But he didn't (except for when Warner ended up in Arizona after already having started for them and being on the team 3 seasons). The NFL teams he's been on have gone a collective 73-103.

Plenty of teams have had an up close chance to see what McCown could do. He's played on 4 NFL teams already (ARI, DET, CAR, and CHI). But he was also signed and released by MIA and SF. Now he moves on to TB . . . the 7th franchise to sign him.

As recently as 2010, McCown played in the UFL for the Hartford Colonials (going 3-5 record) and also was an assistant coach for a high school team. I'm glad for him that he finally got a chance to start and made some decent money (compared to the rest of his career) to sign with TB. If he played really well this year, it would make for a great, great story. I hope he does well, but for now I will still side with his recent success being more a fluke than a regular thing. But I do hope I am wrong. Love it when the little guy unexpectedly makes a mark.

Grahamburn said:
Anarchy99 said:
Grahamburn said:

I would be more apt to give McCown some extra credit if he was consistently a backup on perennial winning teams or had his path regularly blocked by a future HOFer. But he didn't (except for when Warner ended up in Arizona after already having started for them and being on the team 3 seasons). The NFL teams he's been on have gone a collective 73-103.

Plenty of teams have had an up close chance to see what McCown could do. He's played on 4 NFL teams already (ARI, DET, CAR, and CHI). But he was also signed and released by MIA and SF. Now he moves on to TB . . . the 7th franchise to sign him.

As recently as 2010, McCown played in the UFL for the Hartford Colonials (going 3-5 record) and also was an assistant coach for a high school team. I'm glad for him that he finally got a chance to start and made some decent money (compared to the rest of his career) to sign with TB. If he played really well this year, it would make for a great, great story. I hope he does well, but for now I will still side with his recent success being more a fluke than a regular thing. But I do hope I am wrong. Love it when the little guy unexpectedly makes a mark.
I'm not as optimistic as the guy thinking top 10, but with the team around him he can be an efficient game manager. You mentioned Tampa only winning four games last year. An incompetent coaching staff really hindered the talent and the team was in complete disarray with the Josh Freeman fiasco at the beginning of the season. Lovie Smith is instilling a new culture. I don't know if it will work right away, but they are taking steps in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread