What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Todman- RB Jaguars (1 Viewer)

gradin123

Footballguy
It seems Rashad Jennings has reinherited the starting job in Jax by default. He was very unimpressive in his first stint with MJD out but he does have some value if he starts to see all the touches again.

I looked into the Jaguars other options and Montell Owens has been in the league 7 years and really is just a special team type player and really poses no threat to steal carries from Jennings. However, the Jags also signed Jordan Todman off the Vikings practice squad on Tuesday and appearently the kid has been told he will be active this week. He is a good receiver as evidenced by his preseason stats. He ran a 4.4 40 yard dash at the combine and had an impressive combine all around. He is a bit undersized, he was listed as 5 foot 9 coming out of college but is now listed at 5 foot 10 and 195 lbs. He was originally pegged as a 3rd round talent but slipped late in the draft probably because of his size.

I noticed he has had two decent preseasons(One with SD and one with Minnesota) and was one of the Vikings last cuts this year, he probably would have made the team but missed a lot of camp with a ankle injury, but in the last preseason game he had 10 carries for 114 yards including a 76 yard TD run. He had a pretty accomplished college career at Uconn and was the big east conference offensive player of the year in 2010 running for 1695 yards and 14 td's.

If the Jaguars were a team in contention there is no way a guy fresh from someone elses practice squad would get a look but the Jags might actually want to see this guy in action. Obviously, Jennings will get another crack at the starting job but this kid may be the next man up now and he seems to have some potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he is an interesting flier for teams with large rosters. Jennings disappointed enough that Parmalee got a chance so it seems opportunity is there.

Rashad Jennings - RB - Jaguars Coach Mike Mularkey said Rashad Jennings will start Sunday's game against the Bills, but he plans on using a rotation at running back.The Jags don't really want to hand the keys back to Jennings, who started five games earlier this year before losing his job to Jalen Parmele. The problem is that the only other healthy running backs on the roster are fullback-type Montell Owens and newly signed Jordan Todman. Mularkey has no choice but to start Jennings, who has somehow managed just 2.82 YPC on his 93 totes this season. He'll be on a short leash in Buffalo.

Between Todman & Owens, who is the better recieving/2Min-O/3rd-Dwn back?

Todman: 5'10 195

Owens: 5'10 225

Between Todman & Owens, who is the better recieving/2Min-O/3rd-Dwn back?Todman: 5'10 195 Owens: 5'10 225
I think Todman if he can be trusted with blocking. He put up good receiving numbers in his preseason action. There were some comparsions to him being a Jamaal Charles type back coming out of college. It looks like this is a guy who has just been waiting for a opportunity.

Saw something the other day on Todman from Tony Pauline's site, talking about how scouts expected Todman to have a better NFL career than Donald Brown, and be a more productive player.

He hasn't really had an opportunity yet, but this would obviously be extremely rare to go from another team's practice squad (his second team) to productive starter.

Could certainly do worse for a flyer though - down the stretch at least.

Rashad Jennings - RB - Jaguars Coach Mike Mularkey said Rashad Jennings will start Sunday's game against the Bills, but he plans on using a rotation at running back.The Jags don't really want to hand the keys back to Jennings, who started five games earlier this year before losing his job to Jalen Parmele. The problem is that the only other healthy running backs on the roster are fullback-type Montell Owens and newly signed Jordan Todman. Mularkey has no choice but to start Jennings, who has somehow managed just 2.82 YPC on his 93 totes this season. He'll be on a short leash in Buffalo.
It is very interesting Mularkey would say this given the lack of appearent alternatives with the Jags but then again it shouldn't be surprising. It seems the Jags have lost faith in Jennings as lead a RB which is evident by the fact they put Parmele back in the game last week even though he was hobbling around on one leg. Todman has blazing speed and the Jags obviously aren't afraid to play smaller running backs, I really think Todman will see significant action(5-10 touches) this week and if he does well and MJD isn't back Todman could be the starter in Week 14.

Saw something the other day on Todman from Tony Pauline's site, talking about how scouts expected Todman to have a better NFL career than Donald Brown, and be a more productive player.

He hasn't really had an opportunity yet, but this would obviously be extremely rare to go from another team's practice squad (his second team) to productive starter.

True, but it looks like Jax is getting down to the nitty-gritty. I remember Ryan Grant doing it (Giants practice squad to Packers starter).

True, but it looks like Jax is getting down to the nitty-gritty. I remember Ryan Grant doing it (Giants practice squad to Packers starter).
I believe Ward did the same from the Jets squad...rare, but in a day and age of RBBC and strict concussion issues, we beg for a guy who was an UDFA in Foster to be on our FF teams. When it comes to RBs, I am willing to look anywhere...I'll pass any day on practice squad QBs, WRs, and TEs, and maybe I will miss, but I am not sure I have lately...RBs, different animal.

Anything here with Todman in a deep dynasty? He looked electric Vs the Eagles
Was close to pulling the trigger for my last roster spot...but went with the Dallas backups instead under the assumption that Murray moves on.

I've liked Todman since San Diego preseason...but, barring injury, I doubt MJD gets cut next spring or loses too many carries before 2015.

Anything here with Todman in a deep dynasty? He looked electric Vs the Eagles
Was close to pulling the trigger for my last roster spot...but went with the Dallas backups instead under the assumption that Murray moves on.

I've liked Todman since San Diego preseason...but, barring injury, I doubt MJD gets cut next spring or loses too many carries before 2015.
MJD is in the last year of his contract. Health is going to be a concern for the rest of his career so I'm not sure the Jags re-sign him. Todman is worth taking a chance on even if the odds are low of him being the future starter.

I don't know Todman's contract situation. But if the Jaguars decide not to re-sign MJD and they don't think Todman is the RB of the future, I could see them drafting a RB towards the top of the 2nd or 3rd round in the 2014 draft.

As strange as it might sound it is not even 100% that the Jags keep Todman. I expect they will, but Gus Bradley believes in Forsett from his time in Seattle and they are very serious about Denard Robinson as a future RB. It is a tight roster situation at RB and there is at least a chance that Todman could be the odd man out. That said, if he is cut I would expect that it would increase his value fantasy wise since he could end up in a much better situation.

As strange as it might sound it is not even 100% that the Jags keep Todman. I expect they will, but Gus Bradley believes in Forsett from his time in Seattle and they are very serious about Denard Robinson as a future RB. It is a tight roster situation at RB and there is at least a chance that Todman could be the odd man out. That said, if he is cut I would expect that it would increase his value fantasy wise since he could end up in a much better situation.
"I think the Steelers are on the phone Mr. Kahn"

I don't know Todman's contract situation. But if the Jaguars decide not to re-sign MJD and they don't think Todman is the RB of the future, I could see them drafting a RB towards the top of the 2nd or 3rd round in the 2014 draft.
I don't know Todman's contract situation but he was signed off the MIN practice squad late last year. I'd be surprised if his contract lasted longer than 2014 (if that long).

"I think the Steelers are on the phone Mr. Kahn"
Giants, Browns, etc

Jacksonville will not let Todman go. His roster spot should be secure. I don't think Forsett is the long term answer, and Denard will be more of a gadget guy imo.

I liked Todman a lot predraft and am surprised he has bounced around as much as he has. It reminds me a bit of how I felt about Cedric Peerman and how his situation has panned out (although I liked Todman a bit more than Peerman).

Just grabbed him in dynasty but will have to cut someone like Gresham, Ryan Williams, or Jenkins. I hate the roster cuts before week 1. You look at your roster and could make an argument for every guy at the end your bench.

Just grabbed him in dynasty but will have to cut someone like Gresham, Ryan Williams, or Jenkins. I hate the roster cuts before week 1. You look at your roster and could make an argument for every guy at the end your bench.
I'm just drafted him in the 5th round of my rookie/FA draft, will probably have to cut Turbin to keep him.

Aside from the fact that he is unstartable this week BC they play Seattle (and jax is horrific)...anything to see here?

Aside from the fact that he is unstartable this week BC they play Seattle (and jax is horrific)...anything to see here?
He has looked like just a guy the first two games. But really, the middle of the line has gotten blown up with regularity that it's tough for any running game to function.

It seems Rashad Jennings has reinherited the starting job in Jax by default. He was very unimpressive in his first stint with MJD out but he does have some value if he starts to see all the touches again. I looked into the Jaguars other options and Montell Owens has been in the league 7 years and really is just a special team type player and really poses no threat to steal carries from Jennings. However, the Jags also signed Jordan Todman off the Vikings practice squad on Tuesday and appearently the kid has been told he will be active this week. He is a good receiver as evidenced by his preseason stats. He ran a 4.4 40 yard dash at the combine and had an impressive combine all around. He is a bit undersized, he was listed as 5 foot 9 coming out of college but is now listed at 5 foot 10 and 195 lbs. He was originally pegged as a 3rd round talent but slipped late in the draft probably because of his size. I noticed he has had two decent preseasons(One with SD and one with Minnesota) and was one of the Vikings last cuts this year, he probably would have made the team but missed a lot of camp with a ankle injury, but in the last preseason game he had 10 carries for 114 yards including a 76 yard TD run. He had a pretty accomplished college career at Uconn and was the big east conference offensive player of the year in 2010 running for 1695 yards and 14 td's. If the Jaguars were a team in contention there is no way a guy fresh from someone elses practice squad would get a look but the Jags might actually want to see this guy in action. Obviously, Jennings will get another crack at the starting job but this kid may be the next man up now and he seems to have some potential.
In all, Todman carried the ball 29 times for 223 yards and two touchdowns, with a per-carry average of 7.68 yards.
Jacksonville will not let Todman go. His roster spot should be secure. I don't think Forsett is the long term answer, and Denard will be more of a gadget guy imo.
I just thought I'd bump these.

I don't know that a lot of folks really have seen him at UConn or Jax.

7/14/0 rushing, 1/21/1 rec vs HOU. Any more info?

The reception against Houston was on a gadget play thrown by Ace Sanders... nothing to really say for that. Don't really know that I'd hold that rushing production against him either, however. Most of those carries came after MJD went down, and the Jags were doing everything they could to run out the clock. Everyone in the stadium knew he was getting the ball.

Same could be said for Denard on his carries as well, however. I'd be more concerned that they give Denard more work and he finally shows something if I was considering Todman this week. I would also be concerned the Jags will just turn to more of Ace Sanders out of the backfield in short passes and toss sweeps. Lots of question marks, though the matchup is obviously ripe.

For long range prospects, the obvious are the biggest concerns: 1) MJD resigns; 2) FA signed to 'compete' for the starting job; 3) RB drafted fairly high.

Lots not to like about Todman, but he's actually looked pretty good this year, so I've been quietly adding him to the end of some of my deeper dynasty rosters. Maybe it doesn't pan out, but I've gambled on worse players before.

For this week only, I don't know how MJD is doing, but I could see the Jags giving Todman a lot of carries.

That was a lousy performance by Buffalo vs TB and here they are heading back to Florida. The Jags defense has been better and the offense seems to be getting under control with Gabbert in the rear view mirror. They're closing strong.

I'd say have Todman on your bench just so some desperate opponent doesn't make use of him if they're in a pinch.

I'm sure some are considering Todman tomorrow. I'm considering him over fast Freddie. But he's still on the bench. Anyone want to talk fundamentals instead of just situation?

• 5-foot-9, 203-pounds - is the height concerning at all?
  • Big East Conference Offensive Player of the Year
  • strong NFL scouting combine, 40-yard dash in 4.40, 38-inch vertical leap, 10-06 broad jump, 4.18 20-yard shuttle, 7.24 three-cone drill - is this superior or average? starting quality? what?
  • rushed for 3,179 career yards, 31 touchdowns
  • gained 1,695 yards, 14 TD in his last season, including a career-high 222 rushing yards against Pitt
  • ranked third on the school's all-time yardage and touchdown list (we're talking UConn here, so who's 1 & 2, Don Brown annndd
  • Huskies' Most Valuable Player, becoming the first Connecticut running back to rush for 1,000 yards or more in two seasons
  • As a junior, he was a second-team All-Big East selection as he gained 1,188 yards
  • Every down back at UConn
  • "jack of all trades" type - drafted by Chargers for a Sproles role - but didn't really have a good ypr at UConn, apx 6.8, as low as 4.9
  • Smaller than Brown but considered better than Brown by some scouts, considered more instinctive, described as shifty
  • Drafted by SD at no. 183 (6th round) - made the team but was dropped in Oct. in favor of the vet Brinkley
  • From 8/12/11 RW:

Rookie RB Jordan Todman gained 30 yards on six carries and caught four passes for 21 yards in the Chargers' preseason opener Thursday night.

He was better than we expected. The recent failures of highly productive UConn backs made us wary of Todman even after watching him extensively in college, but he showed no fear running inside the tackles and has a knack for getting open on check-down routes. Todman was essentially the Chargers' featured player Thursday night, playing extensively after Mike Tolbert and Ryan Mathews exited. He's not quite Darren Sproles, but he's going to make the team.
  • He was "recruited" by the Pats at one point.
  • Picked up / signed by the Vikes
  • 8/30/12 MIN preseason finale vs HOU he had an awesome game - Had 114 yards on 10 carries, with a 76 yard TD run.
  • Released in MIN final cuts nonetheless, made the PS, picked up by Jax from the PS.
  • With Jax he went 29/223/2 in the preseason - 8/105/1 vs PHI with a 63 yard TD run, 9/60/1, 2/13/0 vs ATL with an 18 yard TD run
  • Hasn't done much with his regular season carries with Jax, but he has been described as showing "burst"
  • He has 3 TDs on 53 touches which is pretty good, including a TD vs SEA at SEA
One note: Pierre Thomas started over / with Rashard Mendenhall at Illinois. It's funny because Mendenhall got drafted in the 1st round, Pierre did not get drafted at all. Donald Brown ("5'10"") gets drafted in the 1st round out of UConn, this guy goes to the 6th round.

Well I think I am taking the chance this week with him. I'm desperate at RB and this is the type of guy who has one or two big games and wins people a championship never to be heard from again. I'm usually the one getting bit by these plays, maybe this year I bight back.

I'm sure some are considering Todman tomorrow. I'm considering him over fast Freddie. But he's still on the bench. Anyone want to talk fundamentals instead of just situation?

• 5-foot-9, 203-pounds - is the height concerning at all?
  • Big East Conference Offensive Player of the Year
  • strong NFL scouting combine, 40-yard dash in 4.40, 38-inch vertical leap, 10-06 broad jump, 4.18 20-yard shuttle, 7.24 three-cone drill - is this superior or average? starting quality? what?
  • rushed for 3,179 career yards, 31 touchdowns
  • gained 1,695 yards, 14 TD in his last season, including a career-high 222 rushing yards against Pitt
  • ranked third on the school's all-time yardage and touchdown list (we're talking UConn here, so who's 1 & 2, Don Brown annndd
  • Huskies' Most Valuable Player, becoming the first Connecticut running back to rush for 1,000 yards or more in two seasons
  • As a junior, he was a second-team All-Big East selection as he gained 1,188 yards
  • Every down back at UConn
  • "jack of all trades" type - drafted by Chargers for a Sproles role - but didn't really have a good ypr at UConn, apx 6.8, as low as 4.9
  • Smaller than Brown but considered better than Brown by some scouts, considered more instinctive, described as shifty
  • Drafted by SD at no. 183 (6th round) - made the team but was dropped in Oct. in favor of the vet Brinkley
  • From 8/12/11 RW:

Rookie RB Jordan Todman gained 30 yards on six carries and caught four passes for 21 yards in the Chargers' preseason opener Thursday night.

He was better than we expected. The recent failures of highly productive UConn backs made us wary of Todman even after watching him extensively in college, but he showed no fear running inside the tackles and has a knack for getting open on check-down routes. Todman was essentially the Chargers' featured player Thursday night, playing extensively after Mike Tolbert and Ryan Mathews exited. He's not quite Darren Sproles, but he's going to make the team.
  • He was "recruited" by the Pats at one point.
  • Picked up / signed by the Vikes
  • 8/30/12 MIN preseason finale vs HOU he had an awesome game - Had 114 yards on 10 carries, with a 76 yard TD run.
  • Released in MIN final cuts nonetheless, made the PS, picked up by Jax from the PS.
  • With Jax he went 29/223/2 in the preseason - 8/105/1 vs PHI with a 63 yard TD run, 9/60/1, 2/13/0 vs ATL with an 18 yard TD run
  • Hasn't done much with his regular season carries with Jax, but he has been described as showing "burst"
  • He has 3 TDs on 53 touches which is pretty good, including a TD vs SEA at SEA
One note: Pierre Thomas started over / with Rashard Mendenhall at Illinois. It's funny because Mendenhall got drafted in the 1st round, Pierre did not get drafted at all. Donald Brown ("5'10"") gets drafted in the 1st round out of UConn, this guy goes to the 6th round.
Lots of good short RBs. As long as they are stocky enough to take a beating.

I guess I've never understood why Todman didn't get his chance this year. He had performed well last year and in preseasons, but the Jags felt compelled to go get Gerhart and Storm. Yes Denard was great but maybe the strain of being a starting back was too much for him. Todman plus Robinson might have made a good combo this year. And it's an awful D he was playing last night but he got his chance (maybe just because Toby was dinged) and boom, big TD.

Would seem only fitting in the wasteland of Rbs this year that some leagues are won this year with the vaunted DMAC/Jordan Toddman 1-2 punch.

Users who are viewing this thread