What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

✍ Knowshon Moreno to season ending IR. (1 Viewer)

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
Free-agency spotlight: Knowshon Moreno

By Jeff Legwold | ESPN.com

Maybe it would be different for Knowshon Moreno if some things had happened more quickly for him than they did. Or maybe it would be different if some things hadn't happened at all.

But in the wake of a season in which he finally turned potential into production for the Denver Broncos -- when he rebounded from injuries, grew up and became the most reliable option in the Broncos' run game -- Moreno will soon be one of the most proven running backs on the open market.

Because that's where the Broncos' chief football decision-maker, John Elway, said all of the team's unrestricted free agents were headed with "I think they have to hit the market, the market sets those [contracts]."

After Montee Ball missed a blitz pickup in a preseason loss in Seattle and quarterback Peyton Manning took what was perhaps the biggest hit he's taken in his Broncos tenure, Moreno was largely the running back of choice in any situation. Moreno became the best option in pass protection when the Broncos were in their three-wide-receiver set, which was on roughly three of every four plays they ran last season, and he was the top choice in the run game as well.

And when all was said and done in the team's record-setting performance on offense, Moreno -- a player whose maturity, preparation and attention span were questioned at times in his first five seasons in Denver -- was suddenly the standard bearer.

Moreno's a guy who, as running backs coach Eric Studesville put it, "if one of our other guys wants to see how to do it, how to come to work and work, no matter where you are on the depth chart, Knowshon is the guy to look at ... I always say, I'd like to think I played a small role in that, but Knowshon did that. Knowshon made himself into what he is."

Moreno rushed for 1,038 yards (his first 1,000-yard season) and scored 10 rushing touchdowns, one of five Broncos players with at least 10 touchdowns last season. He also caught 60 passes and three more touchdowns. Toss in the fact he was the best option as a pass protector in the backfield as well, and the Broncos have plenty of work to spread around in a run game that is expected to be a priority in the coming months.

"When you talk about Knowshon, he had a tremendous year for us," Elway said. "You look at the year -- he was reliable, he caught the ball, ran the football for us and was also tremendous in pass protection. Knowshon was a big part of what we did this year."

But Moreno had a torn ACL repaired in 2011 to go with a stem-cell procedure on his knee last offseason after he was injured in the playoff loss to the Baltimore Ravens. He also missed much of two training camps early in his career with injuries and the Broncos have begun the plan to move on over the past two years having selected Ronnie Hillman in the third round of the 2012 draft and Ball in the second round of the 2013 draft.

Moreno will turn 27 in July, so in the world of running backs he's still considered by personnel executives to have some miles left on the career odometer. The knee injuries will be a concern for some evaluators, especially if Moreno's representatives are looking for a longer-term deal.

The Broncos could give Moreno a look later in free agency on their terms, but he is expected to draw a better offer elsewhere.

The Broncos will look for Ball to go from productive No. 2 option -- 559 yards rushing at 4.7 yards per carry this past season -- to starter in the coming weeks. Ball, who lost three fumbles by Nov. 24 last season, settled in nicely the rest of the way, playing well down the stretch and into the postseason. Ball also caught 20 passes last season and his role in the passing game will be the part of his skill set that will need the most attention in the offseason. With Manning at quarterback, the No. 1 back in the Broncos' offense is always going to be a threat for 50 receptions.

Hillman is facing a critical offseason. The Broncos handed him the starting job last May and into training camp.

Not only did Hillman not keep the job, he didn't respond well with the competition as the season wore on and was a non-factor for much of the year and especially in the postseason.

There is a crop of bigger running backs in this draft -- there were 17 running backs at this year's scouting combine who weighed in at 218 pounds or more compared to 10 at the 2013 combine and 14 in 2012 -- and the Broncos will give several of those runners a long look in the draft.

But in the end they certainly like what Moreno became this past season. Now they want Ball to be all that, and perhaps even a little more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Moreno as just another guy. He's improved from where he was the first two years, but still a jack of all trades back. His best landing spot is back in Denver protecting Peyton Manning's neck. If reports are true that he's going to get a payday, he's going to likely bolt for the cash. I don't blame him for that, but it will likely be his last good payday. He's NFL starter replacement level quality that will be oversold to somebody in free agency. I think his biggest mistake will be if he decides against offering the Broncos a hometown discount.

I see Moreno as just another guy. He's improved from where he was the first two years, but still a jack of all trades back. His best landing spot is back in Denver protecting Peyton Manning's neck. If reports are true that he's going to get a payday, he's going to likely bolt for the cash. I don't blame him for that, but it will likely be his last good payday. He's NFL starter replacement level quality that will be oversold to somebody in free agency. I think his biggest mistake will be if he decides against offering the Broncos a hometown discount.
He should stay in Denver but how much does Denver want him back is the question. If the money difference is substantial he'll prob have to jump. Obviously his value is going to take a pretty big hit when he leaves Denver. And how much is going to depend on where he ends up.

Good post.

The grass isn't always greener...the money might be, and the weed might be, but best for him to re-sign at a reasonable price with the Broncos.

Good post.

The grass isn't always greener...the money might be, and the weed might be, but best for him to re-sign at a reasonable price with the Broncos.
What is a reasonable price? Does Denver even have room to make a competitive offer? I think if he is weighing $5 million a year elsewhere versus $4 million from Denver (for example), it would be in his best interest to stay, but can/would Denver offer anything that would be competitive?

One place that has the cap room that I can see him going to is the Miami Dolphins (they have about $22 million if I am correct). Granted, they will need a majority of that to fix their broken line, but he would keep Tannehill upright, and give them a steady presence in the running game.

Good post.

Other than potentially winning a SB, I fail to see how it's beneficial for him to stay in Denver - he'll be making less money and always be looking over his back with Ball waiting in the wings.

One place that has the cap room that I can see him going to is the Miami Dolphins (they have about $22 million if I am correct). Granted, they will need a majority of that to fix their broken line, but he would keep Tannehill upright, and give them a steady presence in the running game.
That would be a good spot, he's certainly an improvement over what they have.

Moreno is JAG with the ball in his hands, but he's a major positive in terms of blocking, route running, locker room, etc. it'll be interesting to see where he stands market value-wise compared to other RBs who might be more dynamic / less complete. I don't think any of this year's FA RBs even sniff $5 million / year though.

Good post.

Other than potentially winning a SB, I fail to see how it's beneficial for him to stay in Denver - he'll be making less money and always be looking over his back with Ball waiting in the wings.
Obviously you know NFL contracts are not guaranteed, so it's beneficial for him to be in a situation where he can produce and play out his next contract. If people believe he's JAG who looks good because of Manning, he likely won't play out his contract and long-term lose money if he's playing for a team with a lousy QB.

I hope the Broncos aren't clearing cap space to give him a better deal (along with other signings). I would rather give Decker $10 million than Moreno $5 million. I also have Ball in a few leagues so my hope he doesn't re-sign falls on the selfish side.

Good post.

Obviously you know NFL contracts are not guaranteed, so it's beneficial for him to be in a situation where he can produce and play out his next contract. If people believe he's JAG who looks good because of Manning, he likely won't play out his contract and long-term lose money if he's playing for a team with a lousy QB.
My bet is that he believes he's more than a JAG, and isn't worried about failing.

With all the talk about the "bad" situations he can end up in and how "average" he is, I think what people may be failing to recognize is that almost any "average" RB (I'm starting to think Moreno is better than people are giving him credit for) can put up numbers and be productive if he's being fed the ball.

Let's look a a few teams that have a need for a RB and have the cap space to sign Moreno:

Oakland

NY Jets

Cleveland

Tennessee

NY Giants (I'm not sure they have the cap room, but maybe he takes a hometown discount)

A bunch of "average" (or even below average) RBs like Chris Ivory, Rashad Jennings, Andre Brown, and Chris Ogbayana (Chris Johnson excluded since he's above average) were productive backs last season for the Jets, Raiders, Giants and Browns, respectively, when they were asked to carry the load.

Moreno, who was drafted at 12 overall, is more talented, and more well rounded, than any of those backs.

Poeple love to spend other people's money. This will be Moreno's last chance at a big payday, he will and should jump on it not matter what. The guy will be cast aside by the NFL by age 31 or 32. Winning is nice and all, but he has a long life ahead of him.

No market for RBs means he could stay in Denver, thus messing with Montee Ball owners.

'

A source who "actively worked the phones" on the first day of the NFL's free-agency negotiating period Saturday noted to Profootballtalk.com that "there's currently no market for running backs."
This really shouldn't be a surprise because running back is a replaceable position in the NFL, and the only above-replacement-level talents in this year's class are Ben Tate and Darren McFadden. Both have checkered injury track records. If Knowshon Moreno's price stays low enough, we could see him staying in Denver. It'd be a concern for Montee Ball's 2014 fantasy outlook.

No market for RBs means he could stay in Denver, thus messing with Montee Ball owners.

'

A source who "actively worked the phones" on the first day of the NFL's free-agency negotiating period Saturday noted to Profootballtalk.com that "there's currently no market for running backs."
This really shouldn't be a surprise because running back is a replaceable position in the NFL, and the only above-replacement-level talents in this year's class are Ben Tate and Darren McFadden. Both have checkered injury track records. If Knowshon Moreno's price stays low enough, we could see him staying in Denver. It'd be a concern for Montee Ball's 2014 fantasy outlook.
interesting but makes sense. Teams are finding starting running backs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds these days so why give any significant money to 26/27 year old running backs with average talent.

Wouldn't mind him staying in Denver - remember , eight months ago, Moreno wasn't supposed to be much of a factor in 2013.

What owners should hope for is he goes to one of these places, Saints, Broncos, Colts, Atlanta, Giants, or Cowboys.

What I expect is for him to take the greatest payday. This is really his only shot of getting a big payday and because of that quite a few of these spots aren't likely to happen.

If he was smart, he stays in Denver and starts until Manning retires. Denver doesn't need a stud back, Denver needs a back that is going to keep Manning's jersey clean until he retires. I guarantee Manning will not let his 2014 season rely on Montee fumblin' and bumblin' Ball.

I think he stays put, maybe gets a two-year deal.

I have no idea what Cleveland is thinking about Baker or Lewis, or whether they really want Tate, but they could use an all purpose, reliable pro like Moreno.

About Denver: that may be his best move, but they may not pay him. Thing is all Denver has ever tried to do is replace him and Ball is just another in a long line, and the fact is that Moreno just runs, blocks, receives, does goal-line duty all pretty well, does real yeoman duty whenever called upon, and then that amazing performance vs the Pats, that was epic. He belongs in Denver, they should keep him and he should stay if the money's decent.

Thing is all Denver has ever tried to do is replace him and Ball is just another in a long line, and the fact is that Moreno just runs, blocks, receives, does goal-line duty all pretty well, does real yeoman duty whenever called upon, and then that amazing performance vs the Pats, that was epic. He belongs in Denver, they should keep him and he should stay if the money's decent.
:huh:

Moreno has had barely more than 1 successful season. He was measuring up to be an epic bust who was going to end up the lesser end of a RBBC before that.

The long line of RBs acquired to replace Moreno amounts to Hillman and Ball, and Ball outplayed Moreno the second half of the season while showing between the tackles and short yardage ability that Moreno doesn't have.

Not sure why DEN would want Moreno back if CJ Anderson is healthy. A rotation of Ball as RB1 and Anderson backing him up with Hillman, who I don't think they are prepared to give up on, as a CoP looks like an awfully economical bunch of RBs who can do more than enough to get the job done. Spend the cap space elsewhere.

Thing is all Denver has ever tried to do is replace him and Ball is just another in a long line, and the fact is that Moreno just runs, blocks, receives, does goal-line duty all pretty well, does real yeoman duty whenever called upon, and then that amazing performance vs the Pats, that was epic. He belongs in Denver, they should keep him and he should stay if the money's decent.

Moreno has had barely more than 1 successful season. He was measuring up to be an epic bust who was going to end up the lesser end of a RBBC before that.

The long line of RBs acquired to replace Moreno amounts to Hillman and Ball, and Ball outplayed Moreno the second half of the season while showing between the tackles and short yardage ability that Moreno doesn't have.

Not sure why DEN would want Moreno back if CJ Anderson is healthy. A rotation of Ball as RB1 and Anderson backing him up with Hillman, who I don't think they are prepared to give up on, as a CoP looks like an awfully economical bunch of RBs who can do more than enough to get the job done. Spend the cap space elsewhere.
And McGahee, Buckhalter, Maroney, Lance Ball... Moreno has stuck around for 5 years now. That rotation sounds fine, maybe it will be great, you're right they're moving on and making plans. Moreno's not great, he's not a stud, but it just seems to me he's always done well when called upon in all phases. He's just good, but good can be plenty. Not saying he's worth whatever's he's asking, not saying he's an NFL or FF RB1, just at the right price he's reliable and a good fit for any team, and any team could do worse. I just think he's a solid pro. Remains to be seen how Ball, Anderson and Hillman will do as a group, I guess Denver is ready to find out.

:huh:Moreno has had barely more than 1 successful season. He was measuring up to be an epic bust who was going to end up the lesser end of a RBBC before that.

And McGahee, Buckhalter, Maroney, Lance Ball... Moreno has stuck around for 5 years now. That rotation sounds fine, maybe it will be great, you're right they're moving on and making plans. Moreno's not great, he's not a stud, but it just seems to me he's always done well when called upon in all phases. He's just good, but good can be plenty. Not saying he's worth whatever's he's asking, not saying he's an NFL or FF RB1, just at the right price he's reliable and a good fit for any team, and any team could do worse. I just think he's a solid pro. Remains to be seen how Ball, Anderson and Hillman will do as a group, I guess Denver is ready to find out.
None of those RBs above were there to replace Moreno. Moreno was a virtual nonentity when those guys were on the DEN roster.

I can't argue with the latter sentiment. Moreno will have value for some team. He's the kind of guy who had a solid all-around game - with the exception of running for power, which is a weakness - while not really excelling at any one thing.

Uh, no.

Weeks 9-17:

Moreno 133-582 rushing (4.4 YPC), 31-261 receiving (8.4 YPC), 4 touchdowns

Ball 65-297 rushing (4.6 YPC), 181-118 receiving (6.6 YPC), 3 touchdowns

And let's not forget Ball's disastrous fumble against the Patriots, that was key to their huge 2nd half comeback.

Uh, no.

Weeks 9-17:

And let's not forget Ball's disastrous fumble against the Patriots, that was key to their huge 2nd half comeback.
It's close though and Ball is making $500k.

:huh:Moreno has had barely more than 1 successful season. He was measuring up to be an epic bust who was going to end up the lesser end of a RBBC before that.

Uh, no.

Weeks 9-17:

Moreno might end up not making a ton more than that. Not a good year to be a FA RB.

Uh, no.

Weeks 9-17:

Okay, well I guess I prefer a RB who averages 5.45 ypc as opposed to one who averages 4.28 ypc. That's what Ball did compared to Moreno the last 9 games. Ball also scored 4 TDs to Moreno's 5 in that stretch, despite getting a hair less than half the touches. The other thing I like about Ball is some of the little unsung stuff. Manning's 2 TD passes in the Conference championship game? Both set up and immediately following Ball converting 3rd and short plays inside the 10 yd line.

So go ahead and make your case for Moreno being better in the second half of the season, but I'll respectfully disagree. Seems like DEN management likes Ball better going forward also.

Uh, no.

Weeks 9-17:

Moreno might end up not making a ton more than that. Not a good year to be a FA RB.
Rashad Jennings got 4 years/$14M, $3M guaranteed.

If Moreno can't get that then it doesn't speak well about what the league thinks of his talent.

Seems like Moreno is going to get a cheap contract somewhere, but still will probably go to a situation that will create another maddening RBBC.

Uh, no.

Weeks 9-17:

Rashad Jennings got 4 years/$14M, $3M guaranteed.

If Moreno can't get that then it doesn't speak well about what the league thinks of his talent.
No, it really doesn't. I haven't heard anything about him even being brought in for a visit anywhere. Personally, I'd take him over Donald Brown at least -- for his blocking alone if nothing else.

Uh, no.

Weeks 9-17:

Gerhart and Brown each got over $3MM a year - Moreno should get at least that. Not everything happens right away.

How many years did Manning hand off to Addai who was nothing special outside of a guy who could block and catch check downs?

How many years did Manning hand off to Addai who was nothing special outside of a guy who could block and catch check downs?
Addai and Moreno were both first round NFL picks. I think the whole "nothing special" meme gets a little exaggerated sometimes. Neither guy are/were elite talents - but they were both talented backs.

Even before Moreno broke out last year I have always felt he is a solid good all around RB that can do well running and catching but he is limited because he just isn't a game breaker. He is very good at many things an NFL RB needs to do but not a great difference maker. With the way the NFL offenses run today he is still good but replaceable. He isn't going to get big money but will find a role either with a team wanting to add a good RB or he could very well end up back in Denver with an affordable contract.

Addai and Moreno were both first round NFL picks. I think the whole "nothing special" meme gets a little exaggerated sometimes. Neither guy are/were elite talents - but they were both talented backs.
I agree. Addai was a monster for me for years despite his sub 4.0 YPC. Moreno is exactly what the Bronco's need as long as he doesn't get greedy...

Bronco Billy said:
Ghost Rider said:

Uh, no.

Weeks 9-17:

Okay, well I guess I prefer a RB who averages 5.45 ypc as opposed to one who averages 4.28 ypc. That's what Ball did compared to Moreno the last 9 games. Ball also scored 4 TDs to Moreno's 5 in that stretch, despite getting a hair less than half the touches.The other thing I like about Ball is some of the little unsung stuff. Manning's 2 TD passes in the Conference championship game? Both set up and immediately following Ball converting 3rd and short plays inside the 10 yd line.

So go ahead and make your case for Moreno being better in the second half of the season, but I'll respectfully disagree. Seems like DEN management likes Ball better going forward also.
Feel free to cherry pick how many games you want all you want, but the bottom line is that Moreno is a better RB for the offense the Broncos runs. Let's assume that Ball is the better runner, for the sake of argument. There are three other important jobs for a RB in the Broncos current offensive system: catching the ball, protecting the ball, and pass protection. And Moreno surpasses Ball by a wide margin in all three of those areas right now. Ball can still improve a lot, so who knows what could happen next season, but Moreno was unquestionably the best Denver RB in 2013, and if they can bring him back for relatively cheap, don't think they won't do it. Moreno is not that great of a RB, but he is a perfect fit for the Broncos offense, and most people know it, which is probably why he hasn't gotten a great offer to grab early on here in free agency.

Users who are viewing this thread