What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brian Hartline....It has been discussed but.... (1 Viewer)

Carter_Can_Fly

Footballguy
I want this thread dedicated to my most recent acquistion in my dynasty draft... Brian Hartline.

I did a search and there were some discussions around him but nothing overly relevant therefore I felt I should start this thread to generate some better discussion.

What we know?

Head coach Joe Philbin has done a marvellous job with this offense so far this year and really with the whole team in general. We should remember that Philibin had a very successful run as the Packers offensive Coordinator prior to getting hired in Miami. In fact dating back to college Philbin has done very well running offenses. I also had Miami as one of my sleeper teams this year to out perform their expecations. People laughed when they were given hard knocks, but this team is actually better than the average all around team.

We know that Tannehill is still a project (started as WR in college) but he is having a good rookie year all things considered.

We know Brian Hartline is on pace for 82 catches and 1324 yards with 2td's this year. Hartline is 25 years of age (turning 26 in 2 weeks). He is 6 foot 2, 200 lbs. So he is not small. He was invited to the 2009 combine and ran a 4.52 forty. He also had a nice broad jump of 10'00" and ran a 3 cone drill of 6.65. The 3 cone drill is the most impressive it was the best WR result at the combine that year and not one WR from this past years draft class reached that result. He also has a 35 inch vertical.

We know that Hartline has not been consistent this year but part of that could be blamed on having a rookie QB. Hartline is on pace for 142 targets. So he is getting WR 1 type of targets and we know that Philbin being an offensive guy who has had success will continute to throw the ball going forward not only this year but in future years.

I think part of the problem with Hartline is no one believes he will keep up this type of performance. I don't think he will finish with 1300 yards, but he would have to crash and burn to not be successful going forward. I have never been one to bring race into the discussion but this appears to be a clear case. People don't feel he is skilled. They feel he is a one year wonder. Even FBG's have Hartline ranked in dynasty as the 60th best WR out there going forward.

What say you? Is Hartline a flash in the pan or is he being over looked?

Well, I don't think he is a true #1 nfl wr. I think he can flourish if he had a beast of a wr lining up across from him, always drawing the oppositions best cb and safety coverage. That would leave hartline in plenty of single coverage opportunities with mediocre CBs. Similar to the revival mike Williams (tb) is enjoying now across from vjax.

The good news is, like green bays offense when philbin was running it, the Miami offense should be able to support to 1000+ yard wrs for years to come.

As far as his qb, I think Tannehill has as much potential as any qb in football. I am very high on him.

So I think hartline is definitely a buy, but I think his upside for fantasy will never be greater than as a solid wr2.

Last edited by a moderator:
THe problem with Hartline is that a vast majority of his yards, catches, and targets have all come in three games. I have him on my roster, but I can't think of a situation where I'd be happy putting him in my lineup, because the bust risk is so high.

He obviously is doing well when the targets are there, but good luck predicting when that happens.

Sold him for a rookie 2nd rounder. I think the Dolphins get Tannehill a legit #1 WR next year.
ya, I think he'll be fine redraft the rest of the year although I did contemplate dropping him during a multi bye week but dynasty I think he'll likely be replaced as their #1 sooner rather than later. The fact they were rumored to be in the market for Bowe is likely the first bit of smoke but I think there will be fire and they will either draft someone high and/or trade/sign for a more proven option. Now that doesn't mean Hartline will be worthless as he'll still likely have a role but his main value is that he's a target magnet now due to the lack of other options and that may not be the case in the future.

Sold him for a rookie 2nd rounder. I think the Dolphins get Tannehill a legit #1 WR next year.
ya, I think he'll be fine redraft the rest of the year although I did contemplate dropping him during a multi bye week but dynasty I think he'll likely be replaced as their #1 sooner rather than later. The fact they were rumored to be in the market for Bowe is likely the first bit of smoke but I think there will be fire and they will either draft someone high and/or trade/sign for a more proven option. Now that doesn't mean Hartline will be worthless as he'll still likely have a role but his main value is that he's a target magnet now due to the lack of other options and that may not be the case in the future.
Is he really a target magnet though? Prior to this weekend's game, the last three games he had targets of 5, 0, and 6. The advantage with Hartline though, is that so far he's played only two games against teams that are outside of the top 11 in receiver scoring. From this point on, he plays the following...Titans - 26Bills - 23Seahawks - 7Patriots - 2849ers - 2Jaguars - 24Bills - 23(Source: Myfantasyleague numbers)Basically, he has five games out of his final seven against teams that are worse against receivers than ANY team he's played so far this year. I'll be honest, I had no idea his schedule looked so nice prior to looking up these stats, so I'm thinking he's a BUY in redraft (or a win-now dynasty team)...and the price is probably not that high. I would have sold him for relatively cheap prior to looking this info up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he really a target magnet though? Prior to this weekend's game, the last three games he had targets of 5, 0, and 6. The advantage with Hartline though, is that so far he's played only two games against teams that are outside of the top 11 in receiver scoring. From this point on, he plays the following...Titans - 26Bills - 23Seahawks - 7Patriots - 2849ers - 2Jaguars - 24Bills - 23(Source: Myfantasyleague numbers)Basically, he has five games out of his final seven against teams that are worse against receivers than ANY team he's played so far this year. I'll be honest, I had no idea his schedule looked so nice prior to looking up these stats, so I'm thinking he's a BUY in redraft (or a win-now dynasty team)...and the price is probably not that high. I would have sold him for relatively cheap prior to looking this info up.
ya, I guess I thinking about earlier on when he was top 10 through 5 weeks avging 10.6/game. He's since cooled a good bit since then.

Another point to consider is Tannehill has only thrown for 5 td's so far this year. That number will/should obviously go up as he grows. Therefore you would have to think that Hartline at least should tack on a few more td's.

I don't think Tannehill is a WR1 in NFL terms. In fact he would benefit with a true NFL wr1 lined up on the other side.

I think it has already been said. Hartline shapes up as a matchup play. The Colts are not St.Louis or the Jets, so he was able to play well against them. The only times he has not been able to produce WR1 type #s has been vs shutdown corners - i.e. Revis, Cromartie, Finnegan. Otherwise, he has been able to get at least 4 or 5 catches.

I think you sit him against Sea, and SF, but play him otherwise. He should be good for 7/70 at the least vs those other matchups

'GordonGekko said:
IMHO Tannehill has done a bang up job for a rookie QB1. There is genuine savvy in his play. He knows when to get rid of the ball, he can sense where rushers are and generally is making the correct decision on a consistent basis. I'm not a fan of Hartline and think he's going to be a lap dance type player. Lots of teasing and grinding, but at the end of the night, no cookie. I think this is more of a case where Tannehill is weaponizing Hartline than Hartline actually being a legit WR threat. That WR corps is pretty putrid, hate to say it. He also has a string of nagging injuries that seem to follow him. A true #1 can defeat good coverage. The average player will consistently give you something for something. Give him solid blocking on the O line, a good throw from the QB1, a good scheme by the coaching, he will produce. The elite guys can give you something for nothing. All hell breaks loose, things fall apart, but the guy will still rock solid give you some good old fashioned moondoggy. I don't think Hartline can produce with an elite shadow on him and with nothing else in the receiving corps, he's going to have to face the top matchup each week. Great for deep PPR league but I'd say he's a weekly plug in for bye coverage in a smaller non PPR redraft. I think you can do better at WR3 than Hartline in most leagues.
Well, the thing is, I don't think anyone thinks he is a #1. He is the de-facto #1 because he is the best WR they have. As you stated, being #1 for that WR corps is not hard to do. So when he gets a lot of targets, he should produce WR2/WR3 #s with the upside of big games against weak opponents. Hartline faces only 2 teams for the remainder of the season that can cover him. He has good matchups in the playoffs, so he is a hold for depth, and/or matchup plays

Why do you think you made out well in this trade? It is tough to gauge value in the second round of a rookie draft. What makes you think the player you get in that second round will accumulate points for your team and or ever amount to anything. I guess it all depends on where you are as a fantasy team and the direction you are heading but I think you would have been better off to wait and see what you had in Hartline. We are not talking about a late blooming player here that is turning 30 and having a career year. Hartline is still young. It appears the perception of many is Hartline is easily replaceable and or teams can find guys that can have production like him. It really is not as easy as that.I do think the Dolphins will add a WR for sure by draft or by free agency or both. They are not deep at WR so it is clearly a position of need. As mentioned Philbin came from Green Bay a place that had Jennings, Driver, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Finley and Cobb. You can never have enough talented players. However, just because a team adds a WR it does not mean the current guy (s) become useless.

'rickyg said:
Well, I don't think he is a true #1 nfl wr. I think he can flourish if he had a beast of a wr lining up across from him, always drawing the oppositions best cb and safety coverage.
So he's flourishing this season because he has a beast of a WR lining up across from him? Which guy is the beast, Bess or Gafney or that pratice squad guy?I agree that he likely will not remain an NFL WR1. Dolphin ownership has already stated that they need to add a true No. 1 WR this offseason (and as mentioned they flirted with trading for Bowe already), but he's done a fairly good job in that role so far without anyone to draw coverage away.

Why do you think you made out well in this trade? It is tough to gauge value in the second round of a rookie draft. What makes you think the player you get in that second round will accumulate points for your team and or ever amount to anything. I guess it all depends on where you are as a fantasy team and the direction you are heading but I think you would have been better off to wait and see what you had in Hartline. We are not talking about a late blooming player here that is turning 30 and having a career year. Hartline is still young. It appears the perception of many is Hartline is easily replaceable and or teams can find guys that can have production like him. It really is not as easy as that.I do think the Dolphins will add a WR for sure by draft or by free agency or both. They are not deep at WR so it is clearly a position of need. As mentioned Philbin came from Green Bay a place that had Jennings, Driver, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Finley and Cobb. You can never have enough talented players. However, just because a team adds a WR it does not mean the current guy (s) become useless.
I have to agree with this as well. A 2nd rounder is a HUGE question mark of value. At least with Hartline,you know there's some production there.With the amount of targets that Hartline gets, he cannot be discounted.

'rickyg said:
Well, I don't think he is a true #1 nfl wr. I think he can flourish if he had a beast of a wr lining up across from him, always drawing the oppositions best cb and safety coverage.
So he's flourishing this season because he has a beast of a WR lining up across from him? Which guy is the beast, Bess or Gafney or that pratice squad guy?I agree that he likely will not remain an NFL WR1. Dolphin ownership has already stated that they need to add a true No. 1 WR this offseason (and as mentioned they flirted with trading for Bowe already), but he's done a fairly good job in that role so far without anyone to draw coverage away.
I wouldn't really say he's flourishing. He's had one amazing game, two good games, and a bunch of duds.

I have to agree with this as well. A 2nd rounder is a HUGE question mark of value. At least with Hartline,you know there's some production there.With the amount of targets that Hartline gets, he cannot be discounted.
While I agree with much you have said, I have to say that if you are "in it to win it", I don't see where Hartline fits. I have no qualms with what he has done, but also feel this will be his best year (they will bring in one, if not two rookies/vets to compete in 2013). The real question from a fantasy standpoint is whether Tannehill leans on him consistently. Maybe I am jaded living in NC, but when it comes to Panthers QBs and WRs, it all runs through Smith. I think he is very good at his craft, but he also has benefited massively from being the only option...I don't see that in Miami now with Hartline, and certainly not in the future.As far as the 2nd rounder goes, it is a crapshoot, but truth is, even in a 10 team league, you need to be strong/consistent at every starting position. I would not mind starting Hartline as a WR3, but I also would like more consistency, since that is what is going to get me the crown.

'rickyg said:
I wouldn't really say he's flourishing. He's had one amazing game, two good games, and a bunch of duds.
Yes and no.In 5 of his 8 games this year Hartline has caught 4 balls or more. Now 4 is not great production as an average but even at 4 catches a game that would put him at 64 catches on the season. I know 64 is not great but I am talking about an average. Hartline is on pace for 82 cathces at the moment.Hartline has had a 1 catch game a 0 catch game and a 3 catch game. Those are definitely duds and can kill a fantasy week. The thing we want out of our fantasy players is consistency. Even on dud weeks when a WR only catches 3 or 4 balls you hope one could be a TD. Miami though is not throwing many passing TD's this year. Tannehill has only 5 passing TD's. That number will go up in time and most likely even through the second half of this season. Therefore perhaps Hartline can make up for some of those inconsistent weeks with the odd td sprinkled in.

Yeah, I think his inconsistency is a bit overstated. Just about all but the very elite WRs have some down weeks.

Not saying Hartline is a true #1 WR NFL receiver, but the inconsistency in and of itself is not the issue.

'rickyg said:
In both "good" games he cleared 100 yards. So that's 3 out of 8 games where he had over 100 yards (and over 250 in one of them). He went catchless in one game (a definate dud), but was never under 40 yards in his other in his other 4 "dud" games. I don't own Hartline anywhere and I'm not a huge beleiver but it seems people are going out of their way to try and disparage the guy.

'rickyg said:
In both "good" games he cleared 100 yards. So that's 3 out of 8 games where he had over 100 yards (and over 250 in one of them). He went catchless in one game (a definate dud), but was never under 40 yards in his other in his other 4 "dud" games. I don't own Hartline anywhere and I'm not a huge beleiver but it seems people are going out of their way to try and disparage the guy.
I own him and will most likely start him this week, but in my PPR, here are his numbers so far...Week 1 - 3/50/0 (8 points)Week 2 - 9/111/0 (20.1 points...good game)Week 3 - 1/41/0 (5.1 points)Week 4 - 12/253/1 (47.9 points...amazing game)Week 5 - 4/49/0 (8.9 points)Week 6 - 0/0/0 (0 points)Week 8 - 4/41/0 (8.1 points)Week 9 - 8/107/0 (18.7 points...good game)The 47.9 was obviously great, and I'd be fine with the points he put up in week 2 and 9. In weeks 1, 3, 5, 6, and 8 however, I would be really disappointed with his performance. With that said, his low performance games were against the Texans (stud defense), Jets (Revis/stud corners), Bengals (decent defense), Rams (against Finnegan), and the Jets again (stud corners). He has one game against the 49ers and one against the Seahawks left. Otherwise, he's playing against weak pass defenses, which is where his top 3 games (plus his best "bad" game) came from. I see an uptick in production coming from him...but at the same time, I can't discount his up and down performances so far.

Have him in the WR4/5/bye week filler for dynasty.
Really? That seems low to me.Let's assume you have him as a WR 4 in dynasty.In a standard 12 team league you start 3 WRs. That gives you a starting point of having 36 guys ranked ahead of him going forward. The WR 4 tier would be WR37 to WR 48. This seems absurdly low considering what we know of Hartline right now. In 2006, a 25 year old Miami Dolphin named Wes Welker caught 67 balls for 687 yards and 1 td. The Dolphins then thought they got a steal of a deal trading him to the Patriots for a 2007 second round pick. The Dolphins in 2007 went on and had a record of 1 and 15 while the Patriots with Welker's 112 catches for 1175 yards and 8 td's had a record of 16 and 0.

In 2006, a 25 year old Miami Dolphin named Wes Welker caught 67 balls for 687 yards and 1 td. The Dolphins then thought they got a steal of a deal trading him to the Patriots for a 2007 second round pick. The Dolphins in 2007 went on and had a record of 1 and 15 while the Patriots with Welker's 112 catches for 1175 yards and 8 td's had a record of 16 and 0.
How does Welker relate in any way to Hartline here? they have no similarities other than both having played for the Dolphins.

In 2006, a 25 year old Miami Dolphin named Wes Welker caught 67 balls for 687 yards and 1 td. The Dolphins then thought they got a steal of a deal trading him to the Patriots for a 2007 second round pick. The Dolphins in 2007 went on and had a record of 1 and 15 while the Patriots with Welker's 112 catches for 1175 yards and 8 td's had a record of 16 and 0.
How does Welker relate in any way to Hartline here? they have no similarities other than both having played for the Dolphins.
It is a matter of the color of their skin. Welker even to this day is not seen as someone overly athletic due to being white. However, what Welker is or has done is show he is every bit as athletic as anyone in the NFL. If Hartline was a black WR and was on pace for 82 catches and 1320 yards would there be as many people doubting him? It just appears that people are failing to see that perhaps there is some upside to Hartline. He has a 12 catch 253 yard game in the NFL. He also has 2 other 100 plus yard games this year. Remember he is 25 years of age and playing with a rookie QB. That to me is quite remarkable.The comparison was more so people had doubted Welker including the organization that traded him away. Since then he has the most receptions in the NFL to date. You are right Welker and Hartline are not the same type of player at all, but I believe there is a perception that Hartline is not going to be as good going forward due to being white.

I don't know how they relate.But I do know you quoted the wrong person :P

'Carter_Can_Fly said:
'Craig_MiamiFL said:
Have him in the WR4/5/bye week filler for dynasty.
Really? That seems low to me.Let's assume you have him as a WR 4 in dynasty.In a standard 12 team league you start 3 WRs. That gives you a starting point of having 36 guys ranked ahead of him going forward. The WR 4 tier would be WR37 to WR 48. This seems absurdly low considering what we know of Hartline right now.
Sure it seems low now as he'll likely finish this year as a WR3 as the only outside receiving weapon. I believe he's somewhere in area of WR20-25 right now. He won't be the Phins WR1 for long.I have him ranked 50th in my dynasty WR rankings. (WR4/5 ranking in standard 12 team league)You're probably just as well off holding him in dynasty. I don't see him fetching much personally.

Hypothetically speaking, would you trade Kendall Wright/Fred Jackson/Tim Tebow for him in a dynasty league?
Kendell Wright - no wayFred Jackson - Maybe...if I was completely out of it, but would try and do better first.Tim Tebow - yes, especially if I needed WR depth

There both White :popcorn:

I think the preferred term is 'cerebral'.

Interesting. Bump best/Hartline/tanneyhill.

I was able to get a first in 13 for him after his huge game, but it really came down to my team situation. I had him stashed in two leagues. One where I am a playoff team and one where I am rebuilding. I held him in the league I'm competitive and sold where I'm rebuilding. I personally would have held him if all I could get for him was a second. With what is expected to be a weak draft, a second rounder (unless it was 2.1 or 2.2) is just too much of a crapshoot. The first I got will likely be a mid round pick (6-10), which I think was a fair trade.

I think the preferred term is 'cerebral'.
I always thought it was 'scrappy'.

The upcoming schedule looks promising, looks like a strong WR3 to own from here on out facing those defenses.

Users who are viewing this thread