What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Knile Davis RB - Arkansas (1 Viewer)

Definitely worth a day 3 flier. Present day Davis reminds me of Chris Polk or a rich man's Keiland Williams. Straight ahead runners that run too upright with well below average change of direction ability. Would not be surprised to see all 3 with futures at fullback.Injuries and the time off really hampered Davis in 2012. He looked bad when he did play.

He's a guy I'm waiting to see what he runs at the combine to see how healthy he is. Davis and Christine Michael were suppose to be the top 2 backs this year, but both were underutilized and have an injury history.

This guy has talent, had my eye on him since 2010He's way down in rankings on nfl draft scout. Listed as an ufa. I will be making room for him on all my teams, hopefully he stays cheap and under the radar

He injured his right ankle as a high school senior and college freshman. The injury to his left ankle prior to the 2011 season cost him the entire year, and he clearly was not anywhere near the same player in 2012. He also broke his collarbone twice in high school. He would have to go to a really good situation for me to gamble a roster spot on him at this point.

In 2010 I thought he was the second best back in the sec (behind trich). He finished second in the league in rushing (behind Cam). When healthy, he's very good, but health is the reason he will probably be a day 3 pick. He and Christine Michael are two I'm keeping my eye on. They both have abundant talent but injury history will hurt their draft stock.

4.3 40. Where was that athleticism this year?
He was hurt.I'm not sure any player improved their stock at the combine as much as he just did. Showing he was healthy was key, showing he was healthy while running a 4.3 forty and throwing down 31 reps in the bench is something entirely different. If his medicals check out he's not making it out the second round, he might even be the first RB taken. Again, assuming his medicals check out.

He was hurt.I'm not sure any player improved their stock at the combine as much as he just did. Showing he was healthy was key, showing he was healthy while running a 4.3 forty and throwing down 31 reps in the bench is something entirely different. If his medicals check out he's not making it out the second round, he might even be the first RB taken. Again, assuming his medicals check out.
:goodposting:He seemed to be forgotten after putting up 204/1322/13 as a sophomore in the SEC in 2010 before he got hurt (including a 152 yd game vs. LSU at the end of the season). My ONLY issue with him as a RB is that I wish he'd run a little less upright. That said, AP runs very similarly and, while obviously not as talented, is the closest resemblance I've seen to AP and his running style.

:goodposting:He seemed to be forgotten after putting up 204/1322/13 as a sophomore in the SEC in 2010 before he got hurt (including a 152 yd game vs. LSU at the end of the season). My ONLY issue with him as a RB is that I wish he'd run a little less upright. That said, AP runs very similarly and, while obviously not as talented, is the closest resemblance I've seen to AP and his running style.
AP?? laughable comparison.davis is fast but he just seems lackluster and soft on the field. AP's vision is second to none... davis needs glasses... TRIFOCALS. even that 1300 yard season wasn't all that impressive when seeing him actually play the games. i'd like to think that NFL teams will be looking at more than a fast 40 from this guy and see what he really is... unimpressive. speed and build is nice on an RB but without vision and decisiveness you're not going to do much in the NFL.

Still waiting for the official times to come in, but it looks like he will be under 4.4. I can't remember a 220+ pound RB ever running sub 4.4 at the combine. That is pretty sick stuff. You could say he's just a workout warrior, but he was pretty dominant in 2010. 6.5 YPC, 1300+ yards, and 13 TDs. This guy will be this year's must-have property for the height/weight/speed crowd. I always thought he was kind of an upright and linear back, but with these measurables it might not matter.

Curious to see how high an NFL team is willing to roll the dice on him. No football in 2011 and mediocre production in 2012 should keep him out of the first round. Anything beyond that seems like fair game. He's the big winner today by far. CFN had him rated as the #18 RB prospect going into the combine.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1267605.html

18. Knile Davis, Arkansas 6-0, 226 (Jr.) Proj. 5

Pre-Combine Analysis Positives: Great size and power when he gets a little room to rev up. Blasts his way through tacklers who don’t get a clean shot. … A decent receiver for his size. He could turn into a fullback of H-back role if needed. … Upside. If he can get back to the form of 2010, he could be a steal. There’s No. 1 back potential if everything is right.

Negatives: It’s a huge question mark whether or not he can stay healthy. He was never quite right after suffering an ankle injury. He might be damaged goods and might never get back to form. … There’s no speed. He’s never going to blow anyone away with his quickness – he’s all about getting straight up the field. … An okay blocker, but not special. He’s strong, but he has to be more consistent.

Really, What’s He Going To Do In The NFL? Name recognition will get him a long look in a camp, but he could be a quick cut if he doesn’t shine out of the box.
Seems like he's a lock to be one of the first 5 backs drafted. Maybe top 3. Bet he will be a very polarizing player in rookie drafts. Every league will have some owners who go bonkers for this guy.

Here's NFL.com's breakdown for good measure.They rank him as the 17th RB with a 65.4/100 rating, but then they go and compare him to Corey Dillon. :crazy:

OverviewInjuries have limited Davis since high school, but his talent when healthy is undeniable. He missed the 2011 season with a broken left ankle suffered in August after sitting out most of his junior and senior years in high school with collarbone and right ankle injuries. He then aggravated the ankle and broke hiscollarbone in the spring of 2010, but eventually recovered –- much to the chagrin of SEC defenses.He only received 33 carries his freshman year at Fayetteville (163 yards, four TD) and averaged just five totes per game the first month of the 2010 season. Then the floodgates opened due to injuries to others (running back Dennis Johnson, receiver Greg Childs); Davis wound up leading the SEC in rushing with 1,322 yards and 13 scores, including a strong 152-yard performance in the Razorbacks’ upset of LSU. Conference coaches named first-team All-SEC for his accomplishments.In his junior year, it was obvious that injuries had taken their toll on Knile’s game. He lacked the same speed and power that had had displayed in 2010. Davis spent much of the year overshadowed by his teammate, Dennis Johnson. Davis only registered 112 carries for 377 yards and 2 touchdowns, as Johnson saw the majority of the carries. Davis also did not suit up for two games this season.AnalysisStrengthsBig-bodied north-south runner. Has a thick lower-body build and runs with enough forward lean to run through arm tackles. Agile enough to spin off tackles inside and hurdle would-be tacklers in the open field. Can use the strength he builds in the weight room to be a physical pass protector, aware enough to hit multiple targets. Provides some receiving skills as a check-down option over the middle and handling good throws in the flat.WeaknessesHas a long injury history, missing time or playing hurt in every season of his college career, in addition to the final two years of his of his high school career. Runs a bit top-heavy, gets tripped up easily in space, especially before he gets his head of steam. Inconsistent taking on tacklers at the second level, will try to run around them instead of using his strength. Inconsistent protecting his quarterback, resorts to (and misses) cut blocks. Lack of hip flexibility hurts his ability to adjust to poor throws as a receiver. Was unable to display adequete foot quickness in his final season.NFL ComparisonCorey DillonBottom LineDavis is a bruising back who has struggled with injuries since high school, lost his entire 2011 season due to a broken ankle, and failed to look like the same player in 2012 as he was in 2010. In 2010, Davis sparked the Razorbacks with an impressive late-season surge when he led SEC with 1,322 rushing yards, 13 scores. His power and burst in the open field make him tough to stop when all his parts are in working order; but this has proved to be a struggle for Davis.

Still waiting for the official times to come in, but it looks like he will be under 4.4. I can't remember a 220+ pound RB ever running sub 4.4 at the combine. That is pretty sick stuff. You could say he's just a workout warrior, but he was pretty dominant in 2010. 6.5 YPC, 1300+ yards, and 13 TDs. This guy will be this year's must-have property for the height/weight/speed crowd. I always thought he was kind of an upright and linear back, but with these measurables it might not matter.

Curious to see how high an NFL team is willing to roll the dice on him. No football in 2011 and mediocre production in 2012 should keep him out of the first round. Anything beyond that seems like fair game. He's the big winner today by far. CFN had him rated as the #18 RB prospect going into the combine.

Pre-Combine Analysis Positives: Great size and power when he gets a little room to rev up. Blasts his way through tacklers who don’t get a clean shot. … A decent receiver for his size. He could turn into a fullback of H-back role if needed. … Upside. If he can get back to the form of 2010, he could be a steal. There’s No. 1 back potential if everything is right.

Negatives: It’s a huge question mark whether or not he can stay healthy. He was never quite right after suffering an ankle injury. He might be damaged goods and might never get back to form. … There’s no speed. He’s never going to blow anyone away with his quickness – he’s all about getting straight up the field. … An okay blocker, but not special. He’s strong, but he has to be more consistent.

Really, What’s He Going To Do In The NFL? Name recognition will get him a long look in a camp, but he could be a quick cut if he doesn’t shine out of the box.
Seems like he's a lock to be one of the first 5 backs drafted. Maybe top 3. Bet he will be a very polarizing player in rookie drafts. Every league will have some owners who go bonkers for this guy.
i think those negatives are pretty spot on... he does have speed but i agree he lacks quickness and agility. his 1300 season was full of straight line long runs. when he has to move sideways he looks meh. also, for his size he seems soft and his health is clearly going to be a concern.ETA: people keep pointing to his 1300 yard season... look at his 2012 tape, did he do anything to show he can be that 2010 player in the present day? i say absolutely not.

Last edited by a moderator:

i think those negatives are pretty spot on... he does have speed but i agree he lacks quickness and agility. his 1300 season was full of straight line long runs. when he has to move sideways he looks meh. also, for his size he seems soft and his health is clearly going to be a concern.
Back when he was healthy he reminded me of a thicker McFadden. Lots of straight line speed, but a linear player who didn't excel at making people miss. He's shorter and heavier than I expected. A lot of that is in the shoulders, which is probably why he looks and runs taller than he really is. He's probably not a guy that I'll get in any of my leagues, but the height/weight/speed combo is still pretty special.

i think those negatives are pretty spot on... he does have speed but i agree he lacks quickness and agility. his 1300 season was full of straight line long runs. when he has to move sideways he looks meh. also, for his size he seems soft and his health is clearly going to be a concern.ETA: people keep pointing to his 1300 yard season... look at his 2012 tape, did he do anything to show he can be that 2010 player in the present day? i say absolutely not.
Arkansas was a mess last year. Half that team gave up midway through the year.

As for Davis, not looking good, I question his health still last year and he gets a pass from me. Didnt think he was fully healthy.... And based upon his potential, I easily had no problem spending a fourth round pick on him....... Now, he is gonna shoot up boards. Fretting how early of a pick I will have to spend now...... Darn combine!!!

What was his best 40 time and/or what were scouts estimating his 40 time at prior to the combine?

He’s never going to blow anyone away with his quickness – he’s all about getting straight up the field.
If he gets into the second level with no one around he has the speed to take it to all the way. What I don't like is his lack of cut back ability - he doesn't cut as much as rounding his runs. I think that's what will hurt him in the NFL.

'EBF said:
Andre Brown, Ben Tate, and Mario Fannin.At other positions: TE Vernon Davis, WR Matt Jones, WR Calvin Johnson, FS Taylor Mays, SS Josh Barrett, WR Tyrone Calico, and WR Julio Jones.At 215+ pounds: Justin Fargas, Ryan Mathews, Edgerrin James, and Cedric Peerman.

My evaluation of Knile Davis 2010 (some of which I wrote up here in January) is that he had good size & speed and was a dangerous downhill runner as soon as he found a crease. He didn't have a ton of wiggle and was below-average at making guys miss, but he ran with power and picked up a lot of yards after contact. Statistically, he had a strong year both at breaking off long runs and at picking up the tough yards in short yardage situations, although he wasn't used much as a receiver.

Knile Davis 2012 was painful to watch. He danced around way too much, and even though he had a pretty good success rate at making the first guy miss he didn't go anywhere while he did it so the pursuit would get to him. He didn't show much speed, almost never broke off a long run, and fumbled way too much.

'EBF said:
Andre Brown, Ben Tate, and Mario Fannin.At other positions: TE Vernon Davis, WR Matt Jones, WR Calvin Johnson, FS Taylor Mays, SS Josh Barrett, WR Tyrone Calico, and WR Julio Jones.At 215+ pounds: Justin Fargas, Ryan Mathews, Edgerrin James, and Cedric Peerman.
Jamal Lewis didn't perform at the combine, but I believe he ran some crazy time during his Proday. 4.37-ish at 230+ lbs.

'EBF said:
Fannin is a very good comparison.

'EBF said:
Man, I forgot about Fannin.

'EBF said:
I must have missed fanin's 1300 yard season in the SEC

'EBF said:
No he's not. Just because two players have the same measurables doesn't mean they're the same player.

'EBF said:
I must have missed fanin's 1300 yard season in the SEC
The difference I see is that Davis was able to stay healthy one season and Fannin wasn't. Davis' teammate Dennis Johnson who wasn't invited to the combine averaged 5.9 YPC over his career compared to Davis' 5.3.

'EBF said:
No he's not. Just because two players have the same measurables doesn't mean they're the same player.
Is that why Davis isn't even projected to be drafted?

'EBF said:
Do you really think he won't be drafted?

If you're changing a player’s eval this much for the better based on the underwear olympics i recommend some tape study on him. Dude is fast, but no wiggle at all. Stiff running has led to health issues.

If you're changing a player’s eval this much for the better based on the underwear olympics i recommend some tape study on him. Dude is fast, but no wiggle at all. Stiff running has led to health issues.
(i completely agree.)but but but, he had a 1300 yard season 3 years ago!!! :rolleyes:

You've just described DeMarco Murray, which is who I've long compared Davis to.

'EBF said:
I don't care whether he gets drafted or not. Do you?

Don't know how I hadn't seen the comparison before, but... Yes. I wanted nothing to do with Murray for the same reasons.

Don't know how I hadn't seen the comparison before, but... Yes. I wanted nothing to do with Murray for the same reasons.
Murray was consistently productive and people just sort of ignored the when healthy always put up numbers aspect to his game. Obviously, Murray has lived down to the health concerns that people had for him (along with a horrible OL), but he is good to very good for the handful of games he is healthy in a given year.Davis's production was terrible in 2012. The numbers were not good for a physically limted back, much less for a guy for a guy with elite physical measurables. he also is a fumbler. if you draft for upside he has as much as any person at RB in this draft. Problem, his chance of making that upside is at best a "puncher's chance" and not much much more.

'EBF said:
Do you really think he won't be drafted?
I think there's a good chance he won't be but I also won't be surprised if he's drafted in the late rounds. I will be shocked if he's picked before the 5th though.

He didn't show much speed, almost never broke off a long run, and fumbled way too much.
that's right - yes Dennis Johnson quietly had better numbers on same teamwhat does that mean? either Davis wasn't fully recovered, or he threw the flag in on his team or something else ..... great combine numbers helps his draft stock though and thus, his Fantasy stock as well

I agree with those saying he's got great size/speed combo, but besides speed he doesnt have much to hang his hat on. I see average at best vision, he relies on his speed to turn corners instead of making cutbacks that could lead to bigger runs, and considering his size Im not even overly impressed with his power though thats still above average. Then there's the injury concerns. I think his risk/reward is worth it in the 4th-5th round but no way he should go higher. Id still take Lattimore over Davis easily and Id say Lattimore's injury risk is worse.

I agree with those saying he's got great size/speed combo, but besides speed he doesnt have much to hang his hat on. I see average at best vision, he relies on his speed to turn corners instead of making cutbacks that could lead to bigger runs, and considering his size Im not even overly impressed with his power though thats still above average. Then there's the injury concerns. I think his risk/reward is worth it in the 4th-5th round but no way he should go higher. Id still take Lattimore over Davis easily and Id say Lattimore's injury risk is worse.
That late, I'd take him just to see if he can be coached. You can't coach 4.37 speed at 227 pounds.Lattimore is a MUCH better back, but the problem with him is that it's been said there's very little chance he can play/contribute this year. So, if you take him, you're taking him to hopefully be your feature back in 2014 and beyond. Few teams have the patience to invest in a guy that isn't likely to play for an entire season. A team that doesn't need immediate help at RB would be a good spot for him.

This guy isn't another Chris Henry (RB from Arizona) is he? That guy was a workout warrior whose stock went thru the roof after the combine and got drafted in the 2nd Rd.

This guy isn't another Chris Henry (RB from Arizona) is he? That guy was a workout warrior whose stock went thru the roof after the combine and got drafted in the 2nd Rd.
Might be. Or he might be a feature back who had a rough go of it and is being undervalued. I wouldn't spend a premium pick to find out, but he might be worth a day 3 pick.

Might be. Or he might be a feature back who had a rough go of it and is being undervalued. I wouldn't spend a premium pick to find out, but he might be worth a day 3 pick.
Here's my write-up from another threadHe ran fast in the underwear olympics, but I had concerns about his game way back in 2010 and they continued over the years. 1) Injuries: Broke his left ankle his senior year of HS, reinjured it his freshman season(but rehabbed it enough to get some carries), Junior year broken left ankle. He's also broken two collarbones. 2) Production: Knile Davis had an excellent 2010, but the rest of his college career is underwhelming. He looked pretty bad in 2012 and got benched for Dennis Johnson(a non-invite to the combine). 3) Game: Davis is big and fast. His lateral agility is poor, he has to stop his feet to make people miss. When he does this, it takes too long to get going again and pursuit tackles him. He has a bad fumbling problem and I didn't see great vision.

Here's my write-up from another threadHe ran fast in the underwear olympics, but I had concerns about his game way back in 2010 and they continued over the years. 1) Injuries: Broke his left ankle his senior year of HS, reinjured it his freshman season(but rehabbed it enough to get some carries), Junior year broken left ankle. He's also broken two collarbones. 2) Production: Knile Davis had an excellent 2010, but the rest of his college career is underwhelming. He looked pretty bad in 2012 and got benched for Dennis Johnson(a non-invite to the combine). 3) Game: Davis is big and fast. His lateral agility is poor, he has to stop his feet to make people miss. When he does this, it takes too long to get going again and pursuit tackles him. He has a bad fumbling problem and I didn't see great vision.
I agree with much of what you're saying.I'm just saying that every year, there are guys like Alfred Morris and Bryce Brown who are overlooked until the late rounds (or not drafted at all) for similar concerns. Davis could be one of those guys.The lateral agility issue (and potential vision issue) is my primary concern. The injuries and the fumbling are worrisome too, but those are problems that could be "closer than they appear" based on a small sample size. That you cannot coach is 4.37 at 230 pounds. He could have a role in certain offenses. A team that can really run block could feature a N/S runner with breakaway speed effectively.

My hunch is that he lacks the instincts and elusiveness to be a long term star, but that he has a special combination of weight/speed and that he might show enough flashes in small spurts to spike his value and get people excited. Look at McFadden. He has been a pretty massive tease for his entire five year career, and yet still to this day I'm seeing people get good value for him in trades. If you ask me whether or not Davis will become a reliable yearly starter, my guess is no. If you ask me whether or not his value might rise at some point and create a good selling opportunity, I think there's a realistic chance. We sometimes forget about guys like Steve Slaton and Julius Jones who spike for a brief moment. If you get a guy like this for a 2nd round rookie pick and you're prepared to sell after he strings together a few good games, you could turn a nice profit. As a long term hold I would not be that optimistic.

Users who are viewing this thread