What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Greg Jennings to Vikings, now Dolphins (1 Viewer)

trader jake

Footballguy
ESPNs Adam Schefter reported Friday evening that the Vikings and Packers free agent wideout Greg Jennings have agreed to terms. According to Schefter, its a five-year contract.
Greg Jennings was a class act his whole career in Green Bay.He'll always be welcomed back, but once a year when he shows up in Lambeau wearing purple, we reserve the right to treat him like any other opponent. Good luck in Minnesota Greg.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the landing spot as far as him being undoubtedly the #1 receiving option, on a team with a great running game. Im just wondering if Ponder has the ability to get Jennings the targets/production of a WR1. I know he was able to with Harvin, but theyre totally different types of WRs and Minny will certainly use Jennings differently.

Better question might be if Jennings is similarly undervalued this year like Harvin was last year.

It will be interesting to see if Jennings is truly a good WR or simply the beneficiary of a great system. With Ponder's noodle arm, Jennings has his work cut out for him. Count me a skeptic.

It will be interesting to see if Jennings is truly a good WR or simply the beneficiary of a great system. With Ponder's noodle arm, Jennings has his work cut out for him. Count me a skeptic.
Jennings isn't really a deep runner. He's runs great routes and gets open. He will get a ton of targets, probably more than he's ever had.

Yeah I always hate it when one of my guys becomes a clear #1 featured receiver with almost no competition for targets.
Sincerely,Larry FitzgeraldSteve JohnsonDwayne Bowe... and any other "clear #1" who has a hideous QB.
Harvin did well, why wont Jennings?
I think raider is right. Harvin plays so many positions that he accumulates fantasy points. Jennings is much more traditional. He has to rely on good qb play. He has had a career playing with maybe the best qb in the league. I think the difference will be noticed.

Yeah I always hate it when one of my guys becomes a clear #1 featured receiver with almost no competition for targets.
Sincerely,Larry Fitzgerald

Steve Johnson

Dwayne Bowe

... and any other "clear #1" who has a hideous QB.
Seriously, if a moderately talented guy like Steve Johnson can put up top 20 numbers with Fitzgerald there shouldn't be any concern about Ponder to Jennings.

I think he is a very good WR who looked great in a great system.Noodle arm should not be the problem since at this point Jennings is not a deep threat.He is a short to mid ranged target who runs great routes to be open.

Sincerely,Larry FitzgeraldSteve JohnsonDwayne Bowe... and any other "clear #1" who has a hideous QB.
Harvin did well, why wont Jennings?
I think raider is right. Harvin plays so many positions that he accumulates fantasy points. Jennings is much more traditional. He has to rely on good qb play. He has had a career playing with maybe the best qb in the league. I think the difference will be noticed.
Yeah, Percy is going to get points running the ball (lined up as a RB or on a sweep), catching every type of screen pass ever invented, and even on the occasional kick return if your league awards points for the individual players. Jennings is a technician. He'll run precise routes and he'll be open. Now it's up to the QB to allow him to be successful. That's the worrisome part.

Here's Harvin's numbers with Ponder:

2011 (weeks 7-14) - the #5 WR with his rushing stats excluded.

2012 (weeks 1-8) - the #5 WR with his rushing stats excluded.

Here's Harvin's numbers with Ponder:2011 (weeks 7-14) - the #5 WR with his rushing stats excluded.2012 (weeks 1-8) - the #5 WR with his rushing stats excluded.
I'd be interested to see how far away from the LOS Harvin was for each of those receptions.

Here's Harvin's numbers with Ponder:2011 (weeks 7-14) - the #5 WR with his rushing stats excluded.2012 (weeks 1-8) - the #5 WR with his rushing stats excluded.
I'd be interested to see how far away from the LOS Harvin was for each of those receptions.
Really? This is what this comes to? I get a kick out of watching people try to devalue certain players any way they can.

Really? This is what this comes to? I get a kick out of watching people try to devalue certain players any way they can.
Yes, this is what it comes to. Glad you're amused as usual, Mr. Sunshine.

Jennings isn't Harvin; he will rely more on the QB. Harvin plays in the slot, has a 70% catch rate, and his production is less tied to TDs. Jennings' deep rate was greater than Harvin's, as was his YPR. They're very different players and Jennings' value did take a hit.

It's kind of funny that he's taking so much flack. I think it's pretty obvious that he's right. An elite slot guy is very hard to double cover. Jennings will see more double coverage in Minny than Harvin did.

it should be pretty obv why such distinction is a concern

It's kind of funny that he's taking so much flack. I think it's pretty obvious that he's right. An elite slot guy is very hard to double cover. Jennings will see more double coverage in Minny than Harvin did.
Jennings primarily played in the slot in the last couple years in GB. I don't know much Minnesota will move him around, though.

Jennings isn't Harvin; he will rely more on the QB. Harvin plays in the slot, has a 70% catch rate, and his production is less tied to TDs. Jennings' deep rate was greater than Harvin's, as was his YPR. They're very different players and Jennings' value did take a hit.
Do you realize Jennings plays in the slot a significant amount?

Jennings new deal with Vikings worth $47.5 millionPosted by Darin Gantt on March 15, 2013, 8:29 PM EDTAPGreg Jennings might officially be the last free agent to cash in this year, but he might not have done better than he was previously offered.According to ESPN’s Josina Anderson, the new contract Jennings agreed to with the Vikings tonight is a five-year deal worth $47.5 million, with $18 million guaranteed. That also includes a minimum value of $27 million over the first three years.That’s a great deal for a wideout who will turn 30 in September, except for one thing.The Packers offered him more.As we noted Wednesday (it only seemed like two weeks ago), the Packers offered a deal worth “roughly $10 million a year,” according to Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com.That offer was made “a while ago,” according to Wilde, or more accurately, at a time when Jennings thought he could do better.But with a generally soft market for all free agents (except the ones that sign with the Dolphins or Titans), that wasn’t coming.So Jennings comes in with an average per year (such that it matters) of $9.5 million, which he might have been able to top if he hadn’t insisted on seeing what the market would bear.
Sometimes the grass isn't always greener.Greg did what he felt he had to do, and Packers fans don't begrudge him for that. In a moment of honesty though, I'm guessing he'd go back and sign that extension offer from Ted Thompson.

I honestly like the landing spot for Jennings. I would argue his value is less affected than Welker's and Decker's value will be next season.

Conservatively I think we can say 70 catches/ 1000 yrds / 6 tds

Stardard PPR, 6 pts for TD catches, 1pt for every 10 yrds receiving, these stats would put Jennings at 206 Fantasy points. Comparing to last years stats, that would put him in the WR 22-27range.

I guess thats where I had Jennings going into Free Agency ( WR 20-25 )

As a number 1 in Minnesota, I honestly think he will score more than if he would have in GB in a 4 man WR rotation ( Jennings/Cobb/Jordy/Jones )

Here's Harvin's numbers with Ponder:

2011 (weeks 7-14) - the #5 WR with his rushing stats excluded.

2012 (weeks 1-8) - the #5 WR with his rushing stats excluded.
"The thing about Jennings, though, is he’s tremendous in the slot. In 2011, his last healthy season, Jennings ran 49.8 percent of his routes in the slot, and out of 45 receivers with 15 or more slot targets, he was one of just 11 receivers to have a catch rate over 70 percent. Despite the contrast in their physical makeup, that production is remarkably similar to Harvin’s in 2012."https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/15/fantasy-reaction-greg-jennings-signs-with-minnesota/

Gotta "love" the ####ing contest between people arguing over Jennings' fantasy value in MIN...before we even know what the WR corps will look like come Training Camp. People are missing the most important part of this news: THE VIKINGS HAVE A LEGIT WR1. And instead of having an unhappy WR who didn't really want to be here, didn't seem to like Ponder, would get into shouting matches with his head coach, the team has:

1. WR Greg Jennings, a consummate pro who doesn't really seem to have a history of making waves (his sister, on the other hand? LOL).

2. A second #1 pick in the draft (#25 OA).

3. An extra late-rounder in the draft to take a flyer on some depth.

4. An extra #3 pick in the 2014 draft.

And maybe I'll be proven wrong (or maybe I need to take off the :homer: glasses), but Jennings +1 +7 +2014 #3 > Harvin. IMHO.

"The thing about Jennings, though, is he’s tremendous in the slot. In 2011, his last healthy season, Jennings ran 49.8 percent of his routes in the slot, and out of 45 receivers with 15 or more slot targets, he was one of just 11 receivers to have a catch rate over 70 percent. "https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/15/fantasy-reaction-greg-jennings-signs-with-minnesota/
If you have something to add to the conversation, that'd be great. The inconsistancy you're searching for isn't there. I know that Jennings has played a good amount in the slot...like Calvin, Gronk, Graham, Austin, and plenty of others. What Harvin does in the slot is different than what Rob Gronkowski does in the slot.

It's also important to remember that the bust rate for free agent WRs is significant, especially the ones who went to a lesser team with a lesser QB. Now, Jennings is no Javon Walker/Andre Rison/Jerry Porter/Alvin Harper/David Boston... etc. He is too talented to be a complete washout, but anyone who isn't at least a little bit concerned about going from Aaron Rodgers to Christian Ponder isn't being realistic.

"The thing about Jennings, though, is he’s tremendous in the slot. In 2011, his last healthy season, Jennings ran 49.8 percent of his routes in the slot, and out of 45 receivers with 15 or more slot targets, he was one of just 11 receivers to have a catch rate over 70 percent. "https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/15/fantasy-reaction-greg-jennings-signs-with-minnesota/
If you have something to add to the conversation, that'd be great. The inconsistancy you're searching for isn't there. I know that Jennings has played a good amount in the slot...like Calvin, Gronk, Graham, Austin, and plenty of others. What Harvin does in the slot is different than what Rob Gronkowski does in the slot.
nice back pedal.

nice back pedal.
:confused: What exactly was he wrong about? Percy Harvin's don't grow on trees. No matter where he "lines up" his skill set is fairly unique.

nice back pedal.
:confused: What exactly was he wrong about? Percy Harvin's don't grow on trees. No matter where he "lines up" his skill set is fairly unique.
Gronkowski played in the slot more than Jennings did. I think he's a Harvin clone. Jared Cook too.

nice back pedal.
He pointed to Harvin as a slot WR, as if Jennings can't play that position. Points to a 70% catch rate for Harvin as if Jennings doesn't have that.

Gotta "love" the ####ing contest between people arguing over Jennings' fantasy value in MIN...before we even know what the WR corps will look like come Training Camp. People are missing the most important part of this news: THE VIKINGS HAVE A LEGIT WR1. And instead of having an unhappy WR who didn't really want to be here, didn't seem to like Ponder, would get into shouting matches with his head coach, the team has:

1. WR Greg Jennings, a consummate pro who doesn't really seem to have a history of making waves (his sister, on the other hand? LOL).

And maybe I'll be proven wrong (or maybe I need to take off the :homer: glasses), but Jennings +1 +7 +2014 #3 > Harvin. IMHO.
Jennings is not a legit #1 and those picks are only valuable if you know how to use them. There is a reason you are stuck with ponder at qb.....

Jennings is not a legit #1 and those picks are only valuable if you know how to use them. There is a reason you are stuck with ponder at qb.....
I'm personally very concerned about Ponder too. But the Vikings have drafted pretty well since Spielman was the GM. Could have been outstanding last year, if G. Childs would have stayed healthy. I think maybe you posted in a football thread by mistake...and meant to post in a Timberwolves chat (KAHN! lol).And if Harvin REALLY didn't want to be here, and would have held-out, created a mess in the locker room and/or media, etc., that might be a bit of "addition by subtraction" too. As much as I like Harvin as a talent and a player.

Better question might be if Jennings is similarly undervalued this year like Harvin was last year.
:no:Two entirely different players. They could get the ball to Harvin in many creative ways. Jennings' success is tied directly to Ponder.
Cutting out most of my post, only to say essentially the same thing, is a bit redundant, no? Or are you trying to make it seem like you were the first to make the point?
I like the landing spot as far as him being undoubtedly the #1 receiving option, on a team with a great running game. Im just wondering if Ponder has the ability to get Jennings the targets/production of a WR1. I know he was able to with Harvin, but theyre totally different types of WRs and Minny will certainly use Jennings differently. Better question might be if Jennings is similarly undervalued this year like Harvin was last year.

:no:Two entirely different players. They could get the ball to Harvin in many creative ways. Jennings' success is tied directly to Ponder.
Cutting out most of my post, only to say essentially the same thing, is a bit redundant, no? Or are you trying to make it seem like you were the first to make the point?
I like the landing spot as far as him being undoubtedly the #1 receiving option, on a team with a great running game. Im just wondering if Ponder has the ability to get Jennings the targets/production of a WR1. I know he was able to with Harvin, but theyre totally different types of WRs and Minny will certainly use Jennings differently. Better question might be if Jennings is similarly undervalued this year like Harvin was last year.
Sorry man, I think I only read the last sentence. It caught my eye.You can have all the credit for being the first one to make that point, and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

Sorry man, I think I only read the last sentence. It caught my eye.You can have all the credit for being the first one to make that point, and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.
Kenny loves E-cred .... I'm sure he will be happy about this.

Jennings new deal with Vikings worth $47.5 million

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 15, 2013, 8:29 PM EDT

AP

Greg Jennings might officially be the last free agent to cash in this year, but he might not have done better than he was previously offered.

According to ESPN’s Josina Anderson, the new contract Jennings agreed to with the Vikings tonight is a five-year deal worth $47.5 million, with $18 million guaranteed. That also includes a minimum value of $27 million over the first three years.

That’s a great deal for a wideout who will turn 30 in September, except for one thing.

The Packers offered him more.

As we noted Wednesday (it only seemed like two weeks ago), the Packers offered a deal worth “roughly $10 million a year,” according to Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com.

That offer was made “a while ago,” according to Wilde, or more accurately, at a time when Jennings thought he could do better.

But with a generally soft market for all free agents (except the ones that sign with the Dolphins or Titans), that wasn’t coming.

So Jennings comes in with an average per year (such that it matters) of $9.5 million, which he might have been able to top if he hadn’t insisted on seeing what the market would bear.
Sometimes the grass isn't always greener.Greg did what he felt he had to do, and Packers fans don't begrudge him for that. In a moment of honesty though, I'm guessing he'd go back and sign that extension offer from Ted Thompson.
Im guessing that roughly $10M per year wasnt quite that, and certainly not more. GB WR corps is good enough - thanks to Rodgers - where Id be surprised they offered Jennings that much in all honesty.I dont think MIN paid too much for him, especially if that $47.5 has a lot of incentives which 1 post made it sound like here, I also dont think he'll produce like 08-11 Jennings. Im guessing he wont be on many of my teams next year, but I'll be targetting him in 2014 a lot.

No problem, GB. Have a good St Pattys! :banned: Im in full agreement Jennings wont put up the same numbers in Minny as GB. Im guessing his name wont drop him enough for my liking in redraft this year, but thatll take a few months.

Users who are viewing this thread