What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Boyce - anything to see (1 Viewer)

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
Gronk IR'd, Dobson hurt, Thompkins hurting and how long until DA gets hurt again. Time for Boyce to show us some stuff

I'm still pretty high on Boyce, but yeah, I'd love to see him "flash" before the end of the year. For me, he's a strong "hold" into the 2014 season.

Kenbrell Thompkins - WR - Patriots
Kenbrell Thompkins (hip) has been ruled out for Week 15.
Thompkins practiced on a limited basis throughout the week, but will miss his second straight game. The Patriots will be without both Thompkins and Aaron Dobson (foot) against the Dolphins. Josh Boyce should see an expanded role at X receiver, but remains off the fantasy radar.

Source: Mike Reiss on Twitter
Dec 14 - 8:03 PM
Aaron Dobson - WR - Patriots
Aaron Dobson (foot) has been ruled out for Week 15.
Dobson returned to practice Friday, but was never a realistic candidate to play this week. Kenbrell Thompkins (hip, questionable) has also been ruled out for Sunday's matchup with Miami. Dobson is likely targeting a Week 16 return.

No Gronk, Thompkins, Dobson... This makes me think Miami defense is a good start. Boyce prob gets a lot of PT, but I think he'll struggle just like Dobson and Thompkins did in their first few games.

I thought Boyce looked really good last week. He looked very quick and elusive with the ball in his hands. I can't speak for his route running or knowledge of the offense. Having said that, getting the ball in his hands will be the problem with Gronkowski out.

No Gronk, Thompkins, Dobson... This makes me think Miami defense is a good start. Boyce prob gets a lot of PT, but I think he'll struggle just like Dobson and Thompkins did in their first few games.
he played just about the whole game last week -- actually started ahead of amendola, I believe

targets might pimp up a little with gronk out, though

Could be his foot again. We'll see. Unfortunate, as he seemed to be doing okay these past couple weeks.

Lott said:
duaneok66 said:
The time is now for Boyce - when three key pass catchers are out, its now or never .. .
Or, you know, now or Next Year...
It seems more like or when he's a free agent in a few years or grab him and see if he's traded this offseason.

The Pats depth at WR has been fabulous for overcoming injuries. That said, he's clearly low man in the group.

Collie is gone and back again. I don't think they cut Boyce for him in the offseason, but you "have to" listen to offers on your last WR. Many people seemed to like him during the last draft and he's showing some ability now. His potential seems to be lost on opportunity and depth.

Meh. He will never dominate, especially in NE. Too many other mouths to feed.
If he was going to be a dominator, he'd have shown something. I can't think of many guys who show nothing in their first seasons that go on to "dominate."

Not sure what the injury was, but I think he's flashing. Played more and more the past couple weeks (granted Dobson and Thompkins hurt). You could argue the early season lack of playing time and production was hampered by the toe injury, which several articles recently have mentioned had Boyce behind early in the season.

On the scout team he's been running as the other team's #1 WR, and the coaches have been impressed. Then he got the KOR gig and performed well, then started stepping into the lineup and playing well. Here's his involvement yesterday:

1st Half

1st drive - 1 rec, 8 yards on 2 targets (both in the red zone)

3rd drive - 1 rec, 4 yards on 1 target (out of their own end zone)

2nd Half

1st Drive - 2 rec, 30 yards on 3 targets

2nd Drive - no receptions, 1 target

His last target came with about 7 minutes left in the third quarter, and he didn't play anymore the rest of the game, best I can tell.

This article from NEPatriotsDraft.com was rather informative discussing Boyce's impact against the Browns... and I think this is the type of player they believe he can become. Edelman is a FA after the season, for what that's worth, and Amendola seems to be falling down the pecking order for someone supposedly fully healthy. Boyce's return yardage only helps his cause in my league, but I think there's a bright future here for a team we know takes full advantage of mistmatches and maximizes their player's skills. It certainly doesn't hurt that Boyce has learned all the WR positions and can win both outside and inside.

I think he's a solid hold in dynasty, and I hope the foot injury doesn't keep him off the field. I think the guy is picking up steam as the season closes.

If he was going to be a dominator, he'd have shown something. I can't think of many guys who show nothing in their first seasons that go on to "dominate."
Vincent Jackson.
Boyce is quick speedy type not Jax or Green or Calvin type huge WR that dominate. It's quite different. He's got a better shot at being like Kendall Wright than Julius Jones.

Vincent Jackson.
Boyce is quick speedy type not Jax or Green or Calvin type huge WR that dominate. It's quite different. He's got a better shot at being like Kendall Wright than Julius Jones.
I hope so, as Boyce is a WR and Julius Jones was a RB.

Vincent Jackson.
I hope so, as Boyce is a WR and Julius Jones was a RB.
lol oops Julio

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what the injury was, but I think he's flashing. Played more and more the past couple weeks (granted Dobson and Thompkins hurt). You could argue the early season lack of playing time and production was hampered by the toe injury, which several articles recently have mentioned had Boyce behind early in the season.

On the scout team he's been running as the other team's #1 WR, and the coaches have been impressed. Then he got the KOR gig and performed well, then started stepping into the lineup and playing well. Here's his involvement yesterday:

1st Half

2nd Half

His last target came with about 7 minutes left in the third quarter, and he didn't play anymore the rest of the game, best I can tell.

This article from NEPatriotsDraft.com was rather informative discussing Boyce's impact against the Browns... and I think this is the type of player they believe he can become. Edelman is a FA after the season, for what that's worth, and Amendola seems to be falling down the pecking order for someone supposedly fully healthy. Boyce's return yardage only helps his cause in my league, but I think there's a bright future here for a team we know takes full advantage of mistmatches and maximizes their player's skills. It certainly doesn't hurt that Boyce has learned all the WR positions and can win both outside and inside.

I think he's a solid hold in dynasty, and I hope the foot injury doesn't keep him off the field. I think the guy is picking up steam as the season closes.
he's definitely a hold but any point about him "picking up steam" is specious. he's showing well right now because of the glut of injuries to the Pats air attack. he's like the last guy in depth chart basically and getting PT because no one else can. SOMEONE has to get the catches after all. offseason will be interesting.

1st Half

2nd Half

he's definitely a hold but any point about him "picking up steam" is specious. he's showing well right now because of the glut of injuries to the Pats air attack. he's like the last guy in depth chart basically and getting PT because no one else can. SOMEONE has to get the catches after all. offseason will be interesting.
Injuries have led to opportunity, but you could say that for a lot of guys at a lot of different positions. Doesn't mean it's a black mark on Boyce's talent or career that he fell behind the other guys when he was hurt in the offseason/preseason.

You're right in that the opportunity came about because of injury... but what about Amendola, to use an example from his own team? He was undrafted, cut by the Cowboys, and had to have injuries in front of him as well before he got an opportunity.

1st Half

2nd Half

Injuries have led to opportunity, but you could say that for a lot of guys at a lot of different positions. Doesn't mean it's a black mark on Boyce's talent or career that he fell behind the other guys when he was hurt in the offseason/preseason.

You're right in that the opportunity came about because of injury... but what about Amendola, to use an example from his own team? He was undrafted, cut by the Cowboys, and had to have injuries in front of him as well before he got an opportunity. extremely overpaid by a team to stupid to make their real WR weapon happy.

I picked him up on a whim, and I watched intently. He did okay, but it is bad sign when , in the 4th quarter, a street free agent is playing ahead of you.

This bothers me to some extent. I've never been a fan of owning Belichick's WR/RBs. I guess Boyce-Brady was too much for me to ignore, as was me being stubborn with Vereen over the years. I can't think of too many better WR stashes at receiver that may not be owned in your league. If he catches the game winning TD last week or one of his gl target he becomes a hot name. I think he will make a big play begore the season is done.

1st Half

2nd Half

You're right in that the opportunity came about because of injury... but what about Amendola, to use an example from his own team? He was undrafted, cut by the Cowboys, and had to have injuries in front of him as well before he got an opportunity.
he has yet to put a stat line that makes me sit up and take notice. dobson and thompkins did the same kind of production, except earlier in the year before they got hurt. i might be more interested if there was a little more to get excited about.

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe reports that "it looks like" Josh Boyce and Kenbrell Thompkins may be competing for the No. 5 receiver spot in 2014.
The Patriots appear set one through four with Julian Edelman, Aaron Dobson, Danny Amendola, and Brandon LaFell. Boyce and Thompkins combined to catch 41 passes for 587 yards and four touchdowns as rookies, with Thompkins doing the vast majority of that damage. New England also still has its eyes on veteran wideouts. After the passing game struggled for stretches in 2013, the Patriots are looking to stockpile at receiver and create competition.

Related: Kenbrell Thompkins

Source: Boston Globe

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe reports that "it looks like" Josh Boyce and Kenbrell Thompkins may be competing for the No. 5 receiver spot in 2014.
The Patriots appear set one through four with Julian Edelman, Aaron Dobson, Danny Amendola, and Brandon LaFell. Boyce and Thompkins combined to catch 41 passes for 587 yards and four touchdowns as rookies, with Thompkins doing the vast majority of that damage. New England also still has its eyes on veteran wideouts. After the passing game struggled for stretches in 2013, the Patriots are looking to stockpile at receiver and create competition.

Related: Kenbrell Thompkins

Source: Boston Globe
Still not a fan of Amendola on the roster anymore, trade?

They either keep all six or go through camp seeming as such.

It will be interesting to see what else the Pats do at WR...right now the only definites are Edelman and Amendola (at this point contractually it doesn't appear he's going anywhere else)...I would put Dobson in this category but his foot issue is lingering and that needs to be cleared...looking at LaFell's contract it would appear the Pats have hope for him but until you see him in the system he is a wildcard...both Boyce and Thompkins are probably fighting for a job and that could be the case if the Pats don't add another WR...if they add another one it becomes that much more dicey...I think both players have potential but will need to come out into camp in great shape and looking good...the x-factor in all of this is none of these guys outside of Edelman play special teams...with Slater entrenched there is no way more than five make the team...so right now the next step is to see who else they add and how Dobson's foot progresses...fantasy-wise I would not be in a rush to pick-up either Thompkins or Boyce...they will have their work cut-out for them to put up stats that could help a fantasy team...also, there is a pretty good chance the Pats add a TE that is a legit receiving option so that could be another mouth to feed...

It will be interesting to see what else the Pats do at WR...right now the only definites are Edelman and Amendola (at this point contractually it doesn't appear he's going anywhere else)...I would put Dobson in this category but his foot issue is lingering and that needs to be cleared...looking at LaFell's contract it would appear the Pats have hope for him but until you see him in the system he is a wildcard...both Boyce and Thompkins are probably fighting for a job and that could be the case if the Pats don't add another WR...if they add another one it becomes that much more dicey...I think both players have potential but will need to come out into camp in great shape and looking good...the x-factor in all of this is none of these guys outside of Edelman play special teams...with Slater entrenched there is no way more than five make the team...so right now the next step is to see who else they add and how Dobson's foot progresses...fantasy-wise I would not be in a rush to pick-up either Thompkins or Boyce...they will have their work cut-out for them to put up stats that could help a fantasy team...also, there is a pretty good chance the Pats add a TE that is a legit receiving option so that could be another mouth to feed...
Boyce returned kicks for the Pats last year (above it says he doesn't play special teams). So, with Blount gone he has added value for them there.

I heard that he had trouble with the offensive playbook, which is what prevented him from seeing more action last year.

I heard that he had trouble with the offensive playbook, which is what prevented him from seeing more action last year.
He graduated early and had the highest wonderlic score of all WRs in last years class. I doubt this was the case. He was buried on the depthchart, plain and simple. He wasn't as polished of a reciever as Thompkins was as a rookie. NE also had a lot of players with similar traits as Boyce. All you can hope for is that the Pats will prove to be wrong. It's not like anyone they put at WR was worth much besides Eldeman.

Papa John said:
Boyce returned kicks for the Pats last year (above it says he doesn't play special teams). So, with Blount gone he has added value for them there.
If he wins that job...than yes he does (and right now that is an area that appears up for grabs for the Pats so he does he have a chance to help him self there)...yet he only returned nine kicks so I don't think you can call him a core special-teamer right now...he's not like an Edelman or Slater who have established roles on that unit...

Sorry for hijack- Have the Pats stated they're bringing Quentin Sims back? I really liked him last summer, figured he'd be back, went to PS, then got cut.

I remember some hone his skills type comment and the guy seems to have played in the CFL and Arena league which makes me think he did what they asked and is deserving of another chance.

Saw this today:

From Mike Reiss

Boyce is a smart player but he said a couple of times last year that the mental aspect of football was a big jump from Texas Christian. He also came out after his junior season and that often requires an extra year of development at the position. I'd expect Boyce to compete for the kickoff return job while also vying for a role as a No. 3-5 option on the depth chart.

That's about right... good speed threat but good luck knowing when to plug him in. And Thompkins could beat him out for the roster spot.

Users who are viewing this thread