What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Devon Gardner, number 98 (1 Viewer)

I'm against him strictly for his number - Is he trying to look like a defensive lineman?
Devin Gardner to wear No. 98 in honor of Tom HarmonAnd that effort was even extended to the pregame festivities Saturday, in which quarterback Devin Gardner was awarded a No. 98 jersey in honor of Michigan legend Tom Harmon.

Gardner will wear the number 98 for the remainder of his career, starting with Saturday night's showdown with the Irish.

Harmon was Michigan's first Heisman Trophy winner, winning the award in 1940. His son Mark Harmon has enjoyed a highly successful Hollywood acting career and was on hand for the pregame ceremony honoring "Ole 98" Saturday.

I'm against him strictly for his number - Is he trying to look like a defensive lineman?
Devin Gardner to wear No. 98 in honor of Tom Harmon

And that effort was even extended to the pregame festivities Saturday, in which quarterback Devin Gardner was awarded a No. 98 jersey in honor of Michigan legend Tom Harmon.

Gardner will wear the number 98 for the remainder of his career, starting with Saturday night's showdown with the Irish.

Harmon was Michigan's first Heisman Trophy winner, winning the award in 1940. His son Mark Harmon has enjoyed a highly successful Hollywood acting career and was on hand for the pregame ceremony honoring "Ole 98" Saturday.
I see... IMO, he still looks ridiculous

And that effort was even extended to the pregame festivities Saturday, in which quarterback Devin Gardner was awarded a No. 98 jersey in honor of Michigan legend Tom Harmon.

Ridiculously awesome.

I thought he was just wearing 98 for one game to honor Harmon which was cool, but the whole season not so much.

You sound ridiculous.

Did this deserve a thread? Because a college player wore a number honoring someone. In fact, seeing a QB wearing 98 is awesome, so move along.

You must be an Irish fan. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's pretty great. Any jersey assignment that can educate people on the great past legends of the game, particularly a war hero who twice survived being shot down in enemy territory, is fine by me. It will be good for everyone to learn that Tom Harmon is not just Mark Harmon's dad or grandfather to the band Nelson.

Also, NCAA numbers are recommended not strictly enforced. That the number looks weird to you is a function of recent convention. When Harmon, Oosterbaan, Gerald Ford and Rob Kramer played no such conventions existed. If center (or anyone else) wants to wear Ford's number in his honor I am cool with that.

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN's Jeremy Fowler, Steelers WR Devin Gardner "doesn't look terrible" as a wideout, and is a "decent" route runner.

The undrafted Michigan product has yo-yoed between quarterback and receiver, but is apparently back at wideout for now. Gardner is not an NFL-level passer, so we'd expect him to stick at receiver through the end of camp. Yahoo's Charles Robinson believes he has a chance to "clip" Darrius Heyward-Bey's roster spot. (That just won't happen because of DHB's special teams value.)

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter
Aug 6 - 4:17 PM

Users who are viewing this thread