What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eddie Royal - Fluke? (1 Viewer)

ldizzle

Footballguy
I think we all assumed that someone in SD was going to step up, but it wasnt known if that person was going to be a reliable wr week in and week out. The last 2 weeks the SD passing offense has been clicking and it isnt vincent brown leading the charge, its eddie freakin royal. is he worth a #1 waiver claim? In blind bid im guessing 15-25% based on his performance the past 2 weeks. what say you?

Not a fluke. Phillip Rivers is back, and all it took was the magic pixie dust of the expulsion of Norv. No reason to think he can't continue to be a strong fantasy play. Don't go expecting 2 or 3 TD's a week, but if you didn't get him by now, you probably can't get him now.

what's your definition of fluke? if you're looking for 2 TD's a game, it's not going to happen. but if you're thin at wr, and looking for a WR3 or a flex that will give a consistent 4-6 targets a game when he's healthy, then spend the money. rivers might just dink and dunk his way to a pretty solid year.

He has 5 TDs in two weeks. I'm going to go out on a small limb and say he won't maintain that pace.

Can he have WR2-WR3 value in ppr leagues? I don't see why not. They have nothing at WR, especially with Floyd dinged.

He has 5 TDs in two weeks. I'm going to go out on a small limb and say he won't maintain that pace.

Can he have WR2-WR3 value in ppr leagues? I don't see why not. They have nothing at WR, especially with Floyd dinged.
Plus, Vincent Brown is :shrug: :missing: .

He did Great w/ Shanny and Cutler; then Denver fell apart and had a horrible coach with a bunch of horrible QBs, I think Eddie also got nicked up as well for a couple of yrs. Now he seems to be on a team with a decent QB and coach again.

Having watched bits of both SD games, it seems that Rivers looks his way a fair amount. Many times he's the primary read. Obviously the TDs are unsustainable, but the number of looks seems like its here to stay..

He'll be a solid WR3 the rest of the season with WR2 upside. I'll gladly take that off the WW. My projections are 80 receptions, 1000 yards and 10 TD.

He has 5 tds and is still only the 4th best wr in my league. That pretty much screams fluke
Makes no sense.

Royal looks healthy and focused. I know he had family issues last year along with health.

I like his upside as much as any wr 2

I will be bidding on him with the hopes of landing him as my new WR3. (std scoring 12 team league)

Obviously those TD totals are an anomaly, but Vincent Brown (started him at WR3 this week) sure doesn't seem to be 'the guy who steps up' in SD.

The thing that gets me about Royal is his rookie season. After that season, I think everyone and their brother thought Eddie was going to be one of the top slot receivers in the league for ten years. He didn't look like a rookie. He looked like a mature NFL veteran WR.

Then he fell off the face of the earth to the point many of us didn't even have him on our radar whatsoever.

Then he comes out this year and looks like he's picked up in year 2 after his rookie season, and that the preceding 3 or 4 years didn't happen.

What happened to Eddie Royal? Why did he fall apart? Why is he back? I'd love some insight from people who have closely followed his career.

The thing that gets me about Royal is his rookie season. After that season, I think everyone and their brother thought Eddie was going to be one of the top slot receivers in the league for ten years. He didn't look like a rookie. He looked like a mature NFL veteran WR.

Then he fell off the face of the earth to the point many of us didn't even have him on our radar whatsoever.

Then he comes out this year and looks like he's picked up in year 2 after his rookie season, and that the preceding 3 or 4 years didn't happen.

What happened to Eddie Royal? Why did he fall apart? Why is he back? I'd love some insight from people who have closely followed his career.
McDaniels decided to move him outside and not use him as much. His 3rd and 4th years he had Orton and Tebow. Last year the Chargers were a mess.

After what Lloyd did for his career, I am much more hesitant to put someone out to pasture who has shown flashes in the past.

What matters is targets. I want to see where he ranks when the targets data is out this week. If he's getting enough looks he will produce. Not 2-3 scores a game, but enough.

He's worth a pickup of the WW. Will he keep up the pace with TD's? Definitely not. But will he keep up with the amount of targets he will receive every week? That's almost 100% positive. It appears that River's is back. Even if he's throwing the little dinker's, Royal is still going to see those targets. WR3 with definite WR2 upside.

as long as San Diego's D keeps them in shoot outs, he should be servicable. They ran several screen plays for him and others where he was the primary target. About the best you can ask for from the waiver wire at this point

How much are you guys bidding for him in FAAB leagues? I currently have around 35-40% for him, but not sure if that is too little or too much...Edelman went last week for 42% for reference.

Last edited by a moderator:
How much are you guys bidding for him in FAAB leagues? I currently have around 35-40% for him, but not sure if that is too little or too much...Edelman went last week for 42% for reference.
I just put in my bids on my teams that are devestated, 90+% on all of them.

I may have to go pretty big on Royal. 20-team league, not a whole lot left on the waiver wire. I'm not all that strong at WR to begin with.

Just trying to gauge where you guys think of him from here on out---Him or Marlon Brown in PPR for the remainder of the season?

I can get royal and its a return yards league. Just don't know if he's worth wasting the #1 ww spot for.

Just trying to gauge where you guys think of him from here on out---Him or Marlon Brown in PPR for the remainder of the season?
Well I'm guessing the WW darling of the year is still to be found.

But since Jacoby Jones may come back and Mike McCoy seems to be on to something I like Royal better in PPR especially.

Floyd was commanding a majority of the targets before he got knocked the F out... If Floyd only misses a week I don't see Royal's value lasting, maybe 50-60% of his current value with a healthy Floyd.

If ur a FBG subscriber the target data is given every week by Doug drinen in sortable lists for ytd or each individual wk

ETA: he is ranked 44 among wrs in targets among wrs

Last edited by a moderator:
Floyd was commanding a majority of the targets before he got knocked the F out... If Floyd only misses a week I don't see Royal's value lasting, maybe 50-60% of his current value with a healthy Floyd.
Not counting what Floyd missing a week should do for Vincent Brown. Brown should be ramped up in targets this week and if he hauls in a majority and becomes comfortable with Rivers, watch out.

When it comes to targets, what matters is where he ranks on the Chargers. If I am reading it correctly, he is tied for 1st with Gates among Chargers with 14 targets. And considering what a playmaker he has been thus far, I can't imagine his targets going down. No, I don't think he will keep scoring 2+ TDs a week, but I think solid production out of him on a weekly basis wouldn't be unheard of.

vincent brown cant get separation, he has no quicks or speed, hes a possesion guy with nice hands.

I wouldnt expect him to overtake royal or gates in targets or production

Users who are viewing this thread