What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cody Latimer (1 Viewer)

ShaHBucks

Footballguy
Last edited by a moderator:
It might take him a couple years to adjust to the NFL. I wouldn't reach for him in the draft but if he falls to the third round I would probably draft him depending on who else is there. The shark move is to trade for him after his first year. Especially if he struggles early on. Maybe an owner will panic and you can get him for close to nothing.

It might take him a couple years to adjust to the NFL. I wouldn't reach for him in the draft but if he falls to the third round I would probably draft him depending on who else is there. The shark move is to trade for him after his first year. Especially if he struggles early on. Maybe an owner will panic and you can get him for close to nothing.
Exactly what I did for Wheaton this offseason.

I currently have him as rookie WR 11. Near the top of my maybe/project tier.

WR Sammy Watkins
WR Mike Evans

RB Bishop Sankey
WR Marqise Lee
RB Carlos Hyde

WR Odell Beckham Jr.
WR Brandin Cooks
RB Lache Seastrunk
TE Eric Ebron
QB Johnny Manziel

WR Kelvin Benjamin
QB Teddy Bridgewater
QB Blake Bortles
RB Charles Sims
WR Jordan Matthews
RB Isaiah Crowell
RB Tre Mason
TE Jace Amaro

WR Donte Moncrief
WR Allen Robinson
WR Jarvis Landry
RB Andre Williams
QB Derek Carr
RB Terrance West
TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
RB Devonta Freeman
WR Martavis Bryant

RB Damien Williams
RB KaDeem Carey
QB Brett Smith
WR Davonte Adams
QB Jimmy Garoppolo
QB Zach Metternberger
WR Cody Latimer
TE Colt Lyerla
WR Dri Archer
RB Jeremy Hill
RB Jerick McKinnon
RB DeAnthony Thomas
WR Bruce Ellington
RB Stephen Houston
RB Antonio Andrews
WR Jeff Janis
RB James White
WR Kevin Norwood
TE A.C Leonard
QB David Fales
QB Aaron Murray
QB AJ McCarron
WR Robert Herron
WR Mike Davis
WR Shaquelle Evans
WR/TE Brandon Coleman
RB Marion Grice
WR Paul Richardson
RB James Wilder
RB Rajion Neal
QB Tajh Boyd
QB Logan Thomas
RB Storm Johnson
RB Tim Flanders

I am still evaluating WRs and there may be a few players I haven't noticed yet.

I think he's a lot more functionally athletic than Quick.

He reminds me of a Jordy Nelson/Eric Decker hybrid. Very similar height/weight. Tested better than Jordy, but doesn't play as fast. May be a bit smoother.

Someone just uploaded a pretty good highlight reel of him a couple days ago.

Consider me on the bandwagon. I don't know if he's going to be a fantasy stud but I like the way he catches the ball and uses his body to defend his catching position. Most of want I saw seemed to be against zone but he found holes nicely. It's really that important but I love that he was on kick off.

Consider me on the bandwagon. I don't know if he's going to be a fantasy stud but I like the way he catches the ball and uses his body to defend his catching position. Most of want I saw seemed to be against zone but he found holes nicely. It's really that important but I love that he was on kick off.
That was Darqueze Denard that he boxed out for a TD vs Mich St. Denard wasn't guarding him the whole game. That was one of the times they were matched up together.

I would be higher on him if he was better than expected in the drills he didn't complete. You just have to assume he's in line with guys like Andre, Britt, Jordy, Fitz ect.. there.

I would be careful about comparing him to guys like Fitz and Andre, as he's not that bulky for his height. He is slanted more towards Roddy/Wayne territory in terms of his build. I made the Decker/Jordy comparisons because I think that captures his physique, playing style, and NFL outlook pretty well. He should be a solid complementary starter with the potential to put up big stats if thrust into a favorable situation with a talented QB who throws a lot. He is probably not going to be your all-conquering classic #1 receiver though. DraftScout has him as a pretty late pick, but I think he goes 2nd-3rd round. We'll see.

I would be careful about comparing him to guys like Fitz and Andre, as he's not that bulky for his height. He is slanted more towards Roddy/Wayne territory in terms of his build. I made the Decker/Jordy comparisons because I think that captures his physique, playing style, and NFL outlook pretty well. He should be a solid complementary starter with the potential to put up big stats if thrust into a favorable situation with a talented QB who throws a lot. He is probably not going to be your all-conquering classic #1 receiver though. DraftScout has him as a pretty late pick, but I think he goes 2nd-3rd round. We'll see.
It's just on paper. I through out a bunch of names. Reject them if you must. He reminds me of Andre Johnson in style though. We just don't know if he really has high-end agility like Andre without the data.

I see him mocked in the 3rd-5th. With that, every team has a chance to draft him as a nice investment. The draft could hurt him. If he goes to Denver, for example, he'll take a while and have no pressure to produce. On a team like Caroline he can be a #1 starter by default.

I don't think he's flashy enough to be a big play guy. Not enough shakes for big YAC and not enough speed to run away from guys. He reminds me more of post-AZ Boldin if I have to make a comparison.

I was impressed in the two games I saw him, BG and Michigan. I'd like to see some tape of him vs Dennard and Roby though.

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Todd McShay believes Indiana WR Cody Latimer is an "ideal fit in a West Coast type system."
"WR Latimer ideal fit in a West Coast type system. Gets off press. No fear over middle. Great transition up-field after catch. Underrated!," McShay tweeted. The West Coast system is dominated by a ton of crossing routes and slants and Latimer excels in that area of the field, especially after the catch. McShay was also impressed with Latimer's "size" and "excellent ball skills and body control." Latimer has been mentioned as one of the sleepers in the draft, but at this moment his draft stock could be on the rise. He’s forecast as a late day two or day three pick.

Source: Todd McShay on Twitter

The real 'next Andre Johnson?' He's a 6'2"+, 215-pound WR who reportedly ran a sub 4.4 and had a 39" vert while still rehabbing a foot injury at his pro day. He had the most bench reps at the his position at the combine. He was just good statistically in college, not great or awesome. My eyes think there is more to him. His rout running and hands are great. He finished his career strong. There is lots to like about him as a value pick. He could be a steal.

http://youtu.be/fYO2qhgXD6s

http://mockdraftable.com/player/4518/

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/cody-latimer-1/gamelog/2013/
After watching that highlight reel, I'm on board with that. I think he has better hands also. The catch at 1:31 of the highlight video from March 30th is textbook catching. Just the way I want to see the WR catch the ball in that scenario.

The real 'next Andre Johnson?' He's a 6'2"+, 215-pound WR who reportedly ran a sub 4.4 and had a 39" vert while still rehabbing a foot injury at his pro day. He had the most bench reps at the his position at the combine. He was just good statistically in college, not great or awesome. My eyes think there is more to him. His rout running and hands are great. He finished his career strong. There is lots to like about him as a value pick. He could be a steal.

http://youtu.be/fYO2qhgXD6s

http://mockdraftable.com/player/4518/

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/cody-latimer-1/gamelog/2013/
After watching that highlight reel, I'm on board with that. I think he has better hands also. The catch at 1:31 of the highlight video from March 30th is textbook catching. Just the way I want to see the WR catch the ball in that scenario.
Yea, that was just a monster game. He had eight catches for 136 yards and one TD. At 2:20 he takes a drag 70 yards upfield to show some explosiveness for a guy his size.

6 catches in this one for 137 and a TD. He ran a sharp dbl move here at :37

http://youtu.be/IAmX6gPDA8A

NFL Prospect Focus: Donte Moncrief and Cody Latimer

Source: Cody Latimer has visited Bills, to visit Eagles, Lions, Raiders, Seahawks, Chargers, Panthers

Rotoworld:

The Panthers will have dinner with Indiana WR Cody Latimer on April 8 and put him through classroom exercises the following day, according to NFL.com's Gil Brandt.
Brandt previously reported the Panthers will host Latimer for a visit on April 24, so this is a considerable amount of interest. With that said, numerous teams go through these kinds of activities with a number of prospects each year, but many are unreported. Receivers coach Ricky Proehl and director of college scouting Don Gregory will be the contingent that visits Latimer.

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Indiana WR Cody Latimer has been working with Brandon Marshall during the draft process.
ESPN's Louis Riddick notes the receiver is specifically working on his separation ability. "Young players that identify weaknesses in their game and attack them stick out to me. Great sign going forward," Riddick tweeted. Latimer might be the fastest "rising" prospect in this class.

Source: Louis Riddick on Twitter

Indiana's Cody Latimer has busy month with team meetingsBy Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

There is a deep pool of wide receivers in this year's draft, and Indiana's Cody Latimer appears to be one of the fastest-rising prospects at the position.

NFL Media senior draft analyst Gil Brandt said Latimer already has met with Buffalo, is visiting with Philadelphia on Monday and has meetings set up with Carolina (Tuesday), Detroit (Friday), Oakland (April 14), Seattle (April 15) and San Diego (April 16). Brandt tweeted that Carolina wide receiver coach Ricky Proehl and Panthers director of college scouting Don Gregory will have dinner with Latimer on Tuesday and have a class-room exercise for him on Wednesday.

Latimer (6-foot-2½, 215 pounds) had foot surgery in January and was not able to work out at February's NFL Scouting Combine. He also was not able to do any position drills at IU's pro day on March 26, but did run the 40-yard dash in 4.44 seconds and turned in an impressive 39-inch vertical jump. That is good speed and solid athleticism for a guy his size, and those numbers and his size - - coupled with his production in a pass-happy attack in college - - has led to some speculation that Latimer could go late in the first round or early in the second.

Philadelphia, which picks 22nd, and Carolina, which picks 28th, definitely have a need for wide receivers and Latimer could entice both, though taking Latimer 22nd seems a reach. Carolina, in particular, would seem to be desperate for a receiver. San Diego (25th pick) and Seattle (32nd) also could be interested in taking a receiver in the first round.

Oakland (fourth pick in the second round) and Detroit (13th pick in second round) likely see a need for a wide receiver, while Buffalo (ninth pick in the second round) would seem to be a stretch at that point after acquiring Mike Williams from Tampa Bay late last week.

Latimer left IU after his junior season, and he had 123 receptions for 1,901 yards (15.5 yards per reception) and 15 TDs in his final two seasons with the Hoosiers, who attempted a combined 1,007 passes in 2012 and '13.

Latimer didn't play football until his junior season of high school in Dayton, Ohio, and he didn't redshirt at IU, which means he has played just five seasons of organized football. He still is learning the nuances of the position (his route-running, in particular, can be sloppy), but in his final season-and-a-half with the Hoosiers, he began to use his big body to his advantage.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Scout's Take Blog: Draft observations by an ex-NFL player, scout

By Bucky Brooks

Excerpt:

Cody Latimer: Is the buzz legitimate?Posted: April 8, 2014 at 12:16 p.m.

The pro-day season provides scouts with plenty of opportunities to uncover diamonds in the rough. Evaluators will spot a "workout warrior" shining in drills at an on-campus workout, leading him to spend extra time watching game tape to see if the athleticism shows up in game action.

I've stressed the importance of keeping a workout in perspective, but it's important to cross-reference the game tape of elite athletes to avoid missing out on a potential sleeper on draft day. More important, I've learned to pay close attention to any prospect creating a buzz on the pro-day circuit because he's likely to make a meteoric rise up the charts. The lasting image of a pro-day workout leaves an indelible mark on the minds of coaches searching for a hidden gem to develop at the next level.

That's why I'm intrigued by the sudden interest in Indiana WR Cody Latimer after he put on a spectacular performance at his pro day. A 6-2, 215-pound junior, Latimer clocked 40 times ranging from 4.39 to 4.44 despite recently recovering from a broken foot that kept him from working out in front of scouts at the NFL Scouting Combine. He also posted a 39-inch vertical jump, silencing the doubts about his explosiveness and athleticism. I thought I should pop in the tape to see if the recent buzz about his NFL prospects is warranted. Here's what I discovered:

AthleticismIt's hard to find big, athletic pass catchers with the kind of speed and explosiveness that Latimer displays on the field. He shows exceptional first-step quickness out of his stance, but I was more impressed with his balance and body control when changing directions. Additionally, Latimer flashes outstanding leaping ability on the perimeter, which makes his combination of size, speed and length tough to defend in one-on-one situations. Given the challenges Latimer's overall athleticism poses to defenders, I believe he will rank as a blue-chip athlete on most draft boards.

Ball skillsLatimer is a rare size-speed athlete with long arms and outstanding leaping ability. He expands the strike zone for the quarterback with his athleticism, which is a critical asset at the next level. As a pass catcher, Latimer shows strong hands and superb ball skills. He easily tracks and adjusts to errant passes, exhibiting tremendous body control snagging bad balls near the sideline. Lattimer will occasionally drop some easy passes, but his hands and length should make him a terrific pass catcher in traffic as a pro.

Route-running abilityLatimer didn't have a lot of exposure to advanced route-running concepts in Indiana's spread offense, but his overall athleticism should make him a solid route runner in time. He has the straight-line speed to excel on vertical routes, yet also has the body control to get in and out of breaks on short and intermediate routes. He will need to eliminate the extra steps at the top of his breaks, but an astute position coach will help Latimer refine his game at the next level. If he can master the subtleties of route running early in his career, he could emerge as a potential No. 1 receiver in the right situation.

Running skillsLatimer is a legitimate big-play threat with the ball in his hands in the open field. He possesses the size, physicality and toughness to run through contact but is also fast enough to separate from defenders in space. Placed in a West Coast offensive system that places a premium on "catch-and-run" playmakers, Latimer could thrive on slants, crossing routes and dig routes between the hashes. With more teams seeking big-bodied receivers on the perimeter to anchor the passing game, Latimer's running skills will make him a coveted prospect in several draft rooms around the league.

ConclusionAfter studying Latimer's performance as a junior, I believe the buzz surrounding his game and potential is legitimate. He is a superb athlete with tantalizing physical dimensions. Although he is still a work in progress as a route runner, he has all of the traits to develop into a solid starter in the NFL, with the potential to become a No. 1 receiver. I would rank him as a solid second-round talent, but I could see him ranking higher in some draft rooms based on the growing preference for big-bodied receivers on the perimeter.

Finally have a video. Cody Latimer's Pro Day 40 time is legit, I have his splits as follows:

10-yard: 1.57

20-yard: 2.57

40-yard: 4.40 +/- .3

The finish isn't clear from the angle, but the 10-yard and 20-yard marks were.

To put things into perspective, his 10-yard and 20-yard splits are the same as Brandin Cooks'.

Finally have a video. Cody Latimer's Pro Day 40 time is legit, I have his splits as follows:

10-yard: 1.57

20-yard: 2.57

40-yard: 4.40 +/- .3

The finish isn't clear from the angle, but the 10-yard and 20-yard marks were.

To put things into perspective, his 10-yard and 20-yard splits are the same as Brandin Cooks'.
Impressive. I'm going to have to study up on this guy in a hurry. Kind of off my radar until recently.

Yeah I have one league I am in where I have the 1.09 and then don't pick again until the 3.12. I doubt Latimer comes into play with either of those picks. However in my other league, a 2QB league, I have the 1.2, 1.5, 2.2, 2.6, and 3.2 and I think a guy like Latimer might be in play with that 2.2 or 2.6 pick even in a 2QB league.

Watched 2 games, MSU and Mizzue. Was very impressed in both games. Went against very good CBs who where aggressive at the LOS and showed an ability to consistently beat the jam. By the end of the game you could see MSU's CBs lost confidence at jamming him. Explosive first step that jumps off the screen. Gets even with DBs in a hurry but seems to throttle down and never reach his 5th gear. Plucks the ball well and boxes well. Rounds his cuts at times because he gets lazy and doesn't sink the hips. When he does sink his hips though, it's near impossible to cover. Very physical in blocking, attacks the DB and drives his legs. Was a victim of horrible QB play and was tough to see how well he tracks the ball over his shoulder. May have to find more footage.

As of now I'd rank him outside my top 5 but could put him as high as 6.

Watched 2 games, MSU and Mizzue. Was very impressed in both games. Went against very good CBs who where aggressive at the LOS and showed an ability to consistently beat the jam. By the end of the game you could see MSU's CBs lost confidence at jamming him. Explosive first step that jumps off the screen. Gets even with DBs in a hurry but seems to throttle down and never reach his 5th gear. Plucks the ball well and boxes well. Rounds his cuts at times because he gets lazy and doesn't sink the hips. When he does sink his hips though, it's near impossible to cover. Very physical in blocking, attacks the DB and drives his legs. Was a victim of horrible QB play and was tough to see how well he tracks the ball over his shoulder. May have to find more footage.

If he is in your top 6, curious who is in your top 5?

My top 5;Watkins

Lee

Evans

Beckham

Adams

My top 5;Watkins

Lee

Evans

Beckham

Adams
Thanks for sharing. I also have Adams at 5 or 6. I wonder where most have Adams ranked, not to get too OT. My top 7:

Watkins

A Rob

Cooks

Matthews

Adams

OBJ

Evans

Evans has been sliding down my rankings last few days. Truth is all the above have a decent shot of being best in class

I think the Seahawks consider him at #32 and make it a Bruce Irvin esq shocker. They tend to pick freaky athletes with their first pick. Guy fits the mold of what they want.

Going to be super leery of a player that no none talked about till his workout in shorts.
He's been known for a while. He's an early entry to the draft. Had ~1100 receiving yards and 9 TDs as a junior on a crappy Indiana team.

I think there would've been more buzz earlier if he had been healthy for the combine, but he didn't work out there. Out of sight, out of mind.

It's not like he's some raw project with no production though. Playing for Indiana is part of why he's been under the radar.

Stick him on USC, Georgia, or Florida State and you would've heard more earlier.

Going to be super leery of a player that no none talked about till his workout in shorts.
Been talking about him as my favourite sleeper and as one of the best WRs in the class for months on these boards. Example:

Time Kibitzer said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Indiana junior WR Cody Latimer has signed with an agent and has declared for the NFL draft, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.
Latimer is reportedly training in Florida. Latimer hauled in 72 receptions for 1,096 yards and nine touchdowns this season and is listed at 6'3/206 pounds. There was some turnover at the quarterback position, but Latimer was arguably the school's best offensive player.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
Never heard of this kid until 15 minutes ago, but after doing a bit of research this guy looks really good. Real nice size at 6'3, 215lbs, nice production at 70 receptions, 1100 yards, 9 TDs, showed up against tough opponents like Missouri, Penn State, and Michigan, and he even had a nice 1 on 1 jump ball TD catch against the best CB in the country in Darqueze Dennard that's viewable here. And watching some other highlights videos (video 1, video 2) he definitely looks the part of an NFL #1 WR displaying speed, really nice hands and WR skills, and winning a bunch of jump balls. Would like to see more examples of him taking short passes deep with his YAC ability, but even so, guy has immediately become one of my favourite WRs in this draft.

From Charger.com, their take on WR Cody Latimer.

http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Prospect-Profile-Cody-Latimer/727a1b14-e971-460e-920f-7bca18d96a2b

Prospect Profile: Cody Latimer

In order to familiarize fans with some of the top names in the 2014 NFL Draft, Chargers.com will be highlighting a different prospect each weekday leading up to the first day of the draft on May 8th.

We continue the series with a scouting report of wide receiver Cody Latimer.

Name: Cody Latimer
School: Indiana
Height: 6-2

Weight: 215 pounds
Position: Wide Receiver

To say Cody Latimer’s stock is rising right now would be an understatement. The Indiana wide receiver has generated so much buzz as of late that the once under the radar prospect is now poised to be an early selection come draft day.

Latimer improved by leaps and bounds over his career with the Hoosiers, culminating in an impressive junior season. He was the team’s leading receiver in 2013, catching 72 balls for 1,096 yards and nine touchdowns. Latimer’s best game came in a 52-35 win over Illinois when he had a career day, catching 11 passes for 189 yards and three touchdowns. Over three seasons in B

Bloomington he recorded 135 receptions for 2,042 yards and 17 touchdowns.

At 6-2, 215-pounds, Latimer possesses terrific size for his position. As a result, he has a ridiculously big catch radius, and when the ball is near him he almost always comes up with the catch. While not the speediest wideout, Latimer is sneakily faster than most think. He is also possesses brute strength, posting the most reps on the bench press (23) than any other wideout despite barely participating in February’s Scouting Combine due to a left foot injury.

Primarily a basketball standout in high school, Latimer is still learning the nuances of the game, but there is no denying his raw ability. Looking at Latimer’s complete package of strength, athleticism and steady hands, it’s no wonder he is shooting up the draft charts.

Combine Metrics
Bench Press: 23 reps

I wanted to check out Latimer on youtube and the first highlight clip that popped up was half dunking a basketball and the Indiana Spring game. I guess he doesn't have too many actual highlights.

Been talking about him as my favourite sleeper and as one of the best WRs in the class for months on these boards. Example:

Time Kibitzer said:
Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Indiana junior WR Cody Latimer has signed with an agent and has declared for the NFL draft, according to draft insider Tony Pauline.
Latimer is reportedly training in Florida. Latimer hauled in 72 receptions for 1,096 yards and nine touchdowns this season and is listed at 6'3/206 pounds. There was some turnover at the quarterback position, but Latimer was arguably the school's best offensive player.

Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter
Never heard of this kid until 15 minutes ago, but after doing a bit of research this guy looks really good. Real nice size at 6'3, 215lbs, nice production at 70 receptions, 1100 yards, 9 TDs, showed up against tough opponents like Missouri, Penn State, and Michigan, and he even had a nice 1 on 1 jump ball TD catch against the best CB in the country in Darqueze Dennard that's viewable here. And watching some other highlights videos (video 1, video 2) he definitely looks the part of an NFL #1 WR displaying speed, really nice hands and WR skills, and winning a bunch of jump balls. Would like to see more examples of him taking short passes deep with his YAC ability, but even so, guy has immediately become one of my favourite WRs in this draft.
Taken at the literal defintion "one of the best" means he's just not the worst. I'm sure you don't mean that. So what is "one of the best"? Top 20? 10?

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay said on the "First Draft" podcast that he was "blown away" by Indiana WR Cody Latimer's game tape.
The analyst mentioned Latimer's size, burst, sticky hands and route running amongst his numerous strengths. The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Latimer clocked forties ranging from 4.39 to 4.44 at his pro day despite not being totally healed from a broken foot. "I watched five full games of him, and he didn't drop a pass," McShay gushed. He concluded: "I think Latimer is one of the sleepers in this class. ... He belongs in the top 50 picks." McShay believes he'd be a good fit in a West Coast system such as Kansas City's.

Source: ESPN's First Draft Podcast

ESPN's Mel Kiper slotted Indiana WR Cody Latimer to the Saints at No. 27 in a mock draft published on Thursday.
Latimer has seen one of the most meteoric risers of this year's process, along with Pitt QB Tom Savage. "No player has risen faster on my board recently, and I'm not alone," Kiper wrote. "He's always looked good in the size/speed equation, it's just that a closer look shows you a player who was extremely reliable as a pass-catcher. The Saints need depth at wide receiver after losing one of Drew Brees' favorite targets in Lance Moore, not to mention the departure of Darren Sproles in a pass-catching sense." Latimer probably won't make it out of the top half of the second round. The 6-foot-2, 215-pounder ran a 4.39 forty at his pro day on a healing foot that wasn't 100-percent healthy coming off a break.

Source: ESPN Insider

Apr 18 - 12:28 AM

Users who are viewing this thread