What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lance Dunbar-A possible star in the making? (1 Viewer)

Ministry of Pain

Footballguy
Was looking great in the preseason, seems like he is over the injury so how long before we see him on the field. Murray had 25 touches last week, he's never gonna hold up like that. Not sure this guy can be a lead back but he's an exciting one and you put him on the field with Dez, Austin, Witten, would love to see what he does.

If for some reason this guy is floating around on your WW, I would pick him up unless you have short rosters like 12-15 man rosters, that might be tough. Not a lot of talent floating out there but Dunbar has flashed some skills.

Dunbar carved out a role for himself this offseason/preseason. Before the injury they were actively working him into the gameplan and excited about his development. It wasn't going to be a committee but he was going to get touches, maybe 6-8 a game. We're probably back to that point and will find out tomorrow.

Dunbar is on most waiver wires and he should probably stay there for now. Heck, we were grabbing Joique and Edelman this week. In very deep leagues, Murray owners would be smart to have him, and anyone could sit him for a few weeks to see how he goes.

Nice player. No reason they couldn't give him a heavy load if needed. A split with Tanner is far more likely though.

Pros - Great receiver out of the backfield, nice burst and agility. Makes people miss.

Cons - Didn't run inside the entire preseason and took everything outside. Looks like he might be too small to be an every down back.

Dunbar's now listed at 188, down from 205 at the combine. That is really small.

And before someone says, "but Darren Sproles..."

Sproles is two inches shorter and listed at three pounds heavier -- he's a fair bit thicker than Dunbar.

Love him as a 3rd down scatback, but do think his size probably limits him to a part-time role.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every year there was hype on Felix Jones. Every year he failed to impress.
One might infer that had something to do with Felix. I do think Dunbar's a promising backup, though, but as long as Murray plays well I don't think Dunbar sees more than 15-20 snaps.

I'm going the other way on Murray this year. I think he has a bounce back season. I didn't touch him in drafts but this just feels like one of those situations where group think goes with the obvious "he's always hurt" and the guy plays all 16 games with 1600 yards.

Just a hunch. Nothing to back it up with.

In PPR Dunbar is a must add. Murray won't be on as much as he was week one. JJ loves Dunbar and they think he's a Sproles type difference maker.

The way I see it. No matter what Dallas does they have can't run the ball. They resort to slinging it around. He will be on the field often and possibly if in catch up mode. I expect 10 touches easily. He is a Sproles type so he could pick up some chunks at times. RB is weak , pick him up. hell, if woodhead is owned, Dunbar has more upside.

I don't expect if DM goes down he'd be the primary but I expect him used often no matter what.

Fyi Dallas guy here. Watch every snap.

Ps

This Callahan O is a quick strike , west coast O so Dunbar should be in the plans.

I'm going the other way on Murray this year. I think he has a bounce back season. I didn't touch him in drafts but this just feels like one of those situations where group think goes with the obvious "he's always hurt" and the guy plays all 16 games with 1600 yards.

This.

Murray is a great talent. I'm not a Cowboys fan & haven't heard alot about Dunbar other than in PRESEASON he looked decent.

I think Murray is a lock for 20-25 touches a week & if he plays 14+ he'll be top 10.

Dunbar is tiny and fumbles a lot, and those 2 things are probably related. He certainly has more upside than Randle, if he can hold onto the ball.

I read one of the player updates in either my espn or yahoo league that stated Murray was being shopped around because Dallas is not convinced he will be their back of the future....

Took me by surprise. Murray is having an awesome year. He is fragile though. If you're Dallas why trade him though? Dunbar looks pretty good but Dallas is trying to make the playoffs. I don't think you get it done with Dunbar

However, I think it's relevant moving forward for people in dynasty leagues.

I read one of the player updates in either my espn or yahoo league that stated Murray was being shopped around because Dallas is not convinced he will be their back of the future....

Took me by surprise. Murray is having an awesome year. He is fragile though. If you're Dallas why trade him though? Dunbar looks pretty good but Dallas is trying to make the playoffs. I don't think you get it done with Dunbar

You answered your question in the sentence immediately prior.

You answered your question in the sentence immediately prior.
But I don't see why you trade him this season. Do they really have a better chance at making the playoffs with Dunbar and Randle? I say no, why not trade him in the offseason

So what is the value here? Great offense and his skill set can make him a productive PPR player. Should he be dropped for the likes of Khiry Robinson, or is he a dynasty buy/hold?

I think the whispers I've heard are that Dallas is questioning Murray as the long-term guy... wouldn't be shocked to see a draft pick or some FA dollars invested in the position. That being said, they're in utter cap hell, so the FA part of that equation isn't there.

Considering they played a rather ineffective Joseph Randle over a healthy Dunbar, I would think Lance is going to need quite a few breaks to get a shot again, though I do like the talent and thought he was the Murray handcuff.

I think the RB of the future for Dallas isn't on the roster yet.

Link/source for these whispers that Murray is on the hot seat?
I own Murray in a Yahoo league and have seen this mentioned here and there on his news items. It may just be reporter speculation, though. One of the news items stated Garrett came out and said that Murray is their guy.

Incidentally, the first time one of those aforementioned news items popped up, Murray went on to get over 200 total yards that weekend...

I am hanging on to Dunbar in a league that gives points for return yardage, where the Jacquizz role is good in a pinch and the Sproles role is king. I think he has the potential to produce but it would take a lot for the stars to align before he gets his shot. Not sure he'll keep his spot through my rookie draft.

Considering they played a rather ineffective Joseph Randle over a healthy Dunbar, I would think Lance is going to need quite a few breaks to get a shot again, though I do like the talent and thought he was the Murray handcuff.
When did they do this? Dunbar was dealing with a hamstring injury while Murray was out, if memory serves.

Dunbar's showing on Thanksgiving confirms the buzz on him. He looked lightning fast, showed good vision to navigate though and around defenders, and he showed surprising power for a back his size. He also reminded us about his propensity to get injured. The concern that Dunbar will not be able to hold up to a large number of carries still remains. After compiling 94 yards on only 13 touches, Dunbar exited the game with a hyper-extended left knee. He is scheduled for an MRI today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/29/cowboys-find-run-game-then-send-it-to-mri-tube/

Cowboys find run game, then send it to MRI tubePosted by Darin Gantt on November 29, 2013, 7:28 AM EST
bfefc4ced1abccfae8d6edb32ae824a9.jpeg
Getty ImagesThe Cowboys have been looking for years for a one-two punch in the running game.

It took them 12 games to find it this year, and now they have to wait to see the results of an MRI to see if they have it the rest of the season.

According to Rainer Sabin of the Dallas Morning News, Cowboys running back Lance Dunbar will have an MRI today after hyperextending his left knee late in the 31-24 win over the Raiders.

“It’s feeling better right now,” Dunbar said after the game. “We’ll see tomorrow, . . . They think I hyper-extended it but we’re going to look at it tomorrow and see.

“I’m pretty tough. I’ll fight through it.”

The noted orthopedic surgeon Jerry Jones said after the game that Dunbar might not miss much time.

“It could be a week or so on that,” the Cowboys owner said of Dunbar. “He’s in great spirits. Here’s Dr. Jones, but it’s probably just a little bone on bone bruise type thing.”

That would certainly help, as Dunbar’s 82 yards on 12 carries were the perfect compliment to the steady running of DeMarco Murray, who had 17 carries for 63 yards and three touchdowns.

always feel bad for kids like this that just begin to show what they can do only to be struck down by an injury like this. Happens all the time in this game but wish the kid a speedy recovery

Rotoworld:

Bryan Broaddus of the Cowboys' official website expects Lance Dunbar to have a bigger role on offense in 2014.

Broaddus cites new play-caller Scott Linehan's ability to get his running backs in space with the Lions, and anticipates Linehan doing the same with DeMarco Murray and Dunbar. Both Murray and Dunbar have above-average hands as pass catchers, and it's not out of the question that Dunbar could be sort of a poor man's Joique Bell. Dunbar has flashed explosive playmaking ability in limited opportunities the past two seasons. He's the favorite for No. 2 duties.

Source: dallascowboys.com

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Bryan Broaddus of the Cowboys' official website expects Lance Dunbar to have a bigger role on offense in 2014.

Broaddus cites new play-caller Scott Linehan's ability to get his running backs in space with the Lions, and anticipates Linehan doing the same with DeMarco Murray and Dunbar. Both Murray and Dunbar have above-average hands as pass catchers, and it's not out of the question that Dunbar could be sort of a poor man's Joique Bell. Dunbar has flashed explosive playmaking ability in limited opportunities the past two seasons. He's the favorite for No. 2 duties.

Lucy's actually going to let you kick the ball this time Charlie Brown!

Not sure what Broaddus is talking about. Or what Rotoworld is talking about. The Joique Bell comparison might have worked if he had ever played under Linehan. Otherwise, there's really nothing special about what RBs (e.g., M.Morris, J.Best, K.Smith) have ever done in the receiving game under Linehan.

14 games 1124 yds and 9 tds.

A little short but not really his fault if you watched Dallas games this year. I'd like to see his firt half vs second half splits. Barely ever used in the second half from the games I watched.

Ha found it.

1st half - 733 yds, 8 tds on 128 carries

2nd half - 391 yds, 1 td on 89 carries

Ridiculous.

14 games 1124 yds and 9 tds.A little short but not really his fault if you watched Dallas games this year. I'd like to see his firt half vs second half splits. Barely ever used in the second half from the games I watched.

Ha found it.

1st half - 733 yds, 8 tds on 128 carries

2nd half - 391 yds, 1 td on 89 carries

Ridiculous.
Yeah, I was hoping for a bigger change in the coaching staff. Still, I'm very pleased with how Murray did this year.

Rotoworld:

ESPNDallas' Todd Archer thinks RB Lance Dunbar is a good fit for new Cowboys playcaller Scott Linehan's offense.
Linehan loves to use his backs in the passing game, and Dunbar has the skill set to be a dynamic playmaker in the open field. He will carry upside as the clear-cut No. 2 back behind the injury-prone DeMarco Murray.

Source: ESPN Dallas

Rotoworld:

Has Rotoworld forgotten about Randle?

Rotoworld:

Has Rotoworld forgotten about Randle?
I don't think Randle looked good with his limited touches.

So for the Murray owners out there, what are you making of this situation? Ryan Williams, Lance Dunbar and Joseph Randle all sitting there with no clear pecking order. Dunbar looks the most intriguing, but he's so small I can't imagine him taking over if/when Murray goes down.

I really like Dunbar. He is electric with the ball in his hands. However, he lacks the build to be an every-down back, and last season's battle with injuries does nothing to convince me otherwise. I like Dunbar to spell Murray, and perhaps in a short-term role, if Murray is temporarily sidelined, I could even envision Dunbar getting a start or two, but I think his value is capped by his load limitations.

Like Dunbar, Randle fits well in Scott Linehan's offense, but he will have to improve his pass protection if he is to earn more playing time. Despite a rather uninspiring rookie campaign, Randle is likely the favorite to assume the bulk of Murray's duties in the event of a prolonged injury.

Ryan Williams is the dark horse, I suppose. It is easy to become enamored with his potential, but Williams has played in just 5 pro games in his fledgling career, has a career average of 2.8 ypc., and he was a " healthy" scratch for the entire 2013 season. While Williams has arguably the most complete set of skills to backup Murray, unless he can demonstrate the injuries are behind him and he can play less tentative, he could wind up being Dallas' Michigan J. Frog and nothing more than training camp fodder.

So for the Murray owners out there, what are you making of this situation? Ryan Williams, Lance Dunbar and Joseph Randle all sitting there with no clear pecking order. Dunbar looks the most intriguing, but he's so small I can't imagine him taking over if/when Murray goes down.
Not a Murray owner but in my opinion Randle sux and Dunbar is to small to be concerned about. Ryan Williams is the only concern and if he can stay healthy (doubtful) it will be a big concern for Murray owners. By the way, this is a pretty fragile group of running backs.

Not a Murray owner but in my opinion Randle sux and Dunbar is to small to be concerned about. Ryan Williams is the only concern and if he can stay healthy (doubtful) it will be a big concern for Murray owners. By the way, this is a pretty fragile group of running backs.
I'm a long time Williams owner (32 team IDP league with deep roster) so I've held for a long time hoping he can regain any sort of health and make an impact. That said, I see Williams as absolutely no threat to Murray at all. Murray is a great RB who gets no where near the respect he deserves. He's had injury problems as well however and that could be the window of opportunity here. I think it's pretty clear that we are looking a group of guys playing for scraps behind Murray unless something happens to Murray.

I was thinking more of the guy next in line. I don't think there's any concern of any of those guys taking away from Murray. I think Murray is one of the more talented backs in the league. The problem is exactly what you said, they are all fragile. Murray owners most likely invested a lot to get him, so trying to guess the most valuable handcuff is difficult. I agree that Ryan Williams seems like he's the most talented, but he's always injured and the fact that he was a healthy scratch last year is odd, for a healthy, talented back.

Dunbar is the one that I'd want. He's on the small side but not tiny - he actually weighed a pound more than Randle coming out of college, despite being 4 inches shorter. Everything that I've read has plugged him as the favorite for the #2 job (though that may just be Rotoworld's fancy). And he's the only one of the 3 contenders who has actually looked good on an NFL football field.

Dunbar is the one that I'd want. He's on the small side but not tiny - he actually weighed a pound more than Randle coming out of college, despite being 4 inches shorter. Everything that I've read has plugged him as the favorite for the #2 job (though that may just be Rotoworld's fancy). And he's the only one of the 3 contenders who has actually looked good on an NFL football field.
Felt the same way until I saw he was currently listed at 188. If right, that really limits his touches IMO.

Rotoworld:

The Cowboys are "creating stuff" for Lance Dunbar during OTAs.

Per Bryan Broaddus of the Cowboys' official site, the team has "big plans" for Dunbar. It's more buzz for an undersized yet shifty change-of-pace back that is the favorite for No. 2 RB duties. Given DeMarco Murray's injury history and Scott Linehan's history of using two backs, there's late-round flier appeal here.

Source: Bryan Broaddus on Twitter

Jun 11 - 9:29 AM

Rotoworld:

Cowboys RBs coach Gary Brown said Lance Dunbar can line up anywhere on the field, including "tailback, at wide receiver, in the slot."

"He's a guy that's going to be a complete weapon," Brown added. "We're looking forward to using him." Cowboys.com's Nick Eatman issued a fantasy alert on Dunbar after spring practices, saying Dunbar needs to be owned in every league. There's plenty of late-round flier appeal. New OC Scott Linehan got healthy RB2 production out of Joique Bell in Detroit last season behind Reggie Bush.

Source: FOX Sports Southwest

Jun 24 - 8:45 AM

Users who are viewing this thread