What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jared Abbrederis (1 Viewer)

cloppbeast

Footballguy
I believe WR Jared Abbrederis (Wisconsin) will do well in the NFL. He plays technically sound football without displaying greedily sought after physical tools.

Abbrederis won't dominate against professional competition, but his talent lack should not be exaggerated. At the combine, the Wisconsin Badger actually measured decently: 4.50 40, 6.80 3-cone, 4.08 short shuttle. More importantly, his tape shows a receiver getting open on almost every play. Granted, his technical proficiency helped him gain separation, but this should not serve as an indictment of his talent. Running good routes requires unteachable traits like hip flexibility and agility, not to mention determination. Unlike other receivers with more 'upside', we already know Abbrederis possesses these qualities.

I would gladly have this guy with an early 2nd round rookie pick. Fortunately, I won't have to spend that to get him.

I can't remember where but I saw a comparison to Brian Hartline....Would that be a fair assessment? I've always thought Hartline could be a really good receiver, but for some reason the guy can't find the end zone.

I can't remember where but I saw a comparison to Brian Hartline....Would that be a fair assessment? I've always thought Hartline could be a really good receiver, but for some reason the guy can't find the end zone.
Both white guys, so probably a good place to start ;)

From WalterFootball.com

Player Comparison: Harry Douglas. I could see Abbrederis being a receiver similar to Douglas, but better. Both Abbrederis and Douglas are fast enough to make plays downfield. Douglas (6-0, 183) is similar size to Abbrederis and has developed into being a good slot receiver. Douglas topped 1,000 yards for the first time in his career last year after being a third-round pick. Abbrederis also could be a third-rounder. Abbrederis easily end up being better than Douglas, but his floor could be a player similar to Douglas.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014jabbrederis.php

SI 64: Nos. 64-60: Jimmy Garoppolo, Jimmie Ward, Bishop Sankey and more

Doug Farrar

Excerpt:

No. 63: Jared Abbrederis, WR, WisconsinBio: A former walk-on, Abbrederis led the Badgers in receiving yards in each of the last two seasons. In 2013, he went over 1,000 yards for the first time with 1,081 on 78 catches and seven touchdowns. The 6-1, 195-pound Abbrederis became the first University of Wisconsin receiver to make first-team all-conference since Al Toon did it in 1983 and ’84. He won the Burlsworth Trophy as the nation’s top player who began his career as a walk-on, but when it comes to his NFL prospects, things are a bit more nebulous.

Strengths: Abbrederis has an excellent understanding of route concepts and the kinds of option routes that receivers use at the NFL level to get and stay open in space. He gets free from aggressive press cornerbacks with foot fakes at the line of scrimmage and establishes position smoothly to run his routes. Keeps his eye on the ball through the play and brings it in well. Turns and runs quickly and with a surprising second gear after the catch. Sinks his hips at the cut of a route and moves through angles effectively. Abbrederis is a willing and effective blocker for his size at the line and in space. Though he can be physically outmatched, Abbrederis is unafraid to go up for the ball in traffic. Will occasionally make defenders look silly with his ability to cut quickly and regain his top speed.

Weaknesses: Abbrederis struggles to gain separation at every level — he simply doesn’t have the straight-line or close-in speed to break away from defenders. Can be out-muscled by defenders on slants and drags, which often leads to him losing possession; he doesn’t have the functional strength to fight for the ball on a consistent basis. Bigger NFL cornerbacks will eat him up over time if he’s lined up as an outside receiver.

Conclusion: The temptation when analyzing any smaller, pigment-impaired possession receiver is to instantly compare him to Wes Welker and move on to the next guy. Abbrederis isn’t as tough in short spaces as Welker, but the Broncos’ receiver developed that trait over time. Like Welker, he’s going to be better in the slot, where his route knowledge is a primary asset and his lack of top-end speed won’t be such a liability. Abbrederis can be a productive player in the NFL, as long as the team drafting him understands what he is and is not.

NFL player comparison: Julian Edelman, New England Patriots (7th round, 2009, Kent State)

Last edited by a moderator:
My fear is that he's Brian Robiskie.

cstu said:
Alex P Keaton said:
cstu said:
My fear is that he's Brian Robiskie.
Based on what?
Being very similar players, the comparison should seems that strange.
In what ways are they similar players?

4.50 and 6-1/195 lbs. is not impressive and his 30.5" vertical, 9'9" broad jump and 4 bench reps are near the bottom of all receivers.

Anyone remember Mike Hass? Unfortunately he's a great college player whose game likely won't translate to the NFL.

Just another slot guy with speed and weak in the RedZone.

He isn't much better than Ryan Grant and Matt Hazel.

Man crush.

Very heavy man crush.

If we have to comp him to other white wrs I see Jordy more than anything.

If he was 2 inches taller and 20+ lbs. heavier. Nelson is like Jordan Matthews.
Maybe not in terms of combine measurements, but in receiving ability Nelson compares way better to Abbrederis; albeit Nelson may have slightly more physical talent.

Injury history could hurt Jared Abbrederis in NFL draft

Bob McGinn

Feb 22, 2014

Indianapolis — Wide receiver Jared Abbrederis of Wisconsin has a history of head injuries that could affect how high he is selected in the National Football League draft.

Executives in personnel for four NFL teams expressed concern in the last week about what they described as Abbrederis' history of concussions.

It was the understanding of two scouts that Abbrederis suffered "three or four" concussions during his four-year career for the Badgers.

"I've heard it's three or four," a personnel director for an NFL team said. "I've got to find out the depth of it. I love him, but it makes me nervous."

Abbrederis insisted he has had only one concussion: September 2012 against Oregon State.

"And it wasn't even a bad one," said Abbrederis, who sat out the next game.

However, Abbrederis also suffered head injuries against Penn State in November 2012 and against Northwestern last October.

Each NFL team will assign a medical-risk grade on Abbrederis. It's possible some clubs, given the culture of concussion awareness, could lower his overall grade or even remove him from their draft boards.

"The only problem with Abbrederis is he's had a number of concussions," an AFC personnel director said. "I think he had three to four concussions during his career. That could be an issue."

Abbrederis' ability to separate himself from the pack in an extraordinary pool of wide receivers would be his return ability. He owns UW's record for kickoff-return average (25.8 yards, 31 returns) and ranks fifth in punt-return average (10.7, 55 returns).

"But I don't know if the kick returning would suit him concussion-wise," another AFC personnel man said. "I worry a little bit about him holding up physically. He's had a bunch of things."

Abbrederis also had foot and rib injuries in his career.

"That (concussions) is a concern," an NFC scouting director said. "And the way he plays and the way he is, that's not surprising. He'll probably always be banged up, and you'll be worried about him."

Physicians from all 32 teams had the chance to examine Abbrederis earlier in the week.

"I don't think it's that big of a deal," said Abbrederis. "Teams will see that. I'm not worried about it."

Last spring, Abbrederis (6 feet 1 inch) weighed 185 pounds, 10 fewer than what he weighed at the combine. If he can maintain the 195 pounds or perhaps even reach 200 without losing speed, it could help him in the more physical pro game and perhaps allay the concerns some teams have about his durability.

On Sunday, Abbrederis will run two 40-yard dashes that also will have a major bearing on his draft status.

His goal is anything in the 4.4s. One scout said 4.56 would be a good time for him.

"I think I'm fast," he said. "I'm excited for that, because that's definitely been underrated, I guess you could say."

By now, Abbrederis' story is familiar. He went from being a walk-on quarterback from Wautoma in central Wisconsin to all-Big Ten first-team honors in 2012 and 2013.

He tied Brandon Williams' school reception record (202) while finishing second in receiving yards (3,140) and touchdowns (23).

"I mean, you try not to like him, but all the kid does is make plays," an NFC scout said. "Everybody thinks he's just a slow walk-on guy. But he just knows how to play football, and he does it well. Fourth round."

An AFC scout, who views Abbrederis as a third- or fourth-round pick despite his medical history, cites his 10-catch, 207-yard explosion Sept. 28 at Ohio State.

"You watch him against (cornerback) Bradley Roby, who's a first-round-type pick," said the personnel director. "He wore him out. Big-time game for him. He really kept Wisconsin in the game.

"He should be able to come in and play, and play early. He's not an NFL starter. He's a slot player or a No. 3 receiver, maybe a No. 4 on a very good team. He's going to be active on game days just because he's polished."

Abbrederis, who scored 32 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test, grew up watching Donald Driver achieve stardom after being drafted in the seventh round by Green Bay 15 years ago.

"I loved the way he played the game," said Abbrederis. "The fearlessness going over the middle and kind of his underdog story as well.

"I obviously have the underdog mentality. When I set a goal, I do everything in my power to achieve that.

"That just kind of carried me on through my career as a walk-on and then trying to achieve my goals here in the NFL."

If you want a near perfect comp:

Abbrederis: 6-1/195, 4.50 40, 4 bench, 30.5" vertical, 9-09 broad, 4.08 SS, 6.80 3 cone

Damian Williams: 6-0.5/197, 4.52 40, 19 bench, 38" vertical, 9-10 broad, 4.24 SS, 6.79 3 cone

Austin Collie: 6-0.7/200, 4.56 40, 17 bench, 34" vertical, 10-00 broad, 4.24 SS, 6.78 3 cone

Abbrederis: 6-1/195, 4.50 40, 4 bench, 30.5" vertical, 9-09 broad, 4.08 SS, 6.80 3 cone

Damian Williams: 6-0.5/197, 4.52 40, 19 bench, 38" vertical, 9-10 broad, 4.24 SS, 6.79 3 cone

Austin Collie: 6-0.7/200, 4.56 40, 17 bench, 34" vertical, 10-00 broad, 4.24 SS, 6.78 3 cone
Do people really project players based upon similar groupings of combine measurables?

That's really interesting - in a really odd way.

Do people really project players based upon similar groupings of combine measurables?That's really interesting - in a really odd way.
yes they do. No I dont get it either

Ab will do fine in the NFL. He was the only decent WR on the team, always faced the best db or had coverage slanted to him, was getting the ball thrown to him by an average college qb, and still dominated the competion. He killed the OState secondary, including a guy supposedly a first round draft pick, Roby got owned by him the whole game

Abbrederis is also 24 in December.
Abbrederis is pretty much a finished project. I have much more concern about the raw Kelvin Benjamin, even though they share the same age.

But some would argue an older player should look better on tape, being a man amongst boys in college.

Abbrederis is also 24 in December.
Abbrederis is pretty much a finished project. I have much more concern about the raw Kelvin Benjamin, even though they share the same age.

But some would argue an older player should look better on tape, being a man amongst boys in college.
Being a 24-year old rookie is not a good thing. Being older as a rookie WR isn't a good thing, unless that player outright dominated in college, which Abbrederis didn't.

See: Kenbrell Thompkins.

Being a 24-year old rookie is not a good thing. Being older as a rookie WR isn't a good thing, unless that player outright dominated in college, which Abbrederis didn't.
Abbrederis didn't dominate the stat line, but he did very well against his opponents. I believe he played much better than his stats indicate; he played his career on a run first team and his senior year with a below average quarterback.

Bronco Billy said:

Do people really project players based upon similar groupings of combine measurables?

That's really interesting - in a really odd way.

I hate comps.
What have comps ever done to you? Do you have something against lazy analysis?
Comps are only part of the puzzle. What is lazy is ignoring them.

I've watched every piece of video available on him and he looks like an ok #2 in the NFL. Not exciting for FF unless he gets a great QB.

His downside is Damien Williams and his upside is a healthy Austin Collie (another 24 yo rookie BTW).

So about the concussion report, 4-5 concussions. I really liked Ryan Swope a year ago and that didn't end well.

Are we writing off the anonymous executive that this report came from? I have a hard time weeding out something like that.

So about the concussion report, 4-5 concussions. I really liked Ryan Swope a year ago and that didn't end well.

Are we writing off the anonymous executive that this report came from? I have a hard time weeding out something like that.
I read the story, and it reminded me of Ryan Swope also. I definitely have some concerns about it, even if it came from an anonymous source. Abbrederis himself said he doesn't 'think it's a big deal', but many careers have ended early because of concussions.

These issues may drive down his price in fantasy, especially if he falls in the draft. I still maintain Abbrederis will at least make a good 3rd/4th round rookie pick.

Jared Abbrederis among best route runners in draft, scouts sayBy Daniel Kim NFL.com

Analysts often cite Bradley Roby's performance last season against Wisconsin receiver Jared Abbrederis as evidence of his inconsistencies at cornerback. But Chris Beatty, Abbrederis' position coach at Wisconsin, prefers to see it from the other side -- he believes it was proof that Abbrederis is a top-notch receiver.

"That kid's a great player, not a good player," Beatty said of Roby, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "Roby is a great player. Jared made him look average on that day.

"I mean, the guy couldn't keep up with him," Beatty said, adding that Abbrederis "double-moved him to death" in their September meeting.

Abbrederis lit the Buckeyes' secondary up for 10 catches for 207 yards and a touchdown last September, the most visible blemish in an up-and-down season by Roby, once considered the top cornerback prospect in the nation. But for Beatty, the game didn't expose Roby's flaws so much as it put Abbrederis' talents in the national spotlight.

Abbrederis is not considered among the elite receivers in this year's class. At 6-foot-1, 195 pounds, he doesn't have the game-breaking abilities of Sammy Watkins or the size-speed combination of Mike Evans, although he ran the 40 in 4.50 seconds at the NFL combine. But according to the Journal Sentinel, Beatty said several NFL scouts and coaches have told him Abbrederis is one of the best route runners in this year's draft.

"He's one of those guys who pays attention to every little thing in the meeting," Beatty said. "He's a film guy, and he's been in a pro-style offense for four years, five years. He knows what those routes look like -- he's run them over and over. So he knows what comebacks look like, where sometimes the spread-offense guys don't have that background."

Abbrederis has continued to help his cause in the last few months, showing off those precise route-running skills and good hands at Wisconsin's pro day. But at a position considered the deepest in the 2014 draft, he's projected by most to be a third-day pick.

As for Roby, he has revived his draft stock in the last couple of months, including a strong showing at the combine, where he impressed in position drills and his 4.39-second 40 time was one of the fastest at the event. Six of the seven NFL.com mock drafts have him projected as a first-round pick, with NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah slotting him as high as No. 15 to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Follow College Football 24/7 on Twitter @NFL_CFB.

Rotoworld:

Packers selected Wisconsin WR Jared Abbrederis with the No. 176 overall pick in the NFL draft.
Abbrederis (6-foot-1, 195) earned draft evaluators' respect by shredding heralded Ohio State CB Bradley Roby for a 10-207-1 stat line last September. A former walk-on, Abbrederis did his best work at Z and X receiver as opposed the slot, leaving Madison ranked first all-time in career catches (202), and No. 2 in both receiving yards (3,140) and touchdowns (23). He was also an effective kick and punt returner. Although he created separation in the Big Ten, Abbrederis lacks ideal size, speed (4.50), and explosion (30 1/2" vertical), and will likely max out a sub-package wideout with special teams value. He'll have to compete for a roster spot in Green Bay.

Rotoworld:

Packers signed fifth-round WR Jared Abbrederis to a four-year contract.
Abbrederis was the 176th overall pick. He projects as an outside receiver in the pros but will have a helluva time earning meaningful snaps as a rookie in Green Bay's loaded receiving corps. Abbrederis can also return kicks and punts.

Users who are viewing this thread