What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you think Snyder should change the name of the Redskins? (1 Viewer)

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• No

Votes: 312 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 320 44.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 89 12.3%

• Total voters
FedEx pays about $7.6m a year for naming rights.  How hard would it be to find a new sponser if Danny says no?  

I didn’t think Danny would change it but if he will now would be the time.  I know he wants back at RFK.  Tbh i feel like he would make more in the rebranding.  

The initial poll for this tread was started in 2013, if a new poll was started, I’m pretty sure it would be way more in favor of the Redskins name being changed.

Something weird about the King of Child Sweatshops threatening someone over a team name
Kinda like Adam Silver all up on the jock of China........these guys go with the flow of public opinion so they can keep raking in money.....it's all about the perception that they give a ####

Good for FedEx. Time to get all the ugly team names and symbols out of sports. 

Eta: also if this pandemic has taught me one thing it's that FedEx is the worst delivery option of the bunch. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I spose after the Redskins it'll be the Atlanta Braves, FSU Seminoles, KC Chiefs.......might as well change the Patriots too........seeing as how our history is so ugly, and they represent that with that colonial dude.
Maybe. If people demand it, so be it. I'm a lifelong Redskins fan and the name has always been lame and unnecessary.

I spose after the Redskins it'll be the Atlanta Braves, FSU Seminoles, KC Chiefs.......might as well change the Patriots too........seeing as how our history is so ugly, and they represent that with that colonial dude.
Cowboys name needs to go

Raiders and Bucs need to go as well.  They represent raping, pillaging, and general badness throughout history.

I’ve seen Warriors mentioned as a nod to both Native Americans and military. And does not have the Globetrotters punching bag reputation that Generals would carry.
Not sure why we as a society continue to insist on glorifying violence.  Should be the Washington Peacemakers

Good for FedEx. Time to get all the ugly team names and symbols out of sports. 

Eta: also if this pandemic has taught me one thing it's that FedEx is the worst delivery option of the bunch. 
FedEx gets lost a lot in my rural area.  USPS continues to be the best.  Don't know why anyone would want to get rid of it.

Per Espn week 1 only. The song is "Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing." 

- This will go down in flames I'm sure but Roger Goodell disgusts me with the heat of a thousand suns before all this, for a myriad of football reasons, but he just continually antagonizes situations because he rules like an autocrat. He's taken a bad situation, Kaep's protest and turned it and twisted it and made it a huge fantastic mess. Just leave politics and race out of sports. Just get it the hell out. Let us all watch football, together. Damn what a mess. But as a season ticket holder (assuming there's even a game I can safely go to week 1, and I sorta doubt that) if I am at the game I will feel no obligation to sit, stand or whatever for this. It's a song. I usually get beers before the anthem, this will be no different. 

(sorry diatribe, I'll take the rips).

Do you understand why the Seminoles are OK but the others aren’t? 
Do you understand that's there's all sorts imagery, and "stuff" for people to get offended by, even with FSU?   Once the ball gets rollin, who knows where it stops......we are entering a brave, new PC, utopia.....didntcha know?

Do you understand that's there's all sorts imagery, and "stuff" for people to get offended by, even with FSU?   Once the ball gets rollin, who knows where it stops......we are entering a brave, new PC, utopia.....didntcha know?
I don’t find slippery slope arguments compelling. If you think that changing the name of the Redskins is a bad idea, then make your case regarding the Redskins. Warning about what might happen next isn’t going to persuade a lot of people IMO. 

Going to have to ask you to either remove that word or add an (*a) to ensure we're talking about the adjective form.  Thanks.

Redskins as a name is pretty overt and I'm OK with getting rid of it. On my personal scale, Redskins is way more offensive than Chiefs, Seminoles, etc. but those organizations really need to tone down the schtick that goes with their brand like the inane tomahawk chop. That thing has been cring-worthy for decades.

What's interesting is that other than the unfortunate name, the Redskins organization doesn't really pander to cultural stuff but instead has cool traditions like their band and the hogs.

The name is unfortunate and it should go. Hopefully that ends it. Sometimes it is important to know when to hit the brakes.

I don’t find slippery slope arguments compelling. If you think that changing the name of the Redskins is a bad idea, then make your case regarding the Redskins. Warning about what might happen next isn’t going to persuade a lot of people IMO. 
But they're already talking about blowing up Rushmore.....there's no slippery slope.  It's an agenda to destroy the foundation on which this country was built.

But they're already talking about blowing up Rushmore.....there's no slippery slope.  It's an agenda to destroy the foundation on which this country was built.
Honest question ... Whos' they? Have "they" published an agenda? I may have missed it. I like reason and reasonable change. 

So, Tomahawk chop gets renamed.  It will also no longer be done with an open palm.  I think more rounded fingers, making a "c" shape.  For "chop" of course.  Same arm action, maybe a little more in the wrist.  Should be a real pleaser.  

Were you this butthurt when Tampa changed their name from the Devil Rays?  How long did it take you to recover from the trauma you suffered? 
I don't think any teams should change their names to appease anyone.......I mean maybe the Redskins....I get that one.....but only if they change it the foreskins....that's a name I can get behind for ol Danny Snyder's debacle in DC.

In general, Im just not a fan of being PC.  I think the pendulum always swings too far the other direction.  That's what we are seeing.  

Users who are viewing this thread