What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andre Williams - RB (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy

227 lbs

The more I watch this guy, the more I begin to realize he is the complete package at Running Back. He's got size, speed, and power. Definitely an upgrade over the RB on a few teams in the league.

2nd / 3rd Rounder. Excited to see where he lands. I want to see a 4.4 forty.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujt1S9P2XHE

Last edited by a moderator:
I like him. I hope he runs well. Not that the 40 is everything. But he seems like a high character guy and I'm rooting for him.

I doubt you'll see a 4.4, but my concern with him is his side-to-side ability. Otherwise he'll just be Knile Davis (strong, big, straight-line speed). Although I think regardless that he'll be drafted higher than Davis. But there were other factors with him.

I doubt you'll see a 4.4, but my concern with him is his side-to-side ability. Otherwise he'll just be Knile Davis (strong, big, straight-line speed). Although I think regardless that he'll be drafted higher than Davis. But there were other factors with him.
Just another Knile Davis? I'd take Davis over Williams all day everyday. I'd be shocked if Williams went before the fourth round.

Just another Knile Davis? I'd take Davis over Williams all day everyday. I'd be shocked if Williams went before the fourth round.
As a prospect, not taking into account that Davis actually looked pretty good in spot duty in the NFL.

As a prospect, not taking into account that Davis actually looked pretty good in spot duty in the NFL.
As a prospect. Just checked my predraft list of RB's last year. I had Davis 5th. Davis is bigger and faster. Though he is not very agile, he is still not as stiff as Williams. Williams is better at running through contact once he gets going, thats it.

227 lbs

The more I watch this guy, the more I begin to realize he is the complete package at Running Back. He's got size, speed, and power. Definitely an upgrade over the RB on a few teams in the league.

2nd / 3rd Rounder. Excited to see where he lands. I want to see a 4.4 forty.http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujt1S9P2XHE
I see a whole lotta great blocking by the O-line in that video. :shrug:
If you put Adrian Peterson behind s good line, does that make him any less of a good player? I think Williams has the size and power to take on defenders at the LOS. Give him good blocking and he's gone.

He's a better version of Beanie Wells, imo.

227 lbs

2nd / 3rd Rounder. Excited to see where he lands. I want to see a 4.4 forty.http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujt1S9P2XHE
If you put Adrian Peterson behind s good line, does that make him any less of a good player? I think Williams has the size and power to take on defenders at the LOS. Give him good blocking and he's gone.He's a better version of Beanie Wells, imo.
BC ran the same power play over and over again. I have a close friend in the BC athletic department who agreed with my analysis of Williams. He's a big rb that's not good in short yardage, lacks creativity and agility. He's good when he has an opening ( who isn't) take that away and it's a minimal gain every time.

227 lbs

If you put Adrian Peterson behind s good line, does that make him any less of a good player? I think Williams has the size and power to take on defenders at the LOS. Give him good blocking and he's gone.He's a better version of Beanie Wells, imo.
BC ran the same power play over and over again. I have a close friend in the BC athletic department who agreed with my analysis of Williams. He's a big rb that's not good in short yardage, lacks creativity and agility. He's good when he has an opening ( who isn't) take that away and it's a minimal gain every time.
Sounds like he could be another Brandon Jacobs or Legarrett Blount

227 lbs

Sounds like he could be another Brandon Jacobs or Legarrett Blount
Andre Brown.

A healthy Andre Brown is a pretty good comp. I'd take that. He's put one RB out to pasture and basically made a young first rounder irrelevant.

Rotoworld:

An anonymous NFL scout compared Boston College RB Andre Williams to Shonn Greene.
"Really tough kid," one scout said. "If you want somebody to carry the ball 25 times a game between the tackles this is your guy. He's an old-time running back. He would do better without a rotation just wearing people down. Not real elusive, but once he gets out there he just makes plays." The 6-foot, 227-pound Williams finished No. 5 amongst RBs in the paper's poll of NFL scouts. "Lacks twitch, elude," said a second scout. "Strong, tight, downhill, straight-line runner. Needs a lane." A third quoted scout thrashed Williams: "Worst hands I've ever seen. I never even saw them pitch it to him. You would be crazy to pitch it to him. It's so bad, you feel bad for the kid. I saw a game and the pregame was atrocious. He's working on it, but it's, like, 'What have you been doing for four years?'"

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Not a big fan of the Greene comparison. I think Andre Williams is a slightly misunderstood player. He is characterized by some as a plodder, but he actually has pretty good explosiveness (look at his 10'9" broad jump and his solid 40 time for a big back). He's a long strider who isn't very good at operating in tight windows though. Not good at weaving through blockers and changing directions on a dime. Basically a one cut and go type of guy like McFadden, but with less speed and a much bigger frame. Never gonna create his own yards with footwork and elusiveness, but he's not sluggish or slow.

Bump.

I still think Andre Williams is being undervalued and unfairly stereotyped as a straight-line plodder. He's 5'11 230 lbs and ran a 4.56...De'Anthony Thomas ran a 4.5. Think about that.

This guy is a throwback. He's Michael Turner back when we called him "Burner". He's proportionate and he carries the 230 lbs really well so he doesn't look as thick as the Turner we remember (who ended his career closer to 250), but he's got those same monster legs and durable frame.

http://binaryapi.ap.org/3f29781e668b4232aa2d01258c759579/460x.jpg

As a bonus, he greatly improved on his hands catching at his pro day, but that won't erase the memory of the stone hands he showed off at the Combine and for most of his college career.

Wish this thread was started by someone else.

Not a big fan of the Greene comparison. I think Andre Williams is a slightly misunderstood player. He is characterized by some as a plodder, but he actually has pretty good explosiveness (look at his 10'9" broad jump and his solid 40 time for a big back). He's a long strider who isn't very good at operating in tight windows though. Not good at weaving through blockers and changing directions on a dime. Basically a one cut and go type of guy like McFadden, but with less speed and a much bigger frame. Never gonna create his own yards with footwork and elusiveness, but he's not sluggish or slow.
Greene didn't time as fast, but his jumps were very close to Williams: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56686&draftyear=2009&genpos=RB

Bump.

I still think Andre Williams is being undervalued and unfairly stereotyped as a straight-line plodder. He's 5'11 230 lbs and ran a 4.56...De'Anthony Thomas ran a 4.5. Think about that.

This guy is a throwback. He's Michael Turner back when we called him "Burner". He's proportionate and he carries the 230 lbs really well so he doesn't look as thick as the Turner we remember (who ended his career closer to 250), but he's got those same monster legs and durable frame.

As a bonus, he greatly improved on his hands catching at his pro day, but that won't erase the memory of the stone hands he showed off at the Combine and for most of his college career.

Yea, I think he's underrated. He was projected as a 4th round guy by DraftScout for a long time, but they've recently bumped him up to a 3rd rounder and RB5 overall. He has some warts, but also some really impressive athletic qualities with his lower body strength and deceptive mobility. I think he's a player that we might look back on in a couple years and wonder why he wasn't hyped more. On the other hand, if he goes in the 3rd round to a good opportunity then he could leap up the FF boards overnight and make it a moot point, so we'll see what happens.

Andre Brown is spot on. I see that as his ceiling. If you want a career back-up who gets spot starts due to injuries, then Williams is your guy.

EBF said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
Bump.

Yea, I think he's underrated. He was projected as a 4th round guy by DraftScout for a long time, but they've recently bumped him up to a 3rd rounder and RB5 overall. He has some warts, but also some really impressive athletic qualities with his lower body strength and deceptive mobility. I think he's a player that we might look back on in a couple years and wonder why he wasn't hyped more. On the other hand, if he goes in the 3rd round to a good opportunity then he could leap up the FF boards overnight and make it a moot point, so we'll see what happens.
Count me in as an Andre Williams fan. For his size, I like the 40 time, but with pads on, his speed looks even more impressive to me. Mostly every time I've seen him get to the 2nd level, he's got the juice to break a big one. 5 games in a row the guy broke a run over 55 yards. If the defense gets penetration, he's probably going down, but if you're big, run hard, and have speed with pads on, there's a lot of potential.

EBF said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
Bump.

Count me in as an Andre Williams fan. For his size, I like the 40 time, but with pads on, his speed looks even more impressive to me. Mostly every time I've seen him get to the 2nd level, he's got the juice to break a big one. 5 games in a row the guy broke a run over 55 yards. If the defense gets penetration, he's probably going down, but if you're big, run hard, and have speed with pads on, there's a lot of potential.
The word "beast" has become totally played out these days, but I can't think of a more apt description. Guy has the physique of a super hero and surprising sheer speed. The cutback ability is minimal, but being really huge and really fast is usually a pretty good combination in the NFL. When you watch field level highlights, I think you can see that this guy is a better pure athlete than given credit for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPZtevXculs

I don't think that this is a bad landing spot for Williams, as I am not sold on Jennings as a long term answer at the RB position.

Andre Williams, nation's leading rusher, heading to the GiantsBy Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

The New York Giants had a revolving door at running back last season and the front office is hoping fourth-round pick Andre Williams can help solve the problem.

Williams, from Boston College, led the nation with 2,177 rushing yards. That's the fifth-most all-time in FBS history, behind only Oklahoma State's Barry Sanders (2,628 in 1988), UCF's Kevin Smith (2,567 in 2007), USC's Marcus Allen (2,342 in 1981) and Iowa State's Troy Davis (2,185 in 1996).

Williams had nine 100-yard games and five 200-yard outings in 2013, including four contests with at least 263 yards. He also had nine games with at least 25 carries. "Eating carries? Not a problem," NFL Media draft analyst Charles Davis said during NFL Network's draft coverage.

Williams, a 227-pounder, is a physical downhill runner who occasionally can turn the corner. "He's faster than you think at 227 pounds," draft analyst Mike Mayock said on NFL Network.

The flipside? "He does not have natural hands," Mayock said.

That's an understatement: Williams had zero receptions in '13 and just 10 in his four-season career.

One anonymous NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel before the draft that Williams has the "Worst hands I've ever seen. I never even saw them pitch it to him. You would be crazy to pitch it to him. It's so bad, you feel bad for the kid."

Williams graduated from BC in early December with an applied psychology and human development degree. He was unable to attend the ceremony because it came on the same day as the College Football Awards Show, where Williams won the Doak Walker Award given to the nation's top running back. Awards show host Chris Fowler presented him with a mortarboard on stage.

Mayock alluded to Williams' academic achievements by pointing out that he is in the process of writing a book. To that end, Mayock said, his offensive line teammates had taken to calling him "Edgar," as in Edgar Allan Poe.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

New York Giants select Andre Williams 114th overallBy Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

The New York Giants have been looking to improve their power running game for the last few years. Tom Coughlin went to a familiar school to find some help.

The G-Men drafted Boston College running back Andre Williams with the No. 113 pick in the NFL draft. Williams was a Heisman Trophy finalist after leading the nation with 2,177 rushing yards.

He's a downhill thumper that isn't quite as big as Brandon Jacobs, but brings a similar skill set. Williams doesn't figure to be on the field much during third downs; he didn't have a single catch last year at Boston College.

This is not your average fourth-round pick. Williams has a chance to play right away ahead of Rashad Jennings, Peyton Hillis, Da'Rel Scott and David Wilson, if he's healthy. Williams also isn't your average prospect. He's a poet that is working on a book called "A King, A Queen, and a Conscience."

"If it wasn't for football, I would probably invest in a couple cows and chickens, and go live in the bush and make my own cheese and live a simple life," Williams said to SI.com last year.

Another option: go live in the biggest city in the country.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" provides instant reaction to all the wild happenings in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.

Rotoworld:

Giants selected Boston College RB Andre Williams with the No. 113 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
Williams (5-foot-11 3/8, 230) was the 2013 Doak Walker Award winner as college football's top running back, setting school records in carries (355) and rushing yards (2,177). He averaged 5.31 YPC on 703 career attempts, scoring 28 touchdowns. Although Williams ran 4.56 with a beastly 10-foot-9 broad jump in Indy, he's more of a grinder on tape, almost like a bigger BenJarvus Green-Ellis. He is a decisive, downhill runner with zero shake and has hands of stone, managing 10 catches across 44 college games and relentlessly dropping passes in Combine drills. Some NFL scouts have compared him to Shonn Greene.

Good fit here. Ideally will be the thunder with Wilson getting the lighter COP load, with potentially to be a bell cow if Wilson can't be productive or on the field.

Reminds me of a little smaller, more agile version of Brandon Jacobs. Good speed for his size. He's not going to be making guys miss but if he gets going, good luck taking him head on if you're a defensive back.

Really like this pick by the Giants. He should get a fair shot at playing time as well since he's the only power back they have.

In a dynasty, you could do worse than find a way to get Jennings and A Williams on your team. If you can snag Wilson real cheap, all the better.

This could (read: SHOULD) be a potent offense. FA addressed the OL in general, the second rounder should start at G or C out of the gate, got a WR to open up both Cruz and the running game...

The gets at least half the carries and goaline back here could have nice value and if one of those back becomes the bellcow?

My guess is Jennings is the guy with the most reasonable upside this year. But Williams is a nice stash who could hit big fantasy wise. It's the right team IF he's good enough.

Is he? I think there's a decent chance. It's not like the giants are known for speedsters other than tiki to a degree. Hampton, OJ Anderson, Joe Morris even...

Perfect fit for him. It's funny, if you go back and watch him run his 40 at the combine, who do they cut to in the stands looking really interested?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000328425/Andre-Williams-in-40-yard-dash

Coughlin has connections to BC. In my latest pass at my rookie rankings I listed Brandon Jacobs and Andre Brown as the two main comparisons for Williams. He went in the same round to the same team. It just makes too much sense. If he can stay healthy, he can be effective as the "thunder" half of a committee.

Perfect fit for him. It's funny, if you go back and watch him run his 40 at the combine, who do they cut to in the stands looking really interested?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000328425/Andre-Williams-in-40-yard-dash

Coughlin has connections to BC. In my latest pass at my rookie rankings I listed Brandon Jacobs and Andre Brown as the two main comparisons for Williams. He went in the same round to the same team. It just makes too much sense. If he can stay healthy, he can be effective as the "thunder" half of a committee.
I had a more athletic Morris or a bigger B. Pierce. Brown has much better hands. Interesting clip

Doubling back on Andre Williams

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants are fairly forward-thinking as NFL franchises go, but there's an old-school vein that runs through their decision-making hierarchy. And the fact that the running back who led the NCAA in rushing yards in 2013 was still available for them Saturday in the fourth round of the draft was too much to pass up. They had a second-round grade on Boston College's Andre Williams and were happy to get him with the draft's 113th pick.

"We're still hoping that [2012 first-round pick] David Wilson comes back and is able to go, but we said out of the gate that we weren't going to count on that until the doctors say he can practice full-contact, and he hasn't been released to do that," Giants general manager Jerry Reese said. "We think he's going to be there, but we couldn't pass up the value of a running back of this caliber at this point in the draft."

Wilson is coming off neck surgery and by all accounts is doing well, but as Reese points out there remains a chance they don't have him at all. They signed Rashad Jennings and Peyton Hillis in free agency and still have 2013 seventh-rounder Michael Cox, but the Giants found out first-hand last year that there's no such thing as too much running back depth. And besides, Williams does things they're not likely to ask Wilson to do coming off of neck surgery.

"This is a big, powerful guy -- basically a first- and second-down runner, can run the zone scheme," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. "Boston College this year, they would come out sometimes with two or three tight ends, which would bring the entire defense down and have the offensive formation contained almost hash-mark to hash-mark. And yet this kid still rushed for 2,100-plus yards."

That's what the Giants see in Williams: a back who can gain yards even when everybody in the stadium knows they're going to run the ball and the defense is geared to stop it. The Giants believe in the value of a power run game as a means of setting up the pass and helping the effectiveness of Eli Manning's play-action. Williams showed in college that he could get the tough yards.

"He comes through the line of scrimmage and 22 eyes are looking at him and he still rushes for 2,000 yards," Reese said. "If you get up in a game and you're trying to run the clock out in that four-minute drill at the end, this is the kind of guy that you can give the ball to over and over and over and he'll get first downs for you."

It's important to remember what team officials are talking about when they discuss Day 3 draft picks. You hear Reese say this and you're thinking about this year. He's not, necessarily. Sure, it's possible that Williams could fill a role like that on this year's Giants team, but they do have Jennings and Hillis and maybe even Wilson ahead of him on the depth chart still. The Giants are thinking big-picture with Williams and won't force-feed him more in his rookie year than he can handle.

They don't know yet whether Williams will be an asset or a detriment in pass protection. They know he didn't catch the ball out of the backfield in college. As Coughlin said, he projects as a first-down and second-down back. But he'll still have to show at least some mastery of the protection schemes if he wants to see significant playing time. That could take a while, but unless the running back corps falls apart due to injury for a second year in a row, they'll have the time to get Williams up to speed.

He claims to be a fast learner, having changed roles several times amid coaching changes during his time at Boston College. For example, his 355 carries in 2013 seem like a ton, but he only had 349 total in the three years prior to that.

"I've been through about five different offensive coordinators, and in different offenses I was called upon to do different things," Williams said. "This year, I was just called upon to run the ball, and we had a lot of success with that. I think I'm solid in pass protection."

He plays running back, he has track record and his new team likes to give opportunities to those who work hard and earn it. So if Williams has the goods, he'll get a real chance to succeed in the NFL with the Giants.

Rotoworld:

Giants signed fourth-round RB Andre Williams to a four-year contract.
Williams (5-foot-11 3/8, 230) is a downhill runner with minimal lateral agility. He can be an early-down workhorse at the NFL level, but he doesn't catch passes. Williams drew some Shonn Greene comparisons. He's a worthwhile dynasty prospect as someone who could flirt with double-digit TDs if he tops the depth chart. Our own Patrick Daugherty took Williams at 2.05 in the Rotoworld Dynasty League rookie draft. It's a 14-team league.

Perfect fit, cant wait to watch this kid. Reminds me of Alf watching his clips. Not exactly elusive but hits the holes hard and has that 2nd burst. Clearly Jennings will be in on every 3rd down tho. So my guess ~ 150-200 carries with 6-8 td's. With lil to no receptions.

Williams ended up on my teams in every draft so far. He's usually there in the 3rd. I'd be ecstatic about that if all my leagues weren't ppr.

Williams ended up on my teams in every draft so far. He's usually there in the 3rd. I'd be ecstatic about that if all my leagues weren't ppr.
Usually there in the 3rd? I wouldnt touch him that high. Maybe the 5th/6th, and ill start thinking about him. At least in redrafts. Jennings is more then capable, in fact i'd be suprised if he didnt end the year with more production then A-Will.

Usually there in the 3rd? I wouldnt touch him that high. Maybe the 5th/6th, and ill start thinking about him. At least in redrafts. Jennings is more then capable, in fact i'd be suprised if he didnt end the year with more production then A-Will.
I'm pretty sure he was referring to rookie drafts (dynasty). You'd be nuts to touch him anywhere near there in redraft.

I'm assuming he's CLEARLY talking about dynasty. Like 110% talking about dynasty. And the more I watch Williams I'm wanting to take him in the 2nd cause I'm not sure he lasts till the third. Obviously, depends on how my rookie drafts go down the line. But honestly, I love everything about the kid except his ability to catch the ball.

Then again, he didn't have any catches... so who knows is he that bad or was he just not used that way? If he ended up starting at some point this season or next season McAdoo would require him to catch the ball I'm sure. I'd be willing to bet it's the main focus they'll have with him this off-season. I'd personally love to see this kid get a real shot, he seems like such a 'Coughlin' style of running back.

He does run a lot like a smaller, faster Jacobs. Brandon Jacobs BMI was 33.1, Williams is 32.1 on his BMI which is fairly close. He's a BIG boy. And he's actually rather agile for his size. 4.56 isn't that awful for a RB, sure it's not elite top end speed but it's fast enough. He likely won't be breaking many 80 yard runs but he'll bust some 40+ ones.

For his size, he's creepy agile. He placed 2nd at the RB position in the 20 yard shuttle at 4.06 tied with Dri Archer and just slightly below Sankey's 4.0. Placed 3rd in the 60 yard shuttle behind Tyler Gaffney and George Atkinson.

And he also finished 3rd in the broad jump with a pretty obnoxious 10' 9" behind only Lance Seastrunk and Jerick McKinnon.

Alf has proved you don't have to catch balls to be a dominant runner in this league. Does it help for PPR leagues? Sure, but he could still be a beastly RB2 with upside. He could easily turn into a 1000+ yard 10+ TD guy for the Giants.

Seems like a perfect fit and he could have a productive year if the NYG offense gets back on track. Jennings isnt going to command touches.

Users who are viewing this thread