What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Raiders release Matt Flynn... (1 Viewer)

Might take some research, but has any NFL player made more money off of one meaningless game?

Heh, this is exactly how the Trade/Drop routine goes in most FF leagues.

Sunday afternoon: "Attention Buccaneers, the following trade has been offered to you by Raiders - Matt Flynn for Josh Freeman"

Sunday evening: "Attention Raiders, your trade has been rejected by Buccaneers"

Monday morning: "Raiders has dropped Matt Flynn to waivers"

Might take some research, but has any NFL player made more money off of one meaningless game?
Doubtful... closest might be Kevin Kolb? How much did Arizona pay him to make the move?
Good one.

Flynn got 3 years, $19.5 million ($10 million guaranteed) from Seattle in March 2012 after his 480 yard, 6 TD performance on New Year's Day 2012. Kolb got 1 year, $12 million in 2010 by the Eagles, but at least he showed a little more than one week 17 performance.

I don't know if Flynn will want to go back to GB but he leaves for about a year, makes $10M roughly, comes back to GB with a truck full of money to buy a home and be Aaron's' back up for the next 4-5 years, where is the shame in that? He'll still collect $1-$2M+ a year in GB from the Packers.

No crying for Flynn, he did well for himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunday afternoon: "Attention Buccaneers, the following trade has been offered to you by Raiders - Matt Flynn for Josh Freeman"

Fantasy baseball leagues as well.

At least he has all those records as a Packer, right?
Some day in the future, a Green Bay newspaper (if they exist still) will read :

"Packers all-time record holder dead at age XXX".

People will be like, "Poor Brett...wait...poor Aaron...wait...WHO???"

This is f'ing hilarious.

Lol oh god I do this all the time

Here's to hoping the following occurs:

- Matt Flynn signs a one year deal with the Packers to backup Aaron Rodgers

- Aaron Rodgers gets a one week injury in Week 17 and has to sit

- Matt Flynn puts up 500 yards and 5 TDs in the final game of the season

- 2014: Matt Flynn signs with the Jacksonville Jaguars on a 3 year 20 million dollar contract with 12 million guaranteed. Sits down for a 2nd round rookie draft pick.

I can see the movie title already - "The Million Dollar Bench"

At least he has all those records as a Packer, right?
Some day in the future, a Green Bay newspaper (if they exist still) will read :

"Packers all-time record holder dead at age XXX".

People will be like, "Poor Brett...wait...poor Aaron...wait...WHO???"
And then they will be like, "Why did he have to go so young? And what's with the Roman Numerals?"

A different era, but Larry Brown comes to mind for profiting off one game. Though the Super Bowl really doesn't fit the "meaningless" descriptor.

I think back to when the Raiders traded for Flynn. That was still in the first stages of free agency IIRC. What kind of edge rusher we could have gotten for $6.5 mill on a one year deal? Forget about the 5th round draft pick next year. Wish we could have that money back.

I would compare it to what happened with Rob Johnson about 15 years ago. He parlayed one great game into a 5 year 25 million dollar deal with the Bills who used a #9 overall pick to get him from the Jaguars. That #9 pick was noteworthy because the Jags used it to get Fred Taylor.

A different era, but Larry Brown comes to mind for profiting off one game. Though the Super Bowl really doesn't fit the "meaningless" descriptor.
Funny you say that. In my initial question, I had "Outside of maybe Larry Brown...", but then I also realized doing it on the biggest stage is a bit different than a week 17 snoozefest.

Interestingly, Neil O'Donnell who threw said interceptions to Brown in SB XXX got paid big by the Jets the following year, but as with Kolb, Schaub and others after him, at least showed more than one game's worth of material.

Scott Mitchell? Though he actually had to at least work for his money on the field. Take hits etc.
I think he at least had one or two decent seasons in DET. IIRC, he had one with over 4000 yds passing when 4000 yds was pretty rare. Too lazy to look up though.
Ah, memories. My first season of FF, Mitchell to Moore was awesome. THose were my 1 and 2 picks, and I thought it was cutting edge cool that working at a news station, I had access to "the internet" and got the AP game logs Sunday night instead of having to wait for the paper Monday morning to calculate my scores. Plus, this was pre-DTV ST (for me at least) and I got to watch all the NBC games going on (back when they had the regular game contract, can't remember if AFC or NFC) on the little 3" monitors in the satellite room.

Funny you say that. In my initial question, I had "Outside of maybe Larry Brown...", but then I also realized doing it on the biggest stage is a bit different than a week 17 snoozefest.

Interestingly, Neil O'Donnell who threw said interceptions to Brown in SB XXX got paid big by the Jets the following year, but as with Kolb, Schaub and others after him, at least showed more than one game's worth of material.
After cashing that huge check from Jerry Jones, O'Donnell never needed to work again.

Titans need a QB and an OC; both their QBs are rusty

Lol oh god I do this all the time
Ditto.

/hangs head in shame....

I love it when the player states publicly that he wants to be traded. Then the team is like "Shhhhh!!!! Will you stop!!! Wait...let's try this...."

"Ahem - would anyone like to trade for this fine, young, talented, happy player?"

*crickets*

"Oh hell, fine, you're free to go."

Users who are viewing this thread