What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Markus Wheaton - Underrated? (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
sorry if this is redundant...

hard to believe he doesn't have his own thread, if not, he needs one...

it might be a year before he starts if sanders is allowed to move on (PIT MO with WRs)...

taken in 3rd round, i can see him being one of the top WRs in class of '13...

like marquis goodwin a track star (if not olympic caliber long jumper, about 10.5 100 m, beat oregon football/track star anthony dethomas), taken one pick before, but far more refined and polished route runner and complete WR (goodwin one dimensional deep threat at this point)...

wheaton had a nice 30-40 yd TD today...

he could have some value this year as WR3, wouldn't surprise me if he is as or more productive than sanders as rookie...

Wheaton is probably my favorite rookie WR. He should easily be #3 WR in PIT by midseason. If Sanders moves on after this season, look out.

Would like to see more. I've only seen his college highlights on youtube, which look nice but leave me clueless if his skills will lead to NFL success. His build and the movement on the field lead me to believe he could be a clone of the guy he essentially replaced, Mike Wallace.

If he gets in, he will have a chance to never leave the line up.

Carnell Lake (DB Coach) insists he is the toughest match up for the defenses coverage since he's been a coach (3 years).

And Lake particularly named Wallace and then just smiled and shrugged when reporters asked about Brown and Ward.

I was disappointed I was unable to get him in either dynasty. Not going to draft him in yearly leagues, but I am watching closely in september.

a paraphrase from a ryan clark interview last week: markus wheaton does everything better than mike wallace--running routes, better hands, better blocker, etc...--except for one thing : speed. clearly wheaton is not as fast as wallace but everone talks about how polished he is. personally i think he will be a better NFL player than a fantasy player, but as a WR#3 he could be serviceable this year and looks like he has some upside in the future.

Rookie Wheaton makes an early impression

By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- The injuries that have hampered running back Le'Veon Bell have also obscured the early returns on the Steelers' 2013 NFL draft haul are promising. It is way too early to evaluate the rookies as I am a firm believer that it takes at least three years to accurately gauge a draft class.

But first-round pick Jarvis Jones is pushing Jason Worilds at right outside linebacker after playing extensively with the first-team defense last Monday night at Washington. The former Georgia star looks like he will contribute this season even if he doesn't beat out Worilds.

Fourth-round pick Shamarko Thomas, meanwhile, should provide much-needed depth behind Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark at safety. He has impressed with his physical style of play, and Thomas had six tackles and a forced fumble in a 24-13 loss to Washington.

Then there is third-round pick Markus Wheaton.

The wide receiver has been a quick study after missing most of the Steelers' offseason practices because of a rule that doesn't allow draft picks to report to their new team until their school's spring quarter has ended.

"We're going to get some good work from [No.] 11," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said of Wheaton. "I believe that."

Roethlisberger and Wheaton didn't start working together until training camp but the latter has made quite an impression on the Steelers' franchise quarterback -- and the player whose locker is next to Wheaton's at the team's practice facility.

There is a lot to like about Wheaton. He was extremely productive in college -- his 227 career catches are the most in Oregon State history -- and he put his blazing speed to use as a wide receiver and return man as well as a sprinter for the Beavers' track team.

What has resonated with Roethlisberger is how much Wheaton carries himself like a professional.

"You don't see him make the same mistake twice," Roethlisberger said. "So when you tell him something he works on it and to me that's big when it's a young guy. If they make the same mistake over and over it means they're not focused, they're not working at it. He works hard and wants to be great, and that's what you want to see from a young guy."

It is way too early, and probably unfair, to tab Wheaton as a successor to the departed Mike Wallace, perhaps the top deep threat in the NFL. But there are similarities between the two.

Both have excellent speed and both were third-round picks by the Steelers. Like Wallace in 2009, Wheaton will have a chance to contribute right away.

The Steelers have nothing in the way of experience behind starters Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders and No. 3 receiver Jerricho Cotchery, and Wheaton is more than just a speed guy.

The 5-foot-11, 182-pounder has drawn good reviews from teammates for his polished route running, and he caught three passes for a game-high 52 yards last Monday night at Washington. That included a 45-yard catch after Wheaton blew by a Redskins cornerback on a go route.

Look for the Steelers to try and get Wheaton more involved Saturday when Kansas City visits Heinz Field for a 7:30 p.m. game. And look for Wheaton, who is also getting a look as a punt returner, to make the most of the opportunities he receives.

Rotoworld:

Steelers rookie WR Markus Wheaton caught three passes for 54 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's third preseason game against the Chiefs.
Wheaton didn't start, but got some run with Ben Roethlisberger before hooking up with backup QB Bruce Gradkowski for a 34-yard score. Although he has "just" 4.45 wheels, Wheaton has much quicker "game speed," and he used it as he slipped behind the entire Chiefs secondary on his score. He enters Thursday's preseason finale with seven catches for 114 yards and two scores. Uncommonly well rounded for a rookie, Wheaton should be a big part of the Steelers offense. He's only a WR5 for now, but could easily climb higher as the season progresses.

I don't think Wheaton is ever going to be some kind of dominant Pro Bowl WR. I think he would have to be a bit bigger or faster. I do think he can be a good #2 though and Pittsburgh was a great landing spot for him. They've gotten good production from similar players like Antonio Brown and Santonio Holmes. Wheaton is that kind of WR. Not a huge possession target or jump ball guy. More of a speedy deep threat who can get open deep for big plays. For FF purposes, his ceiling is probably capped as a WR2-WR3 type. I think he's pretty likely to be a decent pro though and I'm much higher on him than guys like Goodwin, Dobson, Bailey, and Williams who were drafted in the same general range.

I was disappointed I was unable to get him in either dynasty. Not going to draft him in yearly leagues, but I am watching closely in september.
, Definitely like better in dynasty, but it will be interesting to see if he is useful this season...

it is true, he may never be a classic WR1-type... but neither is Wallace... and he is an injury and some missed games away from three top 10 seasons...

while he may not be as fast as Wallace (sort of like the Chris Johnson of WRs), that pretty much describes almost every WR who has ever played except for bullet Bob Hayes... Wheaton was a track star... while he may have had more "ordinary" non sub-4.4, he may have borderline elite deep speed...

as others have observed, he may do almost everything else better than Wallace, Wheaton has very well rounded game (route running, hands, toughness, etc.), and that could be equalizer that could help him approach Wallace's numbers in future, and close the gap... It helps that the QB that enabled Wallace to flourish, is now Wheaton's QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
while he may not be as fast as Wallace (sort of like the Chris Johnson of WRs), that pretty much describes almost every WR who has ever played except for bullet Bob Hayes... Wheaton was a track star... while he may have had more "ordinary" non sub-4.4, he may have borderline elite deep speed...
Wheaton is fast, but he doesn't have the "wow" speed of Wallace. He's also an inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter.

For a guy with 10.5 speed in the 100m, Wheaton's 40 time was mildly disappointing. I think that's because he builds speed as opposed to being a guy who explodes out of the blocks. You can actually see that in his race with DeAnthony Thomas. He is trailing behind for about 60-70 meters before he snatches him.

In football, you're not going to run more than 30-40 meters very often. The speed over shorter distances is probably more important than the top speed. The top speed will only come into play on deep routes and big plays.

Having said that, Wheaton doesn't lack explosiveness or quickness. 37" vertical is good. 10' broad jump is okay for a 5'11" player. 6.80 three cone time is good. He's not just a straight line sprinter. He's got some initial burst and quickness. Enough that he won't be limited to a pure deep threat role. That will probably be where he offers the most value though. Wallace was a 4.28 guy with a 10'9" broad jump and significantly faster 10-20 yard splits. I don't like that comp for Wheaton because he's not really that kind of speed demon. From a speed standpoint I think he's closer to Holmes. Fast, but not jaw-dropping fast.

I like Wheaton. I'm not sure what his ceiling is but he was really good at almost everything at the combine. One of the top WRs in the bench, both shuttles, 40 yd, vert, etc. Not the top at anything, but near the top in all of them.

I picked him up 3 weeks ago and am going to see how he progresses this year. I wouldn't grab him (yet) in redraft but otherwise I think he's a smart stash.

*Edited* to add a link if anyone's interested: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/Markus-Wheaton?id=2539291

Rotoworld:

Ben Roethlisberger said third-round WR Markus Wheaton is "more than ready to get in and start doing some stuff for us."

Through two games, Wheaton has played 12 snaps and the Steelers are ranked 31st in total offense. They know it's time to get the intriguing playmaker on the field. "I think you'll start to see him getting in more this week," Roethlisberger said. A three-wide set of Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Wheaton with Heath Miller (knee) returning would do wonders for the passing game. Jerricho Cotchery is a liability. Wheaton is a Dynasty hold in all formats and a deep-league stash in re-draft.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Sep 19 - 10:43 AM

LOL at Rotoworld once again. Their write-ups are getting worse and worse. Not that Cotchery is anything special, but calling a WR on pace for 56-744 a liability is moronic.

LOL at Rotoworld once again. Their write-ups are getting worse and worse. Not that Cotchery is anything special, but calling a WR on pace for 56-744 a liability is moronic.
Cotchery has one of the worst pair of hands in the league. He's caught 44% of passes thrown to him, which ranks 101st among all WRs. The only WR in the league with more targets and fewer catches is Kenbrell Thompkins.

Rotoworld:

Steelers WR Markus Wheaton (broken finger) has a chance to return in Week 9.
Wheaton could resume practicing this week after missing the last three games. When healthy, he'll continue to push Jerricho Cotchery for playing time in three-wide sets. Wheaton played a season-high 36 snaps prior to going down in Week 4.

Source: Scott Brown on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Rookie WR Markus Wheaton (broken finger) returned to Steelers practice Thursday, getting in a limited session.
It's Wheaton's first practice of any kind since he went down in Week 4. The fact that he didn't give it a go on Wednesday suggests he won't be ready for Sunday's game against the Patriots, but he's now on track to return in Week 10. Whenever he returns, Wheaton will resume siphoning snaps from Jerricho Cotchery.

He's ACTIVE this week folks. Dont be surprised if he scores a bomb vs BUF weak pass d this week. Sneaky deep deep start

Cotchery is playing well enough right now - don't see Wheaton doing anything of substance until next year.

Rotoworld:

Markus Wheaton (finger) is active for Sunday's Week 10 game against the Bills.
Wheaton's snaps will likely be limited as he comes off a six-week layoff, making the talented rookie a mere deep-league stash. The Steelers inactives: QB Landry Jones, WR Derek Moye, CB Demarcus Van Dyke, TE Richard Gordon, ILB Kion Wilson, OLB Chris Carter and NT Hebron Fangupo.

Rotoworld:

Markus Wheaton broke another finger in Sunday's Week 16 win over the Packers.
The first part of Wheaton's disappointing rookie season was derailed by a broken pinkie. Now he's going to try to play with a splint on another finger in Week 17. Wheaton has just six catches for 64 yards on the season, never coming close to surpassing Jerricho Cotchery or Emmanuel Sanders on the depth chart.

Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld:

ESPN believes Markus Wheaton's snaps could triple in 2014 if free agent Emmanuel Sanders walks.

Both Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery are unrestricted free agents, leaving Wheaton penciled in as the No. 2 receiver across from Antonio Brown. It's hard to see the Steelers rolling with that into training camp. We liked Wheaton as a third-round steal out of Oregon State last year, but he played just 153 snaps during a disappointing rookie campaign. He's not going to be handed the starting job on a silver platter -- he'll have earn it.

Rotoworld:

Markus Wheaton - WR - Steelers

Steelers WRs Markus Wheaton, Justin Brown and Derek Moye traveled to Irvine, California last week to work out with and catch passes from Ben Roethlisberger.
Big Ben requested the three young receivers to travel to the West Coast so that he could get a better feel for them. "It was really about (Roethlisberger) getting a feel for some of us a little bit more," Moye said. "We ran some different routes that he wanted to work with us individually on." Wheaton could see his snaps increase dramatically if the Steelers fail to re-sign one or both of Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery, who are free agents.

Related: Justin Brown, Derek Moye

Source: Beaver County Times

I think everyone in PIT expects Sanders to go, Wheaton will be a direct beneficiary if he can stay healthy (a problem last season).

Steelers will be in the market for a WR come May during the draft time -- I hope they bring back Cotchery though on a team friendly deal.

I drafted him in one league and just acquired him in another with the hope that he'd be moving into the starting lineup. I'd disappointed if he can't at least match the season Sanders just had. Sanders disappointed some, showing up small in big moments. I think they let him walk. The opportunity should be there.

Rotoworld:

ESPN believes Markus Wheaton's snaps could triple in 2014 if free agent Emmanuel Sanders walks.

Both Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery are unrestricted free agents, leaving Wheaton penciled in as the No. 2 receiver across from Antonio Brown. It's hard to see the Steelers rolling with that into training camp. We liked Wheaton as a third-round steal out of Oregon State last year, but he played just 153 snaps during a disappointing rookie campaign. He's not going to be handed the starting job on a silver platter -- he'll have earn it.

It's very hard for me to downgrade Roethlisberger, because he's about the 20th qb I'd take, but with Wheaton playing more I'll try.

Any Wheaton fans that can give some insight as to why he is valued so high in fantasy? I was never overly impressed with anything I've seen from him. I feel like he is just an average WR who I would never be comfortable with in my starting lineup. I don't like the way he catches the ball against his body and he doesn't seem above average in any other measurable. Can anyone shed some light? Thanks

Rotoworld:

Steelers second-year WR Markus Wheaton underwent minor offseason finger surgery.
Wheaton broke two fingers as a rookie, which limited him to six catches for 64 yards across 12 games as the No. 4 receiver. With Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery out of the picture, Wheaton's snaps should increase dramatically in year two. He's a breakout candidate opposite Antonio Brown.

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter

Rotoworld:

ESPN Steelers reporter Scott Brown says Pittsburgh seems "committed" to Markus Wheaton.
The Steelers haven't made much of an effort to replace Emmanuel Sanders or Jerricho Cotchery. They've added Lance Moore, but he's a 31-year-old (in August) third receiver. Per Brown, the coaches are going to give Wheaton "every opportunity" to win a starting job. The speedy Oregon State product drew Mike Wallace comparisons coming out of college.

Steelers covet receiver in NFL draft; free-agent signings to help

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers are looking for a big leap from Markus Wheaton in 2014.

Excerpt:

The Steelers knew they would lose Emmanuel Sanders in free agency because they almost lost him last year when he signed an offer sheet with the New England Patriots.

But they didn't anticipate losing him and Jerricho Cotchery, who might have been the best valued receiver in the NFL in 2013.

Even with Pro Bowl receiver Antonio Brown, who is coming off a record-breaking season, that's a big chunk of their passing offense that will be missing in 2014.

Sanders and Cotchery combined for 113 catches, 1,342 yards and 16 touchdowns last season -- hefty numbers for a tandem that doesn't include Brown or tight end Heath Miller.

But the Steelers are hoping they can be more productive this year with the development of Markus Wheaton, the signing of free-agent Lance Moore from the New Orleans Saints and the very real possibility they will take a tall wide receiver in the first or second round of the draft.

They would like to draft Mike Evans of Texas A&M, a 6-foot-5, 231-pound receiver whose stock soared even more when he ran a sub-4.5 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. But Evans might not be available when the Steelers pick at No. 15 overall.

Still, the key for the Steelers will be how well, or even how fast, Wheaton can assimilate in the offense.

A third-round choice in 2013, Wheaton missed four games as a rookie because of a broken finger and struggled to get playing time. He appeared in 11 games, mostly on special teams, and caught six passes for 64 yards. After the season, he had more surgery on his fingers.

The Steelers have high hopes for Wheaton, who was so impressive at training camp that former safety Ryan Clark said he was already better and a more complete receiver than Mike Wallace.

"It's tough to play wide receiver with broken fingers," coach Mike Tomlin said last week at the NFL owners meetings in Orlando, Fla. "I look forward to him taking a significant step for us. I know that we need him to."

Markus Wheaton in line for bigger role with SteelersBy Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

The Pittsburgh Steelers have signed veterans Darrius Heyward-Bey and Lance Moore, but they are counting on last year's third-round draft pick Markus Wheaton to replace Emmanuel Sanders as the No. 2 receiver opposite Antonio Brown.

Coach Mike Tomlin has high hopes for Wheaton despite a disappointing rookie season hampered by a pair of broken fingers that ultimately required surgery.

"It's tough to play wide receiver with broken fingers," Tomlin said last week, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I look forward to him taking a significant step for us. I know that we need him to."

After an impressive showing in training camp last August, former Steelers safety Ryan Clark touted Wheaton as already a better and more complete receiver than Mike Wallace.

Even with a tall wide receiver high on Pittsburgh's 2014 NFL Draft wish list, Wheaton remains a breakout candidate in Todd Haley's offense.

In the latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast", the guys welcome Browns star Joe Haden to the studio and talk about the uncertain future of Chris Johnson.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Scott Brown expects second-year WR Markus Wheaton to emerge this season opposite Antonio Brown.
Wheaton was limited to 12 games (161 snaps) as a rookie due to injuries. Despite his lack of playing time, the Steelers are likely to use him in the Emmanuel Sanders role this season, starting Wheaton at Z-receiver and moving him to the slot in three-wide sets. Lance Moore and Darrius Heyward-Bey were signed this offseason to replace Jerricho Cotchery and will compete for the No. 3 receiver job. The Steelers could also upgrade at wideout in the draft, and have been linked to LSU's Odell Beckham Jr and Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin.

depends on what happens in the draft. Maybe they take one of the (seemingly) endless number of big wideouts available. Wheaton, Brown, and Moore are all under six feet.

I expect them to draft another developmental WR in this draft. He only has to beat out DHB(lol) and keep Moore in the slot, should be poised for a breakout year!

So what are the opinions on him now that they drafted Bryant? I don't think Bryant is a great talent, but he does have the size and it's a good fit for the team. Wheaton seems to be slipping in drafts even though he's penciled in as the starting X receiver.

So what are the opinions on him now that they drafted Bryant? I don't think Bryant is a great talent, but he does have the size and it's a good fit for the team. Wheaton seems to be slipping in drafts even though he's penciled in as the starting X receiver.
Super Mart is a great talent who has never played up to it. He'll be given every chance to win the X job.

Wheaton is a very good receiver but I think he ends up in the slot unless Super Mart is a bust.

Super Mart is a great talent who has never played up to it. He'll be given every chance to win the X job.

Wheaton is a very good receiver but I think he ends up in the slot unless Super Mart is a bust.
The question is what is the probability that M.Bryant starts to played up to his great talent? Just considering random NFL 2nd-4th round WRs (since some considered him a 2nd round possibility before the draft), that probability is already mediocre... factor in him already underachieving, and it seems like it would be lower still.

I own neither, but I would somewhat favor Wheaton's prospects over Bryant's. Bryant has the higher ceiling and lower floor, Wheaton is more likely to produce, though at a lower ceiling, IMO.

Bryant is the better talent - but rookie WRs need time to get up to speed.

Wheaton for 2014 - beyond that . . . who knows.

steveski said:
So what are the opinions on him now that they drafted Bryant?
Raw. Somewhat sloppy. Not ready. Something needs to change for him to have an impact besides his height.

Hopefully the coaches do their job and earn their pay when it comes to Martavius.

Rotoworld:

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette projects second-year WR Markus Wheaton as the Steelers' starting split end.
Antonio Brown is the Z, Lance Moore will replace Jerricho Cotchery in the slot, and Wheaton is projected to beat out rookie Martavis Bryant at X receiver. Wheaton flashed playmaking ability in his rookie-year preseason, but was often injured and never nailed down a role. If Wheaton does hold off Bryant to be an every-down player, he could flirt with WR3/4 value in standard leagues.

Source: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Markus Wheaton and Martavis Bryant will compete for the Steelers' starting "X" receiver job in training camp.

Antonio Brown is the Z, and Lance Moore will be Pittsburgh's primary slot receiver. Bryant is more of a prototypical "X" at 6-foot-4 and 211 pounds, but is a raw fourth-round pick. Wheaton (5'11/182) is a lid-lifting vertical stretcher. The winner of this job might flirt with WR3 value during the season.

May 18 - 6:26 PM

Rotoworld:

Markus Wheaton - WR - Steelers

As expected, second-year WR Markus Wheaton opened Steelers OTAs as the starting X receiver opposite Antonio Brown.

He's got the inside track on the job, ahead of fourth-round rookie Martavis Bryant. "There are a lot of us chasing that spot," a humble Wheaton conceded. "Its not mine. Theres a lot of good competition." We're not bullish on a breakout sophomore year from Wheaton, but he certainly has a chance to be a fantasy asset. The 5'11/189-pound speedster ran a 4.4-flat forty at the 2013 Combine.

May 28 - 9:59 PM

So what are the opinions on him now that they drafted Bryant?
Raw. Somewhat sloppy. Not ready. Something needs to change for him to have an impact besides his height.

Hopefully the coaches do their job and earn their pay when it comes to Martavius.
I actually think this falls more on the players than the coaches. If he can't become a professional with Antonio Brown and Lance Moore showing him the ropes not sure he'll ever get it.

I like him but I really like Bryant, too. My gut says Bryant outproduces him.
Well my brain says the Steelers rarely throw rookies to the wolves unless there is a big open hole in the roster. They didn't sign Moore and DHB to rely on a 4th round rookie who only has one year starting in college. I think a lot of people are mistaking Wheaton's lack of playing time last year as lack of potential. A lot of people were singing his praises last year have turned to the new shiny object. I've watched a lot of Steelers football and they may be thrusting Shazier and Tuitt into roles not normally seen taken by rookies but that is not how the Steelers like to do business.

Users who are viewing this thread