What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kelvin Benjamin - WR - FSU [UPDATE PAGE 1, 7/3] (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
Well, its that time of year again and I have began to start looking at Wide Receivers and as of right now this guy is my #1 Ranked Wide Receiver. He's got the size (6 ft 5, 245 lbs) with athleticism to boot. Great hands.

With a great combine I don't see a way he falls out of the Top 15 this year. He's a freak talent that sits squarely on top of my WR Rankings.

1.) Kelvin Benjamin

2.) Sammy Watkins

3.) Jarvis Landry

4.) Mike Evans

5.) Marquise Lee

This guy is a monster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Bruce Feldman believes FSU's Kelvin Benjamin is more boom-or-bust than any other WR in the class.

"Benjamin will make personnel folks' chins hit the floor when they first see him," Feldman writes. "Thing is, he's even more raw than Evans and it took him a while to get a sense of FSU's routes/offense and he seems like more of a project." Feldman adds this would make him leery of Benjamin. The massive wideout will be 23 in February and slowly progressed before bursting out in his final season. He still has inconsistencies at the catch point and had a drop rate of over nine percent.

Jan 28 - 11:01 AM

Source: CBS Sports
Florida State redshirt sophomore WR Kelvin Benjamin will declare for the NFL draft, according to Tom D'Angelo.

Benjamin will turn 23 in February despite only seeing the field for two seasons. He is a massive target who has the frame and ability to dominate at the catch point, but he dropped catchable passes far too often. The wide receiver class is very deep at the top, but Benjamin has a chance to be a top-32 selection. The NFL Draft Advisory Board gave him a first-round projection.

Source: Tom D'Angelo on Twitter
Florida State redshirt sophomore WR Kelvin Benjamin is heavily leaning towards declaring for the NFL draft, according to Yahoo! Sports' Rand Getlin.

Benjamin turns 23 in February, which likely plays into this decision, but he has the talent to match it. The big wide receiver was silent for much of the National Championship game but made the game winning catch in the area he can dominate: contested situations. Bejamin does have a history of drops, however. A first-round pick is not out of the question.

Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter
Florida State redshirt sophomore WR Kelvin Benjamin had four receptions for 54 yards and a touchdown in Monday's 34-31 victory over Auburn in the BCS National Championship game.

Benjamin's two-yard touchdown catch with 13 seconds left in regulation won the game. He ends the year having caught a TD in six consecutive games and finished with 15 TD receptions total. The 6-foot-5, 234-pounder is a matchup nightmare and a nuclear weapon in the red zone. He's expected to declare for the NFL draft, and he'll likely be a first-round pick if he does. Benjamin will turn 23 in February. "Benjamin's size/speed combo is lethal, but he still has concentration lapses: He will catch a seemingly uncatchable ball, then drop one right in his hands with no one around," wrote NFL.com. "Despite that lack of consistency, his upside is enormous, and he might have the highest ceiling of anyone on the team not named Jameis Winston."

Source: NFL.com
Florida State redshirt sophomore WR Kelvin Benjamin said he has been compared to Calvin Johnson since high school.

"When I first came out of high school, they were like 'You could be a baby Megatron,'" Benjamin said. "I always looked up to him." The 6-foot-5, 234 pound Benjamin has huge hands, which helps him dominate at the catch point, and can get chunks of yards after the catch. Benjamin, who turns 23 in February, is expected to bolt for the NFL after the BCS Championship Game. Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks him as the No. 30 prospect in the class.

NFL.com's Charles Davis called Florida State redshirt sophomore WR Kelvin Benjamin a "matchup nightmare."

"Benjamin utilizes his strength and tremendous power to gain an advantage over defensive players. Duke coach David Cutcliffe might have said it best when he called him 'a monster,'" Davis wrote. Benjamin, who turns 23 in February, is expected to bolt for the NFL after the BCS Championship Game. Rotoworld's Josh Norris ranks Benjamin as the No. 30 overall prospect in the class.

Duke coach David Cutcliffe called Florida State redshirt sophomore WR Kelvin Benjamin "a monster."

"They're all good," Cutcliffe said of FSU's receivers. "They've got size and speed. They've got quickness. All of them catch the ball extremely well." Of all the matchup problems on the outside facing the Blue Devils against the Seminoles in Saturday's ACC championship, Cutcliffe is particularly concerned about Benjamin. "We don't have anybody that can line up and match up physically with Benjamin," he said. "He's just a monster, and with great skills." Benjamin has seven TD catches in his past four games. We expect him to declare for May's draft.

Source: Noles 247
Florida State redshirt sophomore WR Kelvin Benjamin was ranked by NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah as the player who improved his stock the most this past weekend.

Benjamin caught nine passes for 212 yards and three touchdowns in Saturday's 37-7 demolition of Florida. "His combination of size and athleticism is rare, but I was most impressed with his ball skills on Saturday," Jeremiah wrote. "He made several impressive adjustments to corral the deep ball." Although Benjamin is criminally under-discussed, we think there is a good chance he bolts for the draft after this season. Benjamin, who turns 23 in February, dominates at the catch point, a vital skill at the next level.

Mon, Dec 2, 2013 09:58:00 PM

NFL prospect focus: Saturday 3-pack

Excerpt:

Kelvin Benjamin – Wide Receiver – Florida State

Benjamin is a third-year junior with this season serving as his first as a starter. He redshirted in 2011 and played as a rotational player in 2012. That year, Benjamin caught 30 passes for 495 yards and four touchdowns. This year, he became a starter and his production soared to 54 catches for 1,011 yards and 15 scores.

Big receivers are in vogue right now and Benjamin is as big a receiver as you will find in this year’s draft class. He is listed as being 6050 – 234 with very long arms. He could easily be a 240-245 pound receiver once he fills out. For as big as he is, Benjamin is a very good athlete. He should run in the 4.50 range with the possibility of turning in a faster time. He has good body control and flexibility, but as a route runner, he’s still a bit raw. While Benjamin can break down and get in and out of cuts, he can be sloppy with his routes and does not consistently finish. He has good hands and tracks the ball well. I have seen him make some circus catches, but he is also good for at least one concentration drop per game. With his size, Benjamin can create a number of mismatch opportunities. While he is 6’5, he plays taller with his long arms. He has very good leaping ability and is extremely difficult to defend in the red zone. On the tape I’ve watched, the Florida State wideout is effective as both a short and deep receiver. He will compete for the ball in traffic and is very good at running after the catch. He has a quick burst, is very strong and difficult to bring down. In addition, Benjamin is both willing and effective as a blocker.

Overall, Benjamin is still raw, but has a high ceiling. He is only going to get better with experience. Because of his size, he can be used a number of different ways at the next level. While he has the talent to be drafted in the first round, because there are so many good receivers, I see him more as a second round pick at this time. Remember, South Carolina standout Alshon Jeffery went in the second round two years ago.

He has unbelievable athleticism for his size. If he were the polished receiver and hands catcher that Calvin or AJ Green were, he'd be a top 5 no-brainer pick. But his downside potential invokes Jonathan Baldwin and Stephen Hill. That's why he's being talked about as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick instead.

He has unbelievable athleticism for his size. If he were the polished receiver and hands catcher that Calvin or AJ Green were, he'd be a top 5 no-brainer pick. But his downside potential invokes Jonathan Baldwin and Stephen Hill. That's why he's being talked about as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick instead.
The downside......and the player I was trying to think of was Ernest Wilford.

Prepare for a VERY low wonderlic score. Kid was held back twice...in elementary school.

Love his physical ability, but I'd be worried about his ability to learn a system

Scouting report from CBS Sports and NFLDraftScout.com:

Kelvin Benjamin, WR

01/10/2014 - Benjamin adds 1st-round potential to deep WR class...Florida State redshirt sophomore wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin has decided to bypass his remaining eligibility and enter the 2014 NFL Draft. The 6-6, 220-pound target has the size/speed combination and overall catching radius that will have him high on most draft boards. Benjamin is currently rated as the No. 4 wide receiver and No. 24 prospect overall by NFLDraftScout.com for the 2014 class. He is the 19th wide receiver to declare early and the 82nd underclassmen prospect overall, extending this year's record class for non-seniors. Benjamin is the second redshirt sophomore wide receiver to leave school early, joining Texas A&M's Mike Evans, but the former Seminole is older for his class, turning 23 years old in February.

Few have Benjamin's blend of size and speed, a potential matchup nightmare for defensive backs at the next level. He has long arms and does a nice job full extending to create an enormous catching radius for cornerbacks to try and defend. Benjamin needs to show more development and focus at the catch point to complete catches and do a better job finishing with the ball. He is still raw in several areas, including his route running, but his long strides and natural tools makes him a very attractive prospect early in the draft. Benjamin caught the game-winning touchdown in the BCS Championship game and finished the 2013 season with several career-bests: 54 catches, 1,011 receiving yards, 15 touchdowns and 18.7 yards per catch average. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Overview

Benjamin arrived at Florida State following three seasons with national powerhouse Glades Central in Belle Glade, Fla.

He arrived in Tallahassee rated as a four-star recruit and redshirted in 2011. Benjamin ranked fourth on the team with 30 receptions for 495 yards the following season, finishing with four touchdowns.

After a modest sophomore season, Benjamin has had a breakout junior campaign, but the last two performances before the BCS title game stood out as he combined for 14 catches for 331 yards and five touchdowns.

In the ACC Championship Game vs. Duke, Benjamin recorded his third career 100-yard receiving game and led the Seminoles' offense with a pair of touchdowns.

Against Auburn in the BCS title game, Benjamin was held to just four catches for 54 yards, but his two-yard grab with only 13 seconds remaining propelled the Seminoles to the victory. Both games paled in comparison to a dominant effort against arch rival Florida in which Benjamin torched the Gators' talented secondary for nine catches for 212 yards and three scores.

With the NFL featuring a number of big, long athletes at receiver, Benjamin fits what pro teams are looking for in a physical mismatch on the perimeter.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Near-tight end size (6-5, 235) with a ridiculously large wingspan, giving him a catching radius that is probably on-par with anyone at the NFL level.

Shows the gliding speed and short-area quickness to create some separation and be a terror in jump-ball situations, especially in the red zone. Big hands, good hand-eye coordination and impressive body control to snatch passes outside of his frame. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder.

Experienced playing outside and in the slot and shows courage in crossing the middle. Tough to bring down in the open field, using his long arms to effectively stiff-arm defenders and showing suddenness to accelerate once the ball is in his hands. Attentive downfield blocker who works to seal off defenders as well as peel back to take out opponents in pursuit.

WEAKNESSES: Still developing as a route-runner, adding to questions about his ability to play a large role immediately in the NFL. While his size is problematic for defenders, Benjamin's length makes it difficult for him to sink his hips and explodes out of cuts, making him much better suited to verticals and crossing routes than double-moves, limiting his fit to certain schemes.

Drops too many passes. Allows the ball into his chest too often. Will take his eyes off the ball in an attempt to make the defender miss before actually securing the pass, leading to an occasional ugly drop. Seems to especially struggle with low passes, a problem for many taller receivers.

COMPARES TO: Plaxico Burress, Pittsburgh Steelers - Possessing impressive acceleration and a similar frame as the 6-5, 232-pound Burress, Benjamin is a big play waiting to happen. The junior remains rough around the edges, however, making him a bit of a boom-or-bust prospect.

--Rob Rang

As a Noles fan I often wondered why he would disappear for stretches or games at a time. He seems to have good talent and size obviously, but I don't see him being a true #1 without some serious work. The best thing that could happen for him would be to land in a spot where he can learn from a professional WR and organization.

petenice15 said:
As a Noles fan I often wondered why he would disappear for stretches or games at a time. He seems to have good talent and size obviously, but I don't see him being a true #1 without some serious work. The best thing that could happen for him would be to land in a spot where he can learn from a professional WR and organization.
"Great athleticism for his size", "concentration issues", "needs serious work"... sign me up for Matt Jones 2.0

JohnnyU said:
Steed said:
He doesn't have great hands. Concentration issues.
Who is that big WR drafted by the Bills a few years ago that they converted to a TE?
James hardy?Workjng against Benjamin is that he's older than his peer group, which isn't a great sign for him.
No, I was thinking of Ernest Wilford.
Wasn't Wilford a Jaguar when he was converted to TE?

Also, I see Benjamin as a Calvin like DHB. Seems like his hands are pretty awful.

JohnnyU said:
Steed said:
Who is that big WR drafted by the Bills a few years ago that they converted to a TE?
James hardy?Workjng against Benjamin is that he's older than his peer group, which isn't a great sign for him.
Wasn't Wilford a Jaguar when he was converted to TE?

Also, I see Benjamin as a Calvin like DHB. Seems like his hands are pretty awful.
yes, he was a jag, but that's probably irrelevant. Is there a correlation?

JohnnyU said:
Steed said:
James hardy?

Workjng against Benjamin is that he's older than his peer group, which isn't a great sign for him.
He was drafted by Jacksonville, I beleive.
Yeah, that's understood now, thanks.

Hi major FSU homer here. Seem every game he's played, many of them twice.

This year he became #1 on my all time frustrating FSU players list. He is a guy with poor fundamentals; doesn't run routes correctly and always tries to take off before he properly has the ball secured.

I have never seen a more jeckyl and Hyde performance from a player than what he displayed in the Florida game this year. I think he went over 200 yards but had 3 long catches he dropped simply because he tried to go before he had the ball secured. He could have had 350 yards in that game.

His sheer talent, the talent around him and Jameis eventually rose to the top, but he won't have those advantages in the nfl. There's a chance he improves (he was faaaaaaaar better in 2013 than 2012, so he can make strides) but I would not want my nfl team drafting him in round 1. I'm sure he can be a productive player, but I would be floored if he is ever a true #1 wideout.

He's more of a second to third round project to me. There I would be happy with him.

agree with Primier. While he has a lot of physical tools/gifts, seems there is a lot of work that needs to be done with his game to translate to a legitimate NFL #1 or #2 WR. I think right now, his ceiling is playing a Plaxico Burress type role where he gets a lot of red zone targets. Not someone I'd be targeting too early in PPR leagues though.

Scouting report from CBS Sports and NFLDraftScout.com:

Kelvin Benjamin, WR

01/10/2014 - Benjamin adds 1st-round potential to deep WR class...Florida State redshirt sophomore wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin has decided to bypass his remaining eligibility and enter the 2014 NFL Draft. The 6-6, 220-pound target has the size/speed combination and overall catching radius that will have him high on most draft boards. Benjamin is currently rated as the No. 4 wide receiver and No. 24 prospect overall by NFLDraftScout.com for the 2014 class. He is the 19th wide receiver to declare early and the 82nd underclassmen prospect overall, extending this year's record class for non-seniors. Benjamin is the second redshirt sophomore wide receiver to leave school early, joining Texas A&M's Mike Evans, but the former Seminole is older for his class, turning 23 years old in February.

Few have Benjamin's blend of size and speed, a potential matchup nightmare for defensive backs at the next level. He has long arms and does a nice job full extending to create an enormous catching radius for cornerbacks to try and defend. Benjamin needs to show more development and focus at the catch point to complete catches and do a better job finishing with the ball. He is still raw in several areas, including his route running, but his long strides and natural tools makes him a very attractive prospect early in the draft. Benjamin caught the game-winning touchdown in the BCS Championship game and finished the 2013 season with several career-bests: 54 catches, 1,011 receiving yards, 15 touchdowns and 18.7 yards per catch average. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Overview

Benjamin arrived at Florida State following three seasons with national powerhouse Glades Central in Belle Glade, Fla.

He arrived in Tallahassee rated as a four-star recruit and redshirted in 2011. Benjamin ranked fourth on the team with 30 receptions for 495 yards the following season, finishing with four touchdowns.

After a modest sophomore season, Benjamin has had a breakout junior campaign, but the last two performances before the BCS title game stood out as he combined for 14 catches for 331 yards and five touchdowns.

In the ACC Championship Game vs. Duke, Benjamin recorded his third career 100-yard receiving game and led the Seminoles' offense with a pair of touchdowns.

Against Auburn in the BCS title game, Benjamin was held to just four catches for 54 yards, but his two-yard grab with only 13 seconds remaining propelled the Seminoles to the victory. Both games paled in comparison to a dominant effort against arch rival Florida in which Benjamin torched the Gators' talented secondary for nine catches for 212 yards and three scores.

With the NFL featuring a number of big, long athletes at receiver, Benjamin fits what pro teams are looking for in a physical mismatch on the perimeter.

Analysis

STRENGTHS: Near-tight end size (6-5, 235) with a ridiculously large wingspan, giving him a catching radius that is probably on-par with anyone at the NFL level.

Shows the gliding speed and short-area quickness to create some separation and be a terror in jump-ball situations, especially in the red zone. Big hands, good hand-eye coordination and impressive body control to snatch passes outside of his frame. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder.

Experienced playing outside and in the slot and shows courage in crossing the middle. Tough to bring down in the open field, using his long arms to effectively stiff-arm defenders and showing suddenness to accelerate once the ball is in his hands. Attentive downfield blocker who works to seal off defenders as well as peel back to take out opponents in pursuit.

WEAKNESSES: Still developing as a route-runner, adding to questions about his ability to play a large role immediately in the NFL. While his size is problematic for defenders, Benjamin's length makes it difficult for him to sink his hips and explodes out of cuts, making him much better suited to verticals and crossing routes than double-moves, limiting his fit to certain schemes.

Drops too many passes. Allows the ball into his chest too often. Will take his eyes off the ball in an attempt to make the defender miss before actually securing the pass, leading to an occasional ugly drop. Seems to especially struggle with low passes, a problem for many taller receivers.

COMPARES TO: Plaxico Burress, Pittsburgh Steelers - Possessing impressive acceleration and a similar frame as the 6-5, 232-pound Burress, Benjamin is a big play waiting to happen. The junior remains rough around the edges, however, making him a bit of a boom-or-bust prospect.

--Rob Rang
I don't think Newton has throw a low pass in 3 years.

"Great athleticism for his size", "concentration issues", "needs serious work"... sign me up for Matt Jones 2.0
Benjamin have a coke and alcohol prolem too???

The good thing about freaks like Baldwin, Wilford, Jones, etc is that they get 2nd and 3rd chances due to their physical tools (for the life of me can not believe that Baldwin is so bad that he couldn't get on the field for SF this yr). That also means that these players get a little extra fantasy life in them too. Even though Baldwin didn't do much of anything in KC he still had value in the fantasy circles up until middle of last yr. This kid could a poor man's Calvin / Plax or he could be one of the aboved mentioned.

Now 1.01 I'm not sure I'll take that dice roll.

Can concentration ever be taught? Serious question.

Right, very inconsistent hands.
Can concentration ever be taught? Serious question.
Yes in a way. When you get very comfortable with your QB, and with your offense, you can become more confident and be able to use what concentration abilities you do have and only think about catching the ball. Easier to do when you know the offense like the back of your hand.

Also just maturing and gaining confidence in general.

I have seen so many WRs that make these great catches but then have drops that just make you wanna puke. These are the guys I am talking about. Guy that DO have good hands but for whatever reason make stupid drops.

I dunno, I'm leery of Benjamin's age. Plus he was a r.s. freshman, had a mediocre soph season and only "blew up" in his final season while being 2 years older than everyone else his grade (essentially).

So, if we're trying to compare apples, take the other big guy, Mike Evans. Also r.s. freshman but "dominated" in his 1st season of action with 1100+ yards. Then followed that up with his final season of 1300+ and 15 TDS. AND Evans is 2.5 years younger than Benjamin.

In a game of probability, Evans has the better odds of being the more dominant WR at the next level. However slight those odds may be, I don't see how you can calculate it any other way with what we know so far. The combine may change that. But as of now, Evans is more than a few rookie picks ahead of Benjamin if you ask me.

I dunno what you mean by being 2 years older than everyone his grade. He wasn't playing sophomores only out there or something.

I dunno what you mean by being 2 years older than everyone his grade. He wasn't playing sophomores only out there or something.
I guess Im trying to point out that he only had one good season and going by age, he was essentially a 5th year senior when he finally broke out. I will be avoiding him at his current market value.

I guess Im trying to point out that he only had one good season and going by age, he was essentially a 5th year senior when he finally broke out. I will be avoiding him at his current market value.
that definitely is a factor i take into account as well. Guys like Mike Evans/Sammy Watkins are still only 20 and has far better college production than Benjamin.

A lot of mocks have Benjamin going to KC, i just don't see it as they just got rid of a Benjaminesque Jon Baldwin

I dunno, I'm leery of Benjamin's age. Plus he was a r.s. freshman, had a mediocre soph season and only "blew up" in his final season while being 2 years older than everyone else his grade (essentially).

So, if we're trying to compare apples, take the other big guy, Mike Evans. Also r.s. freshman but "dominated" in his 1st season of action with 1100+ yards. Then followed that up with his final season of 1300+ and 15 TDS. AND Evans is 2.5 years younger than Benjamin.

In a game of probability, Evans has the better odds of being the more dominant WR at the next level. However slight those odds may be, I don't see how you can calculate it any other way with what we know so far. The combine may change that. But as of now, Evans is more than a few rookie picks ahead of Benjamin if you ask me.
Jamarcus Russel of the WRs?

KellysHeroes said:

Jamarcus Russel of the WRs?
nah, he has both T.O. Potential and Stephen Hill. I will be on board if he goes to a team with a track record of developing young players. If he doesn't I am running far away.

Mac_32,

Which teams do you think are good at developing young players? Which teams would cause you to run?

Packers in a good way and Jets in bad way, right? Those make sense.

As an aside, I think it is absolutely insane that people are comparing him to Calvin Johnson. Calvin is ridiculously fast. And tall, and has great hands. And is arguably one of the best WR ever. Is nfl.com taking crazy pills???

FWIW:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell prefers Florida State WR Kelvin Benjamin to Texas A&M's Mike Evans.

"I thought that he had a little more natural quickness and athleticism than Evans," Cosell said. "I thought that Benjamin brought a lot of the same attributes to the table as Evans, but I thought he was just a little more athletic." Cosell believes Benjamin runs faster than his 40 time. "You want to see a burst when the ball is in the air," Cosell said, mentioning Jerry Rice as one example of a WR who ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash in shorts but appeared far faster once donned in pads. Benjamin is massive, and his speed might sneak up on NFL DBs. Rotoworld's Josh Norris, for the record, likes Evans significantly more than Benjamin (No. 11 overall compared to No. 32).

Users who are viewing this thread